Best of Japan

floralscent

Hi!  We are very, very, very seriously considering a 12 nt cruise on our fav ship, the Solstice, on the Best of Japan itinerary in October 2021.  Has anyone done this itinerary before?  Any suggestions on a place to stay pre-cruise that is close to the port and/or tips on how to get from the airport to that pre-cruise hotel.  If you have done this itinerary before and have suggestions for me, please feel free to offer me any suggestions.  Thank you-

43 minutes ago, floralscent said:

Hi!  We are very, very, very seriously considering a 12 nt cruise on our fav ship, the Solstice, on the Best of Japan itinerary in October 2021.  Has anyone done this itinerary before?  Any suggestions on a place to stay pre-cruise that is close to the port and/or tips on how to get from the airport to that pre-cruise hotel.  If you have done this itinerary before and have suggestions for me, please feel free to offer me any suggestions.  Thank you-

We did a very similar sailing on the Millennium in fall of 2019.  I’d recommend researching non-cruise materials about Japan. There is a wealth of resources you won’t find on CC for this very specialized country. 

I’d personally suggest staying Tokyo for a few nights before or after your voyage… going to Japan withiut spending substantial time in Tokyo would be criminal. 

In terms of a hotel, Celebrity has been using the secondary port in Yokohama, which is on a man made island that largely consists of industrial areas and vehicle storage. There aren’t any hotels that would be walkable to that port, but there are many western hotels in Yokohama (Sheraton, etc) that you’d have no issues 

The easiest way to get from either Narita or Haneda to any hotel is the Airport Limo Bus, especially with western luggage. They pick up and drive to your hotel, and it’s easy, reliable and inexpensive. Japan does transportation like few other countries, so even the buses there are great. .   

Also, you’ll find Japan to be incredibly tourist friendly: most major metro areas (where the ships stop) are entirely walkable or doable by public transit, in English and Japanese. 

You might want to explore the Asia/Japan forums on CC for more specifics. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy

AstoriaPreppy!!!!  This is amazing info and I am incredibly grateful.  Thank you so much.

We are definitely staying a few days pre-cruise to get acclimated and to get situated prior to leaving port.  Once we are done cruising, for some reason we are ready to get home so pre-cruise is the only way for us.  Again, thank you so much!!!

In 2018 we did a B2B pairing which started with a 15 night Vancouver to Yokohama leg followed by a 13 night Japan Explorer itinerary.  The trans-Pacific crossing included several ports in northern Japan.  While my husband had been to Japan on business this was my first trip.   

Because I was the executor of a family member's will I was pressed for time in planning for these cruises.  While the estate was well organized it was large and time consuming.  So we ended up taking a number of Celebrity shore excursions.  Since the cruises were impacted by not one but two typhoons this turned out for the best.  Itineraries were changed a number of times.  I felt sorry for the Celebrity shore excursion staff.  But I must say that we were very pleased with their shore excursions.  

The Millennium docked in Yokohama following the TP a day early due to Typhoon Trami.  CNN and other news organizations had published photos of Trami taken from the space station.  In any event a number of folks flew out earlier than they had planned.  The B2B guests were actually evacuated from the ship as the Millennium spent the night Trami hit Yokohama in the Bay of Tokyo with four tugs keeping it in position.  

There were several hundred B2B passengers so Celebrity booked several hotels. The passengers in suites and Zeniths (we were in an Aqua stateroom but are Z. members of the Captain's Club) were taken to the Yokohama Royal Park Hotel.  We were planning to take another Japan Explorer cruise in April 2021 followed by the TP back to Vancouver.  We had planned to book the Royal Park again.  We both were pleased with it.  Great location.

Following the second cruise we spent five full days in Tokyo.  We booked the Hilton Tokyo using points but upgraded to the Executive Class.  This hotel is located in Shinjuku so the location was perfect for navigating Tokyo.  And the hotel concierge arranged a private car pick-up from the cruise terminal to the hotel;  when I had asked for a price quote I was stunned at the reply as it was much less expensive than I had anticipated.

For the five days in Tokyo we used Triplelights to arrange for a private guide for day two and day four.  Their website has bios and reviews of their guides.  You are able to select a particular guide.  We  had e-mail correspondence with him as they arrange customized tours based on your particular interests.  This was well worth the expense as we covered a wide amount of Tokyo very efficiently.  The company name has changed but still should be easy to find.

Our plans in April 2021 had been to spend several days in  both Yokohama and Kyoto before boarding the ship.

When we did a similar cruise in 2018, we took the Narita Express train to Ueno Station, and then took a local subway to our hotel in the Akihabara area of Tokyo.  The train was less expensive and quicker than the Airport bus from Narita.  

Given the problems Japan is now experiencing with COVID, I would not be surprised in foreigners are still barred from Japan in October.  

Edited by cruiserchuck

Hi I am booked with a group also in Oct!   I was also before starting from Yokohama!

Don t you think we get problems to be allowed to travel in Japan in Oct 21

at moment you are not allowed to visit olympia

does anyone has more information

no confirmation from celebrity about best if japan cruise?

While I would also be a bit sceptical about 0ct 2021 I can wholeheartedly recommend Japan. We fell in love with Japan on two cruises and booked a third for 2022 because of it.

Here are our reviews:

Japan on Millennium

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

Japan on HAL Westerdam

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/hal-westerdam-japan-01.html

• Like 3

Miaminice, really enjoyed both your reviews of Japan....thank you.

Would you mind sharing which cruise line are you booked with for 2022. We have two cruises booked Transatlantic Oct 2021 and Alaska May 2022 the Alaskan one has been moved on since May 2019. We have only ever cruised with Celebrity but are now open to trying other lines.

Noreen

We would love to do this cruise too.  I am a bit concerned that Oct 2021 will get cancelled.  Japan is way behind on vaccinations and the Summer Olympics are in danger of being cancelled due to COVID surging there.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/05/28/tokyo-olympics-looking-more-and-more-like-fan-free-event/44647145/

3 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Miaminice, really enjoyed both your reviews of Japan....thank you.

Would you mind sharing which cruise line are you booked with for 2022. We have two cruises booked Transatlantic Oct 2021 and Alaska May 2022 the Alaskan one has been moved on since May 2019. We have only ever cruised with Celebrity but are now open to trying other lines.

Noreen

Hi Noreen,

we booked the Southern Japan cruise on Solstice for Oct 2022.

Although we enjoyed our cruise on HAL we much prefer Celebrity as a cruise line.

Oliver

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Japan is way behind on vaccinations

What is it now, about 2% fully vaccinated? Yeah, I'd be worried about an Oct 21 sailing there happening. 

I would be VERY cautious about booking a trip to Japan in 2021. Hopefully you are doing your research on entry requirements and what not. We have been planning a trip to Asia since 2020. First tried feb 2021 which was a no go. Then we were looking at feb of 2022, and I'm still not sure about that one yet. The Asian countries have been very slow in re-opening. We are specifically looking at Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam, and as of now, none of them permit tourists to enter without quarantines. 

If considering a Japan-intensive cruise, I would recommend looking at one of those offered in late March to early April, which is cherry blossom time. I believe several lines offer these itineraries which visit a number of ports both to the north and south to give cruisers a chance to see some of the gorgeous cherry blossoms. 

Partner that with several pre-cruise days to see Tokyo and Kyoto. Kyoto needs more time than a one-day port visit. 

I would also not rate the chances of an October 2021 cruise around Japan very high.

• Like 3

We did the circumnavigation of Japan with Miaminice and loved cherry blossom time.   We fell in love with Japan as well, and plan to visit again during fall colours in 2022.  Like Cruisemom,   We also recommend spending time in Japan pre or post cruise,  in particular Kyoto is worth several days and is only a few hours direct train ride from Yokohama.

We can recommend the Grand  Hotel in Yokohama where General  McArthur made his headquarters during The war.    It is within site of the port, and a very short walk from the Chinatown area of Yokohama.   We also enjoyed the Hilton in Shinjuku for Tokyo,  which has amazing views and a shuttle bus to the station.  If you can go for the executive floor for lovely happy hour snacks,  views and a great breakfast.  

Thank you Miaminice for the great review.  i have copied down some of your tips.   our cruise is an Asia intensive so we do not visit as many of the Japanese ports as you did.  We hope to be there end of April next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Partner that with several pre-cruise days to see Tokyo and Kyoto. Kyoto needs more time than a one-day port visit. 

\

We cruised on Millennium end of Oct/Nov. 2019 for their Asia cruise that included China, S. Korea, and lot's of Japan.

We were docked in Kobe for two days and did Kyoto on our own. It is very easy to take the train to Kyoto and visit what is most important to you.

Upon return to Tokyo, we actually disembarked the cruise one day early and took a taxi to The Peninsula hotel and it is in a very good location. That allowed us the extra time to see more of what we wanted and we also like to do it yourself when touring.

I actually just looked up your itinerary and I like The Best of S. Japan better. It gives you plenty to time in Kyoto, Kobe, Kochi etc. to see the many fabulous shrines etc. that this area offers. They are all very close and easily accessible by train.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
additions

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We cruised on Millennium end of Oct/Nov. 2019 for their Asia cruise that included China, S. Korea, and lot's of Japan.

We were docked in Kobe for two days and did Kyoto on our own. It is very easy to take the train to Kyoto and visit what is most important to you.

Upon return to Tokyo, we actually disembarked the cruise one day early and took a taxi to The Peninsula hotel and it is in a very good location. That allowed us the extra time to see more of what we wanted and we also like to do it yourself when touring.

I actually just looked up your itinerary and I like The Best of S. Japan better. It gives you plenty to time in Kyoto, Kobe, Kochi etc. to see the many fabulous shrines etc. that this area offers. They are all very close and easily accessible by train.

My itinerary??

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I really think to truly experience Kyoto you need to stay for several days and nights.  The joys of wandering the ancient streets in the evenings can’t be experienced on a short trip.  I also think spending some time in the smaller towns and villages gives a great perspective. We cruised for 14 days and spent 15 days touring on our own,  and just scratched the surface. 

6C68B3EE-DCFA-4409-94E3-CADF962C601E.jpeg

09790E1D-DC53-46CF-8EE5-ECF55F7B224C.jpeg

214CD44F-B928-4280-AC2E-F2AEFBC20CFA.jpeg

• Like 1

For a comprehensive introduction to Japanese culture and travel I recommend that you download NHK World Japan to your smart TV. NHK has several series of programs on travel such as biking in Japan and traveling by railroad. Programs are in English or captioned or a combination of both. To be current on Japan's covid status you won't find a better source than NHK. If you are a sumo fan or just sumo-curious you can check that out, too. 🙂

Edited by ouse456