The Daily for Saturday May 15, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon, and thanks for the Daily!

Our thanks go out today for all who have served their country. We pray for all those suffering and cheer for those recovering.

It seems we were inadvertently added to the anniversary celebratory list. We appreciate the thought, and admire those who have seen the years go by so quickly, but we don't belong in that class...yet. The fact that she still has her hair is proof that Lori hasn't put up with me for that long. 😇

Have a great afternoon!

George

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers, it  has  to  be  so  difficult to not  be  able  to  see  your  DS in  person. Hopefully  she  will  continue  to  improve daily  and  the  reports  will  not  be  as  worrisome. The  fact  that  her  speech  improved  as  she  spoke  to  your  brother is  a  good  sign I  would  think.  We  will  continue to  send  prayers  to  all  of  you.

Thank you for your concern for her.  Her condition is so up and down.  Besides diabetes, high blood pressure, and being overweight she has neuropathy in her leg and dropped foot from a surgery many decades ago to remove a tumor on her spine.  Plus about 15 years ago she had lymphoma so is a cancer survivor.  So many issues that contribute to her difficult recovery from her heart valve surgery.

@Quartzsite CruiserI appreciate your thoughts and prayers for DS as well.  So kind of everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Update from Roy!

First Night:

A mostly good night with 1 hitch.  The clip was inserted through a large catheter in the groin.  I took a few steps after dinner and then the spot where it was inserted started bleeding.  The nurse did take out the urine catheter before bedtime, but I just used a urinal from the bed overnight. Better this morning.  I have an echocardiogram this morning and they still hope to get me home today. 

Excellent news, Praise God

Jane

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

If it's not a stroke and not her medication, then I don't know what to think.  Last I heard she was on Tylenol for pain and not something really strong.  Hoping that things get better day by day.

I really hope things get better SOON.  It is puzzling and frustrating for poor you and your family and your DS 😢 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Also chuckled thinking of our dear Jacqui who I realize these guys are a pain in the A….!! and will ruin

her beautiful garden!

They are the bane of my existence, Deeni.  I’m getting frustrated.  Trying to move all my trays of plants inside and out.  Can’t put them on the deck to get the good sun because it’s in the process of being stained.

Can’t put them on the driveway where there is good sun because of the dam deer, so all I can do it put them in the fenced area of the porch which does not get enough sun 😔 

I hope by Monday I can start to use the deck.  I am way far behind now 😔 

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you for your concern for her.  Her condition is so up and down.  Besides diabetes, high blood pressure, and being overweight she has neuropathy in her leg and dropped foot from a surgery many decades ago to remove a tumor on her spine.  Plus about 15 years ago she had lymphoma so is a cancer survivor.  So many issues that contribute to her difficult recovery from her heart valve surgery.

Continuing to pray for your sister's recovery. She has certainly proved herself to be a survivor time after time.

Jane

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

I really hope things get better SOON.  It is puzzling and frustrating for poor you and your family and your DS 😢 

You nailed it!  Puzzling and frustrating.  We don't know what to think  Twin and DB can't even go visit because of Covid rules at the hospital.  Only one person can visit a day even if they can only stay 15 minutes, so we have to leave her visitor list to her children.

• Like 7

Good Morning from the Left Coast Desert with Bright Lights at Night😄

Thanks so much Rich for the Daily @richwmn

Also Thanks to Jacqui @kazu for filling in and giving us the Care List and Especially the Update for Roy @rafinmd I am so glad to hear he most likely will go home today. I had been thinking about him.

Sorry that Saturday seems to be the only day I get a chance to pop in here to write but I do check by once in a while during the week.

I have to say this has been a bit of a Roller Coaster Week for the Cruise Lines, especially with cancellations and continued changed from the CDC. One needs to minute by minute play book to decipher the changes.

Tom and I did have a cruise canceled this week, we were booked on the Nieuw Statendam out of Amsterdam for July 11. This was our 6th canceled cruise since this all began but only the second that had final payment made on it. No, I was not surprised. each day we got closer we were getting more hopeful. My personal feeling is if HAL would have stated everyone must be vaccinated they could have waited a bit longer to see how the EU letting in vaccinated only panned out. Just my opinion CCL Corp is holding the puppet strings and HAL will NOT require vaccinations which will delay restart. I think the CDC's NSO would only be released early if ALL Cruise Lines came together with agreeing to the vaccinations. It was an All or Nothing. Sadly that will not happen at this point so we will just have to see where the cards land.

We do have another HAL cruise for September to Alaska on was to be Eurodam, now it is Nieuw Amsterdam. I have to laugh, all along I have had this gut feeling that will be the cruise that will sail. It could actually happen 😉

Wishing Everyone a Lovely Relaxing Weekend,

Stay healthy and if we have learned anything from being cruisers Wash Your Hands Frequently!!   

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

They are the bane of my existence, Deeni.  I’m getting frustrated.  Trying to move all my trays of plants inside and out.  Can’t put them on the deck to get the good sun because it’s in the process of being stained.

Can’t put them on the driveway where there is good sun because of the dam deer, so all I can do it put them in the fenced area of the porch which does not get enough sun 😔 

I hope by Monday I can start to use the deck.  I am way far behind now 😔 

🌺Oh Jacqui I so understand in a different way!! This is your passion and love! What seems to be a labor of love is your greatest

reward when your backyard is embellished with the fragrances and colors of your creations from seeds!! Mine right now is painting and NOT being able to create something on canvas or my art store does not have my supplies 😠!! Not a good comparison I know LOL! Dentistry used to be my creation in the mouth but a molar is a molar🦷!! LOL

🌴Looking forward to your pictures soon! I will 🙏 those damn deer stay clear of your 🪴 garden!! You and Jose have a great day!

Denise😊

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Misspelled 😳
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

My personal feeling is if HAL would have stated everyone must be vaccinated they could have waited a bit longer to see how the EU letting in vaccinated only panned out. Just my opinion CCL Corp is holding the puppet strings and HAL will NOT require vaccinations which will delay restart.

You are rarely wrong, Lisa but this is one time I hope you are.  HAL can’t sail in Europe unless they require vaccination and frankly, I think many more people would feel more comfortable to cruise if vaccination was required.  But, what do I know?

• Like 15

6 hours ago, cunnorl said:

I am probably the only person on earth that does not care for chocolate chip cookies. Dont know why. 

Nope, you are not alone.  There are 2 of us that do not care for chocolate chip cookies.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

@Horizon chaser 1957 we are doing the Indonesia cruise in December (I affirm).  We currently have ship excursions booked, just in case that turns out to be the only shoreside option.  Ship tours are not our first choice generally!  As things get clearer, I hope you won’t mind if I ask questions about your experience at some of the ports.

Thank you!

I’d be delighted to answer questions as best I can. While not our first choice either, sometimes ships tours are the best choice. I suspect up until next spring there’s enough change and uncertainty to make it a wise move.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

You are rarely wrong, Lisa but this is one time I hope you are.  HAL can’t sail in Europe unless they require vaccination and frankly, I think many more people would feel more comfortable to cruise if vaccination was required.  But, what do I know?

Jacqui, I totally agree with you that most want everyone to be vaccinated and that is going to be the only way to get into Europe. But for now other than the Eurodam Greece sailings (which HAL is failing miserably in selling) I do not see HAL ever stating that Everyone Must Be Vaccinated. They did not have a choice with the Greece Sailings. They will blame poor sales on this as a reason but the real reason is they were the last cruise line out of the gate to offer these sailings and the last to cancel the current summer Med cruises because they wanted to hold on to the money. 

Cruising out of the US will start up in the late summer but other than NCL the rest will not state vaccinations are mandatory unless the CDC comes right out and tells them they have to. The CDC keeps throwing the ball into the cruise lines court giving them every reason they should mandate vaccines for cruising but other than NCL none are willing to make the move. It appears HAL along with CCL are willing to do the test cruises and jumping through more hoops rather than make it go smoothly. Personally I think that both sides are playing chicken. Which is only costing the cruise lines more money than this fight is worth.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Another Roy Update:

I heard from Roy’s pastor and she said he sounded very good.  He’s being discharged this afternoon and he’ll let them know about his needs and next steps.  A church member was going to pick him up but apparently the hospital will provide the transportation.

She (his pastor) will be checking with him for his needs for meals, transportation, etc.  Sounds like he has a fabulous, kind pastor and a great church.

So glad to hear he will have some support ♥️ 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Interesting about HAL not requiring the vaccine. Seabourn which is also under the Carnival umbrella is cruising the Caribbean (from Barbados, I believe) and Greece this summer.  They are saying that all crew will be vaccinated and they are requiring ALL guests to be vaccinated also.  They have stated that they have already received their clearances from the various ports to sail under these terms (but we all know that can change). 

Still too early for us to consider that type of travel - we are not risk takers to that degree but that is what would be necessary for us to get on a cruise ship.  Those policies give us hope.

Unfortunately as long as the virus continues to ravage places that do not yet have significant amounts of vaccine we cannot yet feel comfortable cruising. Just hope things settle down before our future cruise deposits expire. 

Overjoyed to hear about your recovery, Roy.  Prayers with you and everyone who needs them.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Personally I think that both sides are playing chicken. Which is only costing the cruise lines more money than this fight is worth.

I completely agree with you, Lisa 👍 

• Like 5

Good afternoon.

Good days, especially to those who've served their country. Nice meal and drinks.

I haven't been to today's port.

Well, I spent the morning in the Emergency Room. Last night and this morning I felt awful. No fever, but weak, dehydrated, shaky. I still thought maybe my potassium was low. I started at my health network's walk-in clinic, but no labs done on Saturday. My BP was really high. So off the the ER. I got fluids, labs (but no potassium level on it!!! 😡), EKG, etc. Then my D-Dimer was sky high, so got a chest CT to rule out a lung blood clot. Fortunately that was negative. So I'm home, with no diagnosis. I'm trying to get in with my PCP on Monday. Until then, just resting, trying to drink fluids and eat with no appetite. On a positive note, Covid test was negative as was the CT (so no explanation for the new eye issues).

@rafinmd Glad you're doing well post-op. Take it easy! And I'm glad your church is stepping up to help!

@Cruzin Terri That's awful! Thieves stink!

@StLouisCruisers So sorry to hear your DSis is still struggling. Prayers for her and your DB.

@Cruising-along Welcome home! It sounds like it was a great trip.

Prayers to all on the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Time to rest a bit. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Well, I spent the morning in the Emergency Room. Last night and this morning I felt awful. No fever, but weak, dehydrated, shaky. I still thought maybe my potassium was low. I started at my health network's walk-in clinic, but no labs done on Saturday. My BP was really high. So off the the ER. I got fluids, labs (but no potassium level on it!!! 😡), EKG, etc. Then my D-Dimer was sky high, so got a chest CT to rule out a lung blood clot. Fortunately that was negative. So I'm home, with no diagnosis

Oh no!!! This is going from bad to worse 😢. Our prayers are with you.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Another Roy Update:

I heard from Roy’s pastor and she said he sounded very good.  He’s being discharged this afternoon and he’ll let them know about his needs and next steps.  A church member was going to pick him up but apparently the hospital will provide the transportation.

She (his pastor) will be checking with him for his needs for meals, transportation, etc.  Sounds like he has a fabulous, kind pastor and a great church.

So glad to hear he will have some support ♥️ 

Excellent news!  I hope he has a super fast recovery!

• Like 7

A bit of good news -- no additional work on the water main yesterday or today. Is it fixed? I'm not willing to say for certain, but I'm enjoying having clear water again!

Today was DH's third radiation treatment. All seems to be going well, so I'm hopeful he'll be able to move to rehab later next week. After four weeks in the hospital, he just wants OUT!

Thanks to everyone for all your prayers. It's working!

Edi

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Well, I spent the morning in the Emergency Room. Last night and this morning I felt awful. No fever, but weak, dehydrated, shaky. I still thought maybe my potassium was low. I started at my health network's walk-in clinic, but no labs done on Saturday. My BP was really high. So off the the ER. I got fluids, labs (but no potassium level on it!!! 😡), EKG, etc. Then my D-Dimer was sky high, so got a chest CT to rule out a lung blood clot. Fortunately that was negative. So I'm home, with no diagnosis. I'm trying to get in with my PCP on Monday. Until then, just resting, trying to drink fluids and eat with no appetite. On a positive note, Covid test was negative as was the CT (so no explanation for the new eye issues).

Oh no, I’m so sorry this is happening. I hope the weekend goes well, and that this gets resolved ASAP!

• Like 7