Sonesta or Riverside hotels, Fort Lauderdale

sandancer

We have 4 nights between cruises at Easter next year and I am looking at both of these hotels. We do like the beach but at Spring Break maybe a hotel away from the action may be preferable. We usually stay in Hollywood Beach but thought maybe a change of scene this time round. Any advice?  Thanks in advance. 

Besides seeking input here, you might want to check TripAdvisor for both hotels. My own feeling about on line reviews is that people who have very good experiences or not so good tend to post about them. Nevertheless they are input that can be considered. 

I have stayed at The Riverside multiple times over the years. It is one of my favorite hotels with a great location.  Many restaurants, bars, shops, etc......are on both sides. And less than a block behind is a Water Taxi Station. 

I hope to sail in early December out of Ft. Lauderdale and will be staying there pre-cruise again (hopefully)🙂

I stayed alone for two weeks at the Riverside in a tower room during Spring Break this year.  I was very happy to miss all the mayhem on the beach.  The Riverwalk behind the hotel is safe and quite nice for walking to several good restaurants.  The Riverside has a newer, casual restaurant next to the pool, and the food at the hotel dining room was really good.  Covid rules about masks were strictly enforced in the hotel.  The hotel itself is old, but in much better shape than the Embassy Suites, when I stayed there in 2020.

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 3:50 PM, Lois R said:

I have stayed at The Riverside multiple times over the years. It is one of my favorite hotels with a great location.  Many restaurants, bars, shops, etc......are on both sides. And less than a block behind is a Water Taxi Station. 

I hope to sail in early December out of Ft. Lauderdale and will be staying there pre-cruise again (hopefully)🙂

Agree with Lois that the Riverside's location is hard to beat. Many top restaurants in walking distance, a great pool, and proximity to the Water Taxi makes this a great choice. If we are not staying at the Hyatt Place near the port, we are staying here.

I stayed at the Riverside a few years back.  The location is hard to beat.  We took the water taxi around the intracoastal,  hopped off for dinner then took an Uber back for a night cap on Las Olas.  There is a great art festival on Las Olas Blvd a few times a year that is nice to walk through. 

My only suggestion would be to avoid the entry-level room at the Riverside and go with a tower room next time.  We booked last minute via Hotwire and the room was crazy small even for two people.  

Planning a family Cruise in December from Miami. Any suggestions on Hotels either in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (whichever is more reasonably priced) with Park N Cruise or Fly N Cruise and with possible Cruise terminal shuttle service?

Thanks

The water taxi stops at the back of the Doubletree Galleria.  Walk through their lobby, and the mall is on your left.

I stayed at the Riverside in a tower room for two weeks in March.  Very convenient.  I thought it was actually better than right on the beach that can get very loud and crowded at night.

Edited by Suzanne123

4 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Planning a family Cruise in December from Miami. Any suggestions on Hotels either in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (whichever is more reasonably priced) with Park N Cruise or Fly N Cruise and with possible Cruise terminal shuttle service?

Just a consideration - you will not find Fort Lauderdale hotels with shuttle service to Miami.  It's time consuming and the shuttles would be returning empty.  That said there are shuttle companies that pick up from some Fort Lauderdale hotels and the airport and drop off at Port Miami.  SAS is frequently recommended on this board (but I've never used them).  Pre-covid the price was $15 per person.  I haven't heard if it is the same now.

We're staying at the Sonesta FLL Beach again for our Jan. cruise and have arranged transportation for Port of Miami the following day with Larry's Limos.  Have used them in the past.  They were outstanding!  I believe it is costing $80 plus 20% gratuity for a towncar for the two of us.  

14 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

So now we have  reservations for one week in Jan at both the Sonesta and the Riverside. The prices are comparable. 

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I have never stayed at Sonesta so cannot give an opinion on it. But I have stayed at Riverside multiple times over the years and will be staying there again in December🙂...I keeping go back so that must say something👍.......location, location, location!  And I am not a person who cares about staying near/on the beach.  I would recommend The Riverside every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2021 at 8:53 AM, Lois R said:

I have never stayed at Sonesta so cannot give an opinion on it. But I have stayed at Riverside multiple times over the years and will be staying there again in December🙂...I keeping go back so that must say something👍.......location, location, location!  And I am not a person who cares about staying near/on the beach.  I would recommend The Riverside every time.

Lois, thanks for the recommendation. We've just booked the Riverside for a December stay😊

-Michelle