Unvaccinated cruises out of FL - DeSantis signs in to law “no vaccine passports”

If DeSantis wants the millions of dollars in business, there isn’t much you can really say...

if he wants to play hardball Cruise lines can run their business right out of the state, Other states will be more than happy to have ships dock there!😉🤷‍♂️

https://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/cruise-covid-vaccine-proof-florida-vaccine-passport-ban/67-4db7f101-2a46-48ba-a1fb-5f4f20f05f48

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, B Midged said:

Obviously, unless they were sneaking out at night hugging and kissing people they didn’t even know 

Well, considering that the HVAC system does not recirculate air between cabins, that is an impossibility.  The people were let out of their cabins for restricted periods every day into public spaces, though.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Are you saying that it spread from cabin to cabin via the HVAC system?  I'd be interested in the source of that information.

They never determined it because forensics were not performed. What they know is that during the extended lockdown with people in their cabins, people continued to develop symptoms over an extended period of lockdown and they could not understand why.  HVAC?  The process of distributing food? Or did it simply take over a week for some to develop symptoms after being exposed before lockdown?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

They never determined it because forensics were not performed. What they know is that during the extended lockdown with people in their cabins, people continued to develop symptoms over an extended period of lockdown and they could not understand why.  HVAC?  The process of distributing food? Or did it simply take over a week for some to develop symptoms after being exposed before lockdown?  

Well, as I've said many times on many threads about AC in cruise ship cabins, there is no co-mingling of air between cabins, so that method is unlikely, if not impossible.  During their lockdown, they were allowed outside their cabins for designated times, in public areas.  I think it was conclusively determined that it was the crew distributing food that were not trained in aerosol viral mitigation methods.  Even a study done by RCG showed that viral load cannot be maintained over the distances involved in a ship's HVAC system.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Good points.  The difference being, President Biden has been a huge proponent of getting as many vaccines administered to as many people as possible, in the shortest amount of time.  He knows doing that is the quickest path to herd immunity.  DeSantis has done everything in his power to hide and misreport his state's COVID statistics, did little to stop its spread, and has been throwing roadblocks up for  cruise lines to forge an avenue  for safe sailing.

Therein lies the decision by NCL to require 100% vaccine for anyone on board any of their ships, and sailing out of Jamaica instead of FL.

Just because you repeat something over and over and over and over again does not make it true.

Where in the world do you get that NCL's decision to sail out of Jamaica have anything to do with the State Of Florida?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Just because you repeat something over and over and over and over again does not make it true.

DITTO!

48 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Where in the world do you get that NCL's decision to sail out of Jamaica have anything to do with the State Of Florida?

NCL’s vaccine mandate will apply to ALL their cruises, including cruises from the US through October 31. Already announced.  Don’t see them dropping it now if they can get quick approval from the CDC to sail no matter what the Governor of Florida says. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

DITTO!

NCL’s vaccine mandate will apply to ALL their cruises, including cruises from the US through October 31. Already announced.  Don’t see them dropping it now if they can get quick approval from the CDC to sail no matter what the Governor of Florida says. 

OK.  This has nothing to do with moving ships out of US ports.  That was done because they were getting nowhere with the CDC.

Funny, cruise lines are getting their crews vaccinated in Miami and Port Canaveral.  Looks like they think they will sail out of Florida soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

OK.  This has nothing to do with moving ships out of US ports.  That was done because they were getting nowhere with the CDC.

Funny, cruise lines are getting their crews vaccinated in Miami and Port Canaveral.  Looks like they think they will sail out of Florida soon.

No, I'd say they see it as a cheap way to ensure their crews are vaccinated.  If Carteret, NJ started to offer vaccinations to crew, the ships would be there as well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Yep.  

I'm sure there will be a chime that it is the cheap way out for the cruise lines from those opposed to cruising ever again.

Nice post.

I  disagree with Drew69. In January of thus year, when I went to get my gold star license. my fingerprints were taken. They were not the fancy kind  required for Trusted Traveler or Concealed Carry.. Personally,  no one I know in this country  has a vaccine passport.  If Dew69 is speaking about the vaccine card we received, it is not a passport. Its main purpose was to show me what products would be injected. The nurse showed me the matching information on the dose package both times.

Chinese  friends told me that their government knows everything it wants to know about them. They carry a government issued card.,I don't want my government to collect so much information about me. Electronic records are extremely easy to move around. .If you use social media,  surely you have noticed that when you order products on line, ads about them pop up on your thread sometimes  in minutes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, warburg said:

I don't want my government to collect so much information about me.

I believe you'd be mistaken if you think it hasn't been recorded with the government what vaccine you received.  At least in New York the minimum level of government that knows I have completed the vaccine is the state, but it may also have been recorded with the CDC.

1 hour ago, warburg said:

If you use social media,  surely you have noticed that when you order products on line, ads about them pop up on your thread sometimes  in minutes.

That's all based on the cookies on your computer.  If you use incognito mode to make that purchase I bet those ads don't show up...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, considering that the HVAC system does not recirculate air between cabins, that is an impossibility.  The people were let out of their cabins for restricted periods every day into public spaces, though.

Airflow does not work like that regardless of what you think. If it did you wouldn’t have complaints about people smoking in cabins just down the hall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, B Midged said:

Airflow does not work like that regardless of what you think. If it did you wouldn’t have complaints about people smoking in cabins just down the hall. 

How much time have you spent working on ship's HVAC systems?  For that matter, if covid can present a viable threat after going through an HVAC system, why are buildings ashore not all closed down until they redesign their HVAC systems?

• Like 4

On 5/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Anyone worried about that should stay home. 

Agree,  some seem to think they will be immune from other illnesses. There has always been a risk with foreign travel & cruises & always will be.

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, as I've said many times on many threads about AC in cruise ship cabins, there is no co-mingling of air between cabins, so that method is unlikely, if not impossible.  During their lockdown, they were allowed outside their cabins for designated times, in public areas.  I think it was conclusively determined that it was the crew distributing food that were not trained in aerosol viral mitigation methods.  Even a study done by RCG showed that viral load cannot be maintained over the distances involved in a ship's HVAC system.

Again clearly there is commingling of air between cabins. It’s basic physics   If there wasn’t, one could smoke in their cabin without anyone in the other cabins even being aware. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, B Midged said:

Again clearly there is commingling of air between cabins. It’s basic physics   If there wasn’t, one could smoke in their cabin without anyone in the other cabins even being aware. 

Let's see, some physics.  Cabins are kept at a slight positive pressure.  How?  By supplying more air than is taken away in the bathroom.  Why?  To keep smoke from entering the cabin in a fire, through the gap under the door to the "hallway".  Passageways are kept at a lower pressure than cabins, for the exact same reason.  Therefore, "basic physics" says that air will flow from your cabin out into the passageway (higher pressure to lower pressure).  This is the same for all cabins, so where does the air from someone else's cabin get into yours?

But this topic is far from the original one, so I'll let it drop here.

• Like 1

Folks, the Federal government has absolute control over international travel and can require proof of vaccinations to re-enter the country.  heck, during a pandemic cleaning spree, I tossed my yellow smallpox vaccine card from my first trip abroad in 1971.

The cruise line sure isn't going to let you board if you aren't going to be allowed back in. What proof is required is up to CBP and Homeland security. 

• Like 4

A true conservative lets private businesses run businesses the way they want to.  If a cruising company wants to protect workers and require a vaccine for measles or covid, that's their right.  If a cruise company wants to allow no vaccines, that's their right.  Customers can decide what is right for them.  To punish a cruise line to make a political point is wrong especially since we are so close to start cruising again.

Its my ship, I pay your port fees and taxes, let me allow who I want on board.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, PuraVida3000 said:

No, they don’t — as their own lawyers have already stated. But establishing their right to disregard the FL law as preempted by federal law will take time and money (both in litigation expense and lost revenue from not being able

to start cruising ASAP).

It is easier and cheaper to simply redeploy their fleet ... and it’s not just cheaper ... it allows them to start making money sooner!

They know they can redeploy the fleet to ports that will allow them to comply with Federal law, make money, and wait for FL to back off their position or lose in court. 

They are not worried ... they are signaling to FL their intentions.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

A true conservative lets private businesses run businesses the way they want to.  If a cruising company wants to protect workers and require a vaccine for measles or covid, that's their right.  If a cruise company wants to allow no vaccines, that's their right.  Customers can decide what is right for them.  To punish a cruise line to make a political point is wrong especially since we are so close to start cruising again.

I said exactly that in another thread or maybe it is this one??? I can’t remember. DeSantis is going totally against conservative governing. 

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Many conservatives have forgotten this point entirely!! Just like a restaurant. If a private business requires you to wear a mask, then as a true conservative you should support their right to do that. You also have the right to not visit that business.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2021 at 5:37 PM, Middleager said:

I'd only go on cruise that require 100% guests/crews to fully vaccinated.  If that means not cruising out of FL, fine with us.  We have to fly to get to a cruise port, so it doesn't matter that much which ports we fly in and out of.  If DeSantis forces cruises away from FL, it's FL's loss of those cruise related businesses.

exactly how we feel, we're  fine sailing out of other ports. hopefully we will have more options besides FL soon.  We like cruising out of New York but closer to home would be even more ideal. C'mon Baltimore or Norfolk, pick up some NCL ships!

• Like 4