DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

4 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

If the ship is in the middle of the Ocean is the concern. Who pays to helicopter to the nearest port and would the nearest port be a willing partner?

Will the cruise ships medical center be equipped to handle the Covid case?

Still questions to be answered.

Yeah this is the scary part.  This section from Carnivals site is scary but it says if you fail a test you can't board the vessel.  It seems that they can just drop you off.

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival in the event of denial at embarkation, or a pro-rated refund of the unused portion of your Cruise Fare in all other cases.
  • Like 1

Just now, cscurlock said:

Yeah this is the scary part.  This section from Carnivals site is scary but it says if you fail a test you can't board the vessel.  It seems that they can just drop you off.

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival in the event of denial at embarkation, or a pro-rated refund of the unused portion of your Cruise Fare in all other cases.

Yes - scary absolutely -   " or being suspected of having COVID-19"    Too broad in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I agree. .. though I think many pie in the sky so far not accepting carnivals decision. 

While it might sound good to say ok some vaccinated and some not. In real life, saying ok Baltimore vaccinated and nj not vaccinated...give them a choice. In real life to be a real choice the ships would need to leave from the same port and carnival would have to be willing to let people price protect and move between ships .. if you have to pay a new higher price to change it's not a fair choice. There would be outrage. People are already booked on these cruises people say oh let's make some vaccinated and some not .. besides alaska which carnival has no choice.

To me people arent thinking logically. 

At what pt do folks accept that carnival made its choice. 

firefly, agree, the lines have a right to make a choice for their business.  No one should be upset when one line decided vaccinated or unvaccinated. As long as there are both types of cruises then everyone wins.   Which there are.  The only question would be would carnival offer refund based on that decision if someone has a cruise that doesn't fit into the cruise type they want.  Not sure of the rules on that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Travel insurance... I would think even those that don't normally purchase it should consider it.

1 minute ago, balcony bound said:

Travel insurance... I would think even those that don't normally purchase it should consider it.

Yeah but lf the country won't let you through the gate into their country because you are positive how can you leave the pier?  You'd be like Tom Hanks in that movie where he is stuck at the airport. 

• Like 1

Just now, cscurlock said:

Yeah but lf the country won't let you through the gate into their country because you are positive how can you leave the pier?  You'd be like Tom Hanks in that movie where he is stuck at the airport. 

As of now I think they cruise ship has to have an agreement with the port for these situations.

4 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

firefly, agree, the lines have a right to make a choice for their business.  No one should be upset when one line decided vaccinated or unvaccinated. As long as there are both types of cruises then everyone wins.   Which there are.  The only question would be would carnival offer refund based on that decision if someone has a cruise that doesn't fit into the cruise type they want.  Not sure of the rules on that.

Carnival has been allowing you to move your deposit into 2023. Not a refund. ..unless you booked a refundable rate. 

If you want vaccinated there is already a choice, celebrity has been approved for vaccinated cruises. Each line doesnt have to offer both. It's your choice. .. just like it was your choice to book a refundable deposit.

I'm hoping at some pt people quit with telling carnival what to do and move on to how to deal with the reality of unvaccinated cruises. So far a lot seem caught up in their own minds that they can tell carnival what to do. ..as if carnival hasnt been saying,. This is what we are doing.  .. john saying, ok staggered boarding to deal with new protocols. No priority.  They are telling us.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival has been allowing you to move your deposit into 2023. Not a refund. ..unless you booked a refundable rate. 

If you want vaccinated there is already a choice, celebrity has been approved for vaccinated cruises. Each line doesnt have to offer both. It's your choice. .. just like it was your choice to book a refundable deposit.

I'm hoping at some pt people quit with telling carnival what to do and move on to how to deal with the reality of unvaccinated cruises. So far a lot seem caught up in their own minds that they can tell carnival what to do. ..as if carnival hasnt been saying,. This is what we are doing.  .. john saying, ok staggered boarding to deal with new protocols. No priority.  They are telling us.   

By the time Carnival "commits" to a sail date for the Mardi Gras, the category of cabin I keep going back to (on the Edge as a PLAN B) for that sail date will all be snapped up. Granted, I'd have to dig deeper into my pocket for the Celebrity cruise, but I'd rather (not for economic reasons) experience the Mardi Gras!

Last week we were told the ball was being kicked into this week. No doubt it's going to be moved down the field a bit more, again...

Tom

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

If the ship is in the middle of the Ocean is the concern. Who pays to helicopter to the nearest port and would the nearest port be a willing partner?

Do you think that someone will go from testing negative to needing to be hospitalized on a 7 day cruise?  I just don't think that will happen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It's amazing that the "outbreak" on the Yankees is cited as a failure of the vaccine. First, there were no serious cases, basically asymptomatic and only detected because baseball has a testing policy. The thought is the spread happened when the team was clustered in a small space during a rain delay. Think how much worse it could have been without the large percentage of vaccinations among team personnel. 

Here's the problem with this logic... even last summer without the vaccine, most of the players testing positive were asymptomatic (70%) as well.  So it turns out, it was NOT much worse WITHOUT vaccinations.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-coronavirus-antibody-study-results-less-than-one-percent-of-participants-test-positive/

"70 percent of those who tested positive were asymptomatic -- i.e., they presented no symptoms of having COVID-19"

Edited by jfunk138

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

By the time Carnival "commits" to a sail date for the Mardi Gras, the category of cabin I keep going back to (on the Edge as a PLAN B) for that sail date will all be snapped up. Granted, I'd have to dig deeper into my pocket for the Celebrity cruise, but I'd rather (not for economic reasons) experience the Mardi Gras!

Last week we were told the ball was being kicked into this week. No doubt it's going to be moved down the field a bit more, again...

Tom

From what the news blogs say, sounds like mardi gras will be the 5th ship to resume. They are expecting carnival to announce which ship from PC. But expectations already in place but no pressure to say until we get closer to those early july departures, which I'd expect to be pushed back. I get it some post how happy they think people from India will be to get jobs, the reality is the ships are saying it's not easy to get a full vaccinated crew. Hiring issues keep being mentioned, albeit posters as usual think it's easy.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Do you think that someone will go from testing negative to needing to be hospitalized on a 7 day cruise?  I just don't think that will happen.  

You don’t have to need hospitalization. If you test positive at any point, they can put you off at the next port. That is where the hotel quarantine comes in. People who are vaccinated are not likely to need hospitalization if they test positive. For people who are not vaccinated, all bets are off. 

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Probably not on vaccinated cruises.

9 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I’ve learned a long time ago to “never say never”😂😂

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Not scary at all. Highly unlikely for vaccinated folks. I also have worldwide evacuation coverage. Staying home is an option if you are afraid.

Just now, beerman2 said:

I’ve learned a long time ago to “never say never”😂😂

Right!  But the odds really are slim to none that it will happen.  As long as there is testing before boarding, I think everything will be fine.  All of the high risk people should already be vaccinated and those are the ones who would end up in the hospital.

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Hard to tell because the person could have comorbidities and be really old.  Some people deteriorated very rapidly after testing positive and went from fine to being really in trouble. Would that happen in 7 days?  Who can say for sure but once these partially vaccinated ships sail we will get a clear picture.  These future cruises will be studied and will become models for what we do in the future if something like this happens again.   

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

I  think he will and to be honest I think he should run both types for cruises.  There are some people that can't actually take a vaccine for medical reasons.  There's no reason that cruises lines could not have both types of cruises.  

Higher costs would be one reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Not scary at all. Highly unlikely for vaccinated folks. I also have worldwide evacuation coverage. Staying home is an option if you are afraid.

Agree on the vaccinated folks but I was talking more in line with the unvaccinated people.  

46 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

If you are in the middle of the ocean, you will be treated in the ship’s infirmary if necessary or quarantined to your room until the next port where you will be disembarked. 

At sea rescues are performed by Coast Guard or military of the nearest country at no cost, but it is for life or death situations only. Your cost begins once you hit land. You’ll pay for ambulance and medical treatment.

The infirmary will be equipped to the limits of its capacity. Cunard is not allowing passengers who need oxygen to sail so they can reserve all supplies in case of Covid cases.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

As long as there is testing before boarding, I think everything will be fine.  

I think this is being downplayed   .. and why the staggered boarding will take longer. 

Unless people think the cdc will remove it from the cso... this is my worry. Uggh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

... I get it some post how happy they think people from India will be to get jobs, the reality is the ships are saying it's not easy to get a full vaccinated crew. Hiring issues keep being mentioned, albeit posters as usual think it's easy.

No doubt - we have issues enough here at home trying to get job vacancies filled. I can't imagine the added hoops bringing people across the globe from places with higher rates of spread/less access to vaccines. 

Then I picture the Mardi Gras - with several new restaurants - it's not like they're going to be bringing people back to positions/menus that they're 100% familiar with. Lots of training to do, that's for sure. If I'm lucky enough to be on one of the first couple of sailings, I'll be sure to keep that in mind!!

Tom

• Like 1