Welcome to all of us Canadians on Cruise Critic!

CRUISINGCANUCKS99

24 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Well, I sure hope you get to go to Australia some day.  The first time we were there, we felt we had come home!  really loved it.  New Zealand, we found really quaint.  I would go again in a heartbeat.  In fact, we will be at the tail end of a B2B that many are on.  We are only doing the one segment from Honolulu to Vancouver.  It will be fun to talk to all the Aussies on that cruise (May 2023, Eclipse).

We met an Aussie and a Spanish couple on a Transpacific. We gave them the 2 bit tour of Vancouver as they were staying in Vancouver for a few days.  They got to see and do all the local things like dim sum, totem carving with sister sister city in Japan, Burnaby village etc. 

Everytime we do a return to Vancouver cruise we always give a Vancouver tour to people we meet. Great way to build world friendship. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lostinparadise999 said:

We met an Aussie and a Spanish couple on a Transpacific. We gave them the 2 bit tour of Vancouver as they were staying in Vancouver for a few days.  They got to see and do all the local things like dim sum, totem carving with sister sister city in Japan, Burnaby village etc. 

Everytime we do a return to Vancouver cruise we always give a Vancouver tour to people we meet. Great way to build world friendship. 

What a wonderful thing to do for your new friends. 

• Like 1

Hi all!

I just noticed for the first time this section on the front of the forums page. Nice to see it!

I'm from, well not really from,  living in Picton Ontario, but spent the 1st 40 years of my life in Toronto.

We've seen a lot of Canada on driving trips & hope to see more places cruising, hopefully soon!

Take care & stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

It depends what day you do it. I was driving to Prince Edward County many years ago on a Friday afternoon (from mid-town Toronto) and it took me 1 1/2 hours to the Scarborough/Pickering border.

• Like 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

It once took me two hours to cross the Ottawa River one day in January!

Normally, it takes about two minutes and that’s pretty much what I do my planning around.

Ok, you win!!  LOL

• Haha 1

Hi again!

d9704011 ~ looks like somebody started some kind of contest, lol!

No Hwy 2, 401 all the way but we are outside of Picton, down Lake on the Mountain Rd if you know the area.

Oh yeah, you never can tell how long a trip will take, especially near the airport or the east end of Scarborough! Crossing the Ottawa River sounds worst of all!!!

Stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retiring soon said:

Hi again!

d9704011 ~ looks like somebody started some kind of contest, lol!

No Hwy 2, 401 all the way but we are outside of Picton, down Lake on the Mountain Rd if you know the area.

Oh yeah, you never can tell how long a trip will take, especially near the airport or the east end of Scarborough! Crossing the Ottawa River sounds worst of all!!!

Stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Yes, I can see why it takes the full three hours.  I’m familiar with the area, having lived in Trenton for a few years and spent some time out your way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this forum. We have been avid cruisers for many years and became Oceania addicts a few years ago now. We are going to try a AMA waterways river cruise in 2022, so any insights would be appreciated. 

David & Brenda, Calgary Alberta.

50 minutes ago, LFCNUT said:

Just discovered this forum. We have been avid cruisers for many years and became Oceania addicts a few years ago now. We are going to try a AMA waterways river cruise in 2022, so any insights would be appreciated. 

Welcome. Just have to ask if the LFC in your user name is anything to do with Anfield.😀

8 hours ago, LFCNUT said:

I suggest that you check out the River Cruising Forum which is quite active. River Cruising is completely different from Ocean Cruising, so you need the expertise of people who have actually done a river cruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

15 hours ago, LFCNUT said:

Our one and only river cruise was with AMA (Prima), Budapest to Amsterdam.  We thought they did a great job.  We loved the entertainment they brought on board.  Food was great.  it was lovely arriving right in the middle of town and just being able to walk off the ship to see what was there.  We didn't use the bicycles that were provided.  When 2 ports were close, people were able to ride from one to the other and rejoin the ship.  We had originally booked a "swan room" as they call them and we were upgraded to a balcony.  I would definitely book a balcony if we were going again.

We lived in Calgary in the late 70's.

I just discovered this site, we are avid Celebrity cruisers but we have been on a few other lines.  We have a cruise booked for Nov but unsure if borders will all be open by final payment in August.  Being at a level 4 for Cruise travel not sure we would be able to get insurance to travel by then either.

Greetings from Toronto folks! Was just made aware of this Canadian forum and looking forward to skimming through all the topics. While we have sailed on several lines, we are devout RCL cruisers and counting down to return to the seas... or at this stage will go anywhere for a getaway! Next cruise is Jan 2022 so we have some good time to learn coming trends and guidelines.

Cheers! 

@LFCNUT YNWA? 😉

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, great to find this forum! I have never monitored the cruise news as much as I have these past 15 months. I’m finally feeling more hope that it won’t be too much longer before sailing again.  

Our family of 4 typically cruises 1 week each year during the winter to escape the cold, mainly with Royal Caribbean. We are actually booked on an Alaska cruise departing Aug 20  but we know it may/may not happen - depends on a lot of things (getting our 2nd vaccine in time, easing of border restrictions on non-essential travel,  end of the mandatory hotel quarantine, etc). This cruise has been tacked onto a 2 week vacation where we already plan to visit BC/Alberta, a part of this beautiful country we haven’t yet explored (road trip Vancouver-Tofino-Victoria-Kelowna-Banff-Jasper). If we can’t cruise, we still have a great vacation to look forward to. Any tips/must sees are welcome!   

15 hours ago, karebare22 said:

Hi Everyone, great to find this forum! I have never monitored the cruise news as much as I have these past 15 months. I’m finally feeling more hope that it won’t be too much longer before sailing again.  

Our family of 4 typically cruises 1 week each year during the winter to escape the cold, mainly with Royal Caribbean. We are actually booked on an Alaska cruise departing Aug 20  but we know it may/may not happen - depends on a lot of things (getting our 2nd vaccine in time, easing of border restrictions on non-essential travel,  end of the mandatory hotel quarantine, etc). This cruise has been tacked onto a 2 week vacation where we already plan to visit BC/Alberta, a part of this beautiful country we haven’t yet explored (road trip Vancouver-Tofino-Victoria-Kelowna-Banff-Jasper). If we can’t cruise, we still have a great vacation to look forward to. Any tips/must sees are welcome!   

Don't forget about the Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler.  That's a beautiful drive. If you like wine there are very good vineyards in and around Kelowna. If you have the time, drive south of Kelowna to visit even better ones. Of course, with the kids you might have to stick with a quick visit to one or two in town. While driving from Banff to Jasper stop in Lake Louise. The lake and the Chateau are Wow! Also, the Colombia ice fields, farther north between Banff and Jasper, are also a must.  

• Like 1

I think there is to be a talk among the premiers of the various provinces tomorrow with regard to opening the borders to each province and maybe to the US?  We really miss our trips down to Bellingham and Seattle.  You will love Banff and Jasper.  Tofino and Victoria are also lovely. I presume you would take the ferry across to Vancouver Island and if you're lucky, you might just see some Orcas.  It's sad about the US wanting their cruise ships to bypass Canadian ports.  We always loved to pack a picnic and go to Stanley Park where we watched the ships sail by.  Not this year!

I agree Whistler is beautiful.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I think there is to be a talk among the premiers of the various provinces tomorrow with regard to opening the borders to each province and maybe to the US?  We really miss our trips down to Bellingham and Seattle.  You will love Banff and Jasper.  Tofino and Victoria are also lovely. I presume you would take the ferry across to Vancouver Island and if you're lucky, you might just see some Orcas.  It's sad about the US wanting their cruise ships to bypass Canadian ports.  We always loved to pack a picnic and go to Stanley Park where we watched the ships sail by.  Not this year!

I agree Whistler is beautiful.

I don't think the US wanted to, Canada doesn't allow large cruise ships to stop in Canada.

22 hours ago, karebare22 said:

That, sounds an ambitious road trip for 2 weeks. I'm not sure of your route but you should be aware it is a 6 hour drive from Tofino to Victoria. If you are intending to go to wine country there are several very good places to go. We haven't been for several years but we used to take a picnic with us and many places have patios where you can buy a bottle of wine and enjoy that with your picnic. Thornhaven was a favourite the patio had a great view and we liked the wine. Have a great trip and if there is anything you want to know about the Victoria area just ask.

• Like 2

I am not sure how I have never noticed this forum before, but I am glad to see it!  DH and I are getting our second Pfizer shot this week and HOPING to do a B2B on Odyssey 8/22 & 8/28.

We are in Saint John, NB.  Our condo is right across the street from the cruise port.  We moved in at the end of last summer so have yet to experience any of the hustle and bustle that comes along with that. Looking forward to seeing some ships block my view next summer!

On 6/15/2021 at 8:20 PM, karebare22 said:

If you plan to go to Vancouver Island by ferry, make sure you book ahead as the ferry is very busy. If you want to taste the real Nanaimo bar visit Nanaimo...ferry from Horseshoe bay goes to Nanaimo. Drive the Island hwy to Victoria and have high tea at Empress hotel (rich and famous hang out) and view the inner harbour.