Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

10 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Presently, yes, but requirements are changing frequently.  By then , we may not if all pax/crew fully vaccinated(my hope).  All ships are under 250 pax and not subject to CDC rules.  They started cruising about 4 weeks ago with 1 ship and now have 6 ships cruising.

I've always thought a steamboat trip along the Mississippi would be fun! I do hope you have a great time!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I've always thought a steamboat trip along the Mississippi would be fun! I do hope you have a great time!

Thanks.  We cruised on a subsidiary  Pearl Seas, to Cuba in 2019 and liked it.  This is a Columbia river cruise.

Edited by Tom47

On 4/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, harkinmr said:

The cruise lines and the CDC are now actively working together to restart cruising by mid-summer.  You can choose to believe that and be optimistic about it or not, but I know it's not as much fun as bashing the CDC.

I had to stop listening to cruise radio's daily briefings because they were so excited to be Team Anti-CDC!

Because after all, this is a comic book and the CDC are the villains.

/sigh

• Like 8

On 4/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, DWhit said:

I figure a cruise company and should be able to decide to whom they provide services, as long as no denial of services violate laws where they operating.  If they want to have a cruise for vaccinated folks only, that is their right.  If they want to provide a cruise for non-vaccinated people only, that is their right.  After all the purpose of a cruise company is not provide cruises, it is to make money for shareholders.

It’s my understanding a big part of the issue is DeSantis. Many cruise lines would like to require all guests to have proof of vaccination. As a private corporation, they should be allowed to do so. But DeSantis just signed an executive order declaring no company in the state of Florida may require customers and employees to be vaccinated.  And he claims this extends to the cruise lines sailing in and out of Florida ports.

I would expect the CDC to continue to hold off on cruising for this simple reason. 

It’s incredibly frustrating for my husband and myself as, at the time we booked our November 2021 cruise, we were told ALL PASSENGERS would be required to show proof of vaccine.  Now, we’ll certainly have to be masked up the entire cruise...if we get to cruise at all.   

4 minutes ago, satchimosmom said:

It’s my understanding a big part of the issue is DeSantis. Many cruise lines would like to require all guests to have proof of vaccination. As a private corporation, they should be allowed to do so. But DeSantis just signed an executive order declaring no company in the state of Florida may require customers and employees to be vaccinated.  And he claims this extends to the cruise lines sailing in and out of Florida ports.

I would expect the CDC to continue to hold off on cruising for this simple reason. 

It’s incredibly frustrating for my husband and myself as, at the time we booked our November 2021 cruise, we were told ALL PASSENGERS would be required to show proof of vaccine.  Now, we’ll certainly have to be masked up the entire cruise...if we get to cruise at all.   

DeSantis is a publicity hound nothing more. If the CDC says that the vaccine is mandatory to sail, he will cancel his executive order and the people of Florida will praise him as a hero rather than the zero he has shown throughout this pandemic.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, satchimosmom said:

I would not concern yourself with the Governor's "ban" on proof of vaccine requests by private businesses.  Based on the fact that any private business can have reasonable restrictions for access to their premises and services, provided those restriction apply to all patrons and do not discriminate against persons in a protected class, then requiring vaccines will likely be legal.  Unvaccinated persons are not a protected class, although that may change at least with respect to those who are precluded from the vaccine by a documented medical condition, or perhaps documented religious exemptions.  Voluntary refusal to be vaccinated would probably not be protected.

I believe that DeSantis' purported ban on vaccine mandates by the cruise lines will fail.  He has no authority over businesses engaged in interstate or international travel.  What is particularly irksome is that he is being aggressive in his efforts to prompt the restart of cruises, but then turns around and shoots himself in the foot by attempting to take away the one vehicle that will allow cruise lines to do so.  Shortsighted to say the least.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Tom47 said:

DW and I are going on a US river cruise in Sept with ACL   They are waiving negative Covid PCR test for all fully vaccinated pax.

So  how does it make sense to stop oceanic cruises if this is happening in our own backyard?  CDC, please get competent help...oh that's just too easy.  Noticed the big wrestling  night this week where the guy broke his leg, not that I watch that junk, but even Tom (maskless) Brady was there.  Lots of sports fans not even masked or distanced.  And now Fauci is saying (SURPRISE) no mask is needed outdoors at all.  Brilliant!  It is totally obvious that for some unknown reason, CDC is singling out cruise industry to muck with.  WHAT is their problem?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

...I believe that DeSantis' purported ban on vaccine mandates by the cruise lines will fail.  He has no authority over businesses engaged in interstate or international travel.  What is particularly irksome is that he is being aggressive in his efforts to prompt the restart of cruises, but then turns around and shoots himself in the foot by attempting to take away the one vehicle that will allow cruise lines to do so.  Shortsighted to say the least.

I was very surprised when I read that he extended the no vaccine passport to cruise ships.  IMO, not a wise move since he’s suing the CDC to allow cruising and a fully vaccinated ship would be the best way to get cruising restarted. I don’t think he has the legal authority to require cruise lines (as they are international corporations) to do anything. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, satchimosmom said:

He just added fuel to the fire. Now the CDC has another reason to prevent cruise ships from sailing out of Florida.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

So  how does it make sense to stop oceanic cruises if this is happening in our own backyard?  CDC, please get competent help...oh that's just too easy.  Noticed the big wrestling  night this week where the guy broke his leg, not that I watch that junk, but even Tom (maskless) Brady was there.  Lots of sports fans not even masked or distanced.  And now Fauci is saying (SURPRISE) no mask is needed outdoors at all.  Brilliant!  It is totally obvious that for some unknown reason, CDC is singling out cruise industry to muck with.  WHAT is their problem?

There is a world wide public health emergency at the moment. I'm sure the CDC will get back to you once the emergency is over. In the mean time, if you haven't done so please get a covid vaccination as soon as possible and continue to follow the advice of your local public health authority.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Thin skin seems to be an epidemic on CC these days.

Thin skin has always been and epidemic on CC especially those who are one cruise line loyalists. The topic just changed from smoking and dress code to masks and vaccines

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yet again Fauci and the CDC are a day late and a dollar short.  I have never worn a mask outside before or after vaccination.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, broberts said:

There is a world wide public health emergency at the moment. I'm sure the CDC will get back to you once the emergency is over. In the mean time, if you haven't done so please get a covid vaccination as soon as possible and continue to follow the advice of your local public health authority.

But I believe there are things that could be done to get cruising started up again from US ports, like lifting the requirement for a ship to have to stop in a foreign port.  We could have cruises in the Caribbean that only go to private islands or cruises to nowhere.  On the west coast, ships could go to Catalina and Alaska.  Cruises could start up again in Hawaii.  There are a lot of possibilities for wonderful cruises without ever leaving the US.

• Like 1