109 years ago today...

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank on April 15th @ 2:20am.  

God Bless them all. 

I was on an Eastbound TA on April 14, 2012 and we were at sea.  I had to go up on deck around midnight and look north at the stars.  Even though we were considerably south of where Titanic hit the iceberg, it was still a strange feeling to be on the Atlantic 100 years later.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, mek said:

I was on an Eastbound TA on April 14, 2012 and we were at sea.  I had to go up on deck around midnight and look north at the stars.  Even though we were considerably south of where Titanic hit the iceberg, it was still a strange feeling to be on the Atlantic 100 years later.

Our first ever cruise was Queen Mary non stop trans Atlantic. They had an excellent speaker on board giving amazing lectures on Titanic. He was quite elderly. but very interesting and spoke without notes or hesitations

14 hours ago, mek said:

We were also on an Eastbound TA cruise going from NYC to the UK on April 15th, 2012 and were within 100 miles of the Titanic sinking location according to the captain's noon announcement that day.

We had done a Halifax port stop the day prior, where many of the dead from that sinking are buried. Also we did a port stop in Cobh, Ireland, Titanic's last port that was called on, We also went into Belfast where that ship was built and ended in Southampton, where most passengers boarded.

Funny thing was the next day our ship had to divert south to avoid icebergs which made us late getting into Dublin which is a tidal port so the ship could only stay in port for a few hours as it had to sail in and out on the same high tide.

Since we were doing B2B cruises we called there again a week later.

Below is the Titanic museum in Belfast which is now located where shipbuilder Harland and Wolff that built the Titanic use to be located.

CIMG0373.JPG

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 2

I visited the Titanic Museum during a stop in Cobh, (Cork) Ireland (at that time called it was called Queenstown) with Serenade of the Seas -- it was very interesting. The Titanic’s last port of call before it set sail to New York was Cobh. On April 11, 1912, the Titanic picked up 123 passengers in Cobh brought to the ship by tenders. So, so sad...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

I visited the Titanic Museum during a stop in Cobh, (Cork) Ireland (at that time called it was called Queenstown) with Serenade of the Seas -- it was very interesting. The Titanic’s last port of call before it set sail to New York was Cobh. On April 11, 1912, the Titanic picked up 123 passengers in Cobh brought to the ship by tenders. So, so sad...

We were there three years ago on another TA that ended in Dublin.  The old town looks very much the same as it did back then.  When we left the port in the evening I was up on deck looking back at the buildings, thinking about the passengers looking at the same view - which was for many of them, their last view of land.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mek said:

We were there three years ago on another TA that ended in Dublin.  The old town looks very much the same as it did back then.  When we left the port in the evening I was up on deck looking back at the buildings, thinking about the passengers looking at the same view - which was for many of them, their last view of land.

This will be one of our port stops on our next scheduled cruise. 

5 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This will be one of our port stops on our next scheduled cruise. 

It was a lovely stop and the sail in and out was beautiful.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

3 hours ago, mek said:

We also stopped in Cobh on a Serenade TA a couple years ago and the departing view was eerily beautiful.

image.thumb.png.ca438582a34e7d6a666096ba6f3d5f0d.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lovelife said:

We also stopped in Cobh on a Serenade TA a couple years ago and the departing view was eerily beautiful.

image.thumb.png.ca438582a34e7d6a666096ba6f3d5f0d.png

Can't wait to see this and for this cruise. But I guess I'll hve to. It isn't til July 2022 so we have a lot of time between now & then for the CDC the cruise industrty to kiss and make up.