The Daily for Monday May 17, 2021

richwmn

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

That shocks me!  I was not allowed to drive for three weeks after surgery. Did they lapriscopic on you?

They did the surgery through a catheter inserted in my groin, guided by an ultrasound source in my esophagus.  They did not cut into my chest at all.

Roy

• Like 9

Good morning. Thanks for the daily.

An interesting collection of days. I'm probably a bit of a pack rat, but I keep going through stuff to donate or toss or put on eBay. Happy Shavuot to all who celebrate.

I have wallpaper in my first floor, as I live in a 115 year old late Victorian house, and it fits. None in the bedroom, although I did stencil a design near the top of the wall.

I like the meal and drinks.

Unfortunately on my only Alaskan cruise in 2009 we couldn't dock at Haines due to high winds. The captain tried for a while, then docking was cancelled. Haven't been to Skagway either.

I got a good night's sleep, finally. I feel pretty good, but my arms and legs feel heavy at times. I see the PCP tomorrow. I may try some yard work this afternoon; I'll quit if it's too much.

@kazu The deck looks great.

@rafinmd Wishing you continued improvement in your health.

@StLouisCruisers Hoping for good news for your DS.

@Cruzin Terri On a National Parks road trip a few years ago, I was notified of a $25k charge on my Capital One card that had a high limit! Someone made an art gallery charge. Capital One closed the account. They said they'd overnight a new card but didn't. Luckily I had a 2nd credit card to use on my trip. It took a while to straighten out and I to this day don't use that card much. I've been in a couple of the breaches, but I think this came from a Home Depot one.

Prayer for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe everyone. I'm still wearing my mask in stores, even the ones who say you don't have to.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Wallpaper....we still have the bedroom wallpaper we put up in 1989 when we bought our house at the height of the Laura Ashley craze.  It was some fancy hand screened job and it still looks perfect.  Don't judge me!  🤣

The drink of the day sounds very yummy.  Not a pack rat, even if I do have eccentric wallpaper.

@kazu , your deck looks beautiful.  It will be amazing when the plants are in place.

Very happy to see improvements in the health of some here -- and prayers for the same progress for others.  

Thank you to all who contribute to the Daily.  Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Monday!  😊  

• Like 18

Good morning or Good afternoon, depending on where everyone is, and thank you to all who post.  Prayers for improvements in health for those who need them, and cheers to those celebrating.  We are anticipating cheers later this when when our youngest DD (the ATC in Gander) should get her first jab.  She has been isolating and working in a bubble for over a year, so she can't wait for that light at the end of the tunnel.

Canada is supposed to get a large shipment of vaccine this week, and, although I think we will soon be vaccinating all the way down to 12-year olds, we are still hoping our second shots will come a little earlier than we first thought.  

• Like 22

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I know.  I’ve been reluctant to remove people with ongoing issue until we hear that everything is a.o.k. And I can then happily move them to the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Hi Jacqui!  You can remove my DGD, she is back at school today and feeling better. I really appreciate everyone keeping her in their prayers and thoughts. 

• Like 17

Good morning and thanks all!  Not sure I should celebrate pack rat day!  @AncientWanderermy bedroom. Wallpaper is anaglypta and has been painted over many times, lol!  Absolutely ancient! 

We visited Haines on our very first cruise ever!  There was bear scat on the sidewalk!  

Very happy belated anniversaries to @summer slope and @GeorgeCharlie!   What milestones! 

Followed your weekend and am wishing continued good progress to @rafinmdand @JazzyV!  

We only have weak wifi at our summer RV but we did have some lovely visitors,  now we’ve  left them in peace! 

4864B3A8-AF0D-40BD-A61B-8C33A3EEEE93.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 22

Good morning, all! Our taxes were done, in, and payed long ago. I think I have a printed write up on Pack Rat Day somewhere under all this stuff. I’ll look for it later.

We’ve been to Skagway and enjoyed the day. We did a town tour and the White Pass Train. The pictures are on a hard drive somewhere, but are similar to what’s been posted anyway.

It looks like we have one more nice day before it rains. Today’s plan is to put on boots and gloves and remove the broom while it’s in bloom.  That’s the point when the roots are at their weakest and least likely to recover. It’s so pretty that it’s tempting to try a botanical print with it, except that smoke or steam from it is highly toxic, so that’s a no. I’m off for battle. Wish me luck!

But of course, I’d rather be on one of these on a BHB. Happy Monday!

A7B952FE-EA45-45E1-A017-2ADC6BC10398.thumb.jpeg.35e1046cd8e401e52ef5a32ebdb7b167.jpeg

• Like 24

11 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Hi Jacqui!  You can remove my DGD, she is back at school today and feeling better. I really appreciate everyone keeping her in their prayers and thoughts. 

Excellent news 🙂 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Today’s plan is to put on boots and gloves and remove the broom while it’s in bloom.  That’s the point when the roots are at their weakest and least likely to recover. It’s so pretty that it’s tempting to try a botanical print with it, except that smoke or steam from it is highly toxic, so that’s a no. I’m off for battle. Wish me luck!

Good luck.  🤞 for you.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and the Days. 

Thank you for the lists Jacqui. I think of everyone on the list several times a day and pray for healing and blessings. 

Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I even have a roast I put in the fridge to thaw, however I’m not a huge pot roast fan, so I’m making drip beef sandwiches. The leftovers are better than the firsts too, and I’ll freeze the rest.   We are going to the mountains in a few weeks and they will make a nice sandwich lunch with potato chips. 

I haven’t been to Haines or Skagway. I think DH might have on his Alaska cruise tour with his DF back in 2000. The pictures are beautiful!  Thanks to everyone who shared. 

Well I need to get some things done around the house. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Highland Chaser 1957’s DH dental work & her BIL in ICU

Jacqui, if this is me, we can come off the list. DH is through the worst and won’t see the dentist again for a while. BIL has stabilized, but is in ICU for the long term, possibly months.

I do appreciate being on the care list while things were in crisis mode! Thanks!

• Like 16

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Though all released vintages of this Cab have great ratings, I picked the oldest one with many online distributors & decent prices. The lowest price I found was $37.99, but I suspect you could find it cheaper locally. 

Winemaker Notes

The 2016 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon opens with aromas of blackberry crisp and flavors of cherry, clove and a hint of dark chocolate. Full-bodied and smooth with a lingering finish.

TP94  Wine.com Tasting Panel: Three of Silverado’s estate vineyards bore the fruit for this sleek red, blended with 13% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, and 3% Cab Franc: Silverado Vineyard in the Stags Leap District, Mt. George Vineyard in Coombsville, and Oakville Station, a historic site on the western edge of the Oakville bench that’s under the purview of UC Davis. Aged 16.5 months in French, Hungarian, and American oak, it displays serious tannins that build to eventually express reined-in power. Flavors of jammy blackberry are lengthened by graphite and bittersweet dark chocolate; vibrant and textural underbrush enters on the finish.

JS93 James Suckling: Attractive cassis here with a wealth of plush and nicely ripe blackberry and red-plum aromas and flavors. The palate has fine, firm tannins that carry long and fresh. Drink or hold. 
WE92 Wine Enthusiast: Soft in texture and accented in smoky, toasted oak, this estate wine blends in 13% Merlot and 3% each of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. It offers lush layers of tangy black fruit, clove, sage and a touch of warmth.

It has been hard to go wrong with Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignons the last few years.  Of the vintages that have been released, only 2011 and 2017 have been described as "Difficult."  All the others since 2010 have been very good or great. (The jury is out on the 2020 vintage, but the opinion is that the terrible fires that hit the Napa area at a very critical time will have a devastating effect--in both quantitiy and quality.)  Most will agree that the year that you picked for your report, 2016, was a truly great vintage.  The other recent year that has produced equal wines is 2013.  (I have been stashing away various Cabs from both the 2013 and the 2016 vintages.)  However, there are many who feel that the Napa Valley wines that have the best aging potential are the ones from those "Difficult" years.  I am starting to see extremely positive reports of 2011 Napa Valley Cabs.  So, this may very well speak to the aging potential of the 2017s that might still be available.  

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Jacqui, if this is me, we can come off the list. DH is through the worst and won’t see the dentist again for a while. BIL has stabilized, but is in ICU for the long term, possibly months.

I do appreciate being on the care list while things were in crisis mode! Thanks!

Yikes, Dam autocorrect 😡 

It is you despite the dam autocorrect error.  Glad to here things have improved. 👍 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Wallpaper....we still have the bedroom wallpaper we put up in 1989 when we bought our house at the height of the Laura Ashley craze.  It was some fancy hand screened job and it still looks perfect.  Don't judge me!  🤣

No judging here.  In one bedroom I still have the wallpaper Dad put up for me when I bought the house in 1987.   If it works for you, leave it up!  It sure beats taking it down and doing all that scraping.  Besides, how many people see your bedroom?

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

My own situation with FedEx may slowly be resolving.  Despite receiving a bill in the mail (we removed our credit card from the account), last night our account showed that they zeroed out any charges.  

I will have another chat with the fraud department today.

That is good news.   I am sure my problems are over on this episode.   At least until the next time.   

• Like 7

To all of you who are trying to rid yourselves of "stuff", if you have children, they will thank you.  After my dad died we had 40 years of accumulated "stuff" to go through.  Most went out on the curb.   We tried selling a few pieces, but didn't have any takers, so more went out on the curb.   I made a daily donation of books to the library, filling up the donation bin each time.   I took as much as I could fit in the car.  Salvation Army made out like a bandit.  We also donated quite a bit to a store where the proceeds went to support a shelter for battered women.  It took a couple of weeks of solid work to empty that house so we could tear out carpet and get it ready to sell.  

When I came home, I immediately started to go through closets and drawers and cupboards and get rid of stuff I hadn't worn or looked at in a couple of years.  I made quite a dent in things and found out I had room to put away the stuff I did want to keep.   I make a point in the winter to go through things again and generally get a few bags of trash out of it and a bunch of clothes for donation.

• Like 22

@JazzyV  Thank you for posting pictures of the Hammer Museum.  Somehow in our visits to Haines, we missed it.

I finally had a few minutes to go through my pictures of Haines.  The only digital ones were from our stay in 2011 while we waited for the ferry to take us to Prince Rupert in BC.  The first couple of days we were there, it was cool and rainy.  As per our usual luck, the day we left, the sun came out.  Most of the pictures with the sun were taken from the ferry dock or from the ferry.

Driving to Haines from Haines Junction, the road follows the Chillkat River and goes through the Bald Eagle Preserve.  You also pass the road to Porcupine Creek and the original claims featured in the early seasons of Gold Rush.  Since we were in our motorhome, we did not venture down that road.  Maybe someday.  As of 2010, the town or Haines between 1700 and 1800 population, and it is not geared to tourists like Skagway.

These are just scenes of town.

P1030644.thumb.JPG.f5be58f69d0fd7a9e5e01dcebbc21b5a.JPGP1030645.thumb.JPG.ad7baf61ab72aa5e7205941ba2815bab.JPG

P1030647.thumb.JPG.fe93bbed8cef1aca6365b638ba2f99e4.JPG

What a difference the sun makes!

P1030651.thumb.JPG.f9c2139e44cfd1dd9c3dcbc02e1ac406.JPGP1030653.thumb.JPG.bca67e6df470e3c6a4572358565a9d79.JPG

P1030654.thumb.JPG.28b4522343773ada30ad92febbc67ba4.JPG

P1030658.thumb.JPG.85005e52bfed92a0085977d3ac1d7301.JPG

P1030659.thumb.JPG.1de8e41af917c65b69883241d87294dc.JPG

I thought I'd add some pictures of the Matanuska, which is nice, but no BHB.  We managed to get a cabin that had three bunks.  The cabin also had two windows that overlooked the crew deck.  Had to be careful when the curtains were open.  You are not allowed to stay in your rv or car, but can go down to the car deck when the ferry is in port.  Most people either sleep in the lounge, or in sleeping bags on deck.  There is a covered area on the top deck that is heated.  There is a buffet/snack bar that is ala carte and decent enough. 

P1030660.thumb.JPG.db8fca0a29e4a080ad27aa0fd116a77e.JPG

P1030668.thumb.JPG.4d001ea5d61298beb546c3e67e2136de.JPG

P1030694.thumb.JPG.bacbbb7a7f0d7bfe602d2d8f57b54456.JPG

I'll see what pictures I have of Skagway.

Lenda

• Like 24

18 minutes ago, dfish said:

No judging here.  In one bedroom I still have the wallpaper Dad put up for me when I bought the house in 1987.   If it works for you, leave it up!  It sure beats taking it down and doing all that scraping.  Besides, how many people see your bedroom?

I am laughing at how personal a question this is, when taken out of context. 😱

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@JazzyV  Thank you for posting pictures of the Hammer Museum.  Somehow in our visits to Haines, we missed it.

Lenda

It wasn't me. I didn't make it to Haines as we couldn't dock.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

To all of you who are trying to rid yourselves of "stuff", if you have children, they will thank you.  After my dad died we had 40 years of accumulated "stuff" to go through.  Most went out on the curb.   We tried selling a few pieces, but didn't have any takers, so more went out on the curb.   I made a daily donation of books to the library, filling up the donation bin each time.   I took as much as I could fit in the car.  Salvation Army made out like a bandit.  We also donated quite a bit to a store where the proceeds went to support a shelter for battered women.  It took a couple of weeks of solid work to empty that house so we could tear out carpet and get it ready to sell.  

When I came home, I immediately started to go through closets and drawers and cupboards and get rid of stuff I hadn't worn or looked at in a couple of years.  I made quite a dent in things and found out I had room to put away the stuff I did want to keep.   I make a point in the winter to go through things again and generally get a few bags of trash out of it and a bunch of clothes for donation.

After a friend's mother died a few years ago, she posted many times on our high school class' Facebook  page what a chore it was going through her mother's, which was the house she grew up in.  That is when I started weeding out stuff every time we were home for a fair amount of time and I ran out of things to do.  I have made a dent in the attic, but more needs to be done.  I'll have to do it before it gets too hot, or the attic will be uncomfortable.

Lenda

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

After a friend's mother died a few years ago, she posted many times on our high school class' Facebook  page what a chore it was going through her mother's, which was the house she grew up in.  That is when I started weeding out stuff every time we were home for a fair amount of time and I ran out of things to do.  I have made a dent in the attic, but more needs to be done.  I'll have to do it before it gets too hot, or the attic will be uncomfortable.

Lenda

And involve your DDs - at least for their items!

• Like 7