The Daily for Monday May 17, 2021

richwmn

Today is Revised Tax Day (USA), Pack Rat Day, World Telecommunication and Information Society Day, and Shavuot

Good day for a change of scene. Repaper the bedroom wall.

Meal suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Tropical Itch

Wine of the day - Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon - California - Red

Port of the Day - Haines (Skagway) Alaska US

At Sea Celtic Sea
Eurodam Destination Augusta IT eta 5/22

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego eta 5/19
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifing off San Diego
Noordam Drifting off Tijuana MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0517Europe.thumb.png.01f6e5ac87102c4c4bbe2116120d566f.png

0517USA.thumb.png.0c523643f05117051d03ff99221f947e.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the Monday Daily Report.

Another beautiful spring day here - sunny and a high of 21C.

I have to admit to being a bit of a pack rat, but I have several boxes of stuff to donate as soon as things open up around here.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion.

The wine sounds good, not sure about that drink.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning, everyone.   It is going to be a wonderful day here.  Sunshine and 70s.   Can't ask for more.

Looking forward to the pool today.   I skipped Friday to do outdoor work, so it will be good to get back.

Taxes are done and I have no intention of being a Pack Rat.   The drink sounds good, but I won't be repapering the bedroom wall.  I worked too long and hard to get that paper down!

Today's meal sounds like an easy one with fabulous results.   

https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/12/slow-cooker-pot-roast/

Slow-Cooker-Pot-RoastIMG_9236.jpg

Slow-Cooker-Pot-RoastIMG_9276.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'm trying to undo being a pack rat.  Wishing those who celebrate Shavuot the best.  Telecommunications are especially important in these times.  My taxes are long done.  The quote is especially relevant in these times but hoping that  will change.  Haines and Skagway are separate ports and I've been to both on BHB's but I have a feeling Haines may have been dropped.  The meal sounds great.  My alternative is Chilled Guanabana Soup, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Peach Crisp, supplemented by a Lido Barbecue as served on MS Veendam May 17, 2016:

bbq2.jpg

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Hello and thanks for the daily report Rich.  I try hard not to be a pack rat.  Taxes paid last week.  Dinner sounds very nice.  Since I’ll be at work I don’t think that I’ll have time to repaper the bedroom today.  I haven’t been to Haines but we really enjoyed Skagway.  Prayers to all those in need. Enjoy your Monday!

• Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What an interesting collection of days!  DH is a bit of a pack rat.  I’m working on him 😉 

Happy Shavuot to all who celebrate!

CE86A0B7-E698-45B0-B1A0-472B8C348B11.thumb.png.47bd8a5807e2f75a0bccbe971b2887bb.png

Not following that quote’s recommendation, sorry.  Hopefully it will be too hot for pot roast today & I have left over chicken I have to do something with!

Another quick post to get the lists up as I have to run out for more stain and paint before the guys arrive.  Picked up the dogs yesterday as the floor of the deck is now safe.  My deck has never been so bare but, never fear in a day or two, it will be loaded with planters.  I might be behind but not that far, I hope.

Our newly stained deck:  Retaining wall and front flower beds are next and we will be done (I hope).

8821E1EF-A35C-4349-8E8F-FDD65DB673A9.thumb.jpeg.4c1f20ceb893f6ae4602901ad022b665.jpeg

62B9BE16-1B4F-4EAC-9682-CA782B60145D.thumb.jpeg.1fa32d4ffb9e3ac015ac057a4d43996d.jpeg

5656352C-AFE3-43A1-8C95-369F1E40E275.thumb.jpeg.b937215ea7ce4f0bde8002818e91b310.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

Roy’s (rafinmd) continuing recovery from his cardiac surgery

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

JazzyV eye & health issues

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

NextOne’s DH  undergoing radiation & hopes for rehab next week

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s knee surgery recovery and she as caregiver

Hoping St. Louis Sal’s drug trial is a success

Hoping VMax1700’s DW’s new medication from oncologist works

Highland Chaser 1957’s DH dental work & her BIL in ICU

Cruizin Terri’s struggle with fraudulent Fed Ex charges

dfish’s fight on fraudulent credit card charges

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome home Roy’s (rafinmd) after your successful cardiac surgery

Sharon in AZ’s DGD recovering from concussion

Crazy For Cats recovery from reaction to 2nd jab

JazzyV’s ultrasound

Quartzite Cruiser’s reunion with DD & DSIL

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and, 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!!!!

C3145E48-942F-483C-BAB0-C8C615F3F632.jpeg.d62f89b4db8eafdb8fd636f9d2f4479c.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!  Thank you Rich for the Daily and all others who contribute.  Best wishes to all on the care list and congrats to those on the celebratory list.

We were in Haines July 21, 2019, aboard the Maasdam (21 Night Alaska Explorer - round trip San Francisco).  This was our first time in Haines itself, having stopped in Skagway on every previous Alaskan cruise.

Video taken from our balcony

DSCF3973.thumb.jpg.7e89d4b0c731dd66eaae3865bcfd42c3.jpg

DSCF3974.thumb.jpg.42697ba4d7915fa449894cdf14567ab8.jpg

This guy/gal was supervising all the tourists making their way into town

DSC00847.thumb.jpg.b67763100f7b9bbe858a8bbe2bf1b112.jpg

Interesting, but we didn't go in

DSCF3975.thumb.jpg.219ec8303d41356162f09b834010274e.jpg

DSC00851.thumb.jpg.86aded14eef479533b7bda01517e90eb.jpg

Stopped here for a local brew, but forgot to take a picture!

DSCF3978.thumb.jpg.0dd6ccc69bba6abf4b4503cc037f7c81.jpg

DSCF3976.thumb.jpg.d1f79d09d4cbb96ffb7962465fece201.jpg

DSCF3977.thumb.jpg.1f8ad3122b9a15c83914b9de3f991335.jpg

Where we stopped on our way back to the ship for lunch

DSCF3979.thumb.jpg.c57f8ec26bb4ebc06cf67f9d40346072.jpg

DSCF3982.thumb.jpg.37e4323eed320a4816b80ea6999af862.jpg

DSCF3980.thumb.jpg.9af0e597c85cd7087a8e4f058e973310.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thank you Roy, Rich, and Jacqui for our wonderful thread. 

No wallpaper here to change.  Lots in my early days.

The meal is wonderful, have made it often.  Thank you Debbie for the recipe and photo.

Major prayers for our care list..it is so long.

Toasts for our celebrations.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Tropical Itch:

Duke’s WaikikiWaikīkī, Hawai‘iCreated by Tiki pioneer Harry Yee in 1957 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort in Waikīkī, the drink’s titular “itch” is scratched with an excess of booze and a towering souvenir bamboo backscratcher.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon (1/2 oz.) vodka
1 tablespoon (1/2 oz.) orange curaçao
Dash of Angostura bitters
1/8 teaspoon orgeat syrup
1/2 cup passionfruit juice
2 tablespoons (1 oz.) dark rum
Pineapple wedge
Lime wedge

Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1 Fill a tall glass with ice, and add vodka, curaçao, bitters, syrup, and juice; stir well. Float dark rum on top, and garnish with a pineapple wedge, lime wedge, paper parasol, and itch stick (back scratcher).

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 7.43.47 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

My DD and I were also in Haines in July 2019 on board Noordam for 7 days.  Loved the area and taking in the history of Fort Seward.  Hopefully HAL will continue to make calls there from time to time.  It's a lovely little town.

Edited by 0bnxshs
Corrected Nieuw Amsterdam to Noordam
  • Like 19

Goid morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily. Good morning Roy, Jacqui, and my sweet sisters. Anyone hear how Dani (facing bomb strikes) is doing?

I feel for y'all who are going thru credit card fraud. My sweet husband went through stolen identity a few years back. Found out it was part of the Experien hack. Very scary. Took a long time to fix. Our neighbor had the same exact experience, same detective on our case's. 

Going off for routine bloodwork. Will check in later.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good but will need to wait for another day.  Yesterday I pulled out the remaining window fans from the attic.  Windows on the second floor will remain open with them in place.  The fans prevent the kids from getting too curious and falling out.  I also turned off the heat but don’t tell DH as he doesn’t like that idea.  This morning I sent my PCC an email inquiring about a waiting list should Alaska open up for cruising.  I’ll be curious what her response will be.  We would be looking at August but would consider anything to get onboard.

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. Happy Shavuot to all who celebrate the giving of the Torah to Moses on Mount Sinai.

Not a lot of time this morning since I’m getting ready for the handyman to arrive with a new toilet for the second bathroom.

Yesterday, one of my 15 year old grandsons got his first shot. The other same age grandson is scheduled for this week.

Stay safe everyone. Our NJ governor is not dropping the mask mandate yet.

Carol

• Like 21

20 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The meal is wonderful, have made it often.  Thank you Debbie for the recipe and photo.

Tropical Itch:

Duke’s WaikikiWaikīkī, Hawai‘iCreated by Tiki pioneer Harry Yee in 1957 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort in Waikīkī, the drink’s titular “itch” is scratched with an excess of booze and a towering souvenir bamboo backscratcher.

Ingredients
Pineapple wedge
Lime wedge

Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1 Fill a tall glass with ice, and add vodka, curaçao, bitters, syrup, and juice; stir well. Float dark rum on top, and garnish with a pineapple wedge, lime wedge, paper parasol, and itch stick (back scratcher).

We have two of those back scratchers from our 25th anniversary trip to Hawaii 26 years ago. Now I know what drink they came from!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Good morning all! 

The temps are warm here (67 degrees already early this morning) but a 90% chance of rain this afternoon so it’s rather gloomy.

I spent hours at our first house peeling off (really ugly) wallpaper, so no thanks to wallpapering the bedroom. When we were remodeling our Branson home we found a small patch of ugly leftover wallpaper behind the toilet. Good riddance.

I have docked at both Haines and Skagway many times, including doing the fast ferry between. On our bus trip we drove to Haines. My favorite though was when we flew to Juneau and Allen Marine ferried us to Skagway (really an extended whale watching cruise). We spent the night at the Westmark Inn. It was my first chance to see what Skagway was like without all the cruise ship passengers. Quiet, very, very quiet. The next morning we took the White Pass train, got off and continued our Yukon adventure to Dawson City by bus. On another trip we rented a car in Skagway and drove in to Canada over to Whitehorse for lunch. That gave me a chance to take pictures of the train from the highway. I will look for some pictures.

We had pot roast last night (although I fix mine in the electric skillet rather than a slow cooker). The Cabernet would have been good with it. I drank a red blend (and added some to the pot roast of course). Haven’t had today’s drink, curious about it.

Busy week here as we are having a new bed delivered tomorrow, Wednesday is my second trial dose, then DH sees his cardiologist on Friday. Doctor visits are our most frequent outings 🤣. Oh, the joys of aging.

Praying for all on the care list, for strength and healing, and also prayers for the caregivers and medical staff for all they do 🙏. And I will finish off the red wine this evening in a toast 🍷to celebrate the good things we share.

St Louis Sal

• Like 27

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and warm day at the beach

No wallpaper here. Like both dinner suggestions.  The Care list is too long. Hopefully everyone will be doing better soon. Need more celebrations!

We have been to Skagway. Great port. 

We were able to go out on the boat yesterday. Turned out to be a beautiful day. Plus the river was full of life also. Lots of dolphin and manatees. Great to see!

Off to water aerobics. Then it is watering plants day. I have 2 neighbors that are away and I am watering their plants. So that will keep me busy. One has a lot !

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 22

Good morning all!  What a beautiful morning here in Georgia.  I am surprised today's port of Haines includes Skagway.  They are separate ports, as Roy @rafinmdsaid.  Of course we've been to Skagway but never to Haines.  I would love to have a stop there someday.  Thanks for the great photos of Haines shared already by @summer slope and @kb4683and I hope we see more.  I also want to thank Roy for the photo of the barbecue on deck the Veendam.  Those were the days, weren't they? 

Quite a group of Days to celebrated today.  Taxes are long done, don't intend to become a pack rat and in fact am repulsed by the hoarder-look.  Telecommunications are important in this day and age, and happy Shavuot to those who are celebrating today.  Slow Cooker Pot Roast sounds great.  We prepare our roasts that way every time because of how tender the meat becomes.  No wall papering going on anywhere at my house.  @kazuyour deck looks very neatly done.  You can tell how well you maintain it.  Can't wait to see some of your photos of the flower adorned deck this summer!   

I just got a text from DGS who got his first jab yesterday and he says besides his shoulder being a little sore, he feels great!  And why not?  He's a healthy 14 year old (recovered from his broken clavicle), so he probably wakes up feeling great every day.  Don't you wish we could all say that?

• Like 25

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'm trying to undo being a pack rat.  Wishing those who celebrate Shavuot the best.  Telecommunications are especially important in these times.  My taxes are long done.  The quote is especially relevant in these times but hoping that  will change.  Haines and Skagway are separate ports and I've been to both on BHB's but I have a feeling Haines may have been dropped.  The meal sounds great.  My alternative is Chilled Guanabana Soup, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Peach Crisp, supplemented by a Lido Barbecue as served on MS Veendam May 17, 2016:

bbq2.jpg

Roy

Nice to here from you Roy.   You speedy recovery is in my prayers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a wild combo of days! Happy Shavuot to all who celebrate.

Jacqui, thank you for taking care of our lists! I am concerned that our Care list is so long. @JazzyVhappy that I checked in late enough yesterday to see your posts. Praying you & @StLouisCruisersDS get answers soon that give you both relief.

I am the antithesis of a pack rat. Moving a bit helped me develop that persona. I refuse to put wallpaper on anything. Period. Putting a hold on the meal until Winter returns. The drink sounds fun. But a back scratcher? 

Bindi and I had a wonderful hike yesterday, and just when I thought our evening walk would be a short one, she added another mile! Grand total 16,279 steps! It was a spectacular day for getting out and hike. We both slept very well last night.  And people are starting to notice how svelt Bindi is looking. Her annual physical is next month and I know my Vet will be pleased. 

Today will be a bit more routine, but it is still a spectacular day. We are all enjoying every moment we can because we know what is around the corner.  Saturday night a group of us had an impromptu gathering at the beach, and the Northeast winds were so strong, we could see whitecaps all the way to the horizon and the breaking waves were brown from all the sand they were churning up. It was awesome in the true sense of the word.  And we were all stunned that the launch still went up as scheduled. We had a great view and that was a great way to wrap up the evening. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Though all released vintages of this Cab have great ratings, I picked the oldest one with many online distributors & decent prices. The lowest price I found was $37.99, but I suspect you could find it cheaper locally. 

Winemaker Notes

The 2016 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon opens with aromas of blackberry crisp and flavors of cherry, clove and a hint of dark chocolate. Full-bodied and smooth with a lingering finish.

TP94  Wine.com Tasting Panel: Three of Silverado’s estate vineyards bore the fruit for this sleek red, blended with 13% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, and 3% Cab Franc: Silverado Vineyard in the Stags Leap District, Mt. George Vineyard in Coombsville, and Oakville Station, a historic site on the western edge of the Oakville bench that’s under the purview of UC Davis. Aged 16.5 months in French, Hungarian, and American oak, it displays serious tannins that build to eventually express reined-in power. Flavors of jammy blackberry are lengthened by graphite and bittersweet dark chocolate; vibrant and textural underbrush enters on the finish.

JS93 James Suckling: Attractive cassis here with a wealth of plush and nicely ripe blackberry and red-plum aromas and flavors. The palate has fine, firm tannins that carry long and fresh. Drink or hold. 
WE92 Wine Enthusiast: Soft in texture and accented in smoky, toasted oak, this estate wine blends in 13% Merlot and 3% each of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. It offers lush layers of tangy black fruit, clove, sage and a touch of warmth.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29

32 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Tropical Itch:

Ingredients
Pineapple wedge
Lime wedge

Directions
Instructions Checklist

Aloha!

• Like 5

👍Thank You for the Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Jacqui @kazu for the Care and Celebration List. Glad to read Roy @rafinmd posting! 😊

It would be nice to declutter a bit and slowly but surely that's the goal.🙃20210517_051005.thumb.jpg.ed62107054ebcd8faa8a26c1458c5038.jpg

We were on a 10 day r/t from SF up to Alaska on Princess and stopped to tour Skagway....great weather at the time!😎

🙏 Prayers to all in need! 🙏

Katie

• Like 26