Breakfast on the morning of disembarkation

rkacruiser

Sometimes whatever is left! We've been on cruises where they've run out of bananas, half and half, one or the other kind of juice, or other things. On one cruise, I saw a fellow passenger ask for milk for their tea and get coffee creamer (yuck).

Since we're usually traveling on disembarkation day, I try to get a substantial breakfast that's not too fatty, because eating at the airport usually isn't great. I'll sometimes grab a box of dry cereal to go. 

• Like 1

Disembarking a ship in the morning is more difficult for me if I have a "full tummy" if I have a car in a parking garage.  Those mornings, a light breakfast is appropriate.  If room service is available, a service of OJ, coffee, a couple of croissants and/or danish is my preferred breakfast.  If there is no room service, I will go to the buffet restaurant and get something like that.

If I have a cruise line arranged transfer that depends on someone else dealing with the luggage for part of the disembarkation, a more complete breakfast can be ordered either by room service or in the MDR.  

The best morning breakfast on that last day was on Carnival Freedom when I was transferring directly to the Noordam the same day.  Noordam was at Port Everglades Pier 26 and Carnival Freedom was at an adjoining pier.  I had a full MDR breakfast on Freedom, returned to my cabin and sat on my balcony until the final notice came on the PA to "get the heck off the ship".  Breakfast had comfortably settled, I got to the parking garage, and exchanged the clothes stored in my car I needed from one cruise, and then proceeded to go to the terminal to embark the Noordam. 

To the credit of the MDR staff on Carnival Freedom, their service on that last morning was a good as it had been on previous mornings when I dined there.   

It depends on my daily schedule.  If I am catching a quick flight home and will be home by early afternoon I will just have yogurt and coffee, something safe for the stomach.   If I am going for a full day of touring I have a country breakfast with eggs, bread, cheese, something to last the day.  

• Like 1

On Disembarkation Day: The last thing I have on my mind is food.  Just a roll or croissant with coffee is fine.  After days of eating I need to wind down.  I never request room service on that day...the personnel have enough to worry about with turning the ship around.  Disembarkation Day is the worst day of the week!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I never request room service on that day...the personnel have enough to worry about with turning the ship around. 

One of the amenities offered to HAL guests in the past has been to order room service breakfast on disembarkation day and to remain in one's stateroom until your disembarkation group is called.

I take advantage of that more often than not.  

On 4/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, rkacruiser said:

a service of OJ, coffee, a couple of croissants and/or danish is my preferred breakfast

On MSC Meraviglia, as a YC guest, I went to the Restaurant that last morning for a light breakfast.  When I told my Steward what I wanted, a quizzical look appeared on his face and he said something like "that's all, are you sure"?  I would have used the YC Pool Grill venue for that morning's breakfast, but it was not open.  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

One of the amenities offered to HAL guests in the past has been to order room service breakfast on disembarkation day and to remain in one's stateroom until your disembarkation group is called.

I take advantage of that more often than not.  

Nice perk!  I think I would probably opt for that too.

On MSC Meraviglia, as a YC guest, I went to the Restaurant that last morning for a light breakfast.  When I told my Steward what I wanted, a quizzical look appeared on his face and he said something like "that's all, are you sure"?  I would have used the YC Pool Grill venue for that morning's breakfast, but it was not open.  

Well after all...it’s the Yacht Club.😁

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A memory from the past on this date according to my journal:  disembarkation morning from the 2008 Grand World Cruise aboard the Amsterdam.

Breakfast that morning was an unusual one for me on disembarkation day.  (But, I was a bit younger then.)  Breakfast was in the MDR.  My menu was OJ, grapefruit, croissants, scrambled eggs and ham, Roesti Potatoes, and coffee.  This was a much larger breakfast than I now consume when I disembark a cruise.  

Why did I order such a large breakfast, I now wonder?  Maybe it was because I knew that I had a post-cruise hotel stay in Fort Lauderdale (so I could reunion with a friend who lived in Boca Raton), we were told there would be many Porters to help with luggage and the arrangements made by HAL for luggage shipments "sounded" unstressful.  My required "efforts" sounded minimal, so I could "withstand" a full tummy.  

As it turned out, it was a longer than expected disembarkation after a very early 5:15 A. M. rising in order to get to my assigned time for Customs/Immigration.  Such a large breakfast had plenty of time for my digestive system to "process" the food without making me feel "not a wise thing to have done, rka".  

Edited by rkacruiser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

disembarkation day breakfast    is the introduction to the real world...

Generally Juice, coffee and an omelet with toast.

one goes from specialty restaurant, were everything is made to order,,

back to club class in MDR... which is still very good...

Then back home, to cooking, driving adn cleaning up...

Don

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

with Marmite or Vegemite or.....?

What ingredients do you like to order for your omelet?  

Toast to be had with omelet... so simple butter, with a little more butter...

Omelet, keep it simple.... Cheese

Use vegemite  at home on toast, but sparingly

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What ingredients do you like to order for your omelet?  

Omelets......

Western Omelet...Onion, Ham, Green Pepper and Mushroom...

Simple.........Shallots, Chopped Smoked Ham, Tarragon.....before closing the half flap - Shredded Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar......

Elegant ........Scrambled Eggs, Chopped Scallions, Shredded Smoked Salmon...When done - squeeze of lemon....

On 5/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Omelets......

Western Omelet...Onion, Ham, Green Pepper and Mushroom...

That's my preference for a Western Omelet as well.

Vegetarian Omelet:  Mushrooms, Green Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes, a bit of Spinach, with a sprinkle of black olives.  Adding some Swiss Cheese might adds to my enjoyment with this omelet.  

A seafood based omelet is also good.  A mixture of crab/shrimp along with a cheese of some type can be delicious.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I still don't know since I never ordered it or is it available, I use to like as a child Soft Boiled Egg.

So creamy use to open up the top and spoon that silky yolk.

At least on HAL ships in their Lido Restaurant, boiled eggs of different duration of cooking usually are available.  In the MDR, I have observed someone ordering a soft boiled egg served in an egg cup.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

At least on HAL ships in their Lido Restaurant, boiled eggs of different duration of cooking usually are available.  In the MDR, I have observed someone ordering a soft boiled egg served in an egg cup.  

I believe you are talking about a 3 minute egg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I believe you are talking about a 3 minute egg.

I have no idea.  Eggs prepared and served in an egg cup is something that I have no interest and would not order.  I only stated what I observed.  

53 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have no idea.  Eggs prepared and served in an egg cup is something that I have no interest and would not order.  I only stated what I observed.  

I have one of the old fashion timer that you use to turn up and down to time the egg being boiled.

I don't remember if it's a 2 or 3 minute timer. Have to time it someday.

My DW has Egg Cup my mother gave her she brought on the HAL Rotterdam Gift Shop.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My DW has Egg Cup my mother gave her she brought on the HAL Rotterdam Gift Shop.

A maritime artifact that has a $ value.  I am on the e-mail list for a maritime artifact dealer and sometimes am amazed at what "stuff" is available and what it's value is.  

Sometimes looking at the gentleman's web site, I then have to pour myself another glass of wine when I see items that I once had and see what their value is today!  

• 3 weeks later...

I love omelets too......various fillings............mushrooms, cheese, (multiple cheeses are even better), ham or bacon.....usually they are making it at the omelet station so there are other ingredients but right now I am drawing a blank LOL

• Like 1