October onwards cruisers…

ToxM

23 hours ago, Glitterati said:

Just seen the video!!!

On Azura and Britannia in Dec/Feb respectively! 

Big sigh of relief

And just received cabin allocation for my Iona seacation! Score! 

When is your seacation ?  On the 21st August one, and we haven't had an allocation yet.

My TA tells me that P&O have reduced the balance payment period for cruises commencing up to 4th Oct to 30 days, BUT they are still wanting payment 90 days before for the following cruises.  I have suggested that since they are P&Os top agent their boss needs to get them to have a re-think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My TA tells me that P&O have reduced the balance payment period for cruises commencing up to 4th Oct to 30 days, BUT they are still wanting payment 90 days before for the following cruises.  I have suggested that since they are P&Os top agent their boss needs to get them to have a re-think.

That's very surprising. I'd hope that they see sense and reduce the payment lead time accordingly.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

That's very surprising. I'd hope that they see sense and reduce the payment lead time accordingly.

I agree, my November cruise requiring vaccination etc is a plus point but having to pay for it in August when the double glazing bill needs paying is irritating. I might well still cancel and spend the money on something else.

1 hour ago, jmcd1969 said:

When is your seacation ?  On the 21st August one, and we haven't had an allocation yet.

Not until September. 

However I was mistaken- my travel partner said it had been allocated but when we went on the personaliser it just said deck location. 

I imagine they will appear 30 days before 

21 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Not until September. 

However I was mistaken- my travel partner said it had been allocated but when we went on the personaliser it just said deck location. 

I imagine they will appear 30 days before 

Cheers for the response.

So I filled out the form on the website for a refund within about an hour of getting the email regarding the cancellation. I got my cancellation invoice a few hours later. I wonder how long it will take for the refund to be sorted out - it’s for a considerable sum. 

I am sure there are unfortunate others who have much more experience of this part of the process than me, would appreciate your experience. 

It’s going to towards paying for next year’s jollies. I had a huge search yesterday but just don’t feel confident enough to book anything that I honestly think will go. 

Regarding P&O recent email on taking a lateral flow rest at the terminal prior to boarding I query what happens if you fail the test.
My cruise is on Azura on 10th Dec and I would be then stranded in Barbados with family and no booked flight home.

Surely the test should be done at the airport prior to flying

29 minutes ago, Fossie13 said:

Regarding P&O recent email on taking a lateral flow rest at the terminal prior to boarding I query what happens if you fail the test.
My cruise is on Azura on 10th Dec and I would be then stranded in Barbados with family and no booked flight home.

I would have thought they would have tested you before the flight by the airline which is the case now.

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Just out of interest what time scale would you suggest about when payment should be due, we have a cruise booked for later on in the month.

1 hour ago, Fossie13 said:

The test is for when you leave the UK, as I understand it. The test regime for your return will depend on government policy at the time.

You will have to be fully insured for covid, including repatriation and they are being very strict about checking that this year as you may know.  Hence I suspect any problems arriving at the ship, or indeed during the cruise, would be an insurance matter.

You need to have proof of a negative test prior to arrival in Barbados currently. 

26 minutes ago, ToxM said:

You need to have proof of a negative test prior to arrival in Barbados currently. 

Do you think there will be a requirement to have a negative test for each island if you want to go ashore?
Just wondering as it usually has to be within 72 hours and on a 14 night cruise that could be quite a few tests.

If so who would be responsible for the costs?

Michelle

I t doesn't say a proof of a negative test is required on leaving the UK but that it is P&O policy to test at the cruise terminal as per latest statement from them.

Who in their right mind would fly to Barbados and then risk  being refused embarkment.

I have yet to see anything regarding testing at the airport.If so could someone please enlighten me.

16 minutes ago, Fossie13 said:

I t doesn't say a proof of a negative test is required on leaving the UK but that it is P&O policy to test at the cruise terminal as per latest statement from them.

Who in their right mind would fly to Barbados and then risk  being refused embarkment.

I have yet to see anything regarding testing at the airport.If so could someone please enlighten me.

The negative test is a requirement to enter Barbados currently. 

29 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Do you think there will be a requirement to have a negative test for each island if you want to go ashore?
Just wondering as it usually has to be within 72 hours and on a 14 night cruise that could be quite a few tests.

Michelle

No idea, sounds like a logistical nightmare, but you raise a very valid question!

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Just out of interest what time scale would you suggest about when payment should be due, we have a cruise booked for later on in the month.

If P&O are genuinely concerned about their customers, then until things stabilise and get back to some sort of normality, then I think 30 days should be standard. That should enable passengers to make a more reasoned decision about whether they are happy about the proposed cruise experience.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If P&O are genuinely concerned about their customers, then until things stabilise and get back to some sort of normality, then I think 30 days should be standard. That should enable passengers to make a more reasoned decision about whether they are happy about the proposed cruise experience.

Totally agree with you but the problem would be how could P&O budget if they have no guarantee how many people are sailing till 30 days before, short term because of the numbers involved they can cope.

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

Totally agree with you but the problem would be how could P&O budget if they have no guarantee how many people are sailing till 30 days before, short term because of the numbers involved they can cope.

They, and other cruise lines, have been doing this with payment 30 days before sailing, so it can be done.

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

The negative test is a requirement to enter Barbados currently. 

If you fly on a chartered service then you don't actually enter Barbados on your outward journey.

That said, I still expect the lateral flow tests to be done at the UK airport.

Edited by molecrochip

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

If a test is required, I assume P&O will simply not stop at that particular port. Could make for a lot of sea days!

No-one knows at this time what the situation will be in November, IMHO a  test for every island would not be viable and in this situation surely the cruise would be cancelled. Agree that with the uncertainty that the 30 day payment terms should be in force. Currently we have to pay our final balance for our January 1st cruise before the ship has even left the UK on its TA, so would feel much happier with 30 day terms.

Edited by bee-ess

10 hours ago, ToxM said:

So I filled out the form on the website for a refund within about an hour of getting the email regarding the cancellation. I got my cancellation invoice a few hours later. I wonder how long it will take for the refund to be sorted out - it’s for a considerable sum. 

I am sure there are unfortunate others who have much more experience of this part of the process than me, would appreciate your experience. 

It’s going to towards paying for next year’s jollies. I had a huge search yesterday but just don’t feel confident enough to book anything that I honestly think will go. 

Good news is that the timelines around refunds do appear to have improved from the first lockdown (famous last words)...

Now, even on P&O's terms, they have an automated system for refund processing and additional staffing, so my expectation will be around 14 days (reference the package tour regulations).  The cancellation invoices are coming out much more quickly now (i.e., I had mine before the refund request).

Bad news is that there appears to be no rhyme nor reason to the order (i.e., it's not by ship, itinerary, amount, cabin grade or anything else).  To the best of my knowledge, it is simply when the form is processed by the team collecting them.  From experience, there is zero appreciation by customer services about any delays, however long they are, or however badly they mess up.  So it's a question of patience, and if you do get fed up, remember to use the number to book a new cruise to check on progress. 

The refund will be back to your method of original payment.  The process is smoother (mostly) for direct bookings.

In fairness, although delays of four months or more were known in the first batch, I have heard of more recent cancellations receiving refunds within 2-4 weeks.  The issue is that this is the largest block of en masse cancellations P&O have done, so volume will be an issue.  But fingers crossed for you (and me!) that it won't be as silly as it was in March 2020.