Florida Governor bans Vaccine passports

My understanding is that his decision has nothing to do with what cruise ships require; he doesn't control that. He is against a citizen having to show proof of vaccination to, for example, enter a restaurant, movie theater, or barber shop. I've read that such control is beginning in Israel; i hope it's not the case. 

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

No one will be forced to take a cruise with unvaccinated folks. If you're that concerned about what might/could happen, stay home and leave the rest of us be. Don't feel safe on a cruise, don't go on a cruise. You are not forced to leave your house, you might get hit by a bus if you go out, who knows. I personally would rather live life and let what happens happen instead of living a life of worry.

Here in lies the heart of the economical debate is if vaxers stayed away from cruising, will there be enough anti vaxers to keep that industry afloat .

I say no

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Using your example, if 10% of those unvaccinated come up positive sometime during the cruise, that would mean 50 people came back with the virus. I can guarantee if any ship comes back with 50 passengers positive for the virus, cruising will be back at square one!!

I would change that to square ZERO. I think it would be all over for them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DD fun said:

I keep forgetting some people are part of the me first society. All that matters is what they want and the heck with everything else. If the cruise lines start encountering problems when they start up again then it could spell the end of our cruises as well as the cruise lines . Cruise lines need to be very careful for the near future and if that means vaccines then so be it. If you want cruises to continue then get the vaccine or enjoy other things until things ease up. Too much on the line to be selfish now.

I think even more dont seem to realize there is no sign that cruises will be restarting from the usa with or without the vaccine.

It's the people demanding control and cdc stopping any plans to restart. That's why rcl, celebrity and ncl moving offshore. All that is needed is your vaccine card, but here too many want to demand a national database. The card isnt enough.

Vaccinated cruises, boarding with a vaccine card should be allowed. .. out of usa. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

I think he is right, if there are 2000 vaccinated passengers and 500 more that decided they don't want to be vaccinated then that's on them, not the rest of us. Why should I be concerned about them if they don't care about themselves? You make your choices and you suffer the consequences. 

I depends on what the consequences are of some of those 500 coming down with Covid. If it means everyone on the ship needs to be quarantined, that would be a very big reason to be concerned.

• Like 3

hopefully the cruise lines will be smarter than the governor of Florida. it is their business that will be destroyed when they have an outbreak on the ship from people that do not care about others. the state of Florida should have no say in the rules of any company trying to keep their customers safe. it should be well known by now that the vaccines work and masking and distancing as well. hopefully in a year or so the pandemic will be gone and none of this will be required, but for now need to do the right thing and follow the guidelines in place to keep all safe and healthy.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/03/us/florida-covid-vaccine-passport-ban/index.html

In my opinion, bad move and will have complete opposite effect to restarting cruises

As a cruise passenger who is getting the vaccine, I would never go on a cruise if I knew there were passengers on board that don’t have the vaccine. And I think there are many like me which tells me that cruises will have trouble filling ships.

Thoughts ?

Good for him. Love living in a free state. Not a "show me your papers" state.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

My understanding is that his decision has nothing to do with what cruise ships require; he doesn't control that. He is against a citizen having to show proof of vaccination to, for example, enter a restaurant, movie theater, or barber shop. I've read that such control is beginning in Israel; i hope it's not the case. 

Let's see how well Israel quells the pandemic in their country. It will very interesting to see.

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Here in lies the heart of the economical debate is if vaxers stayed away from cruising, will there be enough anti vaxers to keep that industry afloat .

I say no

I got the vaccine and I'll gladly cruise with anyone regardless of their vaccination status. I'd bet there are a lot more that feel the same way. No matter which way this goes I don't think the cruise lines will have a problem filling their ships. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

I think he is right, if there are 2000 vaccinated passengers and 500 more that decided they don't want to be vaccinated then that's on them, not the rest of us. Why should I be concerned about them if they don't care about themselves? You make your choices and you suffer the consequences. 

The problem I see is if one of them (unvaccinated cruisers)  does get sick, it will turn the ship around and my vacation is affected. You would also have to worry about possibly being quarantined for two weeks ( there is back and forth if vaccinated people can carry the virus.)   which would force me to use more time off work.  That is why I am concerned about them because it can affect me and my vacation.  If it doesn't affect me then I wouldn't care less what they do or if they are on the ship.  This is why  I would personally prefer to  sail on a ship with vaccinated people.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

I have taken the vaccine. If you do not want to take it, it is ok with me. It is not required. Before the vaccine, I avoided covid with proper hygiene. I did not wear a mask until it was required by stores. I am at risk person (65 and artificial heart valve). I refuse to live in fear. I take the proper precautions have done well so far, as has my family. 

Don't get me wrong if it's required to cruise I'll be next in line I just don't understand how a virus with a 98%-99% recovery rate BEFORE the high risk were vaccinated would still be such a big deal after.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

The problem I see is if one of them (unvaccinated cruisers)  does get sick, it will turn the ship around and my vacation is affected. You would also have to worry about possibly being quarantined for two weeks ( there is back and forth if vaccinated people can carry the virus.)   which would force me to use more time off work.  That is why I am concerned about them because it can affect me and my vacation.  If it doesn't affect me then I wouldn't care less what they do or if they are on the ship.  This is why  I would personally prefer to  sail on a ship with vaccinated people.  

Those are your preferences for a cruise vacation. It is yet to be determined how the cruise lines respond. Based on their responses and protocols, you may have to eliminate some cruise lines from your vacation choice.

Carnival is the most economical cruise line in the market. They may implement strict protocols because they may not require vaccinations. Stricter than those requiring vaccines. Everyone will have to make a decision.

• Like 1

The vaccines are really effective at keeping people from suffering the most severe consequences of covid, but infections are still a possibility. And while the data are showing that vaccinated individuals are less likely to spread covid, it could still happen. So in theory, the only way to keep serious covid-19 cases from spreading would be to have everyone vaccinated. Otherwise, a vaccinated person could potentially infect an unvaccinated person...

Imagine the nightmare scenario of a more contagious varient speading on a cruise ship amonst the unvaccinated folks after one point of contact (a shared drink)... I really think everyone should have to have proof of vaccination to get on a cruise ship. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

Carnival is the most economical cruise line in the market. They may implement strict protocols because they may not require vaccinations. Stricter than those requiring vaccines. Everyone will have to make a decision.

If carnival is the most economical cruise line please explain why their prices right now are higher than some other lines. Have you compared prices lately?

As far as all this talk of allowing cruises with 50 with covid ...not a chance that carnival will sail with that high of a risk. That's why they arent moving toward sailing. Let's give it another month or two and see if any sign of herd immunity. We are quickly getting to where almost anyone who wants the vaccine can get it. After that the picture will be clearer.

Unless carnival decides to sail from other islands which they said no to, probably not until Nov.  Not unless we see big inroads to stopping covid. We are only a few months into vaccines. Lots of time ahead of us. Frankly I dont know if vaccines should be required in nov, though I'm good with it. Not with a passport, but I'm good with showing my card to board. 

yeah there is a 0% chance any cruise ship subject to CDC regulation is going to be leaving from a US port without fully vaccinated passengers and crew when cruising resumes. Those that think otherwise have been making similar incorrect arguments on this board for over a year now. The rest of us will be waving Bon Voyage to those people at the port. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rudyard said:

I got the vaccine and I'll gladly cruise with anyone regardless of their vaccination status. I'd bet there are a lot more that feel the same way. No matter which way this goes I don't think the cruise lines will have a problem filling their ships. 

I agree, as long as when a positive case appears on my cruise, only those who are not vaccinated need to quarantine and the fully vaccinated do not. Realistically, though, if any COVID cases start appearing on cruise ships, none of us will be sailing for a VERY long time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If carnival is the most economical cruise line please explain why their prices right now are higher than some other lines.

Supply and demand. It's called business. Carnival cruises from more home ports in the US so fewer people need to fly. My guess is Carnival has more short cruises which are more likely to sail than longer cruises.

Have you compared Carnival prices with RCCL for sailing from the Bahamas?

These times are not normal. Wait until cruising reaches steady state.

Too funny for people worried about their personal information. People who give the shots are required by law to report the information to the state. It's there.

"While the CDC itself doesn't have vaccination record information, providers are required to report vaccinations to their state's respective IIS or registry. Contact your state's listed phone number or email address to access your record and get your new card."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Supply and demand. It's called business. Carnival cruises from more home ports in the US so fewer people need to fly. My guess is Carnival has more short cruises which are more likely to sail than longer cruises.

Have you compared Carnival prices with RCCL for sailing from the Bahamas?

These times are not normal. Wait until cruising reaches steady state.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Too funny for people worried about their personal information. People who give the shots are required by law to report the information to the state. It's there.

"While the CDC itself doesn't have vaccination record information, providers are required to report vaccinations to their state's respective IIS or registry. Contact your state's listed phone number or email address to access your record and get your new card."

Carnival doesnt cruise from the Bahamas so of course I havent compared. I compare like to like as most people would. Galveston to Galveston.  I dont say well my banana costs more than your orange. Common sense isnt common.

Yes states maintain the shot record, not the federal govt, as would be with a vaccine passport. 

I have had my vaccines and have been able to move about without all that worry for almost a month now.  I feel safe!  I have seen how vaccine passports are being used in Israel.  You show it and are admitted into places or events where unvaccinated people are not.  I think that sounds great.  They do not need to wear masks.  Unfortunately in 2021, there us quite a bit of access to people getting your personal info should they want it.  There is no privacy anymore.  I am happy to allow the government to have access to my vaccination info since they are the ones that gave it out.  Don’t you think they know who has it?  It is a small price to pay to allow yourself to feel safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

//

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival doesnt cruise from the Bahamas so of course I havent compared. I compare like to like as most people would. Galveston to Galveston.  I dont say well my banana costs more than your orange. Common sense isnt common.

As I recall, you shop for the cheapest single cabin you can find. I typically am shopping balconies for two. Currently nothing scheduled from Galveston. Why would I compare your banana to my orange - so why did you ask if anyone had compared prices?  Indeed, common sense is not so common.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes states maintain the shot record, not the federal govt, as would be with a vaccine passport. 

No state government has ever been breached - NOT. Texas is on the list, TWICE. 50 states (maybe 51 or 52) means 50+ opportunities. Decentralized can be good and bad.

https://digitalguardian.com/blog/top-10-biggest-us-government-data-breaches-all-time

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

//

As I recall, you shop for the cheapest single cabin you can find. I typically am shopping balconies for two. Currently nothing scheduled from Galveston. Why would I compare your banana to my orange - so why did you ask if anyone had compared prices?  Indeed, common sense is not so common.

I'm looking at similar ships for same amount of days. Solo or not solo. Apples to apples. More balconies booked than anything else. 

So nothing you can compare that shows carnival is cheaper, figures, just talking around the question. Carnival prices ARE up, though I'm thinking it's due to the $600 obc, and when it's done, prices will be more than competitive. Out of 11 bookings I think 3 are insides, and one pr, inside view inside, though allure and oasis inside balconies. I do compare starting prices, but look at balconys since that is what I usually book. 1 or 2 pax, either it's cheaper or it isnt. My last canc cruise was a heck of a deal for a rcl hump balcony. Best deal I've ever seen, poof. 

I agree I do book the better deals on whatever line has them. That's why I have 179 loyalty carnival pts, in the past they were cheaper, right now with the $600 obc carnival is higher priced unless you are getting that $600. Facts are important. 

In the past carnival prices started around $400ish pp, right now the cheapest 7 days is almost $500 pp and the date doesnt work for me. (I'm watching because I'm expecting sept vista to get canc). I do watch prices, so very aware of the prices and trends. If I can book a boardwalk balcony for $1200 on allure, makes no sense to pay $1400 for a balcony on a carnival ship. To me 1200 is less than 1400, lol ... unless you are getting that 600 obc. I see nothing wrong with picking the cheaper price if I just want to cruise for a week. Right now rcl cheaper than carnival. If carnival was I'd book more with them, not just one. Carnival just getting too high. And yep I always compare. Math is my strong suit.