First cruise after pandemic with Holland America

jhsocal

1 minute ago, jhsocal said:

We have read less than wonderful reviews of first cruise after drydock. What do you think the first cruise on a ship after the pandemic will be like? Would you take one?

We’d have no problem with taking one of the restart cruises as long as it is with Oceania.

We had the bad news/good news of a modified Nautica itinerary in February/March 2020 that found us heading to Dubai instead of Singapore “out of an abundance of caution.

From embarkation restrictions to adjustments for food et al. safety onboard to crew assistance with making alternate travel arrangements as well as efficacious refunds/bonuses, Oceania was the model for Covid related responses and remain the industry leader in dealing with the pandemic response and prep for restart.

I already wouldn’t have cruises with mass market lines and, when it comes to HAL or Princess (both of whose past pandemic performance was terrible), you couldn’t pay me to step foot on their ships for years to come.

FWIW: Google/watch The Last Cruise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jhsocal said:

We have read less than wonderful reviews of first cruise after drydock. What do you think the first cruise on a ship after the pandemic will be like? Would you take one?

Yes, a few ships have spectacular fails post drydocking, but the vast majority return to service with no S/Y trades aboard. During my time on cruise ships, I completed 7 drydockings and the ships all returned to service without issues. Personally, I'm more concerned about the cruises before drydocking with the ship is at the lowest standard and probably has trades aboard preparing for the docking.

Since HAL is part of the Holland America Group - HAL, Princess, Seabourn & P&O Australia, of which HAL & Princess had the worst COVID records, I wouldn't even consider them for a future cruise.

We spent 4 months on our preferred Line from January to April 2020 and with the onboard standards did NOT have a single COVID case. Since the standards have been further enhanced, we have no problem returning to our preferred cuise line, provided they continue to require mandatory vaccinations. 

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I will gladly cruise on Princess, believing in lessons learned. 

It's also easy to Monday morning quarterback after the game was played...

No armchair quarterbacking necessary. Princess had maintenance/safety issues that long preceded Covid’s impact demand. For example, when they sold Ocean Princess to Oceania, it took $40 million to bring it up to Oceania’s standards across Engineering/Deck/Hotel operations before relaunching it as Sirena.

42 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I will gladly cruise on Princess, believing in lessons learned. 

It's also easy to Monday morning quarterback after the game was played...

No doubt their marketing will drive up business, so they will continue to fill the ships.

However, after almost 40 yrs with P&O/Princess, both as a pax & Deck Officer, I certainly am not considered as an armchair quarterback. Princess was a quality cruise line even after being purchased by P&O in 1974, but standards dropped after Carnivalisation in 2003.

As the previous post noted the issues pre-dated COVID. In 2015, the Sea Princess was a disgrace, more resembling a Greek tramp ship than a gleaming white-hulled cruise ship. The condition of the hull was embarrassing, they had almost continuous multiple leaks throughout pax alleyways & lounges, HVAC was filthy, balcony doors all leaked and many, many more. Best was the serious water leak in a crew cabin Dk 6 aft, which resulted in a significant depth of water. All electrical power in the aft FZ was shut down for a number of hours.

Based on their employment standards, I certainly wouldn't work for them any more and is the reason our son, who was S/2/O, quit about 10 yrs ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No armchair quarterbacking necessary. Princess had maintenance/safety issues that long preceded Covid’s impact demand. For example, when they sold Ocean Princess to Oceania, it took $40 million to bring it up to Oceania’s standards across Engineering/Deck/Hotel operations before relaunching it as Sirena.

In what world are Princess and Oceania in the same market?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jwattle said:

In what world are Princess and Oceania in the same market?

O’s $40 million wasn’t just for the hotel operation. The Ocean Princess was in sad shape from the type of neglect and inattentiveness  that also led to it’s former owner’s Covid issues. Like with HAL, Princess’ lackadaisical attitude will mean doing only the absolutely necessary mods to qualify for restart. But, to expect a proactive approach to safer operations from either of those lines is a stretch at best.
It’s too bad since both lines were once (long ago) decent products at a value laden price.  But, that was then and this is now. And it looks like things will continue to go downhill for both lines. In 2020 alone, HAL and Princess got rid of 4 and 2 ships respectively.

By contrast, Oceania will complete the delayed finish of NEXT renovations this year and introduce the first of two Allura class ships in 2013. And its founder, FDR, is leading the industry response to Covid restrictions and public health improvements. And that has more to do with leadership rather than industry segments.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

Well, the Pandemic will so be going on when U.S. ships start cruising.  Just like current hotels, the service and food options will not be up to par. Even less so, in my opinion. It will be fits and starts, period, for quite a while.  Yes I would still go,...

• Like 1

I would most definitely be on the first ship that sailed. I would be fully aware of the fact that cruising will no longer be as we remember. I have no problem with complying with the guidelines the cruise line will require. In many ways it may be a more relaxing cruise. Less passengers, less crowds less things happening but that is actually my kind of cruise.

The cruise lines are going to try to be on their A Game in additional to making the cruise passenger happy. I think the beginning weeks could be the very best time to go.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I would most definitely be on the first ship that sailed. I would be fully aware of the fact that cruising will no longer be as we remember. I have no problem with complying with the guidelines the cruise line will require. In many ways it may be a more relaxing cruise. Less passengers, less crowds less things happening but that is actually my kind of cruise.

The cruise lines are going to try to be on their A Game in additional to making the cruise passenger happy. I think the beginning weeks could be the very best time to go.

I do agree with you that, since everyone will be watching, HAL will perform ( as they always should anyway pandemic or not) following all protocols.   We may be the first Alaska cruise..or not. It did appear to have a lot of availability, so less crowded.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I do agree with you that, since everyone will be watching, HAL will perform ( as they always should anyway pandemic or not) following all protocols.   We may be the first Alaska cruise..or not. It did appear to have a lot of availability, so less crowded.

We could possibly be the first cruise out of Amsterdam on the Nieuw Statendam in July but in all honesty I will be more shocked if it does not cancel. But if it sails we are committed to go and think it will be great. Being a Norway Cruise much like Alaska being on the ship is not a bad thing since there is a lot of scenic cruising.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2021 at 10:29 AM, jhsocal said:

There will be bumps.  The crews have been out of their routines for a year+.  Personally, I would wait until the ship is a few sailings in.  

13 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

@Flatbush FlyerThen why are you even on the HAL forum? Not getting enough attention on the O forum?

To be fair, this thread did start on another board.  But regardless, the question was about HAL and he couldn't resist turning it into an Oceania commercial.  Nothing new there.  🙄

• Haha 1

Our first booked Holland cruise is for Dec. 1, 2021 and I suspect it might be one of the first cruises to sail. It's an 11-day Caribbean cruise on the new Rotterdam. DH and I have no intention of cancelling and eagerly await the sailing. The only rub is whether or not vaccination proof will be required, which we hope is the case. We have been fully vaccinated since January.