Florida Governor bans Vaccine passports

10 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I agree - except for the fact that they are handwritten, with no bar codes, etc. (at least here in NY). Too easy to erase a name, photocopy the card, etc.

The card at vaccination is a CDC card, presumably the same in all states. And the ease of forgery is what has led to some proposing vaccine passports, such as New York's Excelsior Pass, that verify your vaccination status to a central database.

Though if no one ends up requiring proof of vaccination it's kind of a moot point since they won't be needed anyway. But Norwegian has stepped in the direction of requiring vaccination.

1 minute ago, Stallion said:

Best advice-Just forget about the DeSantis executive order with regard to cruising. Its irrelevant since he has no jurisdiction over the requirements for international or interstate travel

OK, I'll assume you know more about it than I do. I just viewed cruise lines as a business operating in Florida (once cruises resume) so I assumed they'd need to follow Florida rules. Hope you're right.

20 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I agree - except for the fact that they are handwritten, with no bar codes, etc. (at least here in NY). Too easy to erase a name, photocopy the card, etc.

Couldn't there also be current fake and counterfeit documents that are in circulation? I would imaging that some have been presented prior to Cruising? This is a "work backwards" process in my opinion. You work to solve the "criminal and/or mischief" element then you build your somewhat "fool proof" system as a result of the findings. Again Carnival is a major US corporation and we have to trust that they will have all systems in place for our "total" safety.   

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I am not for the vaccine passports.  I don't see them as being feasible.  Its already a pain and expensive  to have them renewed every few years. Can you imagine the glut of new passports if that was implemented? 

Kind of hard for me to be against something that hasn't been implemented or actual details known.

Israel is a pioneer and the UK is taking a serious look at. Probably other countries.

If we are going to speculate, vaccine passports could become the de facto worldwide gold standard required by all or most countries. Covid is certainly not going to be the last pandemic

• Like 1

There is no universal method to prove vaccination.  I am perfectly fine if one is created.  DeSantis' executive order is not relevant anywhere other than Florida, and even then- enforceability against a cruise line operating at a Florida port is very legally questionable.   They can fight that out with each other while I do whatever I need to do to prove I am vaccinated to go on a cruise or travel overseas.   I am always amused when people on internet forums get all freaky about privacy and invasiveness of businesses or governments.  Accessing the internet, registering for a message board, posting, having an ISP or cell phone provider- all far more invasive to my personal privacy than a vaccine passport- and I am resigned to that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Since the vaccines are 95-98% effective and not 100%, that is probably actually better than 95% for those states. No one has ever said that the vaccines are 100% effective. Why does everybody jump on it when some people catch it after they have been vaccinated?

Exactly, why does everyone keep saying that sailing with all vaccinated guests means no cases of Covid? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Again my question was other than cruises and flying does anyone know of what this vaccine passport would be good for, for someone retired?

Anyone else know of anything? 

I think in the US the passport might be good to filter people into an environment which could negate the mask rule which to be honest would be nice.  For cruises and out of country travel it will probably be mandatory.  

A lot of countries will not allow unvaccinated people just getting off their ships and infecting their citizens.  So if a cruise ship is stopping in mexico and a private island a vaccine passport might not be needed.  But anywhere else and you will not be allowed to dock.  A situation with 500 passengers unvaccinated just means that no one even the vaccinated people can get off the ship.  At the end of the day the destinations will dictate the rules.   

30 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Exactly, why does everyone keep saying that sailing with all vaccinated guests means no cases of Covid? 

There will certainly be cases of past Covid. However, the Vaccine Passport will at minimum allow those treated to board and still enjoy the Cruise Life (Whatever that is going to resemble). There is certainly a chance that even with Vaccine Passports the ships could still have a quarantinable outbreak on board. That's the main push for the Vaccine Passport because we are still not 100% Safe.  

24 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The federal government will not mandate the use of vaccine passports for travelers or businesses post-pandemic, President Biden's chief medical adviser, Dr. Anthony Fauci, told the Politico Dispatch podcast Monday.

There you go.

One less hassle at check in.

The US might not but other countries could.  If you want to dock in that country then people will have to have the proof of vaccine.  Could make for some very dull cruises if you can only go to Mexico.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

We just got our second vaccines and our cards are not handwritten. They printed out a sticker for each shot with all the info and placed them on the card. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

The US might not but other countries could.  If you want to dock in that country then people will have to have the proof of vaccine.  Could make for some very dull cruises if you can only go to Mexico.

Or cruise lines could make it mandatory. Which isn't the same as the federal government mandating them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bitemyfly said:

my bldg in Manhattan is a ghost town. Maybe 30 percent full , know where they went ? lol .

t

My guess is snowbirds fly south for the winter but return home when weather gets too hot.

5 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The federal government will not mandate the use of vaccine passports for travelers or businesses post-pandemic, President Biden's chief medical adviser, Dr. Anthony Fauci, told the Politico Dispatch podcast Monday.

There you go.

Just because they won't mandate it, doesn't mean the businesses won't or other countries won't.

People will not move back to those high tax, states like New york, Jersey, california, they

will stay in Texas, Florida. We are having a housing boom right now, subdivisions 

going up everywhere here, must be the people moving in, not snowbirds.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

OK, I'll assume you know more about it than I do. I just viewed cruise lines as a business operating in Florida (once cruises resume) so I assumed they'd need to follow Florida rules. Hope you're right.

As noted, "rules for FL businesses" apply to only those businesses wholly doing business in FL.  Interstate businesses would need to meet requirements of any state involved, plus Federal regs regarding interstate commerce.  Go international, like cruising, and you have to throw an even wider net for regulations, including the requirements of those foreign ports.

Also, Desantis's Exec Order, if it really was considered something that harmed local businesses by forcing them to cater to "dangerous infectious" unvaccinated people (not saying that is the case), could be challenged in court.

16 hours ago, asalligo said:

I think people are saying that the chance of a true outbreak on board a ship where everyone is vaccinated is greatly reduced compared to a ship where 40% of the pax are unvaccinated, thus minimizing the "opportunity to enjoy" a shortened cruise to nowhere and mini-quarantines and added testing upon return to the US. 

At least, that's how I see it possibly panning out.  The mini-quarantines (say 3 or 5 days) would be imposed to ensure the vaccinated folks aren't asymptomatic carriers, and the testing would be what gets you out of the mini-quarantine after 3/5 days.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think people are saying that the chance of a true outbreak on board a ship where everyone is vaccinated is greatly reduced compared to a ship where 40% of the pax are unvaccinated, thus minimizing the "opportunity to enjoy" a shortened cruise to nowhere and mini-quarantines and added testing upon return to the US. 

At least, that's how I see it possibly panning out.  The mini-quarantines (say 3 or 5 days) would be imposed to ensure the vaccinated folks aren't asymptomatic carriers, and the testing would be what gets you out of the mini-quarantine after 3/5 days.

As long as there is still a probable possibility that an outbreak could occur we still need to exercise the guidelines asserted by the Medical Professionals. We simply can't be lulled into thinking that because we are all going to eventually receive the vaccinations that Covid suddenly ceases. Sorry to inform the masses that Covid is still rising in our major cities and states.    

12 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

As long as there is still a probable possibility that an outbreak could occur we still need to exercise the guidelines asserted by the Medical Professionals. We simply can't be lulled into thinking that because we are all going to eventually receive the vaccinations that Covid suddenly ceases. Sorry to inform the masses that Covid is still rising in our major cities and states.    

I guess Texas isn't a major city or state.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I guess Texas isn't a major city or state.

Just because the case numbers are dropping doesn't mean there is still not a big issue.  Dropping from a very, very high number to a number of daily cases that is still very high, is still not good by any means. 

Bottom line is cruising or not, people need to wear masks until this is contained.  I cannot fathom why people feel that doing so is such a huge deal.  This is not about "rights" it's about not getting sick/making others sick, and living.  I have worn n95 masks all day since last March and will continue to do so without complaint for the health and safety of my fellow humans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covid may be around for years and, at some point, life should go on.  The vaccine seems like it will help with minimizing hospitalizations and deaths from covid.  That should be good enough for every business to move forward.  If a cruise can sail without a passenger getting such a severe case of covid that it requires hospitalization, then it should be no different than any other illness.  Just quarantine the sick person and let the cruise carry on.  

I think the cruise lines should sail with only vaccinated passengers until they can show that cruising is actually fine.  Covid may never go away and I think some people think there needs to be zero cases before life can resume. 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2021 at 1:30 PM, HaveWeMetYet said:

There you go.

Please note the words, "post-pandemic," which may be years from now. So, what does that mean for now?

Please note also that Fauci changes his mind as often as he changes his socks.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2021 at 3:25 PM, MMastell said:

OK: The efficacy for the three major vaccines id 80-90% for contracting the virus and 100% effective preventing severe illness or death. Having said that what difference does it make if someone else is vaccinated or not. I can see foreign ports not allowing disembarkation otherwise it doesn't bother me.

I want them to keep enhanced cleaning not as much for COVID but more so for Norovirus.

I do believe everyone should get a vaccination but it should not be mandatory.

Take care, 

Mike

Good point 👍