The Daily for Sunday Apr 04, 2021

richwmn

DH seems to remember getting a cannoli in Messina in 2019 and enjoying it.  

I finally finished our desert for our Easter dinner.  I started it yesterday, but ran out of time.  Then this morning, I had to wait several hours for the icing to warm up.

DSC09231.thumb.JPG.cdd0e11373a5130fbddd8e2d9326ab03.JPG

I used to make this cake at Easter when the DDs were still at home, but it's been years since one has graced our table.

Lenda

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Hello again!  Change of plan for us, DD decided to make a big Easter dinner and invited us down to share.  So I'll put off making ours. 🙂  We thought we wouldn't be seeing them for a few weeks because next week they're leaving on a road trip to OR and CA, so I'm happy.

DD has a squirrel problem in their neighborhood, and apparently some of the 48 plastic eggs with goodies inside that she hid in their yard were stolen by some squirrels.  Photos from this morning --

Squirrel escaping with one of the eggs

squirrel.jpg.eb51e1671980cb75c04207eb844d0f3e.jpg

A squirrel stole the peanut butter cup that was inside this one.

1141448245_peanutbuttercup.thumb.jpg.0ef920f91c0aef9962f49776dfce7193.jpg

You definitely need Mark Rober to intervene with those squirrels....

(Or maybe I should loan you our Golden Retriever. Umm, second thought, no. He would find all the eggs and eat all the chocolate. And ask for more.)😜

(Here’s a very concise version of his video.) 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 12
  • Haha 4

Good Morning All,

And Happy Easter!

We have a lovely day, maybe a bit on the warm side. Am planning to hit the trail soon with my bike. 

Attended virtual service this morning. Yesterday is 2 weeks since my second covid vaccine so in theory, my immunity should be “ripe”. Will probably return to in person worship indoors soon, as long as masks remain required attire. Our church also meets outside on Saturday evening.

Dinner tonight is tri tip on the barbecue (parrilla style), with potatoes, asparagus and a pavlova with kiwi and lemon curd. 

@lcand1923 What was the greeting prior to Vatican 2?

• Like 16

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

But, but...who's driving??

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.c536771774e4ed2e07bb4323f098f546.jpg

The gent on the right (the hotel director) certainly should not be because, if he was, we'd all be up a creek without a paddle.............. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Happy Easter  Everyone!

I have sure enjoyed everyones pictures from their cruises on Easter.  I loved seeing the squirrel egg thief.  We are laying low this Easter we had our second Covid vaccination on Friday and have been pretty fatigued.  I have a ham in the refrigerator but can wait to cook it later this week just to tired for a big meal.

I did manage to make a potato salad, as I had cooked the eggs and potatoes yesterday, so just had to mix it today.  I laughed when I accidentally dropped a piece of egg on the floor (the white part)  I called Holly pup over to clean it up, well she is the first dog I have known that apparently doesn't like eggs!  She licked it and pushed it around then carried it to her mat and left it there!

Take care and enjoy this beautiful day.

Denise

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Happy Resurection Day or as commonly known Happy Easter. There was a goodly number of people in church today, unfortunately there was very little masking. They do enforce social distancing however. Still seems strange to not have handshakes and hugs after Sunday Service.

Our youth minister and his family were not in attendance today as their baby girl made her appearance. Much nicer to have an Easter baby instead of an April Fool's baby which was the due date.

Since I am cooking for only me, myself and I dinner today will consist of a ham steak, deviled eggs and brocolli cheese cassarole.

And wine, later.

Jane

• Like 14

47 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Happy Easter  Everyone!

I have sure enjoyed everyones pictures from their cruises on Easter.  I loved seeing the squirrel egg thief.  We are laying low this Easter we had our second Covid vaccination on Friday and have been pretty fatigued.  I have a ham in the refrigerator but can wait to cook it later this week just to tired for a big meal.

I did manage to make a potato salad, as I had cooked the eggs and potatoes yesterday, so just had to mix it today.  I laughed when I accidentally dropped a piece of egg on the floor (the white part)  I called Holly pup over to clean it up, well she is the first dog I have known that apparently doesn't like eggs!  She licked it and pushed it around then carried it to her mat and left it there!

Take care and enjoy this beautiful day.

Denise

Understand! Take care!

• Like 4

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Our Easter Blessing this year was Pfizer vaccines. DH had his first dose on Tuesday. My age group became eligible for booking appointments on Wednesday and I received my first dose yesterday. The process was very efficient. Both of us were in and out in 20 minutes including the 15  minute wait post injection.

We'll be having baked ham for our Easter dinner. Like others, it will be just DH and I as Ontario is  currently in lockdown. Technically, DS could join us as he lives alone and is allowed to visit one other household but with our numbers rising especially with the variants, we decided I'd deliver his dinner.

We have not visited Messina but have been to Catania. A must on that visit was a stop for cannoli. DH and I often share a dessert, but I was told well in advance that he was getting his own. When the server brought them,  they were huge and we could have easily shared. It was delish. I would like to return to Sicily on a land trip to really explore the island.

• Like 12

Good afternoon and Happy Easter to all! 

Gorgeous weather today here in Branson with sun and my favorite temperature-72 degrees! My daughters did a 4 mile hike over by Lake Taneycomo below the Table Rock Lake dam.

We will have baked ham and grilled salmon (for the vegetarian daughters) with mashed potatoes & fresh carrots. I didn’t get back from Bentonville AR until late in the day yesterday so I did not make a special dessert. I think we will have ice cream sundaes.

Just watching the golfers this afternoon (some good, some not so good). We found two golf balls in our front yard the other day 😳

Prayers for those on the care list and a toast to all in celebration. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 12

4 hours ago, bobpatj said:

we went to Taormina for the day,

Taormina is fabulous 🙂. We went there at another port and truly enjoyed our time there.  It’s a wonderful spot.

I think you chose well 😄 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

A squirrel stole the peanut butter cup that was inside this one.

If we were closer, I’d bring my two bundles of trouble.  Marley’s “woof” and Miko’s enthusiasm would be enough to rid you of your squirrels.

They gave chase to one today who was on “their property” and Marley let out a “woof” (he rarely does that but it is big and loud) and the squirrel dropped whatever it was and scurried back to the garden.  

The dogs could only watch frustrated.  (They are not allowed in the gardens 😉 ).   Poor boys 😂 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Happy Easter, a bit late, to all who celebrate!

Our church held an outdoor 12:30 "sunrise" service today, in addition to the normal services, all restricted attendance, of course! DH was happy because he could sit in the car & participate! It's been several months since he was able to attend. 

Our dinner was honey-baked ham, green bean casserole, and a nice rose ( for me).

• Like 12

Happy Easter to you all.  We had a great weekend.  Weather was very nice and surprisingly warm for the Oregon coast.  Ready to jump into the week with transporting the grandkids to and from school.  Granddaughter got her glasses on Saturday.  She is 7 years old and picked out pink frames.  I can't wait to see her in person tomorrow morning.  But my daughter warned me not to say she was "cute".  Nice, pretty, beautiful is fine but she doesn't want to be cute!!  Oh what must go thru her 7 year old mind.

Hope everyone was able to enjoy a wonderful Easter.  Prayers and toasts to all.  Thank you Rich, Roy and all who post.  🐰 🐣🥚🌻🙏

• Like 14

Back on March 20 the meal suggestion was Country Ham and Potatoes. 

Country-Ham-and-Potatoes_EXPS_CIMZ17_422

I tried my own version for Palm Sunday.  It turned out ok but nothing to rave about:

893651315_DSCF8470(Small).JPG.955371b10db35f11aa525f0cede4d9c7.JPG

In any case today I went with the current meal suggestion and it was quite nice.

475353126_DSCF8471(Small).JPG.6619b26b055ac5fcc74f8b31007d0f0e.JPG

Roy

• Like 20

A bit of sad news today. We discussed Belize on a recent Daily and I mentioned that the Belize Zoo was founded by a woman from Baltimore, MD. Today's paper contained the obituary for this remarkable woman Sharon Matola. She was called the "Jane Goodall of the jaguars". We met her when we visited the zoo a number of years ago and were impressed by her passion to rescue these endangered animals.  RIP Ms. Matola. 

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cruisepucks said:

We have not visited Messina but have been to Catania. A must on that visit was a stop for cannoli. DH and I often share a dessert, but I was told well in advance that he was getting his own. When the server brought them,  they were huge and we could have easily shared. It was delish. I would like to return to Sicily on a land trip to really explore the island.

DH does not share his cannoli either!  From Catania, we visited  Caffe Sicilia, in Noto, a  famous paticcerie in Sicily featured on Chef’s Table on Netflix.  C1729A80-7FDF-4971-AA5A-922BE4D6A511.thumb.jpeg.77a33082d46f45b075766f917dccb729.jpeg

• Like 10

Thanks to Rich for the daily, and to Roy for the lists, alternative menu and photos.

It's another sunny day, with a gentle wind.

Appreciate seeing all the photos of Messina, a port we have not visited.

Keep well, stay safe  everyone.

• Like 8

Belated Happy Easter as I got here very late today.  Mass was.Beautiful  today and then spent the day with fully vaccinated family.  It was 82 when I came home this afternoon.  My afternoon wine lulled me into a nap.

The pictures of Messina have been so enjoyable.  Something about Messina makes me think of the movie “Patton” so will have to look it up.

One birthday of mine we were on HAL.  I think it was the Rotterdam (2 ships ago) and it was Easter.  Great memories, but no pictures.  It was in the late 80’s.  

Have a good night.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.It is chilly here this morning  but promises to be 50 or so later.Baked ham and scalloped potatoes will ne on the menu.As grandma,I do dishes and leave the cooking to the younger folk.What fun!

I can't  find a newsman but will hug grandchildren,DH,DS and DDIL happily. We have cruised to Italy but not the port.Have a great day everyone.     Terry

Sounds like our family Easters [and Christmases] Ham and escalloped potatoes. One of my favorite meals. [no glazes - please - ugh!!]  😄

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@lcand1923 What was the greeting prior to Vatican 2?

That was the greeting prior to Vatican 2.  When I would go to Easter morning Mass, the priest would start the Mass with, "He is Risen, Alleluia, Alleluia!"  And the congregation would respond with, "He is Risen Indeed, Alleluia, Alleluia!"  If there was a choir, it would be sung.  Otherwise, it would be chanted by priest and congregation,  Post Vatican 2, it is just the normal Opening for Mass.  (Except for the Easter Vigil Mass which is a different liturgy.

Himself, please feel free to correct me.  I'm working from a little girl's memory which can be wrong!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

That was the greeting prior to Vatican 2.  When I would go to Easter morning Mass, the priest would start the Mass with, "He is Risen, Alleluia, Alleluia!"  And the congregation would respond with, "He is Risen Indeed, Alleluia, Alleluia!"  If there was a choir, it would be sung.  Otherwise, it would be chanted by priest and congregation,  Post Vatican 2, it is just the normal Opening for Mass.  (Except for the Easter Vigil Mass which is a different liturgy.

Himself, please feel free to correct me.  I'm working from a little girl's memory which can be wrong!

Thank you.

I attend a non-liturgical church (now independent) that broke off from the Quakers some 15/20 years ago. We use “He is risen” and “He is risen indeed” as our greeting and start of service.

We also practice communion with the elements and water baptism for those who desire. (The pastor lead, Quaker meeting we left was starting to do both when we broke off.)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you.

I attend a non-liturgical church (now independent) that broke off from the Quakers some 15/20 years ago. We use “He is risen” and “He is risen indeed” as our greeting and start of service.

We also practice communion with the elements and water baptism for those who desire. (The pastor lead, Quaker meeting we left was starting to do both when we broke off.)

Isn't it amazing how closely related faith practices are? 

I am a Cradle Catholic who is still a Practicing Catholic (as I always say, "One Day I will get it right!"), but I love attending services at other churches and/or reading about their faith practices.  I have had many a discussion about how/when/why someone's memories of a part of their liturgy was adjusted.