Edge sails on June 26?

Jeremiah1212

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nope.  Absolutely Not.  Won't be mess.  Florida isn't targeting the cruise industry.  Clarification should be out within a few days.   No need to worry.

Feel free to come back in a few days and say: 

Pee, you were correct.

If this is true, it is hard to clarify this.....

Seems pretty straightforward to me....

They have specifically mentioned the cruise industry.

Now, they may back down and change their minds, but to call that clarification is just a way to save face. Yes, politicians do it every day, so it would not surprise me.

How do you clarify what they said when they specifically call out the cruise industry and mention fines for each passenger asked?

If Celebrity requires COVID Vaccine proof via their check in process on line, Desantis can not regulate that.  I suspect that's exactly what Celebrity is doing.  But, I will be carrying my CDC COVID Vaccine card with me when I cruise because other countries may require it, even though FL doesn't.

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Celebrity said RCG, NCL and Carnival are jointly working on communication with the governor. Otherwise they are prepared to semantics their way around it.

Conversely, if things go wrong with these first cruises, the public perception around cruising is damaged forever. This little bubble of people on here and the huge demand they all talk about for 2022 is still somewhat artificial due to future credits and cruises that are not within final payment. They may be able to rebound from a pandemic once, but any setbacks in the future are going to cause major trouble. They can't afford to get this wrong. 

Semantics is  where I was going with "vaccine passports" vs "vaccination proof".   Told my wife the other day that if anything goes wrong with these early cruises, regardless of severity, it will be game over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

They also have a service to verify and digitally send proof of vaccination.  See if this works…

https://www.gogetvax.com/vaxyes-b

Same site but you can also google VAXYES.

It takes about a week for them to verify your vaccine and send a barcode showing that verification that you can store in your digital wallet.  I have mine on my iPhone.

Thank you very much!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, morechances said:

If this is true, it is hard to clarify this.....

Seems pretty straightforward to me....

They have specifically mentioned the cruise industry.

Now, they may back down and change their minds, but to call that clarification is just a way to save face. Yes, politicians do it every day, so it would not surprise me.

How do you clarify what they said when they specifically call out the cruise industry and mention fines for each passenger asked?

The Governor's office and the cruise line executives are currently in working to finalize a statement that will indicate the vaccine passport regulation does not apply to cruise lines.

BTW   You will need to wear your mask in the terminal because it is a transportation facility, but you can remove it when you board the ship if you are vaccinated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

They also have a service to verify and digitally send proof of vaccination.  See if this works…

https://www.gogetvax.com/vaxyes-b

Same site but you can also google VAXYES.

It takes about a week for them to verify your vaccine and send a barcode showing that verification that you can store in your digital wallet.  I have mine on my iPhone.

So how is this different than having a copy of my CDC vaccine card on my phone already?  This service asks for your photo of the vaccine card.  And then turns it back to you and says it is verified.  Not really sure why this makes a difference.  Who has said they will accept VAXYES as opposed to your own documentation?  Good way to waste money IMO.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So how is this different than having a copy of my CDC vaccine card on my phone already?  This service asks for your photo of the vaccine card.  And then turns it back to you and says it is verified.  Not really sure why this makes a difference.  Who has said they will accept VAXYES as opposed to your own documentation?  Good way to waste money IMO.

So how does this work for international guests?

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So how does this work for international guests?

Not sure what you are asking.  There is no source of accepted, verified electronic information in the USA other than some states who keep electronic databases.  States like NY have Excelsior Pass which is voluntary.  Not sure if it is accepted outside of NY.  Where does VAXYES fit into all of this?  Not at all clear.  And for International travel, countries are coming up with their own rules and systems.  This is all over the place.  Not clear what will be acceptable in the US or anywhere else yet. 

• Like 1

This is the paragraph in the Florida state law that has always caught our eye. Doesn't it give the cruise lines the "overriding" capability to implement screening protocols to verify passengers have been vaccinated to protect public health while onboard their ships as defined in the CDC's CSO Technical Instructions?

(1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business operations in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2021 at 7:32 PM, OBX-Cruisers said:

Hmmmm............now what will those antivaxxer cruisers do?

They can get stuck twice or stay stuck at home for the rest of this year!! It is their choice.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not sure what you are asking.  There is no source of accepted, verified electronic information in the USA other than some states who keep electronic databases.  States like NY have Excelsior Pass which is voluntary.  Not sure if it is accepted outside of NY.  Where does VAXYES fit into all of this?  Not at all clear.  And for International travel, countries are coming up with their own rules and systems.  This is all over the place.  Not clear what will be acceptable in the US or anywhere else yet. 

I thought the discussion was that something like gogetvax could be used to verify vaccination status and circumvent the Florida regulations.  I doubt gogetvax could work internationally.  

52 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My understanding is that it's verified by the company (as in not counterfeit or forged).  That verification also has a bar code that someone could use to, let's say scan and know immediately whether you are who you say you are, and whether or not you have had the vaccine.  Bottom line, it's a verification service for the vaccine recipient.

My guess is they are trying to license the service to airlines, cruise lines, etc.  Doesn't cost you anything.  If you don't want to do it, no biggie.  I think it's worthwhile and if adopted by some of the travel companies or airlines, would be a good thing to have on my iPhone.

But, I also have a pic of my CDC Vaccine card on my iPhone.  Theoretically, it could be a fake or forgery.

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I thought the discussion was that something like gogetvax could be used to verify vaccination status and circumvent the Florida regulations.  I doubt gogetvax could work internationally.  

To me, it's a perfect vehicle to just bypass all this FL brouhaha to begin with.  Internationally?  Who knows?  But, as you say, I doubt it.  But, I guess if airlines and cruise lines adopt it, it wouldn't be too far fetched they would have a way to verify someone's vaccine status outside of the U.S.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is the paragraph in the Florida state law that has always caught our eye. Doesn't it give the cruise lines the "overriding" capability to implement screening protocols to verify passengers have been vaccinated to protect public health while onboard their ships as defined in the CDC's CSO Technical Instructions?

(1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business operations in this state. This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.

Someone else noticed that too Ken. Sounds like some language to allow a workaround, but I'm not a lawyer. I guess that the devil in the details would be what happens if a person passed the "screening protocol" in all ways except having a vaccine.

I'm still enough of a libertarian to appreciate the intrusiveness of say a restaurant or Walmart asking for a 'vaccine passport" before allowing persons to enter. but a cruise ship is clearly a higher risk environment. Only a bar or a crowded indoor concert or maybe a Final Four game, would be a comparable optional activity - and at those venues, you aren't living there for a week at a time. Until Covid cases decrease more, higher risk "congregate living settings" are only truly safe for the vaccinated.

What we should be spending our energies on is assuring that home health aides and nursing home personnel are vaccinated (and hospital employees for that matter)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The Governor's office and the cruise line executives are currently in working to finalize a statement that will indicate the vaccine passport regulation does not apply to cruise lines.

How do you know this?

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

BTW   You will need to wear your mask in the terminal because it is a transportation facility, but you can remove it when you board the ship if you are vaccinated.

So in your "connected" position, do you envision this joint statement to be officially released before or after the temporary injunction court ruling on June 1st? 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

Naming confidential sources is an easy way to lose them.  I'll give ipee's statements a week or so to play out before ridiculing him.

Watch it!  I did not ridicule him at all. I replied to Cruise Wizard. Please look before you leap.