No More Masks

KennyFla

39 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Although you may be right about verification of vaccine card information, the cruise lines do in fact verify passport information as part of their security measures prior to boarding. In addition passenger manifests need to be provided to local governments, including here in the US where manifests must be reported to the Department of Homeland Security at least 60 minutes prior to sailing. 

thank you for sharing that info- I appreciate learning new things 🙂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I haven't done a lot of looking around, but what I did was used an old photo lamination card, the kind with one sticky side and one hard plastic side. I pulled the sticky side off and folded the hard plastic side in half. I creased the hard plastic side with a pen to get a good crease and then put my card in it and cut it to about 1/8" of plastic around all sides of the card. The plastic is heavy enough to keep the card from bending in my purse and since the card is completely encased but NOT stuck in there, it is well protected. Serves it's purpose. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that there are plastic sleeves that are already out there that would provide the same type of protection. I just used what I had around the house.

That's what I did.  I have mine in a plastic sleeve, too.  I bought those sleeves awhile ago, I believe from Amazon.  They were cheap, too.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That's what I did.  I have mine in a plastic sleeve, too.  I bought those sleeves awhile ago, I believe from Amazon.  They were cheap, too.

I went to Office Depot to buy something to laminate my card.  OD did it for me for free.

• Like 1

I wish NCL all the luck in the world with their stance on 100% vaccinated passengers.

Firstly, how are they going to verify the so called vaccination cards are not counterfeit?

Secondly, Our wonderful governor has signed an order that fines any business operating in Florida that requires vaccination to participate.

Lastly,  when are they going to accept people that have natural antibodies from the actual disease.  My antibodies give me more protection than your vaccination since mine were acquired from actual contact with the virus.  Whereas your vaccination is a gene therapy that simulates your "brush" with the virus.

52 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

I wish NCL all the luck in the world with their stance on 100% vaccinated passengers.

Firstly, how are they going to verify the so called vaccination cards are not counterfeit?

Secondly, Our wonderful governor has signed an order that fines any business operating in Florida that requires vaccination to participate.

Lastly,  when are they going to accept people that have natural antibodies from the actual disease.  My antibodies give me more protection than your vaccination since mine were acquired from actual contact with the virus.  Whereas your vaccination is a gene therapy that simulates your "brush" with the virus.

Wow, you clearly need to read up on the science of vaccination. The fact that you are calling it "gene therapy" and that you think natural immunity is stronger shows that you have done little/no reading or research.

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

You have a couple of things that are incorrect. mRNA vaccines are not gene therapy.

mRNA Vaccines Are NOT Gene Therapy As Some May Think

mRNA vaccines offer MORE protection than natural infection immunity. This is why people who have had Covid are recommended to get vaccinated........

Immune response from mRNA vaccines is more robust than natural infection

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Wow, you clearly need to read up on the science of vaccination. The fact that you are calling it "gene therapy" and that you think natural immunity is stronger shows that you have done little/no reading or research.

OR.....the reading and the research this person has done is from those sites that misinform with conspiracy theories.

• Like 6

Spoke with my favorite travel agent yesterday.  While I can't name her, she has a very good reputation and does a ton of business.  She told me she's getting a ton of push back from her clients about masks. Many are refusing to wear masks on cruises and are cancelling any cruise that would require a mask.  She's been getting many new reservations now it appears that masking is going away.

After umpteen cancellations, I'm feeling confident about my Dec Joy cruise. Fully vaccinated and hoping the mask mandate will be completely gone by then. Would be great to have everything back to normal and not be reminded about a year+ of restrictions.

6 hours ago, Beaver1975 said:

You actually have substantially less immunity. And your immunity will decrease more rapidly over time. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Beaver1975 said:

They need your federal CDC Vaccination card for pre-checkin and at embarkation.  Further, NCL requires 100% COVID vaccinations.  As such, any other non-vaccination claims are irrelevant.

Lastly, if you present a counterfeit and/or fake Federal CDC vaccination  card, you are denied boarding, which in turn ,means forfeiture of your entire fate costs and being reported for attempting to use a fake Federal CDC vaccine card, which is a Federal offense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You actually have substantially less immunity. And your immunity will decrease more rapidly over time. 

???

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/immunity-types.htm

Active immunity results when exposure to a disease organism triggers the immune system to produce antibodies to that disease. Exposure to the disease organism can occur through infection with the actual disease (resulting in natural immunity), or introduction of a killed or weakened form of the disease organism through vaccination (vaccine-induced immunity). Either way, if an immune person comes into contact with that disease in the future, their immune system will recognize it and immediately produce the antibodies needed to fight it.

Active immunity is long-lasting, and sometimes life-long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

???

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/immunity-types.htm

Active immunity results when exposure to a disease organism triggers the immune system to produce antibodies to that disease. Exposure to the disease organism can occur through infection with the actual disease (resulting in natural immunity), or introduction of a killed or weakened form of the disease organism through vaccination (vaccine-induced immunity). Either way, if an immune person comes into contact with that disease in the future, their immune system will recognize it and immediately produce the antibodies needed to fight it.

Active immunity is long-lasting, and sometimes life-long.

Immune response is showing to be more robust in vaccines over natural infection.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.15.440089v2.full.pdf

Vaccine antibodies likely last longer than those from natural infection, not to mention the vaccine seems to be protective for several of the variants.

• Like 1

Natural immunity still shouldn't be discounted.  It's too early to say anything definitive.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

"experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19"

"Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. "

The linked article is referring to mRNA vaccines, which not everyone has gotten. And is also very new technology

• Like 1

Did RC come up with the compromise?

Richard Fain, chief executive of Royal Caribbean, told the BBC "we expect all of our guests who are eligible for a vaccine to have it".

Mr Fain doesn't think that getting the industry fully up and running depends on the type of documents the airline industry is calling for.

"I don't think we're talking about a vaccine passport. I think we are talking about people who are vaccinated, and there are lots of different ways to show that".

He doesn't think that there are security issues around the paper documents issued to show vaccines have been given in countries such as the US and UK.

Asked about forgeries he replied: "We don't think many people would would even bother to do so."

"We've actually surveyed our guests and the vast bulk of the people that have booked our cruises have already been vaccinated, and they're volunteering it, they want it. And people want a place where they can go where they know they're safe."

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

Did RC come up with the compromise?

Richard Fain, chief executive of Royal Caribbean, told the BBC "we expect all of our guests who are eligible for a vaccine to have it".

Mr Fain doesn't think that getting the industry fully up and running depends on the type of documents the airline industry is calling for.

"I don't think we're talking about a vaccine passport. I think we are talking about people who are vaccinated, and there are lots of different ways to show that".

He doesn't think that there are security issues around the paper documents issued to show vaccines have been given in countries such as the US and UK.

Asked about forgeries he replied: "We don't think many people would would even bother to do so."

"We've actually surveyed our guests and the vast bulk of the people that have booked our cruises have already been vaccinated, and they're volunteering it, they want it. And people want a place where they can go where they know they're safe."

Something must be going on behind the scenes with DeSantis. RCCL is requiring vaccine for 18+ (soon to be 12+) and DeSantis has said they can sail out of FL. NCL now has the Sky sailing out of FL in September, yet their 100% vaccination requirement runs through Oct. 31. So the dam must have broken, behind the scenes at least, to allow these cruises out of FL even with the vaccine requirements.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 3

Pfizer vaccinations is supposed to be good against India covid19 variant. Having been vaccinated in February and March 2021 we are waiting for further information before cruising again.  Booster vaccinations etc.

Wife is stage 3 cancer survivor with compromised immune system.

I can’t wait to cruise again but very cautious as we lost several people to covid19. Looking forward to reading about start up cruises and reviews. If I was 40 again and vaccinated I’d be there.

66 and different problems we’ve been advised to wait. Stinks having to listen to reason, adult kids telling us stuff!
On the plus side during covid19 pandemic- we repainted inside of house, renovated kitchen, floors, mostly our free labor and our cruise money went there! Those who are cruising cannot wait to hear from you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My impression as well.  These are 'talking points' from those 

Its easy to feel justified when you label ideas or opinions you disagree with as conspiracy theories or misinformation.  Also easy to start depersonalizing people who disagree. Slippery slope.  Got my shots and I don't patronize the anti vax folks, but I respect those who don't want what is technically an experimental vaccine.  This isn't worth stoking division over, we probably have enough as it stands.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is simply too early to make a definitive claim regarding which offers more immunity in the long run. Even the CDC recognizes that much more research needs to be conducted. You could accurately say something along the lines of most early research indicates vaccines provide greater immunity.

There is currently a study going on at University of Michigan comparing natural vs. injection immunity over time and I think those making absolute claims could be embarrassed once the study is published.  And as @winterblissstated, T Cell research is very interesting if you have had covid. What we know about the virus is still evolving.

The Royal Blog mentioned yesterday that RCL had found a work around and would be sharing it this week. I agree there is something going on behind the scenes. 

15 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

This isn't worth stoking division over, we probably have enough as it stands.  

This is the most intelligent thing I have read on CC in ages. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Something must be going on behind the scenes with DeSantis. RCCL is requiring vaccine for 18+ (soon to be 12+) and DeSantis has said they can sail out of FL. NCL now has the Sky sailing out of FL in September, yet their 100% vaccination requirement runs through Oct. 31. So the dam must have broken, behind the scenes at least, to allow these cruises out of FL even with the vaccine requirements.

Saw that, too.  Not sure what's going on, but perhaps DeSantis doesn't want his acquiescence to the cruise lines' requirement to have COVID vaccine proof to be public.  But, given NCL's and now RCCL's requirements, it sounds like he's allowing the cruise lines to follow their own policies regarding proof of vaccinations.

So, nothing's changed regarding NCL's requirements....100% COVID vaccine to sail. For RCCL, not sure the exact dates, but those 12 YO and over require COVID Vaccine to sail.

I think we all more or less knew DeSantis would find a way to try and save face on this issue.  He just isn't publicly saying so.

That is, unless RCCL is blowing smoke about roof of COVID Vaccines for sailings out of FL.  I consider that doubtful, though.

13 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I was told not to laminate the card, to allow for boosters

Yeah...same here.  My GP didn't seem too concerned about lamination, as by the time any booster shot is required (if it's required), carrying proof of a COVID Vaccine would be a moot point as most would be vaccinated by then (a year from now).

Office Depot laminated mine for free.  But, I carry a copy with me in my wallet.

Do Americans have no yellow WHO-vac passport? I believe this one is accepted worldwide!?

Don't think your "cdc-document" will be accepted that much. Especially if it's only written in English. (greetings to our french friends :classic_cool:)