Face Masks and Cruising

11 hours ago, coffeebean said:

The simple answer is it is not known if vaccinated people can transmit the virus to others. Until it has been determined there is no chance vaccinated people can transmit the virus, vaccinated people are requested to mask up to protect others who have not been vaccinated yet.

Wait.... until there is NO chance of transmission?   So if there is any chance of transmission from a vaccinated person, masks should be required among vaccinated people?   The CDC says that's not required right now. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Can't read. But no big deal. Looks like just a typical FB meme post.

I read it but it really isn't a very good meme.  A better meme with the Titanic would be showing it sinking while showing the media and expert opinions about it being unsinkable.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It was said that they won't be shipped until President Biden feels comfortable in releasing them.  

From what I read and heard on the news US might send 15-20 million AZ doses to Canada in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. We are already in the 2nd Q so hopefully it is soon.  When they aren't approved for the US for emergency use, hopefully that day is sooner than later.  We could have used them weeks ago if not months.

I'm not sure if the EU would allow them to leave unless all EU countries pass on them.  They may even be sent to other EU off shoot nations.  For example France might want theirs to go to the French side of Saint Martin. 

Yes. Nothing finalized on delivery yet. Biden’s concerns are understandable from my perspective because all of our doses have not been delivered by manufacturers and we also need to create a reserve supply.  Sending vaccine doses months ago was not even fathomable. We were still securing contracts for additional doses.  The US is committed to helping other countries both financially and with supply as we are able.  It will be interesting to see if Trudeau reaches out to the EU about those rejected doses. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If these people continue to refuse vaccination then it is on them to protect themselves in what ever way they choose. 

^^This^^

Those of us who are not getting the vaccine neither want nor expect others to protect us !!  If our prophylaxis doesn't do the job that we believe it is doing and we get sick, we have absolutely nobody to blame.  Even if we get sick, the vaccinated believe that the vaccines will protect them.  Everybody is happy !

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Xkontour98 said:

Questions for the Cleveland Clinic:

1-It takes time for the vaccine to kick in. 

Q: I've had both my vaccines and am 2+ weeks post second vaccine. Is this reason now moot?

2-The vaccines do not provide 100% protection.(Only 96%)

Q: No vaccine is 100, but 96% is pretty darned high! Can I accept that 4% chance?

3-Those who have been vaccinated might be asymptomatic spreaders.

Q: Are you sure that those that are asymptomatic truly have Covid? Could the test have been a false positive? And if I've had my vaccine, and I do get Covid, my chances for severe symptoms have been greatly reduced.

4-We still need to protect those with compromised immune systems and those who can’t be vaccinated.

Q: Can't those with compromised immune systems be responsible for their own health by wearing KN95 masks or staying isolated? How is this time any different that any other year where diseases are around us all?

5-There are still limited doses of the vaccine. 

Q: Can we "un-mask" areas where the vaccination percentage is greater than 80%?

As in previous years, disease and risks are part of every day life. We all accept those risks and get on with life. 

If a ship says that vaccines are required to sail and I choose to accept the risk of sailing with vaccinated, un-masked people....why shouldn't I be able to do so?

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Yes. Nothing finalized on delivery yet. Biden’s concerns are understandable from my perspective because all of our doses have not been delivered by manufacturers and we also need to create a reserve supply.  Sending vaccine doses months ago was not even fathomable. We were still securing contracts for additional doses.  The US is committed to helping other countries both financially and with supply as we are able.  It will be interesting to see if Trudeau reaches out to the EU about those rejected doses. 

The NY Times articles cite apparent contractual restrictions that would greatly limit the US's ability to re-sell or give away doses to other countries.  Much of what was said publicly may have been more for feel-good relationships than tangible plans.

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

Questions for the Cleveland Clinic:

1-It takes time for the vaccine to kick in. 

Q: I've had both my vaccines and am 2+ weeks post second vaccine. Is this reason now moot?

2-The vaccines do not provide 100% protection.(Only 96%)

Q: No vaccine is 100, but 96% is pretty darned high! Can I accept that 4% chance?

3-Those who have been vaccinated might be asymptomatic spreaders.

Q: Are you sure that those that are asymptomatic truly have Covid? Could the test have been a false positive? And if I've had my vaccine, and I do get Covid, my chances for severe symptoms have been greatly reduced.

4-We still need to protect those with compromised immune systems and those who can’t be vaccinated.

Q: Can't those with compromised immune systems be responsible for their own health by wearing KN95 masks or staying isolated? How is this time any different that any other year where diseases are around us all?

5-There are still limited doses of the vaccine. 

Q: Can we "un-mask" areas where the vaccination percentage is greater than 80%?

As in previous years, disease and risks are part of every day life. We all accept those risks and get on with life. 

If a ship says that vaccines are required to sail and I choose to accept the risk of sailing with vaccinated, un-masked people....why shouldn't I be able to do so?

I like the way you think.  

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 7:20 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

If everyone onboard is vaccinated and passes a Covid test prior to boarding, the risk of an onboard Covid infection is minimal.  You should be able to cruise without masks under these conditions.

LOL and Puleez, don't pee in the pool!  https://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/austria-fears-its-famously-clear-gruner-see-is-turning-colors-from-urine.html  If you can't go to the bathroom, please at least relieve yourself in the pool shower, it all goes to the same place but I don't have to swim in it.  Or, is the post name tongue in cheek? 🤪

7 hours ago, Xkontour98 said:

1.  "Vaccination" includes the post-injection efficacy IMO

2.  So the new rule is because there is a 5% chance of getting the sniffles (my translation of asymptomatic or mild infection)

3. Zero proof of post-vaccination asymptomatic spread.  Its a theory.  Who are you going to spread it to?  Oh - the other masked and vaccinated people.  Check!

4.  Seems to be sympathetic re-tread of #3. 

5.  There are limited doses of the vaccine?  Huh?  I need to wear a seatbelt because fat people have a higher rate of heart problems.  Same logic.

This is a BS fluff opinion piece masked as justification for idiotic behavior.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stallion said:

The CDC has already stated that small groups of fully vaccinated people can meet without social distancing or masks

CDC does not regulate my life.  Stay controlled, my friends.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

That's a shame. Those folks deserve better in their retirement years. 

No shame at all. We have done extremely well with Covid related deaths. Living in a senior community, I am so grateful to be among older folks and younger folks who are employed locally, who care about each other. We seniors just want to get back on a cruise ship. Cruising is extremely popular among us seniors!

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

No shame at all. We have done extremely well with Covid related deaths. Living in a senior community, I am so grateful to be among older folks and younger folks who are employed locally, who care about each other. We seniors just want to get back on a cruise ship. Cruising is extremely popular among us seniors!

You are in a community where everyone is vaccinated or had the opportunity to be vaccinated.  this is the perfect setting for no masks and everything back to 100% normal.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And for how long should the vaccinated mask up in order to protect those who refuse to be vaccinated? Those people better start looking for a way to protect themselves.

I am a huge proponent of universal masking but, believe me, once it has been established that everyone who wants the vaccine has been vaccinated, I will push for vaccinated people to not have to mask up. I would hope the CDC will eventually give vaccinated people the "go ahead" to take off the masks.

12 hours ago, Keksie said:

However, the CDC does not think that a vaccinated person is that much of a risk as evidenced by their guidance that:

1.   Fully vaccinated people can resume domestic travel and do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel.

2.  Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing

3.  Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic

Why would they give the above guidance if they thought that a vaccinated person was that contagious?

I agree with you on all counts. I'm waiting for the guidance from the CDC that vaccinated people no longer have to mask in public.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Wow, that place is my dream.  I've seen pictures and it looks fantastic!  Good for you!

Follow the science?  What if the science is different than what you are being sold?

Wearing a mask after vaccination is essentially anti science.  And again, Covid doesn't go away just because you are eating a steak.  Masks in restaurants are 100% cosmetic theatre.   

oKBulE0bTWGjUPu8sRgSWw_thumb_2373.thumb.jpg.ff7a11c103bca6dcb093c8a919f94cb2.jpg

It's not that Covid goes away when eating a steak. The idea is that when someone is sitting down eating or drinking, that person is stationary and social distancing can be more controlled than when that person is circulating. Pretty easy concept.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Science? Here's some science for you. Since Texas removed the mask mandate and opened up 100%..... Covid hospitalizations. is down 58%, ICU down 48%. FACT. 

If those stats are true, I'm very happy for you Texans.

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

It's not that Covid goes away when eating a steak. The idea is that when someone is sitting down eating or drinking, that person is stationary and social distancing can be more controlled than when that person is circulating.

Walking past someone while on your way to a table is not circulating.  I thought that 15 minutes, unmasked within 6 feet was what contributed to the spread of covid.  That would make it more likely that covid would spread sitting and talking while eating then walking in or our.  However, if it makes you feel better to wear a mask in and out go ahead.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I agree with you on all counts. I'm waiting for the guidance from the CDC that vaccinated people no longer have to mask in public.

I think I will just go ahead and not wait for their guidance.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, D C said:

Wait.... until there is NO chance of transmission?   So if there is any chance of transmission from a vaccinated person, masks should be required among vaccinated people?   The CDC says that's not required right now. 

Really? Then why hasn't the CDC given guidance that vaccinated people can take off their masks? I've been patiently waiting for that day.

11 hours ago, RFerrington said:

^^This^^

Those of us who are not getting the vaccine neither want nor expect others to protect us !!  If our prophylaxis doesn't do the job that we believe it is doing and we get sick, we have absolutely nobody to blame.  Even if we get sick, the vaccinated believe that the vaccines will protect them.  Everybody is happy !

I'm not happy because the folks who refuse to be vaccinated do nothing to help our country reach heard immunity SAFELY; giving the virus opportunities to mutate too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2