CDC Open To U.S Cruising This Summer

Cruising89143

1 hour ago, treesah said:

Thank you.  That's encouraging.

Yes.  As long as the cruise lines can meet the framework phase goals by mid-summer.  

“CDC is committed to working with the cruise industry and seaport partners to resume cruising following the phased approach outlined in the conditional sailing order,” CDC spokeswoman Jade Fulce said in a response to questions about Carnival. “This goal aligns with the desire to resume passenger operations in the United States expressed by many major cruise ship operators and travelers; hopefully, by mid-summer with restricted revenue sailings.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, travelhound said:

It's looking much better 🙂

I'm sorry, but what is so different from last Friday's CDC announcement?  As long as the cruise lines can meet the phased CSO goals they can seek permission to sail by mid-summer.  The ball is still in the cruise lines' court.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I'm sorry, but what is so different from last Friday's CDC announcement?  As long as the cruise lines can meet the phased CSO goals they can seek permission to sail by mid-summer.  The ball is still in the cruise lines' court.  

My thoughts exactly! I don't see anything different than what has already been said.  The cruise lines still need to comply with stated goals and plans. 

• Like 3

Carnival has changed its tune about never leaving the US Ports - now they say they are considering it.  Sounds like they are dialing up the pressure on CDC - or possibly bluffing. I wonder if Princess would consider moving a home port from Ft. Lauderdale to Cozumel or possibly some other island in the Caribbean

• Like 2

I encourage you to read the CDC's actual demands on their web site. It's an interesting read. I'm not sure the current US CDC "plan" makes sense for cruise lines at all, especially when no other transport is subjected to the vast majority of the elements. Can you imagine cruise lines holding contracts to immediately house guests shoreside in the case of quarantine and ensure that each unit has completely separate ventilation? How about a 12-hour  "down time" between use for embarkation and debarkation for any enclosed space? Thats only two of the many elements.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

Carnival has changed its tune about never leaving the US Ports - now they say they are considering it.  Sounds like they are dialing up the pressure on CDC - or possibly bluffing. I wonder if Princess would consider moving a home port from Ft. Lauderdale to Cozumel or possibly some other island in the Caribbean

That bluff could be called fairly easily as such a location doesn't have the infrastructure to support thousands of cruisers coming and going, staying over prior to a cruise, etc.  Princess abandoned San Juan a number of years back as it must not have made economic sense.  We cruised with them out of there twice and although the flight was longer than to FLL, it was cool to be already in the Caribbean and able to get to more places in a week than from FLL (we were pretty much sticking to one-week voyages at that time).

I like the vibe of leaving from San Juan.  I wish Princess would return there. If the choice is leaving from San Juan or not cruising, I wonder how many folks would fly to PR.  

1 minute ago, Tak8 said:

I like the vibe of leaving from San Juan.  I wish Princess would return there. If the choice is leaving from San Juan or not cruising, I wonder how many folks would fly to PR.  

So do we. The best was the years Celebrity did 10 & 11 night sailings out of SJ. We love Puerto Rico.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

Think the issue there is that PR is a US territory.  Does the CDC reach extend to there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GonzoWCS said:

Think the issue there is that PR is a US territory.  Does the CDC reach extend to there?

Yes, San Juan is part of the United States and the CDC has jurisdiction. San Juan is not in the running as a foreign port.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beg3yrs said:

Yes, San Juan is part of the United States and the CDC has jurisdiction. San Juan is not in the running as a foreign port.

Thought so but not the jurisdiction expert.  Thanks for the quick response!

23 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Thought so but not the jurisdiction expert.  Thanks for the quick response!

Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands fall under CDC Jurisdiction...so all ports in those areas are considered US ports.

Edited by USCcruisecrazy

Ha ha, let's be complete here. Besides the fifty states, here are the US territories from which there will be no cruises (not that there would be from most of them anyway ...):

The United States currently administers 16 insular areas as territories:
  • American Samoa.
  • Guam.
  • Northern Mariana Islands.
  • Puerto Rico.
  • United States Virgin Islands.
  • Minor Outlying Islands. Bajo Nuevo Bank. Baker Island. Howland Island. Jarvis Island. Johnston Atoll. Kingman Reef. Midway Islands. Navassa Island. Palmyra Atoll.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That bluff could be called fairly easily as such a location doesn't have the infrastructure to support thousands of cruisers coming and going, staying over prior to a cruise, etc.  Princess abandoned San Juan a number of years back as it must not have made economic sense.  We cruised with them out of there twice and although the flight was longer than to FLL, it was cool to be already in the Caribbean and able to get to more places in a week than from FLL (we were pretty much sticking to one-week voyages at that time).

We cruised Princess out of San Juan and loved leaving from there! Would do it again, if they ever go back to it!

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'd sail from St Marteen 

We are booked on the June 12th Celebrity out of St Maarten for a 7 day around 4 islands. It was a little pricey and the part we do not like is the flight there and back. Adds to the cost and is not at all convenient. It is the price we have to pay to get back on the ocean!

It was so much better when we could sail from Florida, just a car ride for us!

• Like 3