A Perfect cruise

lenquixote66

7 hours ago, iancal said:

We have had lots of them.   I believe it comes down to your outlook on life and your expectations.   

That is the ticket!!  It is always good to be around positive people.  

7 hours ago, iancal said:

We have been of a few cruises where our tablemates complained about everything and compared everything down to the elevator carpets to their favourite cruise line.   

Some folk seem incapable of having a positive experience.   Or seem to need negativity.   Just like how some posters have the need to share how much they would dislike someone else's experience.   

11 hours ago, clo said:

I'm so glad that our last three cruises had no picture sales.

We have 2 pictures. The first is from our first cruise on formal night, and it makes it look like the ship was the Titanic. We never bought another photo, but we do have one more as a free photo and frame was included in our Baltic cruise. We gave the photo to my mother.

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is the ticket!!  It is always good to be around positive people.  

Some folk seem incapable of having a positive experience.   Or seem to need negativity.   Just like how some posters have the need to share how much they would dislike someone else's experience.   

Why does it have to be either a 100% positive (perfect) or negative (hated)?  There aren't many things in normal life, including cruises, that are at these extremes.

I can like 80% of a cruise, dislike 20% of it, and still say it was fun and enjoyable.  Most of life is spent living in the area between perfect and imperfect.

I think our 2017 cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii return on Star Princess was near perfection. Several weeks before cruise, there was a sale for picture packages. Price reduced from $249 to $99 for all pictures, including a digital copy. Our dear travel agents and friends helped us with booking and things to do at all stops on the different islands of Hawaii.  We boarded ship and started to unpack when there was a knock on the door.  Our travel agents were in the next cabin. They had decided to join us. Great balcony cabin, amazing scenery, great friends, excellent foods. What more can you expect?

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Why does it have to be either a 100% positive (perfect) or negative (hated)?  There aren't many things in normal life, including cruises, that are at these extremes.

I can like 80% of a cruise, dislike 20% of it, and still say it was fun and enjoyable.  Most of life is spent living in the area between perfect and imperfect.

I agree.  My comment is more about an attitude.  Like the cup being half full or half empty.  Especially when talking about little unimportant things that happen on a cruise ship.   

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree.  My comment is more about an attitude.  Like the cup being half full or half empty.  Especially when talking about little unimportant things that happen on a cruise ship.   

Attitude is very important😜

627049569_ScreenShot2021-04-13at12_49_37AM.png.3542ec7d558b105eeb5e1302816540da.png

• Like 4

I have yet to experience a perfect vacation, but I have had many including cruises that were really special.  For me, some level of novelty in terms of experience/destinations seems to make a difference in how I feel.  I hope I never get to the point where it's all so familiar that I fail to feel any emotion or excitement in travelling.  

BTW  - I appreciate all the comments on having a positive outlook and recognizing that travel is simply a part of life and therefore never perfect.

Edited by SelectSys

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We have 2 pictures. The first is from our first cruise on formal night, and it makes it look like the ship was the Titanic. We never bought another photo, but we do have one more as a free photo w\

and frame was included in our Baltic cruise. We gave the photo to my mother.

We're packing to put our home on the market and came across one of those. Took it out of the graduation style holder and threw it in with the other family 'stuff.'

2 hours ago, peperadar said:

I think our 2017 cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii return on Star Princess was near perfection. Several weeks before cruise, there was a sale for picture packages. Price reduced from $249 to $99 for all pictures, including a digital copy. Our dear travel agents and friends helped us with booking and things to do at all stops on the different islands of Hawaii.  We boarded ship and started to unpack when there was a knock on the door.  Our travel agents were in the next cabin. They had decided to join us. Great balcony cabin, amazing scenery, great friends, excellent foods. What more can you expect?

Our best cruise, which I wrote about in an earlier reply, was also on the Star Princess. It was in 2007, which I believe is one year after the fire she experienced.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever been on a cruise where everything was perfect ? Great food,wonderful shore excursions,great activities ,very nice passengers ?

yes sir.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

...My comment is more about an attitude.  Like the cup being half full or half empty.  ...

Does it depend upon what is in the cup?   If you were preparing for a colonoscopy would you be happier that you had at least forced down half of your citrate of magnesia than you would be if you still had a half cup of you life-giving first morning coffee to sip?

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:02 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Does it depend upon what is in the cup?   If you were preparing for a colonoscopy would you be happier that you had at least forced down half of your citrate of magnesia than you would be if you still had a half cup of you life-giving first morning coffee to sip?

Having a positive attitude does not mean negative things won't happen.  I think your example would be in that category.   And of course a negative colonoscopy result is a positive thing.    But again, my comment is about attitude in general.  Some thrive on a positive attitude.   Others might like to find the negative in everything.   

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 1:02 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I happen to love the taste of magnesium citrate and have not had a morning coffee since 1996.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

Having a positive attitude does not mean negative things won't happen.  I think your example would be in that category.   And of course a negative colonoscopy result is a positive thing.    But again, my comment is about attitude in general.  Some thrive on a positive attitude.   Others might like to find the negative in everything.   

Anyone in a 12 step program would agree with you.  When I operated recovery homes, I would tell the residents that an "attitude of gratitude" would help them maintain their recovery.  "Progress. not perfection" was the goal, and those seeking a perfect recovery would be doomed to failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I knew it!  You wrote that rap song "Im just a regular guy".      Hahaha

I last took prescription medicine in 2013.However,in 2021 I am taking 4 which all have a distinctive side effect causing me to need magnesium citrate.Mrs.66 had an interesting thing to say about this which I cannot post here but I am sure you can guess.😀

• Haha 1