Time to jump ship?

IntrepidFromDC

This major cruise line just announced plans to restart with more than half its fleet (thepointsguy.com)

I have cruised 17 times, all Carnival.  Never thought I'd even consider cruising another line because I've been overall soooooo happy with Carnival and because of the Platinum perks I wouldn't get elsewhere.

Now, not only have I secured the status-match at MSC, but they are expanding cruising to 10 ships!

• Like 2

"For now, all 10 of the ships will operate in Europe,"

That is a major detail that impacts the vast majority of US-based Carnival cruisers: many drive to the port (like me), or choose to afford domestic flight prices to cruise from US ports because they have a limited budget.  Flying to Europe ain't exactly cheap.  And then there is the non-passport contingent.

In other words, a bit of a "nothing burger" for a lot of people.  Good news for those that can arrange it, but I would say that is not CCL's target demographic.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
added last para
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

This major cruise line just announced plans to restart with more than half its fleet (thepointsguy.com)

I have cruised 17 times, all Carnival.  Never thought I'd even consider cruising another line because I've been overall soooooo happy with Carnival and because of the Platinum perks I wouldn't get elsewhere.

Now, not only have I secured the status-match at MSC, but they are expanding cruising to 10 ships!

I tried MSC 4 years ago and they matched my RCL Diamond Status.  It was a nice perk but they only match for a certain number of cruises. I went on Divina and it was a beautiful ship but overall I didn't care for it.  It was just OK for me.

I'm sticking with Carnival.  I have no complaints at all.

I can only say.....Try it,  You might like it. 

• Like 1

I am loyal to my wallet and will book with the line that offers the best deal financially. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles and do not allow ourselves to be blinded by them. We've sailed on NCL, CCL and RCL and find the differences to be minor in the things that matter to us. We like what we experienced with our one Royal cruise, but didn't find the experience to be so "wow" that we feel the need to spend more money to experience it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Variety is a good thing , if your interested in Europe why not. It’s really a whole world out there and it’s a shame to only see it thru the carnival  lens! can’t wait for Europe / Italy to open up for land tourists .. 

• Like 1

It's always a good thing to try out different things. HAving said that MSC Cruises is QUITE different from other cruiselines that appeal to the American market, so just be aware of that. I think the most different is the food. MSC's food style is more European in taste and presentation. It's not better or worse, just different.  If you've traveled enough in Spain and Italy you'll know what that means. MSC's ship are beautiful though. Try them out, and if you don't enjoy the differences, there's plenty of other cruiselines to try.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Why would it impact your cruiseline choice how many ships msc has in europe?

Sorry I dont get it. Rcl and celebrity also do status match, I've transferred my own. But didnt change my cruising, its whatever works best for me., not who has more ships in europe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Why would it impact your cruiseline choice how many ships msc has in europe?

Sorry I dont get it. Rcl and celebrity also do status match, I've transferred my own. But didnt change my cruising, its whatever works best for me., not who has more ships in europe.

It's not that they have more ships than Carnival, but more ships OPERATING than Carnival (0).  So it helps me get my cruise fix while awaiting for Carnival to reopen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I am loyal to my wallet and will book with the line that offers the best deal financially. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles and do not allow ourselves to be blinded by them. We've sailed on NCL, CCL and RCL and find the differences to be minor in the things that matter to us. We like what we experienced with our one Royal cruise, but didn't find the experience to be so "wow" that we feel the need to spend more money to experience it.

Well spoken. Coming from another Frugal Cruise Nut I will add my $.02. Carnival has always provided the most economical and affordable Cruise Vacation option for my entire family. Of course we have looked at other Lines; however, they just can't match the Price/Value component that Carnival offers. Our Inside Cabin preference has not been beat yet. The money we save allows us to cruise several times each year.  

Salute To All My Lifelong Carnival Cruise Nuts. Stay Loyal My Friends!!

• Like 1

Have you actually priced rcl vs carnival. Last time I looked at carnival out of Galveston it's up over 1k for the  cheapest cabin BEFORE taxes and fees. I can book a balcony for the price of a 1A on vista.

I'm loyal to my wallet to and carnival is priced way higher for 7 days out of Galveston. 

I think people blindly say carnival costs less. I'm booking just one for the obc, rest rcl, because it's cheaper for a better cabin. Last booked dec 2022 allure, 1200ish, boardwalk balcony, including taxes and fees. 1300ish, same end boardwalk balcony, feb 2023 allure. (Could have booked city walk balcony even less). 

Why would I pay more for carnival unless I got another $600 obc. It's just more expensive. Believe me I watch my wallet too, and carnival costs more on every date I checked. MSC doesnt go out of Galveston so I'd have to fly, so no thanks.

I still dont care if msc has 10 ships in europe lol. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Have you actually priced rcl vs carnival. Last time I looked at carnival out of Galveston it's up over 1k for the  cheapest cabin BEFORE taxes and fees. I can book a balcony for the price of a 1A on vista.

I'm loyal to my wallet to and carnival is priced way higher for 7 days out of Galveston. 

I think people blindly say carnival costs less. I'm booking just one for the obc, rest rcl, because it's cheaper for a better cabin. Last booked dec 2022 allure, 1200ish, boardwalk balcony, including taxes and fees. 1300ish, same end boardwalk balcony, feb 2023 allure. (Could have booked city walk balcony even less). 

Why would I pay more for carnival unless I got another $600 obc. It's just more expensive. Believe me I watch my wallet too, and carnival costs more on every date I checked. MSC doesnt go out of Galveston so I'd have to fly, so no thanks.

Of course I've compared the two, I always do once we settle on an itinerary that we want to do (this isn't my first rodeo, after all😉. I also throw NCL into the mix, also, just for grins. Our one Royal cruise on Anthem happened because the balcony cabin we were looking at was $400 less than Carnival and $1800 less than NCL. Everyone's booking habits are different as are the ports they sail out of and that affects price a great deal. We just booked a 7 day western Caribbean itinerary on Carnival Glory out of NOLA in April 2023 in an ocean suite for $2800. I didn't see anything close to that from Royal.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Of course I've compared the two, I always do once we settle on an itinerary that we want to do (this isn't my first rodeo, after all😉. I also throw NCL into the mix, also, just for grins. Our one Royal cruise on Anthem happened because the balcony cabin we were looking at was $400 less than Carnival and $1800 less than NCL. Everyone's booking habits are different as are the ports they sail out of and that affects price a great deal. We just booked a 7 day western Caribbean itinerary on Carnival Glory out of NOLA in April 2023 in an ocean suite for $2800. I didn't see anything close to that from Royal.

I've seen 3k or less on liberty for a junior suite. More apples to oranges. No real perks, just a extra loyalty pt. And larger cabin and balcony. 

I've got 5 rcl from dec 2021 to april 2022 on liberty. 3 are in the 750 to 850 range in luding taxes and fees. One splurge a aft corner for 1004 including taxes. I'm paying more for liberty sept 2022, prices are heading up on rcl as well. 915 inside, 1150 balcony including all taxes.

I've seen junior suites on rcl 1800 and less solo rate, but agree prices are going up. They spiked when double pts promo came out.

I have 11 booked, 1 is carnival. 

I agree the port I leave from matters. Rcl seems cheaper from there than from miami. Carnival is just sky high. I've even considered new orleans, its 5 hours driving further and just no great deals worth the extra drive for me. 

Next up a PR, promenade view this dec for about 850 all in. 

Vista is this sept and about 950 for a 1A porthole $100 more than rcl, and that will probably be canc and I have to rebook. ..at a yet even higher price. I canc that credit card so dont want a refund. I might go for a 6 day I'm thinking.. prices for 7 days just more than I'm willing to pay on carnival. I'm not picky about cabin. A window or balcony, anything is good. 

16 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Any yes I read your thread about 2800 for a suite and great deal. 

I dont book suites if solo, so agree we are comparing apples to oranges. 

56 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Again, it's not that they're "in Europe" - it's that you can actually get on one and cruise, instead of waiting around for CCL or flying to the Caribbean Islands to embark.

Anyway, it seems like you have already jumped ship.  Permanent record!

Edited by IntrepidFromDC

1 minute ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Again, it's not that they're "in Europe" - it's that you can actually get on one and cruise, instead of waiting around for CCL or flying to the Caribbean Islands to embark.

Anyway, it seems like you have already jumped ship.  Permanent record!

Again I book the best price for the category. I have 179 loyalty pts on carnival so need a 6 day and 2 seven day cruises to hit diamond on carnival. Just seems like I'll pass it up on rcl first. Especially with double pts. I'm pushing for the 340 loyalty pts on rcl to get 50% off 2nd fare solo rates perks. So makes money sense for me as a solo to book more rcl. 

Europe I'd have to fly there too, its further than nassau. The logic about 10 msc ships still escapes me. I'm not in europe nor are you? It's a nevermind I guess. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Any yes I read your thread about 2800 for a suite and great deal. 

I dont book suites if solo, so agree we are comparing apples to oranges. 

But I have similar results when I book regular balconies. Once I've seen a competitive price for Royal and when I did I grabbed it. I'd grab it again. But they seem to be higher in the northeast (just as they seem lower in your area). You have found that when you book Royal seems to offer you the best rates, when I book it seems to be Carnival. There is a reason we have choices, we all get to make the choice that works for us.

We went on MSC  twice and loved it twice.  It's a "different kind of cruise" than Carnival or NCL.  Different population (international crowd), the best entertainment at sea (well known artists in their home country)...and beautiful ships.  The food was lacking (not into food, so I didn't care).

If they sailed out of NYC, I'd go again in a heartbeat. 

How many Americans is MSC allowing on their ships at the moment? They have RULES you have you follow? Masks, even while on the dance floor   National Geographic posted a number of pictures from a MSC covid cruise .

CC should do something similar, but, of course, Americans aren't allowed.

Currently (and for how long, we don’t know) Carnival is not offering any competition to Royal and Norwegian in the near term.  Remains to be seen if the other two have found a viable option for the customers, for the companies and for the new homeports.  Until ships (Carnival, Royal or Norwegian) sail, no company wins.

Comparing carnival's suite to other cruise lines is like comparing apples to oranges.carnival is cheaper because all you get is priority boarding and a bottle of water.if that's all you need then it's all good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scpirate said:

Comparing carnival's suite to other cruise lines is like comparing apples to oranges.carnival is cheaper because all you get is priority boarding and a bottle of water.if that's all you need then it's all good.

Yep given the price I'm paying for the extra space I'm absolutely good with it. The other cruise lines might offer you more perks but they are charging for it too. (A Royal junior suite was almost 3 times more than what I'm paying and no perk is worth that, to me.)