Cunard or P&O World Cruise for a solo traveller

Car59

On 5/22/2021 at 11:26 PM, showingdiva said:

Definitely QM2 in a single KC cabin with the double picture windows, even above a balcony cabin.   Have been in both as a solo traveller, and although the price isn't often much difference, would pick the KC cabin over a balcony one any day.  Quiet corridor, central, mid-ships.   Very well thought out cabins added to the ship.

I think they have about  20 single cabins I don't know the exact number it might be more than that but they are located on deck 4 on the ship.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, Car59 said:

My gut is telling me Cunard and you are all confirming that. I will wait to see what the itineraries are as I want to make sure there are not too many ports I have already visited. Of course if it comes down to the fact that I can only afford P&O then it will be a no brainer!

Interesting point about the single cabin over a balcony cabin....I do enjoy my cuppa on the balcony every morning!

The single cabins will likely go very quickly. I am not certain how many there are? When does the pre registration open? 

As for the morning coffee on the balcony. I can get that but surely you can't beat a morning hot chocolate in Sir Samuels? (the coffee shop on Deck 2 across from the Chart Room)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I think they have about  20 single cabins I don't know the exact number it might be more than that but they are located on deck 4 on the ship.

On Queen Mary 2 :

9 on Deck 2 -  2002 to 2018 inclusive

6 on Deck 3L  - 3002 to 3012 inclusive

Edited by showingdiva

3 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

On Queen Mary 2 :

9 on Deck 2 -  2002 to 2018 inclusive

6 on Deck 3L  - 3002 to 3012 inclusive

Ok deck 2 my mistake. Could have swore it was Deck 4.

But 15 solo cabins. They will go quick. I think a couple of people solo people even live onboard or used to at least before this that is what I have heard. How true those rumours are I have no idea.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Ok deck 2 my mistake. Could have swore it was Deck 4.

But 15 solo cabins. They will go quick. I think a couple of people solo people even live onboard or used to at least before this that is what I have heard. How true those rumours are I have no idea.

I have been very lucky with the Deck 3L cabins, which each have two large round windows and a window seat, as well as the chaise longue in the cabin.   However, certainly with QM2's actual cruises opposed to transatlantics, they go very, very quickly .. often on day of release.

FWIW, they are up there with some of the best thought out single cabins on any cruise ship (liner in the case of QM2).   As someone who has also been in mini-suites and balcony cabins on both P&O and Cunard, these single cabins would be my top choice.

• Like 2

I've found  P&O cabins and Cunard to be very similiar. However P&O has a distinctive  big price advantage. P&O has in my mind better entertainment. Cunard only wins when you go grills and get the grills deck and restaurants.  However P&O savings give you plenty to spend on extra luxuries and speciality dining.  The more expensive the cabin the bigger the savings.

At the current price difference Cunard would be second choice

20 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I have been very lucky with the Deck 3L cabins, which each have two large round windows and a window seat, as well as the chaise longue in the cabin.   However, certainly with QM2's actual cruises opposed to transatlantics, they go very, very quickly .. often on day of release.

FWIW, they are up there with some of the best thought out single cabins on any cruise ship (liner in the case of QM2).   As someone who has also been in mini-suites and balcony cabins on both P&O and Cunard, these single cabins would be my top choice.

I suspect the Diamond and Platinum members get the first picks as well. OP will have to move pretty quick to snag one.

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I've found  P&O cabins and Cunard to be very similiar. However P&O has a distinctive  big price advantage. P&O has in my mind better entertainment. Cunard only wins when you go grills and get the grills deck and restaurants.  However P&O savings give you plenty to spend on extra luxuries and speciality dining.  The more expensive the cabin the bigger the savings.

At the current price difference Cunard would be second choice

If you are talking about price wouldn't MSC be the first choice?. Don't they do a world cruise. They used to and I think all inc on MSC would be cheaper as well?

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

If you are talking about price wouldn't MSC be the first choice?. Don't they do a world cruise. They used to and I think all inc on MSC would be cheaper as well?

Maybe  but the question asked was simply Cunard or P&O. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Maybe  but the question asked was simply Cunard or P&O. 

The choice is Cunard QM2 no other choice. The experience is unique. If it can't be afforded for 2024 there is always 2025.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

The choice is Cunard QM2 no other choice. The experience is unique. If it can't be afforded for 2024 there is always 2025.

I would beg to differ.

I found P &O when we have used it on the Capetown to UK leg of a world cruise every bit as nice as Cunard. The dress code was equally well observed on formal nights.  The outside space  equal , people just as nice and smart. The entertainment was better on P&O. However we don't use daytime activities on either so can't comment. I do not understand the uniqueness - superiority ascribed to Cunard. 

The exception being Cunard QG where of course the single seating restaurant and Grills deck was something our P&O suite didn't offer, even though as a room the P&O was better than Cunard. But if you're  not in Grills P&O is every bit as good as Cunard

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I found P &O when we have used it on the Capetown to UK leg of a world cruise every bit as nice as Cunard. The dress code was equally well observed on formal nights.  The outside space  equal , people just as nice and smart. The entertainment was better on P&O. However we don't use daytime activities on either so can't comment. I do not understand the uniqueness - superiority ascribed to Cunard

The lecture program for one thing perhaps, and the afternoon tea with white glove service which is included in the price on Cunard and not included on P&O is that correct? And also the fact that the QM2 itself is a true ocean liner designed differently for a possibly smoother ride.

25 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And also the fact that the QM2 itself is a true ocean liner designed differently for a possibly smoother ride.

Arcadia was at one stage destined to be a "Queen", and was designed as a liner rather than a cruiser, so doubt there will be much difference in the "ride".

51 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The lecture program for one thing perhaps, and the afternoon tea with white glove service which is included in the price on Cunard and not included on P&O is that correct? And also the fact that the QM2 itself is a true ocean liner designed differently for a possibly smoother ride.

Is the lecture programme another name for guest speakers? 

Not really bothered about afternoon tea, even with white glove service, and good old flat bottomed Independence of the seas is recognised by many as having  one of the smoothest rides at sea.

9 hours ago, ace2542 said:

P&O do have an afternoon tea service which is included in the fare.  Haven't sailed with Cunard so I can't comment on how it compares to Cunard's white glove service.  We aim to do the afternoon at least once per cruise.  There is also an additional cost afternoon tea service, by Eric Lanlard.  Never tried it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Arcadia was at one stage destined to be a "Queen", and was designed as a liner rather than a cruiser, so doubt there will be much difference in the "ride".

You are right about Arcadia once being bound for the Cunard fleet (and indeed the HAL fleet too) but I believe she was built on the Vista Class cruise ship template. As far as I know, QM2 is the only currently operational Ocean Liner. QE and QV are cruise ships as opposed to Ocean Liners.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

P&O do have an afternoon tea service which is included in the fare.  Haven't sailed with Cunard so I can't comment on how it compares to Cunard's white glove service.  We aim to do the afternoon at least once per cruise.  There is also an additional cost afternoon tea service, by Eric Lanlard.  Never tried it.

The Cunard afternoon tea is a little more 'refined' than the standard P&O one. It takes place in the Queen's Room, a lovely double-height venue and is accompanied by live music - a harpist or string quartet type of music. Everyone is also served individually by waiters as opposed to the sandwiches and cakes being left on the table to help yourself. Sadly though, I believe clotted cream for the scones is a rarity, with whipped cream being more in evidence.

• Like 2

We like both lines they have a similiar British feel and would go on either depending on the intinerary. Which for us on P&O looks to mean only the medium ships , Arcadia or Aurora. 

I was just questioning the claimed uniqueness and superiority of Cunard , the implication that it is a different league to P&O , and hence it's price premium 

So far. 

Some People think Cunard has better guest speakers . (But I prefer P&Os evening entertainment, my last Cunard cruise seemed to be a constant diet of songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals ). 

White gloved waiters afternoon tea.

I therefore stand by my claim that , P&O (medium ships) and Cunard are very similiar , and outside of the grills the price premium is about image not substance.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We like both lines they have a similiar British feel and would go on either depending on the intinerary. Which for us on P&O looks to mean only the medium ships , Arcadia or Aurora. 

I was just questioning the claimed uniqueness and superiority of Cunard , the implication that it is a different league to P&O , and hence it's price premium 

So far. 

Some People think Cunard has better guest speakers . (But I prefer P&Os evening entertainment, my last Cunard cruise seemed to be a constant diet of songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals ). 

White gloved waiters afternoon tea.

I therefore stand by my claim that , P&O (medium ships) and Cunard are very similiar , and outside of the grills the price premium is about image not substance.  

I've never been on Cunard,  and I'm sure it would be lovely (although why people enthuse about waiters with white gloves is beyond me), but the reason I'm not tempted to try it, is that I have no wish to go tea total  for the length of the cruise !  

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've never been on Cunard,  and I'm sure it would be lovely (although why people enthuse about waiters with white gloves is beyond me), but the reason I'm not tempted to try it, is that I have no wish to go tea total  for the length of the cruise !  

Are you sure you are not a tight fisted Yorkshireman wowzz?😉

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think Arcadia was originally destined for Holland America who didn't want her, and she was then offered to Cunard who turned her down.

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What is making you abstain on Cunard?

Is it the perceived notion the cocktails, beers, wines and spirits are inferior?