DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

BTW, I'm not going to look back and find the post, but you quoted me and asked if the American Steamboat Company had to follow CDC guidelines because of the size of their ships. And my answer was some ships were larger and some smaller than 500. But, it was only later that I realized the answer should have been yes they are subject to CDC guidelines because they travel between states. 

I think it is the CDC that exempts boats less than 500 passengers. Ferries and such are essential.

6 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

True but all vaccinated people need to be tested within 72 hours flying into most countries.  PCR or Antigen.  

All the more reason to apply for an EU vaccine passport or whatever they call them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Moviela said:

I think they signed on for simulated cruises as a "belt & suspenders" insurance policy so they can bob and weave with the CDC if necessary. Since the vaccination rate is so high and successful I have thought the need for simulated cruises is moot.  As government is involved we need wait till the last minute to have a decision.  

If that were true why not ask for approval also for vaccinated cruises like celebrity did .. 

Doesnt make sense they would ask for it if they wanted the other, but not also request back up approval for vaccinated too.

My roll call is pushing 400, lots of brand new cruisers. ..and a pretty large percentage are not vaccinated. We agreed to not judge, people just say yes or no and no comments. Lots couldnt go if vaccinated.. I dont see carnival ceo saying not vaccinated and then having to say oh i changed my mind. Doesnt make sense.

I'm prepared to roll with whatever ... many arent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm in the boat ...why would carnival ask for approval to do mock cruises if they wanted to go the vaccinated route. .. and out of Galveston if carnival they could easily go this route.

Logic says to cover all bases. Why has Carnival not announced any test voyages? There is a delay in the CDC approving them, and there needs to be time for the CDC to review that data after. Carnival's first revenue cruise is what? July 4th? They are probably waiting for the results of negotiations and how bad the Memorial Day spike becomes.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont see carnival ceo saying not vaccinated and then having to say oh i changed my mind. Doesnt make sense.

The CEO only said no current plans - at the time it was said. Since then, we know they are requiring for Alaska.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, kutty77 said:

You do realize that even if you are VACCINATED you can still get the virus and with that being said even the “vaccined” people should still have to get tested too. Oh and YES even if you are vaccinated you can pass it on to someone else and possibly have to quarantine or even worse get the cruise industry shut down. 

Breakthrough infection of fully vaccinated people is 0.009%. Do you realize that number is almost ZERO chance of contracting the virus if one is fully vaccinated? That leaves a very minimal chance of a vaccinated person transmitting the virus to others, especially given the fact that fully vaccinated people have a much lower viral load than non vaccinated infected people. Bottom line.....fully vaccinated people pose so little threat to others, they are a non issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

There is absolutely no data on spread from vaccinated individuals.  Yes, they can get it but the data on spread is not complete.  Is there a chance?  Probably.  But very, very, vary rare according to public data.  As of now, with collected data so far, one dose of the vaccine halves transmission.  Two doses pretty much wipes out any chance of transmission.  Possible?  Yes.  Rare though.  Only time will tell and we will see what will happen with the variants.

Thanks you posting actual facts provided and backed by the science community and not some personal opinion presented as being the truth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Logic says to cover all bases. Why has Carnival not announced any test voyages? There is a delay in the CDC approving them, and there needs to be time for the CDC to review that data after. Carnival's first revenue cruise is what? July 4th? They are probably waiting for the results of negotiations and how bad the Memorial Day spike becomes.

I can see it coming soon enough with the approval of their restart plan out of Port Canaveral by the CDC. 

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I thought they had approval to run simulations out of 3 ports?  I mean do they actually have to announce the actual voyages if so little few people are going to be on them?

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

10 minutes is the average on a cruise ship.  Big reason we love the COVE cabins on the lower deck.  No wait going up.  Stairs for the way down  LMAO

This is why we love getting a cabin on the lido deck.  It's close to food options, the pool, the jogging track, and where we like to lounge outside.  We avoid the elevators as often as we can.

7 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I thought they had approval to run simulations out of 3 ports?  I mean do they actually have to announce the actual voyages if so little few people are going to be on them?

They have to also get the specific cruises approved. CDC will go along for the ride to verify.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html#simulated-voyage

Specify the dates and location of the proposed simulation.

A few people will be hundreds, minimum. Dates would leak.

2 hours ago, Moviela said:

I predict before they cast off the bow line, vaccination will be required. If you choose to avoid an experimental vaccine, I respect your choice, but you will not be entitled to cruise.

I disagree.  I believe Carnival is going to go w/ vac and unvac pax.  What I find humorous w/ attitudes such is yours is that fact that unvax may respect your choice, but you will have to decide if your 'entitled' to do the cruise....don't like the rules, can't play.  (BTW, I'm vaccinated and prefer an all vaccinated cruise....just can't stand the attitudes people impose on those that have made different choices).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't see Camp Carnival/whatever being open when cruising restarts. Too much covid liability. If there are kids sailing, parents are going to have to keep them occupied and how much of a vacation can that be?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Hopefully, we will find out one way or the other this month so people can make or change their plans.  I am good either way, but many people really need to know because they are traveling with children.

I'm puzzled why no one believes carnival ceo or that they choose to ask for approval for unvaccinated. 

The ceo has been clear and unwavering.

I keep seeing people arguing as if it's up to us to decide. .. btw the mock cruises were just approved the end of last week and a holiday weekend... and people post, well they had 2 business days to schedule, the fact they havent scheduled proves they didnt mean it. Crazy. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm puzzled why no one believes carnival ceo or that they choose to ask for approval for unvaccinated. 

The ceo has been clear and unwavering.

I keep seeing people arguing as if it's up to us to decide. .. btw the mock cruises were just approved the end of last week and a holiday weekend... and people post, well they had 2 business days to schedule, the fact they havent scheduled proves they didnt mean it. Crazy. 

I think some people think that if cruises from Florida are permitted to sail with vaccinated-only passengers, that suddenly all of the cruise lines will require vaccinations.  I am not sure how well that will work with Carnival and Disney suddenly dumping families.

Edited by TNcruising02

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think some people think that if cruises from Florida are permitted to sail with vaccinated-only passengers, that suddenly all of the cruise lines will require vaccinations.  I am not sure how well that will work with Carnival and Disney suddenly dumping families.

If they mandate vaccines, test cruises won't be required. Disney has an announced test date cruise - June 29.

2 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

"Ron DeSantis is close to signing off on a bargain that would recognize cruise ships at port as being in international waters, meaning they would not be subject to the state's newly signed vaccine passport ban if they require proof of vaccinations after passengers come aboard."...

I don't see that as a compromise except as spin.

It's anti-business because it forces cruise operators to decouple the pre-boarding and CDC 95% rule separately, an unnecessary added expense for the cruise lines and bottleneck for the passengers.  On the other hand, where does that leave the unvaccinated cruisers who "said" they were vaccinated while in the terminal?

POPCORN time!  😀🏴‍☠️

Yep! Funny to watch DeSantis backtrack with this laughable compromise! Grab the popcorn and watch the backtracking spin! 🍿

• Like 3