Face Masks and Cruising

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

In Ontario right now your bubble is your immediate house hold. You are not to gather with anyone else.  You are not supposed to leave your house for other reasons except for groceries, medical appointments and work.  The government is imploring people to work from home if they can. 

The situation with golf courses overall is people are not playing with just those from their house, not wearing masks, and not staying 6’ apart. Last summer when the province was having nominal cases it didn’t really matter but now with variants running rampant the province said no.  No tennis, basketball, baseball are not allowed either at this time. Kids sports are not happening now, and nor did they last summer. 

I’m a member of a club and have seen it first hand.  I have also seen on FB photos of people I know together at clubs standing with arms around each other’s shoulders for group photos. They were not from the same household. It’s not everyone who is doing this but with a stay at home order for 6 weeks golf was added to the list this lockdown. Skiing was during the last one, and relaxed to be allowed after the lockdown was over. 

Golf courses are OUTSIDE.  Quite possibly the safest place to be with the lowest risk of transmission.  Masks not necessary.    No tennis either?  Your gov't is as crazy as our governor was a year ago. 

It makes no sense to force people to stay indoors when being outside is a far more healthy and lower risk place to be.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D C said:

Golf courses are OUTSIDE.  Quite possibly the safest place to be with the lowest risk of transmission.  Masks not necessary.    No tennis either?  Your gov't is as crazy as our governor was a year ago. 

It makes no sense to force people to stay indoors when being outside is a far more healthy and lower risk place to be.   

People are not being forced to stay inside.  Exercise, in addition to all the other activities A&L_Ont identified are permitted and, to an extent, encouraged.  Golf is just not one of the permitted activities.

I think the Government of Ontario understands the game is played outdoors.  As for our government being crazy well, you may not be too too far off the mark there but people will likely survive for another few weeks without playing sports.

20 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

In Ontario right now your bubble is your immediate house hold. You are not to gather with anyone else.  You are not supposed to leave your house for other reasons except for groceries, medical appointments and work.  The government is imploring people to work from home if they can. 

The situation with golf courses overall is people are not playing with just those from their house, not wearing masks, and not staying 6’ apart. Last summer when the province was having nominal cases it didn’t really matter but now with variants running rampant the province said no.  No tennis, basketball, baseball are not allowed either at this time. Kids sports are not happening now, and nor did they last summer. 

I’m a member of a club and have seen it first hand.  I have also seen on FB photos of people I know together at clubs standing with arms around each other’s shoulders for group photos. They were not from the same household. It’s not everyone who is doing this but with a stay at home order for 6 weeks golf was added to the list this lockdown. Skiing was during the last one, and relaxed to be allowed after the lockdown was over. 

Wow. What a shame. I feel for you man. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

The population of TX is about double that of Ontario.  Your daily new case rate is bumping along at about 3,000/day right now.  Here, ours is well above 4,000!!  Fairly easy to see why some tough measures have been put in place.  Let’s hope the next few weeks bring about a significant downturn.

5 minutes ago, D C said:

This isn’t about golf really, it’s about about ICU beds. People in Toronto are being airlifted to hospitals 200kms away for beds.  The children’s hospital in Toronto has adults in it for the first time every. If cases keep

up Ontario DRs might soon be making decisions like Italy was making last February; who lives and who dies. 

No golf, home schooling again etc was called for by health officials and our provincial leader, who by American classification is a Republican.  Many feel he has reacted too late. We are currently having the same cases per day as Michigan and 72% of those cases are in 8 health units out of 34. Ontario vaccinations are less than Michigan, while you about 6 million less people. We are at the mercy of deliveries. 

The rest of the province is being punished, but folks in those 8 units will travel to those that are open, and bring the variant with them. It is a no win situation until we can get a majority vaccinated and the variant under control.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

The population of TX is about double that of Ontario.  Your daily new case rate is bumping along at about 3,000/day right now.  Here, ours is well above 4,000!!  Fairly easy to see why some tough measures have been put in place.  Let’s hope the next few weeks bring about a significant downturn.

What confuses me is that Canadians have had tighter restrictions compared to Texas for awhile. Why are your numbers so much higher?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Send your extra doses north to Canada if you could please. We got less than 2 million for the entire country last week.  The US gives 3.5 million a day. 

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

It all comes down to vaccines in Texas.  They are “mask free”, and the results show.  Like you said these tough measures will be intact until more get vaccinated, and the cases go down. If enough aren’t vaccinated when the lockdown ends, we could be in the same position again. 

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This isn’t about golf really, it’s about about ICU beds. People in Toronto are being airlifted to hospitals 200kms away for beds.  The children’s hospital in Toronto has adults in it for the first time every. If cases keep

up Ontario DRs might soon be making decisions like Italy was making last February; who lives and who dies. 

No golf, home schooling again etc was called for by health officials and our provincial leader, who by American classification is a Republican.  Many feel he has reacted too late. We are currently having the same cases per day as Michigan and 72% of those cases are in 8 health units out of 34. Ontario vaccinations are less than Michigan, while you about 6 million less people. We are at the mercy of deliveries. 

The rest of the province is being punished, but folks in those 8 units will travel to those that are open, and bring the variant with them. It is a no win situation until we can get a majority vaccinated and the variant under control.

Hopefully your gov't keeps better data than ours and reports on where the virus is spreading, but there is an inherent risk of spread within those household bubbles.   That was brushed under the rug last year during the lockdowns.  

Preventing outdoor activities that are largely done solo still makes no sense though.  "Go, be healthy" seems like a good thing to promote, not prevent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Send your extra doses north to Canada if you could please. We got less than 2 million for the entire country last week.  The US gives 3.5 million a day. 

It all comes down to vaccines in Texas.  They are “mask free”, and the results show.  Like you said these tough measures will be intact until more get vaccinated, and the cases go down. If enough aren’t vaccinated when the lockdown ends, we could be in the same position again. 

Hopefully the vaccination situation improves over there in short order. 

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What confuses me is that Canadians have had tighter restrictions compared to Texas for awhile. Why are your numbers so much higher?

No vaccines. On average we get 2 million a week across the country, but it did not really didn’t get rolling until maybe March. America gives more in a day than we get delivered for the nation in a week.

Why that is, I will not discuss here, but I do wish our leader would ask for the AZ doses that America is not going to use. We will take your hand me downs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

No vaccines. On average we get 2 million a week across the country, but it did not really didn’t get rolling until maybe March. America gives more in a day than we get delivered for the nation in a week.

Why that is, I will not discuss here, but I do wish our leader would ask for the AZ doses that America is not going to use. We will take your hand me downs. 

Yes, I forgot about the vaccine issue when I wrote my post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D C said:

Hopefully your gov't keeps better data than ours and reports on where the virus is spreading, but there is an inherent risk of spread within those household bubbles.   That was brushed under the rug last year during the lockdowns.  

It has been well tracked here. People expanding their bubbles beyond recommend levels have been a part of the issue for the spread.  Variant levels have also been tracked. 

41 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Why can't people be responsible?    

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Why can't people be responsible?    

That is the million dollar question.  I’m certain that question has been asked in America, and the answer will be the same here. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

America should be offering the AZ if we aren't using it. We share the same border. 

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

America should be offering the AZ if we aren't using it. We share the same border. 

You would think so.  We probably have more than enough for the entire adult population of Canada

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You guys can have mine and my husband's !  Glad to share.

Seriously, good luck Andrew.  That sounds like jail to me but I know it's a tough time.  Hopefully the warm weather will tamp it all down so you can get out and live life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think we would gladly accept it. Canada IMO is in the position where England was in December of 2020.  Variant running the cases and at a high count. They relied upon the AZ mainly and now 4 months later things are returning to normal. Whatever doses come they are needed. Moderna doses are being restricted because the EU a is only sending the excess doses to Canada. 

Hopefully our neighbours to the south will assist even though you do not have to. In fact ND is now offering vaccines to Manitoba truckers who cross the border.  That is a great move and thank-you North Dakota for helping. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, D C said:

You would think so.  We probably have more than enough for the entire adult population of Canada

And probably just sitting in a warehouse slowly aging out, with the ability to produce the same amount in days. I’m only hope our leader is reaching out to yours, but he says that he has no regret in the vaccine roll out. That’s politics 101, IMO.

5 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

You guys can have mine and my husband's !  Glad to share.

Seriously, good luck Andrew.  That sounds like jail to me but I know it's a tough time.  Hopefully the warm weather will tamp it all down so you can get out and live life.

Thank-you.  I understand and respect you not wanting to take it, I just wish you keep that good health.  As I write this Lisa is helping Owen with his schooling and normality for both of them as well as others here would be great. We all need it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think we would gladly accept it. Canada IMO is in the position where England was in December of 2020.  Variant running the cases and at a high count. They relied upon the AZ mainly and now 4 months later things are returning to normal. Whatever doses come they are needed. Moderna doses are being restricted because the EU a is only sending the excess doses to Canada. 

Hopefully our neighbours to the south will assist even though you do not have to. In fact ND is now offering vaccines to Manitoba truckers who cross the border.  That is a great move and thank-you North Dakota for helping. 

It's a fact that vaccines have brought hospital stays right down for covid and good results even after once dose. Having said that we are still at only over 45's age group vaccinated here and they are predicting a summer surge once lockdown fully lifts next month 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56826976

Edited by sgmn

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

And probably just sitting in a warehouse slowly aging out, with the ability to produce the same amount in days. I’m only hope our leader is reaching out to yours, but he says that he has no regret in the vaccine roll out. That’s politics 101, IMO.

Thank-you.  I understand and respect you not wanting to take it, I just wish you keep that good health.  As I write this Lisa is helping Owen with his schooling and normality for both of them as well as others here would be great. We all need it.

Surely there's the ability to produce as much as we have sitting by the time it's approved here (which may be never).  You'd think we could work out a trade at least.   Swap for some nanaimo bars & butter tarts maybe.

(I prefer to avoid the phrase "leader" when referring to any elected officials.  It's more of a personal quality than a title to be bestowed.) 

48 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

But we dropped facemasks & opened up a month ago.... is what I'm attempting to convey. I think there is a different mdethod or tactic that could be used. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think you're government should have opened their wallets to buy vaccines much like the US did. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

But we dropped facemasks & opened up a month ago.... is what I'm attempting to convey. I think there is a different mdethod or tactic that could be used. 

You say something nice for a change then go and ruin it with your mask (and money) foolishness.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You say something nice for a change then go and ruin it with your mask (and money) foolishness.

I'm a nice guy. Ask my Mom. 🤣 

Shutting down golf courses is absolute foolishness. That tactic is a sign of a control freak. What a shame for our friends in Canada. 

• Like 6