The Daily for Monday May 17, 2021

richwmn

14 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Do you mean from the Fairgrounds, or again, from Main Street?

I think the one we saw was the old one on Main Street, but I'd have to dig through the old photo albums to be sure.  The pictures of the new brewery did not look familiar.  To confuse things more, our first time there was in 1992, so I could possibly have meant both. It's hard to remember when you've been to a place several times over almost 30 years.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I think the one we saw was the old one on Main Street, but I'd have to dig through the old photo albums to be sure.  The pictures of the new brewery did not look familiar.  To confuse things more, our first time there was in 1992, so I could possibly have meant bother. It's hard to remember when you've been to a place several times over almost 30 years.

Lenda

This is when they were located on the Fairgrounds, a bit outside of Haines. You had to get there by car/van and they were there for sixteen years before moving to Main Street and "getting bigger"

Haines_Brewing_Co..jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is when they were located on the Fairgrounds, a bit outside of Haines. You had to get there by car/van and they were there for sixteen years before moving to Main Street and "getting bigger"

Haines_Brewing_Co..jpg

That was the one I meant.  We have always been there in our motorhome and have driven around town.  Sorry for any confusion.

Lenda

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

That was the one I meant.  We have always been there in our motorhome and have driven around town.  Sorry for any confusion.

Lenda

No probs! 😉 Take care and be safe!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Thank you for posting these. I have a booking on the Matanuska for this summer from Bellingham to Ketchikan, then a few days later on the Kennicott from Ketchikan to Juneau. On the Matanuska I have an outside cabin; on the Kennicott it's an inside. An inside with four bunks even though I'll be alone -- the only two-bunk cabins are just bunk rooms, with no "facilities."

I would be happy with slow-cooker pot roast tonight, except that it's a tradition to eat dairy foods on Shavuot. I'm lactose-intolerant but aged cheddar has little enough lactose that I can eat some. Last night I had a cheese omelet, plus asparagus from the garden.

Glad I could give you an idea of the cabins and the lounge on the Matanuska.  We were lucky to get the cabin on her at almost the last minute. The "facilities" are a must for us too.  The only reason we did not go all the way to Bellingham was we could not get a cabin even though they had room for the rv.  We're at the stage, we want a cabin.

Enjoy your trip.

Lenda

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since we're talking Haines, AK, it's got a nice brewery (the Haines Brewing Co,) with tasty beer, for you beer drinkers. They used to be located on the SE Alaska Fairgrounds but have expanded to a new property smack "downtown" in Haines on Main Street so I'm thinking, business must be hopping 🙂 

Haines_Brewing_Co..jpg

old

Brewers Guild of Alaska | Just Beer

new

No Flights Zone: Haines Brewing Is Taking a Stand

10 of Alaska's Best Craft Breweries and Distilleries - Paste

Videos - Haines Brewing Company

John, I was going to post my pictures from the Haines Brewing Company! We went there in 2019, and their beer was very good.  I love to check out local breweries when we travel!

Laura

• Like 9

Now that I'm home, I'll post some pictures of the Haines Library (the Hammer Museum and Haines Brewing Company have already been covered).  The library is very near the Brewing Company, and has beautiful windows on the scenery.  I would love to sit there and read all day!

0155.JPG

0156.JPG

0156a.JPG

• Like 18

I'll start with a little odyssey about me.  I have spent at least one night in the outdoors in every state, province, and Canadian Territory.  I was late to travel, never venturing more than about 200 miles from the lower 48  until 1991 at the age of 48.

My first venture was an Alaska trip put together by a company my travel agent suggested that I was able to tailor a bit to my desires.  The outline

Fly to Seattle and Ketchikan

MV Matanuska Ketchikan to Skagway (first ever overnight at sea)

Rental Car to Fairbanks, Denali, and Anchorage

Fly home from Anchorage.

I added 2 extra nights to my tour.  The first was a stop at Kathleen Lake in Kluane where I set up a very simple tent.  The other was a pre-pitched tent at Denali Grizzley campground in Denali.

Since then I have overnighted on several other ferries (Tustamena, Columbia, and Kennicott as well as a short daytime segment on Matanuska from Petersburg to Haines.

Roy

Roy

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'll start with a little odyssey about me.  I have spent at least one night in the outdoors in every state, province, and Canadian Territory.  I was late to travel, never venturing more than about 200 miles from the lower 48  until 1991 at the age of 48.

My first venture was an Alaska trip put together by a company my travel agent suggested that I was able to tailor a bit to my desires.  The outline

Fly home from Anchorage.

I added 2 extra nights to my tour.  The first was a stop at Kathleen Lake in Kluane where I set up a very simple tent.  The other was a pre-pitched tent at Denali Grizzley campground in Denali.

Since then I have overnighted on several other ferries (Tustamena, Columbia, and Kennicott as well as a short daytime segment on Matanuska from Petersburg to Haines.

Roy

Roy

Sounds like you had a good start to your travels.

We took Tustamena  from Homer to Kodiak with our DDs and dog in 1992.    We stayed one night in Kodiak then took the “Trusty Tusty” to Seward.  With the dog, we had to take the motorhome, which cost more than twice as much as the trip and a cabin for four with a bath on both legs.  That same 1992 trip, we took the Columbia from Haines to Skagway.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Glad I could give you an idea of the cabins and the lounge on the Matanuska.  We were lucky to get the cabin on her at almost the last minute. The "facilities" are a must for us too.  The only reason we did not go all the way to Bellingham was we could not get a cabin even though they had room for the rv.  We're at the stage, we want a cabin.

I could accept a shared bathroom for one night if the location were convenient, but I can't see myself wandering about a ship in the middle of the night, which would be likely. I booked on the first day that bookings were open; it will be more necessary to book early this year even without a cabin, because the
AMHS is limiting the number of passengers.

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Fly home from Anchorage.

My itinerary:

Fly to Seattle; overnight stay

Amtrak bus (!!!) to Bellingham

MV Mantanuska to Ketchikan, 2 nights

3 nights in Ketchikan; Misty Fjords air tour; photo safari

MV Kennicott to Juneau, overnight

3 nights in Juneau; whale-watching tour; Tracy Arm tour; Mendenhall Glacier float trip

Fly to Sitka

3 nights in Sitka; whale and otter tour

Fly to Seattle; overnight stay because even the earliest flight from Sitka doesn't arrive early enough for the only daytime connection home, and I am beyond the stage of taking redeye flights if there is any alternative

Fly home

• Like 11

My ferry trips were 1991, 2006, 2010. and 2016.  I don't remember the cabin statistics on the first 3 but I got lucky on my 2016 Kennicott trip.  I was closer to the bathroom on that trip than I am in my own house.  The longest walk on that ship would be about 120 feet.

Roy

• Like 7

Update re Kakalena

She has to have another pulmonary function test on May 24th after which she is hopeful that she will be given a date for surgery. The surgeon has said it may be possible to remove all of the cancer in a segmented lung surgery rather than having to remove an entire lobe. She is anxious to get this done and over with but the medical profession seems to be in no hurry.

Jane

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

7 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Update re Kakalena

She has to have another pulmonary function test on May 24th after which she is hopeful that she will be given a date for surgery. The surgeon has said it may be possible to remove all of the cancer in a segmented lung surgery rather than having to remove an entire lobe. She is anxious to get this done and over with but the medical profession seems to be in no hurry.

Jane

Oh I hope so.  We are praying for her 🙏🏻 

• Like 7

Brief update on DH's total knee replacement -- surgery went fine, came home the next day.  Slow progress but that's to be expected....today we noticed his thigh was quite swollen, a large bruise on the outside of his thigh & a firm area.  Headed to Urgent Care at our orthopod's office -- exam didn't reveal anything of note but to be on the safe side, he went for an ultrasound of the area.  No results yet....on a positive note, he's already on Warfarin (preventative with a history of A-fib) & Lovenox till his INR till his PT is where it belongs.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Update re Kakalena

Jane

Had been wondering how she was doing..... hope he can do the segmented surgery. I know she wants this over with. My best wishes to her.

Susan

• Like 8

😴Good afternoon after a nice long nap....bandages removed to reveal a lovely (not!) scar from my shoulder to elbow with new x-rays for the morning follow up with my orthopedic surgeon.😉 Recommendations slow motion exercises with PT starting tomorrow.  Let the healing begin...appropriately 3 months, yikes! 😮

👍Will continue to wear a 😷mask in public places and keep telling all who will hear "watch where you are going"🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️

Katie

• Like 15

@rafinmd Roy, I just checked and we camped at Congdon Creek Campground on Kulame Lake north of the bridge a couple of times.  It is a provincial park.  We’ve stopped at Million Dollar Falls, south of Kathleen Lake a couple of times, but never camped there.  The entire area is beautiful.

Lenda

• Like 6

Thanks for the daily reports

We have been to Skagway twice, thanks for the photos, they  bring back lots of memories.

@Vict0riannyes that was Queenstown with 4 C, also that temp here this morning, it's now up to a "tropical" 8 degrees C. Very windy.  Have not had any snow here in the city, but fresh snow inland and further south, ........the ski fields getting covered.  The highway to Milford Sound is closed. 

@kazu your deck is looking very smart.

Take care everyone.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, garlictown said:

😴Good afternoon after a nice long nap....bandages removed to reveal a lovely (not!) scar from my shoulder to elbow with new x-rays for the morning follow up with my orthopedic surgeon.😉 Recommendations slow motion exercises with PT starting tomorrow.  Let the healing begin...appropriately 3 months, yikes! 😮

👍Will continue to wear a 😷mask in public places and keep telling all who will hear "watch where you are going"🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️

Katie

Sounds promising Katie if you can start PT.  Hope your orthopaedic surgeon is happy with the new X-Rays.  

PT is no fun but believe me it is well worth it.  Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 5:40 PM, rafinmd said:

My ferry trips were 1991, 2006, 2010. and 2016.  I don't remember the cabin statistics on the first 3 but I got lucky on my 2016 Kennicott trip.  I was closer to the bathroom on that trip than I am in my own house.  The longest walk on that ship would be about 120 feet.

Roy

My only experience on the ferries was in 2011 on my bus trip to Alaska.  We did a hop from Whittier to Valdez and then later from Skagway to Prince Rupert (an overnighter). I have forgotten the names of the ferries.  I think the overnight was the Matanuska, but can't swear to it.  I thought it was fun, even though we had a room with two bunks and I had to sleep on top. We did have our own bathroom (smaller than on a HAL ship.)  Some of my fellow travelers were bummed as their previous experience was all on cruise ships and they seemed to feel this was a comedown. But they didn't like some of the Alaska and Yukon hotels either (I think Beaver Creek was a truck stop).  

St Louis Sal

• Like 1