Cruise lines vs. Florida and Governor DeSantis

4 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

Let's assume 100% vaccinated on board.   What happens when there are "breakthrough" cases onboard?   Where everyone is vaccinated and still comes down with Covid.   The NY Yankees recently had this happen, where eight players/team personnel tested positive for Covid, despite all being vaccinated and adhering to stricter social policies from MLB.    Some had symptoms, others didn't.    I'd imagine the team travels with far fewer people than a cruise would, so if it can happen there it can happen on a Regent sized cruise ship. 

. Some Yankee staff tested positive, all but one that tested positive had any symptoms, and NOT ONE was critical or hospitalized. Vaccinations work.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

. Some Yankee staff tested positive, all but one that tested positive had any symptoms, and NOT ONE was critical or hospitalized. Vaccinations work.  

This wasn't a question about vaccinations working, it's about having breakthrough cases with a fully vaccinated group.    What happens in that case on board?   I would think the cruise line would treat it the same as having a covid outbreak at that point and put in jeopardy being accepted at the next port they are docking at.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snore42 said:

This wasn't a question about vaccinations working, it's about having breakthrough cases with a fully vaccinated group.    What happens in that case on board?   I would think the cruise line would treat it the same as having a covid outbreak at that point and put in jeopardy being accepted at the next port they are docking at.   

The world is a different place from when nobody knew about covid or had vaccinations.  There will be medical protocols and isolation/quarantines. 

6 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Sailing with non-vaccinated passengers may carry little additional risk for those of us who are vaccinated.  But what will happen when one of the unvaccinated persons comes down with vague symptoms and maybe a fever.  What limits on activities, etc., will be imposed on everyone until there is 100%% certainty that the passenger doesn't have Covid.  And what if an unvaccinated passenger actually comes down with Covid?  Imagine the chaos that will result with schedules, ports, disembarkation, etc.  I also can't imagine why a cruise company or its passengers would want to risk any of these events happening.  Political games in this instance are at odds with public health safety and confidence.

I understand why Regent would not want the risk of having a non-vaccinated passenger on board.  However, if a non-vaccinated person is allowed on board, I will not be worried since I am vaccinated.  i frequently come in contact with non-vaccinated people.  I got vaccinated so I can live a normal life and cruise.

• Like 4

As those younger than twelve cannot currently be vaccinated it is not surprising that RCCL and Carnival will not require vaccination.  They are conducting test cruises per CDC direction.  I believe they are starting in Florida on 2 July; two days before FdR said he wanted to start cruising in Florida; yet NCLH ships are nowhere near ready to cruise even without the requirement for test cruises.  

Bridge tournament are starting back up later this summer; current protocols are that they require proof of vaccination; I wonder if any of those tournaments will be in Florida.  I don't mind showing proof of vaccination for international travel (e.g., cruise) but I will not (willingly) present that card for other activities.

12 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

I know which cruise line I won’t go on.  This is ridiculous.  If you are eligible for vaccine it should be required in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:22 PM, NORTOM said:

... However, if a non-vaccinated person is allowed on board, I will not be worried since I am vaccinated.  ...

If one takes this reasonable position, one should be aware of the risk assessment involved in the decision.  Being fully vaccinated does not mean that you are completely protected from getting covid-19.  The level of protection is high, but not complete.  There are some "breakthrough cases" of fully vaccinated people getting sick from exposure to non-vaccinated people, even if those people are asymptomatic.  The question is whether this small but non-zero risk is worth taking. At present, we lack the data to make a really informed decision, and I don't think we have any data at all about breakthrough cases on cruise ships.
The answer then is, of course, up to the individual. 
Personally, the answer for me is no, it is not worth the risk: full vaccinations for all or I won't be on the ship. Full disclosure: I have some health issues that mean that getting covid-19 is likely to be worse for me than for a normal person.
Of course, even if all passengers and crew are fully vaccinated the risk of getting covid-19 is still not exactly zero, just very very small.  If one wants zero risk in anything, such as crossing the street, getting out of bed, etc. etc., you are out of luck.

Every month we are getting more information as the scientists have more data to analyze. They say that a vaccinated person who should get COVID will not get seriously ill. But I haven’t heard of any data of vaccinated seniors getting COVID. I am all for reducing the risk as much as possible. If unvaccinated people are on a cruise, there will then be talk of wearing masks. 

25 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

Every month we are getting more information as the scientists have more data to analyze. They say that a vaccinated person who should get COVID will not get seriously ill.

You are correct that the data are still very sketchy and preliminary.  And most epidemiologists who weigh in on this at all muzz-mouth it by saying things like "most breakthrough cases are mild or moderate." Of course, "most" cases is not "all" cases.  I'm glad my next cruise is still over a year away: hopefully things will be clearer by then.

Though I tend to believe the info that says fully vaccinated people can neither get Covid nor transmit it, I am still not getting on a cruise ship with those who refuse vaccination. Why? Even under this theory, what if a bunch of unvaccinated caught and spread it among themselves? Recent history tells us that the cruise would be seriously disrupted. It could be banned from ports and not even be able to disembark at the scheduled time and place. Just not worth the risk. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Though I tend to believe the info that says fully vaccinated people can neither get Covid nor transmit it, I am still not getting on a cruise ship with those who refuse vaccination. Why? Even under this theory, what if a bunch of unvaccinated caught and spread it among themselves? Recent history tells us that the cruise would be seriously disrupted. It could be banned from ports and not even be able to disembark at the scheduled time and place. Just not worth the risk. 

Totally agree!  We have had several cruises canceled.  We are now booked for 5/22 and 7/22.   We won’t go with allowing unvaccinated onboard.  

Couldn't agree more.  Certainly will not be going on any RC cruises.

51 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Totally agree!  We have had several cruises canceled.  We are now booked for 5/22 and 7/22.   We won’t go with allowing unvaccinated onboard.  

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Even under this theory, what if a bunch of unvaccinated caught and spread it among themselves?

To me, an outbreak causing cruse disruption/shortening is a key issue and one that’s not reported or considered much.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

You are completely correct.  I am not worried about catching it myself as I am fully vaccinated with an excellent immune system.  But if cases break out onboard  due to unvaccinated people spreading it among themselves, that totally ruins the entire cruise.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RachelG said:

You are completely correct.  I am not worried about catching it myself as I am fully vaccinated with an excellent immune system.  But if cases break out onboard  due to unvaccinated people spreading it among themselves, that totally ruins the entire cruise.

But some of us are fully vaccinated and don’t have excellent immune system.  It’s just so obvious to me with the demographics on Regent most of the time ...vaccinations must be required.  Let’s face it..they don’t cater to under 16 or 12.  

• Like 4

On 6/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, rcandkc said:

But some of us are fully vaccinated and don’t have excellent immune system.  It’s just so obvious to me with the demographics on Regent most of the time ...vaccinations must be required.  Let’s face it..they don’t cater to under 16 or 12.  

100%🤗right.

• Like 2