2 PAX ON CELEBRITY MILLENIUM TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID

mcrcruiser

4 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

The most remarkable thing about this news, and the reactions to it, are the number of people who are doubting these folks were actually vaccinated. The Celebrity board has the same comments.

A LOT of misplaced faith in that vaccine and a whole lot of misunderstanding about what it can and cannot do.

As I have previously stated you have to verify. I had an acquaintance tell me yesterday there is not a chance of him getting the vaccine. He has had a friend in the hospital for a month with Covid who got their vaccination last October. I told him he needed to recheck that because unless they were part of a clinical trial, the first vaccines were not administered until mid December. 

I hope these people were vaccinated. That proves the Science. You still have a chance of getting the virus but your illness will not be serious. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

The most remarkable thing about this news, and the reactions to it, are the number of people who are doubting these folks were actually vaccinated. The Celebrity board has the same comments.

A LOT of misplaced faith in that vaccine and a whole lot of misunderstanding about what it can and cannot do.

I have no opinion about whether or not they were vaccinated because obviously, I have no way of knowing right now.  However, I cannot blame people's skepticism.  After all, this is a day-and-age where people lie about their pets in order to get them on to airplanes and cruise ships, so I do not put lying about vaccinations past some people.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Actually the fact they were asymmetric makes it more likely they were vaccinated, not full proof but that’s one advantage of the vaccine.

Yes, and in addition everyone tested who had contact with them tested negative, so they were not shedding much virus. That could also be seen as another indicator that they had been vaccinated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Actually the fact they were asymmetric makes it more likely they were vaccinated, not full proof but that’s one advantage of the vaccine.

Not to be a pill, but how could we know whether they had symptoms or not?  Did they post on CC or blog somewhere?   🤔

49 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Not to be a pill, but how could we know whether they had symptoms or not?  Did they post on CC or blog somewhere?   🤔

There are several people on the Celebrity board posting live from the Millennium, as well as others posting live on other sites. 

• Like 2

This sounds selfish, and probably cold, but this incident makes me feel better about sailing with people who are unvaccinated or lie about it. And I am NOT saying the two who tested positive were in either group.
If only those who test positive are quarantined, and only those who are sick (or positive) get kicked off the cruise, I’m good with that. It doesn’t end or ruin anyone else’s cruise. In fact, it opens up previously booked dining options and shore excursions. Kind of a Darwin Awards situation.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, POA1 said:

Not necessarily. 8 players on the NY Yankees tested positive last month and ALL were vaccinated.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/yankees-somehow-have-seven-covid-cases-in-vaccinated-staff.html

Although the MLB is/was investigating this breakthrough case, one thing that they did mention was that the players had all been vaccinated with the J&J one shot vaccine to expedite the players ability to loosen Covid restrictions. Not to bad mouth J & J but it does have a lesser ability to stop the virus from causing positive tests. The people affected may be asymptomatic, as these passengers were, or significantly less serious symptoms. Sooooo... the point of my rambling is that I wonder if the 2 people on board had J & J vaccine or another vaccine with lower efficacy and just got a mild case and that the whole idea of vaccine not working is a non-issue. In fact, it did work, just not as well as some vaccines at blocking the virus, but in keeping the infection minor.

PS If they were from Holland as someone indicted, like the Yankees they likely had the J &J vaccine from what I have read. 

6 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Although the MLB is/was investigating this breakthrough case, one thing that they did mention was that the players had all been vaccinated with the J&J one shot vaccine to expedite the players ability to loosen Covid restrictions. Not to bad mouth J & J but it does have a lesser ability to stop the virus from causing positive tests. The people affected may be asymptomatic, as these passengers were, or significantly less serious symptoms. Sooooo... the point of my rambling is that I wonder if the 2 people on board had J & J vaccine or another vaccine with lower efficacy and just got a mild case and that the whole idea of vaccine not working is a non-issue. In fact, it did work, just not as well as some vaccines at blocking the virus, but in keeping the infection minor.

PS If they were from Holland as someone indicted, like the Yankees they likely had the J &J vaccine from what I have read. 

I have several friends in Holland and they received the Astra Zeneca vaccine early on. Their adult children are getting the Pfizer vaccine next week. I have not heard them mention the J & J vaccine once. It is quite possible these two pax were from the Dutch side of St, Maarten. I have no idea what vaccine is available there.

3 minutes ago, Laminator said:

I have several friends in Holland and they received the Astra Zeneca vaccine early on. Their adult children are getting the Pfizer vaccine next week. I have not heard them mention the J & J vaccine once. It is quite possible these two pax were from the Dutch side of St, Maarten. I have no idea what vaccine is available there.

Ah, I had seen AZ but read that Holland was going to use J & J after they pulled AZ so who knows?? Just interesting that the Yankees used J & J and had several cases following vaccination...so I may have put 2 and 2 together to get 5. 🙂

Edited by mtnlvr53

36 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Ah, I had seen AZ but read that Holland was going to use J & J after they pulled AZ so who knows?? Just interesting that the Yankees used J & J and had several cases following vaccination...so I may have put 2 and 2 together to get 5. 🙂

I will ask them tomorrow. I know they were waiting 3 months between the Astra Zeneca shots!

1 minute ago, Laminator said:

I will ask them tomorrow. I know they were waiting 3 months between the Astra Zeneca shots!

Someone on the Celebrity board says that the infected folks aren't Dutch (and apparently they sat near them at dinner) soooo it just goes to show how things start to be like playing "telephone" game.  But it would be interesting to know if the affected people took J & J.  Good news is that they seem well and the vaccine appears to have done its job of keeping people from getting the disease.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

This sounds selfish, and probably cold, but this incident makes me feel better about sailing with people who are unvaccinated or lie about it. And I am NOT saying the two who tested positive were in either group.
If only those who test positive are quarantined, and only those who are sick (or positive) get kicked off the cruise, I’m good with that. It doesn’t end or ruin anyone else’s cruise. In fact, it opens up previously booked dining options and shore excursions. Kind of a Darwin Awards situation.

It doesn’t make me feel better about sailing with unvaccinated because if there are enough onboard I don’t think it would just be quarantine.  Given the higher likelihood of spread with unvaccinated I believe you have a higher likelihood of early cruise termination.  Now it does make me feel better about cruising as long as everyone is vaccinated.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

There were multiple stories in the media that they were asymptotic.

11 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Great take on the Millennium situtaion:

That is a good explanation but….the commentator makes a good point.  If both passengers are vaccinated and only roughly 5% of vaccinated people can contract the virus, what are the odds that they are both in the same cabin.  I would love to know if they got one of the vaccines with lower effectiveness or if they went off the reservation and had non-prescribed intervals between shots as some countries have done.  Hopefully more info will come out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Although the MLB is/was investigating this breakthrough case, one thing that they did mention was that the players had all been vaccinated with the J&J one shot vaccine to expedite the players ability to loosen Covid restrictions.

To be absolutely correct, only ONE Yankee player, not players, tested positive. And he had mutltiple negative tests that allowed him to come back to the field after less than the 10 days he was originally supposed to be suspended. In addition to the ONE player, two coaches, and I'm not sure whether it was five or six of the travelling staff also had breakthrough case. But again, not multiple players, just ONE.

I do agree with the parts of your post that mention that they had the less efficacious approved vaccine, Johnson & Johnson.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

There were multiple stories in the media that they were asymptotic.

Meh...this sounds kinda like the telephone game that @mtnlvr53 mentioned.  I'm trying to imagine how on earth fellow passengers would know what these two passengers were experiencing, and then there's the possibility they would downplay symptoms anyhow because they want to get the heck off the ship.  

Really, we keyboard pundits (me included!) are just guessing at all this stuff. 

In any case, I feel very sorry for Celebrity that they have to deal with this.  😞

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Meh...this sounds kinda like the telephone game that @mtnlvr53 mentioned.  I'm trying to imagine how on earth fellow passengers would know what these two passengers were experiencing, and then there's the possibility they would downplay symptoms anyhow because they want to get the heck off the ship.  

Really, we keyboard pundits (me included!) are just guessing at all this stuff. 

In any case, I feel very sorry for Celebrity that they have to deal with this.  😞

I believe it was communicated by the Captain in his announcement to the passengers.

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm trying to imagine how on earth fellow passengers would know what these two passengers were experiencing....  

The news of the 2 passengers being asymptomatic came from Royal Caribbean Group’s Press Release: 

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/143/celebrity-millennium-update/

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

So here is how the media lie. Marketwatch.com leads with a click-bait headline saying it is Royal Caribbean, implying a second cruise ship infection...until you read the article and discover RC owns Celebrity.
I called them out in a comment on their sensationalist click-bait headline ...and they deleted my comment.
Believe nothing that you read.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/two-vaccinated-royal-caribbean-cruise-passengers-test-positive-for-covid-19-11623442162?utm

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I have no opinion about whether or not they were vaccinated because obviously, I have no way of knowing right now.  However, I cannot blame people's skepticism.  After all, this is a day-and-age where people lie about their pets in order to get them on to airplanes and cruise ships, so I do not put lying about vaccinations past some people.  

Well placed skepticism is one thing, and I agree with your points because we do see this behavior quite a bit in society now.  But, hundreds of posts across various boards do not have any reasonable skeptical tone.  Far too many are downright nasty, and those that "bug" me the most are the people who comment about banning cruises altogether, saying things like cruises are petri dishes, and have made ridiculous comments like those two infected people were obvious anti-vaxxers.  It seems that some people following these cruise boards are not cruisers at all, but more like trolls. 

• Like 5