The Daily for Thursday Jun 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is World Bicycle Day, Repeat Day (I said Repeat Day), and Love Conquers All Day

Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting somebody else to do the work. -- John G. Pollard

Meal suggestion for today - Roasted Pork Loin Porketta with Gravy

Drink of the Day - White Russian

Wine of the day - Antinori Solata - Italy - Red

Port of the Day - Copenhagen Denmark

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 6/5
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX

Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0603USA.thumb.png.4846fbb87e0e91689ac1ed3739a4952d.png

0603Europe.thumb.png.7f09480aaa32e6d426e87de69f54a623.png

Note that CM provided a dot for Rotterdam today -- I guess they consider it part of the fleet now! It would be nice if they would get the name right.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report. Riding bikes is fun, riding bikes is fun.  Love does conquer all.  Today’s quote is spot on.  The meal suggestion sound very good but I don’t really drink sweet drinks like today’s very often. I haven’t been to Copenhagen yet but can’t wait for the photos.  Hats off to everyone with a celebration today and prayers to all on our daily prayer list.  

• Like 20

Good morning and thank you to all who contribute to The Daily. I love all the pictures and memes. I may not post often but know I am here reading and laughing and praying and cheering. :) 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  LOL on the Repeat Day!  I was definitely in repeat mode yesterday with my planting and will be again today 😉 

12AC1EFC-81D6-4CCF-8DBD-554DA9FF43CB.jpeg.1f03feec3c37a9beef80c0e9b3f4e3d0.jpeg

Love should be celebrated every day 😄 

LOL on the Pollard quote.  Not sure what’s on the menu tonight but it isn’t pork loin.  I need something easy after all day of planting.  Maybe even a seafood bake?

We’ve been to Copenhagen several times and enjoy it very much.  I’ll check my other devices to see if I have any digital pictures I can share when I’m taking a mini break from working outside 😉 

Well, we can certainly tell it’s June here.  The bane of my existence outside when I’m working:

D8DB032F-6C0E-440D-AD65-83BA7085FDDE.jpeg.c8f4a02a016b229e37aa82a9453b8ae8.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery and wrist cast
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle for pending heart surgery
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • smitty34877’s Tana fever returning
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.
  • Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - I have a question for all of you.  Anyone use the coconut fibre planters to start plants?  Some of my transplants popped out nicely so I have a ton of them drying.  Can they be re-used or do I need to worry about bacteria?  Thanks if anyone has tried it/knows.

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

DDAE06DB-77DF-4D3A-9EC2-75E10779C155.jpeg.33ba32473c32eb815dd0bb8703dc8205.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Thursday evening here, after a rainy day. It hasn’t rained for about two weeks so every drop was welcome. 
We stayed in Copenhagen for a few days in June 2018, before boarding the Zuiderdam for a Baltic cruise, with four other family members.

The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm. We stayed in a hotel near the railway station in the smallest hotel room we had ever seen! Minimalist, I think you would describe it. We enjoyed walking around the city and taking a HOHO boat trip. We were a bit surprised at the amount of graffiti everywhere, and also the amount of cigarette butts that littered the streets.  We went to the Tivoli on two occasions and loved it. And the Lego shop was amazing. 123287E7-6B76-460B-A6A5-DEBE3891AABE.thumb.jpeg.c4872e97b22e6d1911d55c72947d8021.jpegF76E1383-5E3B-4625-9A6B-B2594CB128CE.thumb.jpeg.f06e308433492a5ce14bfd73893949e0.jpeg310D4C6F-C842-4C04-B1CE-DC8DD411B47B.thumb.jpeg.f836695388d85d5de35b057f7f4efcd8.jpegCBFDC90D-9AE6-458F-BE2F-5322DCCA9675.thumb.jpeg.c9d603f85a3def67df0a1ddf286bdc67.jpeg2C9D05EC-628D-4457-9C50-B8A6170A3E2D.thumb.jpeg.4e2a97dd54912903a59c15b99a9ae320.jpeg479FE60C-A6EB-45BB-83CF-B0A22B442F7C.thumb.jpeg.12bcbf222583cb4b296969de62604226.jpeg

• Like 38

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Right now I would love to be able to repeat some cruises.  I used to bicycle a lot (including Baltimore to Montreal many years ago) but haven't for many years.  I greatly support love conquers all.  Ironically, yesterday's sunset photo was from today's port of the day.  Pollard was a very wise man.  I like the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Classic Caesar Salad, and Sauteed Pork Chop as served on MS Prinsendam June 3, 2015.  Doctor's appointment this morning, routine visit with urologist deferred a couple of weeks to not be so close to my surgery.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Tara back home and accepting help

second jabs for superoma’s family

Bi-rnational atrocities coming to public awareness, Kamloops and Tulsa

HorizonChaser1957 second jab appointment

second jabs for ger_77 and DH

Cast in place for Cruising-along’s grandson

Ashburton bridge back in service

Pat’s colonoscopy out of the way

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.   

Guess I slept in a bit this morning.  Last night was one of those nights where I couldn't get to sleep.  Water fitness isn't until 10:00 am today, so it works out.   

Wow, I am sorry to hear about @garlictown's continued problems with her wrist and arm.  I hope the cast doesn't have to stay on too long.  Also, @smitty34877, I'm sorry to hear that Tana's fever has returned.   I hope it is a short lived problem and she continues on the path to good health.  I am thrilled to hear about more and more of us getting those second jabs.   We'll beat this thing!

Today's meal kind of throws me a bit.  What is a porketta?   Even Google was confused on that.

So, I looked at Roasted Pork Loin with gravy.   The kind of gravy wasn't specified and I found that you can have more than one kind.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-roast-with-gravy/Pork-Roast-with-Gravy_exps38666_THHC1997843A09_09_1bC_RMS-6.jpg.ca2878c0fa3a2817420f83a473dafe73.jpg

Or, you can go with an onion gravy.   Sounds good to me!  https://bestrecipebox.com/roast-pork-recipe/

Roast-Pork-Loin-with-Onion-Gravy-3.thumb.jpg.cf1a0df839a3069a87d5242c987ea46b.jpg

Or, here is one last version:   https://iamhomesteader.com/porkroast/

pork-loin-1-705x1024.thumb.jpg.908bbc6e0e017b204e7fc3c669668a7e.jpg

Have a great day, everyone!   Have a great day!   Love one another.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

A slightly different spelling gives us this info, which I think is what today’s recipe is meant to be.

Porchetta (Italian pronunciation: [porˈketta]) is a savory, fatty, and moist boneless pork roast of Italian culinary tradition. The carcass is deboned, arranged carefully stuffed with liver, wild fennel, all fat and skin still on spitted, and/or roasted, traditionally over wood for at least 8 hours. Porchetta is usually heavily salted in addition to being stuffed with garlic, rosemary, fennel, or other herbs, often wild. Porchetta has been selected by the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policy as a prodotto agroalimentare tradizionale (“traditional agricultural-food product”, one of a list of 

but I like your recipes better Debbie

Edited by superoma
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, I say Good morning.  Haven't ridden a bike in decades.  I LOL'd at the Pollard quote.  The meal sounds and looks wonderful.

Dreary day today, the beginning of our rainy season and it is so needed.  Will be great to give our well a break.

Looking forward to all the photo's of today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Continue to stay safe, social distance, and continued wearing of your mask.

White Russian:

Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz (5 parts) Vodka, 1 oz (3 parts) Fresh cream, 2/3 oz (2 parts) Coffee liqueur
Preparation: Pour coffee liqueur and vodka into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice. Float fresh cream on top and stir slowly.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.39.20 AM.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone!  Thank you @richwmnfor our Daily today, @rafinmdfor the Celebration List, and @kazufor our Care/Prayer List.  And to all who post here, thank you for taking the time and getting to know one another.  

Our days of celebration are fun but my favorite is Love Conquers All Day.  There needs to be more love in this world!

Copenhagen is a popular port and I'm happy to have seen it at least 4 times.  Like @daisybertieon our first trip there we stayed in a hotel near the train station and Tivoli Gardens, and it was sooooo tiny there was barely a spot to put our luggage.  Just enough room to walk around the bed!  Our cruise ship cabin felt large in comparison.  My favorite photo from our first day in Copenhagen is Nyhavn which we all probably took one just like it.  I see one already posted!  But this photo made the cover of my cruise photo book.  I love the colors and the beautiful blue sky.enhance

Yesterday I heard news of my sister.  She is usually non verbal now, though if you speak to her she will mumble her brief reply.  It's difficult to understand her.  Her respirations have declined to 4 per minute and that is worrisome.  She no longer eats.  They are having the priest come visit and he will give her Last Rites I would guess.  When I was with her Saturday morning she was speaking clearly although you could tell she was tired.  She had eaten grapes and part of a muffin when I arrived!  My twin had sent along a ziploc bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies and they were delicious.  I offered one to my nephew, and Nancy said "What about me?"  We laughed and said of course you can have one.  She nibbled on it and seemed to enjoy it.  I don't think she's had much if anything to eat since then.  Anyway, after that I texted my son (Nancy is his godmother) and asked if he wanted to FaceTime with Nancy since she was so verbal.  He had been asking about that prior.  So he did FaceTime her and they had a nice chat.  Much love was exchanged between them on that call and I think that's about the last time she's been so awake.  By the time I left for the airport Nancy was dozing off and unable to keep her eyes open long.  She started declining Saturday night.  I'm keeping that morning in my heart.  I don't expect her to last much longer.  It would be a miracle if she did.  🙏

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 2

Good morning all. If the weather clears, I will ride my bike today. We had an all day garden variety rain yesterday. The garden loved it. We have been able to have some endive from the garden along with using some fresh herbs, dill and cilantro and chives. My DH loves his garden and we reap the benefits right into the fall, at which point I don’t want to see another head of endive until spring!

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

.  By the time I left for the airport Nancy was dozing off and unable to keep her eyes open long.  She started declining Saturday night.  I'm keeping that morning in my heart.  I don't expect her to last much longer.  It would be a miracle if she did.  

This is such a difficult time for you, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the visit with her and have such great memories.🙏

M

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you @richwmnfor our Daily today, @rafinmdfor the Celebration List, and @kazufor our Care/Prayer List.  And to all who post here, thank you for taking the time and getting to know one another.  

Our days of celebration are fun but my favorite is Love Conquers All Day.  There needs to be more love in this world!

Copenhagen is a popular port and I'm happy to have seen it at least 4 times.  Like @daisybertieon our first trip there we stayed in a hotel near the train station and Tivoli Gardens, and it was sooooo tiny there was barely a spot to put our luggage.  Just enough room to walk around the bed!  Our cruise ship cabin felt large in comparison.  My favorite photo from our first day in Copenhagen is Nyhavn which we all probably took one just like it.  I see one already posted!  But this photo made the cover of my cruise photo book.  I love the colors and the beautiful blue sky.enhance

Yesterday I heard news of my sister.  She is usually non verbal now, though if you speak to her she will mumble her brief reply.  It's difficult to understand her.  Her respirations have declined to 4 per minute and that is worrisome.  She no longer eats.  They are having the priest come visit and he will give her Last Rites I would guess.  When I was with her Saturday morning she was speaking clearly although you could tell she was tired.  She had eaten grapes and part of a muffin when I arrived!  My twin had sent along a ziploc bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies and they were delicious.  I offered one to my nephew, and Nancy said "What about me?"  We laughed and said of course you can have one.  She nibbled on it and seemed to enjoy it.  I don't think she's had much if anything to eat since then.  Anyway, after that I texted my son (Nancy is his godmother) and asked if he wanted to FaceTime with Nancy since she was so verbal.  He had been asking about that prior.  So he did FaceTime her and they had a nice chat.  Much love was exchanged between them on that call and I think that's about the last time she's been so awake.  By the time I left for the airport Nancy was dozing off and unable to keep her eyes open long.  She started declining Saturday night.  I'm keeping that morning in my heart.  I don't expect her to last much longer.  It would be a miracle if she did.  🙏

Prayers for you and your family. Such a difficult time but I am glad you were able to see her and talk to her.

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@StLouisCruisersI can’t like your post but know you and your family are in my prayers. 

I understand.  I appreciate all the prayers from everyone.  You are all so kind.

6 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

This is such a difficult time for you, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the visit with her and have such great memories.🙏

M

Thank God I was able to travel there to see her.  The "kids" let me have as much time as I wanted because Nancy and I are so close.  The girls texted me that their Mom had told them Sandi is like my angel.  OMG, NO she is the angel!   Always thinking of someone else and not herself.  I love her so much!

3 minutes ago, superoma said:

Prayers for you and your family. Such a difficult time but I am glad you were able to see her and talk to her.

Thank you and I really appreciate your kind words.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I actually slack off in my cruising in June and July and will be offering a lot of repeats from the same cruise and slightly alternative dates.  Today's sunrise is from my 2015 Prinsendam back to back and June 3 was turnaround day in Ijmuiden:

dawn0603.jpg

Roy

• Like 30

I visited Copenhagen on the Prinsendam.  We shared the port with the EurodamL

eurodam1.jpg

My tour was a canal and bus tour.  One of the sights was the opera house viewed from across a wide canal:

opera.jpg

A local landmark is a mermaid statue.  I saw it on the tour but the best view was from the Elegant Explorer as we left town:

mermaid2.jpg

Roy

• Like 30

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We haven't ridden bikes in forever, forever!  Love the fact that it's love conquers all day - something that newlyweds need to remember when things get tough.  

@StLouisCruisers, my heart goes out to you and your family; I'm just glad you had your time together with your sister and came home with good memories.  Please know that I join this community in prayer for a peaceful passing when her time comes.

I didn't sleep well at all last night and it wasn't from my 2nd jab; I learned last night that my favourite uncle is in the hospital with Covid and is not expected to survive.  He's 90 and a couple of weeks ago, went in with a bladder infection; two days after his release from hospital, he was diagnosed with Covid and back he went.  Apparently the entire ward he was in was infected and they all subsequently returned to the hospital.  I spoke with my cousin last night and in her words "the clan is gathering tonight", so I'm not sure if he made it through the night or not.  Sad, because he was the first person I met from my birth family; he welcomed me into the family as if I was his own.

I didn't end up making the couscous and chicken last night, as DH and I went for a ride in the topless car and ended up stopping for burgers and ice cream on the way home.  Today's going to be even hotter (possibly 36C), so I'm going to get the chicken baked early this morning on the deck and have it refrigerated for tonight's attempt at the couscous and chicken dish.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

In 2016 when we visited Copenhagen on the Prinsendam we got out early and actually got a photo of The Little Mermaid with no tourist trying to climb on the statue.  (What is wrong with some people?)enhance

After the statue, we passed by the beautiful St. Alban's Church.enhance

We decided to go on a canal boat tour which is a good way to spend an hour and see many of the sights of Copenhagen from a different angle.  It was great and I recommend it if you've been to Copenhagen often and have done other types of tours.  You even get to see the Little Mermaid statue from the water with the crowds of people.  There's one of those silly tourists.enhance

Or you could see the Opera Houseenhance

You can see the spiral of the Church of Our Saviour over this roofline.enhance

If your photo of the church spire is not the best you can go on the internet and find one a professional photographer took.  Quite a difference!  But isn't it pretty?

church-of-our-savior-copenhagen-denmark-jon-berghoff.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1