The Daily for Friday Apr 30, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, kazu said:

That looks like the Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, NB. (A very historic hotel with a rich heritage).   That means you docked in Saint John.  Pity we hadn’t known you back then to meet up 😔 

That is a very nice place @kazu and I think Captain Darin Bowland wanted to spend the day at home that's why he took us to St John ! 😀

St John is also a very nice port to sail into !  

When I speak of Captain Darin Bowland  I have to tell you about the beautiful  Renewal of Vows he performed on us for our 50th on the Koningsdam in the Mediterranean in 2019  in front of our oldest daughter and her family . ( Their first cruise ! ) 

I booked that and it was a total surprise to Martha until we both arrived on board ship and she got a huge bunch of roses when we entered  our cabin on day one .

IMG_6143_.thumb.jpg.bd6841c9eb0ecce1e90345efed518a1e.jpg

I am not a little guy but you can see the difference .  As real Canadians we talked hockey of coarse  he said he used to be a goalie , I can see why ! 

1720612130_IMG_6146_2.thumb.jpg.abd9acd028a2d78ccdf32071fb61a1b8.jpg

1380682243_IMG_09842.thumb.jpg.75ea46a74fbe64b7bd1f83206af5656e.jpg

IMG_0986.thumb.JPG.31ed8cb363e6b0786e430322b18bcd8a.JPG

IMG_9986.thumb.jpg.772720c7dd5d6e7d698e7798dd12a0d6.jpg

I can really recommend booking a Renewal of Vows if you are celebrating an anniversary ..... or anytime you feel like it . It was a wonderful experience and this time I did not have to promise anything .........! 

Tony 😀😀

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 23

17 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

17 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

That is a very nice place @kazu and I think Captain Darin Bowland wanted to spend the day at home that's why he took us to St John ! 😀

Saint John has really become a favourite port for many.  The welcoming committee gives a rose to the ladies and a pin to the men.  The city itself is the oldest incorporated city in Canada with a beautiful century old city market.  Outside are such lovely sites such as St Martin’s caves, whale watching,  St Andrews and of course, the lovely Algonquin hotel.

A word of warning.  Never say St. John.  If you tell Air Canada you are going to St. John, you could end up in Newfoundland.  Lots of people who thought they were coming to Saint John have ended up in St. John’s and vice versa. 😉 

What a lovely pic of the you and Martha.  

Love this.  Just one little change to the phrase used all the time on HAL and so very true.

I can really recommend booking a Renewal of Vows if you are celebrating an anniversary ..... or anytime you feel like it . It was a wonderful experience and this time I did not have to promise anything .

I’ve been lucky enough to attend a couple of renewal of vows.  They are really well done.  LOL on not having to promise anything. 😉. The ones I went to, they did - to continue to love and cherish each other.

Thanks for sharing 🙂 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

A word of warning.  Never say St. John.  If you tell Air Canada you are going to St. John, you could end up in Newfoundland.  Lots of people who thought they were coming to Saint John have ended up in St. John’s and vice versa. 😉 

We can attest to this.  Many years ago, one of the people working for DH boarded a flight in San Francisco to do some work at Irving Paper outside of St. John.  He was very surprised when he stepped off the plane in St. John's, Newfoundland!  🤣 

We have been fortunate to visit both, and would willingly return to either.  We enjoyed our two days in St. John in 2004 on b2bs out of NYC.  We rented a car one day, and toured the area, which is lovely.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

Just got a call from my Bernina dealer (near the harbor) and my special order part arrived. So, being I’m on my own today, and Zuidie and Westie are “in town”, I think a drive is in order. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11

DH just got a survey from HAL with questions about resuming cruising, and his thoughts about the health and safety policies they would be implementing.    They wanted to know he felt about vaccination requirements, social distancing, wearing masks inside or out on deck, temperature checks, Covid-19 tests, etc. for both passengers and crew.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

@rafinmdOne day I will get to Singer Castle. It's so close, but we just haven't done it. We have visited Boldt Castle many times, taking company to see it.

No, Dh was not a lecturer. The Amazon is on his bucket list.  We were booked to do it in Nov. 2019. Now we are booked on the Grand SA, 2023. Did you do a blog on the Grand SA?  I would love to read it.

• Like 9

What a day!  Good morning, still, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy and all who post.  I had posted when the thread was still on page 2, but my post disappeared, and then Pat wanted to go out.  We had a little trip to Lee Valley, where I could shop all  day, and of course bought more than we intended.  We got DD her birthday present, a telescoping long-armed pruner, so she can pick her beloved dahlias through or over the mesh fencing she puts around them.  I think it will be a great success, as it holds the flower after snipping.  One of the gardeners out at Butchart's recommended it.

@NextOne's DH and @Horizon chaser 1957 's whole family will be on the receiving end of my prayers now.  

I have a bit of good news - my dear cousin in England has finally decided to get "the jab".  She had been so hesitant, but now has a bad cold and is having to be tested for Covid every few days, and she was terribly upset about India (she loves India and visits there regularly), so thinks the best thing to do is to be vaccinated.  I am very relieved.  Also, we're hoping DD who lives with us will receiver her "invitation" to be vaccinated any day now.

I have one picture approaching Quebec, and then a couple nearing Montreal in the evening.  

IMG_3337.thumb.JPG.ce587863ff291870266384b2e9033b86.JPG

IMG_3450.thumb.JPG.1973a4926b0f0ab5b2a01ed9dd22e079.JPG

IMG_3453.thumb.JPG.e0f7b320c9bee07739f5c7f683bf0ee4.JPG

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

DH just got a survey from HAL with questions about resuming cruising, and his thoughts about the health and safety policies they would be implementing.    They wanted to know he felt about vaccination requirements, social distancing, wearing masks inside or out on deck, temperature checks, Covid-19 tests, etc. for both passengers and crew.

Lenda

I just got that, too.  I plan to give them a piece of  my mind.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

I hope I get one of those surveys.

Jane

57 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

When I speak of Captain Darin Bowland  I have to tell you about the beautiful  Renewal of Vows he performed on us for our 50th on the Koningsdam in the Mediterranean in 2019  in front of our oldest daughter and her family . ( Their first cruise ! ) 

I booked that and it was a total surprise to Martha until we both arrived on board ship and she got a huge bunch of roses when we entered  our cabin on day one .

I am not a little guy but you can see the difference .  As real Canadians we talked hockey of coarse  he said he used to be a goalie , I can see why ! 

1720612130_IMG_6146_2.thumb.jpg.abd9acd028a2d78ccdf32071fb61a1b8.jpg

1380682243_IMG_09842.thumb.jpg.75ea46a74fbe64b7bd1f83206af5656e.jpg

IMG_9986.thumb.jpg.772720c7dd5d6e7d698e7798dd12a0d6.jpg

I can really recommend booking a Renewal of Vows if you are celebrating an anniversary ..... or anytime you feel like it . It was a wonderful experience and this time I did not have to promise anything .........! 

Tony 😀😀

I have never really understood the reason to have a renewal of Vows ceremony. ( I was married for 57 years until death did us part). Either your origional vows are still being practiced or they aren't. However this looks like a very nice private party for your family and a 50th wedding anniversary is certainly worth having a party. Congrats

Jane.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Boo. Just got a frost advisory for my area. Guess I'll put the strawberry pot back in the garage.

It's my fault: I washed my winter coat and put it away. They are threatening us with snow, but none expected to stick.

No pictures of the St. Lawrence. I have some of the Bay of Fundy but they're not digital.

In a gardening forum I've been talking with folks about brunnera and hosta. I prefer the look of hostas, but deer love them and don't eat brunneras. I fence the vegetable patch but ornamentals are not, well, ornamental with wire fencing around them. I'm pleased that, of the seeds I started indoors, germination is about 95%. Most of those plants are for later fill-in; only peas, lettuce, and radishes have been planted outdoors so far.

• Like 10

Late to the party today.

Similar to many other 'dailyites' we have had a busy day with medical appointments.  This morning we had a two hour webinar about hormone therapy treatment as part of cancer treatment, followed by a quick lunch, then out to the hospital for a surgical review.  Thankfully everything is proceeding to plan.

Last night our government announced a relaxation of the lockdown that we have been under since December 24th! 😃  Travel within the country can commence again from May 10th and from May 17th all retail will be open again.  However it will be early June before restaurants can reopen for outdoor dining and hotels can also reopen.

Little steps, but important steps!

@Vict0riannso glad your biopsy turned out benign.

@NextOneBest wishes to your DH for his surgery and future treatments.

@ger_77Sorry to hear of your DH's back problems,  You really will have to start carrying your own wine glass......poor man 😜

@Horizon chaser 1957sorry to hear of your DD's relationship difficulties,  It is so difficult for us parents when our children are in far off places and need a hug from us.

take care everyone

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

They must be desperate - I received a HAL survey, too, and I never get them!  Going right now to fill it out.

@Horizon chaser 1957my heart goes out to you as a parent, wanting to be there to provide comfort for your child going through a break-up.  Feeling sad for your BIL; prayers for comfort there, too.

@TiogaCruiser what part did you break?  Was it on a sewing machine, or serger?  I have a little Bernette 60 that has just been a workhorse for the past 15 or more years, and I absolutely love it.

@VMax1700either I'll have to carry my own glass, or I'll have to get one that holds less . . . yeah, like that's going to happen!  LOL

Play nicely everyone, see you next month!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

There is a place for comments at the end of a multi-page survey.

Excellent - thanks.  I probably won’t get one.  I never do but if I do, I’m going to add my 2 cents on ambiguity of getting off the ship and what we are limited to.

• Like 5

@Horizon chaser 1957 - good luck and best wishes as you deal with a couple of sad situations. 

I've been working in the yard most of the day since it was sunny and pleasant. I finally got the last of the pine needles and sticks cleared out of the back gardens and hauled off to the yard waste site. Now I can see what is really growing! Daffodils, hyacinth, bleeding hearts, and tulips are starting to bloom and I need to get some pictures so I don't forget what is growing where. 

@sailingdutchy - We have sailed with Captain Bowland a couple of times. He presented us with our Bronze Medallions on our Transatlantic -

1473615683_BronzeMedallion_20210430.thumb.jpg.d0cea17d8499a79880d235cb32af7a5e.jpg

We would be happy to to sail with him again (actually, we would be happy to sail with any HAL captain)!

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Tbay said:

@rafinmdOne day I will get to Singer Castle. It's so close, but we just haven't done it. We have visited Boldt Castle many times, taking company to see it.

No, Dh was not a lecturer. The Amazon is on his bucket list.  We were booked to do it in Nov. 2019. Now we are booked on the Grand SA, 2023. Did you do a blog on the Grand SA?  I would love to read it.

I got diverted and will break this into 2 posts, one about my blog and the other about the lecturer.  I blogged about it in my blog for (several) extended trips:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/

Entries are in reverse order and this trip is sort of in the middle of the blog.  There should be an "Archive" listing somewhere, most likely to the right margin, and you would want the archives for January, February, and March 2019.

It might be a bit easier to follow my companion thread on Cruise Critic:

Roy

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Tbay said:

For a while I thought I was losing my mind but not quite.  Jim McParland was a lecturer for several weeks.  I got a "contact" with the blog from his wife, asking me go give him her best (He doesn't always have time for wifi on the ship).  He was not from Brockville, he was from Gananoque but somehow we ended up talking about the rail tunnel and I associated him with Brockville.  Sadly, on my last trip on the 401 it was the Civic Holiday and when I tried to stop at the rail tunnel there was no parking.

A cousin's DH was a Dentist in Brockville before retiring to British Columbia around 1990.

Roy

• Like 5

Good afternoon....busy day, went in to work today and just got home!  We did one cruise on the St. Lawrence, Quebec to New York on the Eurodam in 2009.  Captain Bowland was our captain too, and he was great.  Our favorite times were when we were on our balcony (we had been upgraded from an OV to balcony....nice!), and we could look into the bridge wing and see the captain.  We saw him enjoying his coffee, and when he saw us he waved!!

@Horizon chaser 1957so sorry to hear your news...prayers for all.

@VictOriannglad to hear your good biopsy news!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Laura

DSCN4588 cropped.jpg

DSCN3979.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

They must be desperate - I received a HAL survey, too, and I never get them!  Going right now to fill it out.

@Horizon chaser 1957my heart goes out to you as a parent, wanting to be there to provide comfort for your child going through a break-up.  Feeling sad for your BIL; prayers for comfort there, too.

@TiogaCruiser what part did you break?  Was it on a sewing machine, or serger?  I have a little Bernette 60 that has just been a workhorse for the past 15 or more years, and I absolutely love it.

@VMax1700either I'll have to carry my own glass, or I'll have to get one that holds less . . . yeah, like that's going to happen!  LOL

Play nicely everyone, see you next month!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

No need to carry your wine glass, just use a wine tote!

image.png.4d7e04c323a8fa3d707ef41a577f7332.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Two ships have sailed us on the St. Laurence River.  We were on the Splendour OTS, Fall Foliage cruise in October, 2000, and on Zuiderdam’s Canada/New England cruise, more recent in September, 2018.  We received our Platinum award on Zuidy!

• Like 10

Weirdly enough we didn't get a request from HAL to take a survey but DH did get a request tonight from Seabourn to do that same survey.  Hopefully he will get on that real quick!

@kpladyyour photo of the waving Captain to your balcony reminds me of a cruise where we had a balcony below and a few cabins aft of the bridge.  We were able to watch the goings-on in the bridge quite a bit.  Lots of waving back and forth.  Great memories from our cruising days!

• Like 9

I think I am more excited for DD's appointment than I was for ours.  She got the "invitation" this afternoon, and has made her appointment for next Tuesday.  Then we will have a vaccinated household.

• Like 13