Cruise lines vs. Florida and Governor DeSantis

Journalists are not equipped with fortune telling abilities, so their predictions should be taken with a grain of ... uhh ... whatever.  But according to Washington Post journalists and their assembled "experts", the ban on vaccinations requirements for cruise ships is buffoonery which Florida is sure to lose.  Here's a link, although the Post's paywall is ferocious so you may have trouble reading the article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/05/28/florida-governor-cruise-desantis-vaccine/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is "inside" information on the Celebrity board regarding a workaround that DeSantis has created so that he can save face.  It evidently has something to do with the port being in Florida but the water by the dock on which the ship floats is international water.  That is not truly the case but the result is that cruise ships will not be subject to the Florida regulations.  Or in other words, DeSantis blinked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes posturing.  However you have no idea what he may have gotten negotiating behinds the scenes to come off his position.   Isn't that what all politics is about?  I'm surprised when I see so many people taking a politician on surface comments then going ballistic. Oh wait, no I'm not.   lol

BTW he doesn't need to do anything to posture to his base.  This, IMO, was about more than that.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Posturing for political gain...I think we all assume the two have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time. I didn't see anyone going ballistic though...I missed the fun. 

It wasn't here. It was on the Celebrity board.  They'll never cruise out of FL again!!! that sort of thing.

• Haha 1

Well I have a Celebrity cruise sailing out of FLL next year, one sailing out of Miami on Regent and another from L.A. into Miami in early '23. Do I look concerned?

It doesn't matter to me who's Gov when I sail as long as I have a great time!

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

In reading both the Celebrity and Regent boards, I'm getting the feeling I'm really going to enjoy sailing with y'all.  Regent cruisers just seem to be much more civil even when there's a disagreement in opinions.  A differing opinion there gets trounced upon by the most active.

Look at the most Celebrity posted thread.  It's about crying because they didn't get the latest Power Up Point awarded for their jumping through a hoop, Celebrity didn't post the latest PUP activity soon enough or how important it is to reach the next "loyalty" level even though they've weakened the perks associated with those levels.

1 minute ago, DatawCruiser said:

We Regent cruisers are much more concerned with the quality of the champagne than loyalty levels or points.

Speak for yourself; I don't like champagne but I love my titanium benefits. 😀

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 4:13 PM, mrlevin said:

Speak for yourself; I don't like champagne but I love my titanium benefits. 😀

Please send your bottle of VC to our suite.  We could use a second one 🍾

No matter what the outcome of this (and I believe the cruise lines will require vaccinations for boarding) like it or not, the Florida governor is getting plenty of national press, which has nothing to do with the needs of Florida.

Sailing on a ship without 100% vaccinated crew and passengers is not something I want to do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

No matter what the outcome of this (and I believe the cruise lines will require vaccinations for boarding) like it or not, the Florida governor is getting plenty of national press, which has nothing to do with the needs of Florida.

Sailing on a ship without 100% vaccinated crew and passengers is not something I want to do.

My wife and I are vaccinated.   A few non-vaccinated people does not bother me because I am vaccinated.  I am getting on the Splendor in Athens on November 11, 2021 even if there are some non-vaccinated.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, NORTOM said:

My wife and I are vaccinated.   A few non-vaccinated people does not bother me because I am vaccinated.  I am getting on the Splendor in Athens on November 11, 2021 even if there are some non-vaccinated.

We are getting on the Nov. 11 Splendor transatlantic, as well.  Hope to meet you then.  We are fully vaccinated.  Our first cruise will be on Crystal in July.  Just happy to get back to cruising.

3 hours ago, NORTOM said:

Sailing with non-vaccinated passengers may carry little additional risk for those of us who are vaccinated.  But what will happen when one of the unvaccinated persons comes down with vague symptoms and maybe a fever.  What limits on activities, etc., will be imposed on everyone until there is 100%% certainty that the passenger doesn't have Covid.  And what if an unvaccinated passenger actually comes down with Covid?  Imagine the chaos that will result with schedules, ports, disembarkation, etc.  I also can't imagine why a cruise company or its passengers would want to risk any of these events happening.  Political games in this instance are at odds with public health safety and confidence.

• Like 4

Let's assume 100% vaccinated on board.   What happens when there are "breakthrough" cases onboard?   Where everyone is vaccinated and still comes down with Covid.   The NY Yankees recently had this happen, where eight players/team personnel tested positive for Covid, despite all being vaccinated and adhering to stricter social policies from MLB.    Some had symptoms, others didn't.    I'd imagine the team travels with far fewer people than a cruise would, so if it can happen there it can happen on a Regent sized cruise ship.