Has anyone bought separate travel insurance for adventures of the seas?

It looks like the only part someone might need insurance is if one tested positive right before boarding the ship and need quarantine locally, or right before leaving the ship and need to quarantine locally.  According to Royal:

Onboard SARS-CoV-2 evaluation and testing that is performed as a recommendation of the onboard medical team is free of charge, as well as COVID-19-related medical treatment provided while onboard, should additional treatment be necessary.

2 minutes ago, gretchengao said:

It looks like the only part someone might need insurance is if one tested positive right before boarding the ship and need quarantine locally, or right before leaving the ship and need to quarantine locally.  According to Royal:

Onboard SARS-CoV-2 evaluation and testing that is performed as a recommendation of the onboard medical team is free of charge, as well as COVID-19-related medical treatment provided while onboard, should additional treatment be 

That is what the health visa is for.

You may want medical insurance and medical transportation (airlift) if you get injured after you arrive in the Bahamas.

Edited by later
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always buy 3rd party travel insurance. Have a medical issue that causes you to be airlifted or taken to a hospital in a port could financially ruin you!! Just about every cruise I’ve been on I’ve see someone getting off in port in a ambulance. Watched 2 airlifts and had 2 ships go to a port to drop someone off for an emergency.

What’s a extra couple hundred dollars?! If you can’t afford that then probably shouldn’t be going in the first place.... 

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You buy Bahamas health insurance as part of your health visa to travel there, even if vaccinated.  So you are covered for quarantine if you test positive on the island before boarding.  If you tested positive on the ship they would evacuate you to shore there and your visa would likely still cover that.  Vaccinated people no longer need any testing to visit the island so my guess is that the ship won't need to do a test before returning to port.  Will be interesting to see how RCI adjusts their procedures to match the new Bahamas rules.  They might still do exit testing since CDC is requiring a test to fly back to the US even if you are vaccinated.  Otherwise most people would need to find a lab when they got off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we always purchase 3rd party travel insurance.   In the past we purchased GeoBlue thru bluecross/blueshield either their Trekker or Voyager plan.   We will be sailing on a b2b on Vision out of Bermuda and I definitely need to research the travel policies in the next couple of weeks to see what coverages are provided for covid, etc.   

there is a thread on CC that offers travel insurance info, so will probably check out what is being discussed on there, you might want to do the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For specifically Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau, I'm really not terribly worried. Between all the focus by Royal Caribbean on ensuring everyone sailing feels comfortable being taken care of should something occur, plus the specific coverage included as part of the Bahamas Health Visa to cover on-island quarantine up to $500/day for 14 days, plus $50,000 medical coverage and $50,000 evacuation coverage, AND that we're what 60 miles away from the US most of the time, anyway. Just not worried that much.

That said, I did also seek out my first-time annual travel insurance policy, hunting specifically for one with some coverage for COVID-19 related interruptions and medical coverage. Previously I'd bought it on a per-trip basis.

The one I eventually went with is Trawick Insurance, Safe Travels Deluxe Annual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm considering it if airlines continue pushing out schedule cuts. 

Right now American's September schedule is a placeholder that won't actually be flown.  With CocoCay being a a private island, if someone misses embarkation they won't be able to catch up to the ship until Cozumel on Wednesday.   I intentionally booked my flight to NAS with several backup options on AA if I miss my connection in MIA, but if those backups disappear I'll be buying a separate policy with missed connection/trip delay coverage.

• Thanks 1

I always get separate from the cruise line commercial travel insurance.  

this sailing I may not (17 July , if it sails). The only thing I may want it for would be medical evacuation (ya never know, getting older).  It seems like they have a decent policy if THEY (RC) cancels the sailing. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Heymarco said:

About 8 trips without travel insurance is enough to pay for an extra cruise. We have global health insurance. Also have some extra emergency coverage through premium travel credit card.

Not sorry  .so you have a over priced credit card that you pay annual  cost ? And I do not understand what is a global health insurance is ??  In  Australia we have free  medical. ???

I think  you are paying plenty. 🙄

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Most US health insurance only covers medical costs domestically. I’m lucky enough to have coverage everywhere.

Credit card is certainly not for everyone. We get 4 free bags when flying, unlimited lounge access, elite flyer benefits, rental car coverage, travel protection, full rental car protection, a great mileage booster, and then some. The miles we earn in a year pay for the card itself, everything else is a bonus and makes it totally worth it for us!

So you have insurance  !  It's your choice how you pay for it ...

No insurance = No Travel 

🙄

just booked the June 19 cruise on Adventure.  not grabbing travel insurance for this one.  Between the Health Visa coverage, my work insurance which has international coverage, and my credit card coverage I think I am set since the cruise is only 45 days away.

• Thanks 1

Just some friendly advice from personal experience.... I would read the fine print of your health insurance plan on what it actually covers internationally. Same goes for your platinum travel credit cards. I have both of these coverages but still buy 3rd party travel insurance mainly for the high medical coverage . All it takes is one event and you could be out $100,000s. Happens more then most people think.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Just some friendly advice from personal experience.... I would read the fine print of your health insurance plan on what it actually covers internationally. Same goes for your platinum travel credit cards. I have both of these coverages but still buy 3rd party travel insurance mainly for the high medical coverage . All it takes is one event and you could be out $100,000s. Happens more then most people think.... 

I have.  My travel credit card is ok, not great.  But my health insurance is really good.  I have one of those "Cadillac" plans that the government hates. 😉 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 10:20 AM, later said:

That is what the health visa is for. You may want medical insurance and medical transportation (airlift) if you get injured after you arrive in the Bahamas.

Bahama health visa won't air lift you from Mexico.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:39 PM, boatseller said:

Royal is covering quarantine costs for covid which they won't have to pay because the vax works..right? I'll be getting the usual repatriation medical in case I get frizzy hair or stub a toe.

The vaccine only prevents you from becoming seriously ill when you catch COVID,,, most of the time. As a vaccinated person, you could still catch COVID during your travels to the Bahamas, when you are on shore. And now, since they have done away with the pre-boarding COVID testing, someone can bring it onboard and infect everyone around. If you have good antibodies, you would not even notice that your body is fighting off the virus,,,, but you may test positive (esp on your pre-disembarkation test) which would strand you in Nassau. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The vaccine only prevents you from becoming seriously ill when you catch COVID,,, most of the time. As a vaccinated person, you could still catch COVID during your travels to the Bahamas, when you are on shore. And now, since they have done away with the pre-boarding COVID testing, someone can bring it onboard and infect everyone around. If you have good antibodies, you would not even notice that your body is fighting off the virus,,,, but you may test positive (esp on your pre-disembarkation test) which would strand you in Nassau. 

And it's proving out that even someone vaccinated who catches it is unlikely to be able to easily pass it on to others, even unvaccinated. Nothing is ever 100% risk-free, even pre-Covid.

We're heading towards no testing required for those who are vaccinated in most things. We're not there yet, of course. But that's a good representation of the expected risk from it, and delays getting there are probably more of a problem because of resistance to having easily used systems that can readily provide that proof.

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Well, I was just mocking the nitwit medical bruraucracy and their incoherent messaging on the vax.

And yes, eliminating all the testing is just a see no evil, hear no evil situation.  Gee, I sure hope the cruise lines don't get scammed buying like totally unreliable test kits...what a shame....