The Daily for Friday Jun 18, 2021

richwmn

Today is also National Mascot Day.  So I thought I'd post a photo of our lovely mascot Taima leading the Seattle Seahawks out of the tunnel.  FYI, Taima is one of only two live mascots that actually lead their team out of the tunnel.  The other one is Thunder, the Denver Broncos palomino.

Taima - Seahawk Mascot & Patient Rights - Paris Insurance Services

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 24

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

B01624D7-EF00-4B44-8425-01C2201EBD4A.jpeg

I love the way they serve a Greek salad with the large slab of Feta cheese, rather than crumbling it in the way we usually do.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16

54 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We had a wonderful surprise yesterday. On the way back to Chilliwack we stopped in at DH’s favourite restaurant in Surrey. There was a vaccination center across the road, with a big sign saying walk in appointments available. We went to check it out, and they were taking standbys for extra doses. The priority was first doses, but there was space for a limited number of second doses, open to those with a first dose eight or more weeks earlier. My first dose was eight weeks to the day! We had a bit of a wait, but not long. So now both of us are fully vaccinated with both shots! While they were entering us into the system, they cancelled our existing appointments so others booking can pick them up. Today I’m a bit tired, and my throat is tickling, but that’s all. I’m so pleased!

Happy Friday, and we’re one step closer to rejoining our BHB’s!

Wonderful news, Laura!

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Wonderful news, Laura!

I’m really relieved. My appointment wasn’t until July, and yesterday they announced that the Pfizer supply to Canada would be lower than expected in July. DH had an appointment for today, but they were sending him to the clinic in the Indigenous Cultural Center. They said it was fine, since it’s in the middle of town, and anyone can go there. When I made my appointment, the agent said it wasn’t possible. She checked with her supervisor, and he said they’ve been told the Indigenous Center is turning away people with appointments if they aren’t indigenous, so they can no longer book people there. We had no idea who to believe, and this nicely solved the problem.

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m really relieved. My appointment wasn’t until July, and yesterday they announced that the Pfizer supply to Canada would be lower than expected in July. DH had an appointment for today, but they were sending him to the clinic in the Indigenous Cultural Center. They said it was fine, since it’s in the middle of town, and anyone can go there. When I made my appointment, the agent said it wasn’t possible. She checked with her supervisor, and he said they’ve been told the Indigenous Center is turning away people with appointments if they aren’t indigenous, so they can no longer book people there. We had no idea who to believe, and this nicely solved the problem.

That is great news and a good way to solve the problem about who to believe.

• Like 9

@Overhead Fred just read that the border will be closed until the end of July. I really hope you can make it over in august. If that becomes possible and if you cross at Detroit please let me know. You would be more than welcome to break your trip up at our house in Windsor.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

There was a vaccination center across the road, with a big sign saying walk in appointments available. We went to check it out, and they were taking standbys for extra doses. The priority was first doses, but there was space for a limited number of second doses, open to those with a first dose eight or more weeks earlier. My first dose was eight weeks to the day! We had a bit of a wait, but not long. So now both of us are fully vaccinated with both shots! While they were entering us into the system, they cancelled our existing appointments so others booking can pick them up. Today I’m a bit tired, and my throat is tickling, but that’s all. I’m so pleased!

Yippee!  👏 👏 

Hopefully you just have some fatigue and it passes quickly.  🤞 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yippee!  👏 👏 

Hopefully you just have some fatigue and it passes quickly.  🤞 

I have some fatigue and a very slightly elevated temperature. If I have to spend a day relaxing with a drink and staring at the flower garden, that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for the good of society.😉

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I have some fatigue and a very slightly elevated temperature. If I have to spend a day relaxing with a drink and staring at the flower garden, that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for the good of society.😉

Great minds think alike.  If I have to sacrifice next week in the same way, I will do the same 😆 😇🤣

• Like 15

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Friday!  I haven't been able to read the thread today, I've been very busy getting ready for our family company today at 3:30pm.  I just wanted to take a moment to post my pictures of Katakolon from our May 2001Med Cruise on the Eurodam.  Unfortunately, I do not have very many.  I accidentally dropped my camera in Malta and had to resort to disposable cameras so had limited picture capacity and poor picture quality. 

We took the tour that went to Olympia and toured the museum first:

019_16A.thumb.JPG.2633f43f7a5415d6a79a603a70537c42.JPG

018_15A.thumb.JPG.d5b5276ae58709c68c39b2d0747e9b11.JPG

017_14A.thumb.JPG.ac292dfd5f1df3066be99067ed7c76d7.JPG

Then outside:

015_12A.thumb.JPG.1d9e3fc48b8b19a1f18841e362f9bcc3.JPG

014_11A.thumb.JPG.348619eb55e4f43a1a465b04ae0b97aa.JPG

013_10A.thumb.JPG.3b20a1db7df1c95f8cf12f222fd6000b.JPG

012_9A.thumb.JPG.3208d99c3deb68118d7cd7b4f7c5e238.JPG

011_8A.thumb.JPG.99971b9e90c0f298f66e2254f217639b.JPG

010_7A.thumb.JPG.bfe1f7b5f0fc75be8aced60aea63b19a.JPG

I believe that is the archway to the field just about in the middle of this picture:

009_6A.thumb.JPG.d62135742024ffd5340a7cb4857d076f.JPG

008_5A.thumb.JPG.5b743ea1e68cb56520f241c01dccdd0d.JPG

007_4A.thumb.JPG.d2a716e02ce873fa996a926dbdd4aa8b.JPG

The Eurodam:

006_3A.thumb.JPG.c984e2d954813c6990b2333133212c39.JPG

003_0A.thumb.JPG.ff9dec8d2cd3049c5665b0fb06f2200f.JPG

We decided to eat at one of the outdoor cafes:

004_1A.thumb.JPG.8a7ceedb940320eecc876403d3972640.JPG

005_2A.thumb.JPG.d0c50cf1242a30548d21ea1cdcf04af2.JPG

Have a great day everyone!  I'll read all the posts later after our company leaves.  Prayers to those on the Care list.

Sharon

• Like 26

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The priority was first doses, but there was space for a limited number of second doses, open to those with a first dose eight or more weeks earlier. My first dose was eight weeks to the day! We had a bit of a wait, but not long. So now both of us are fully vaccinated with both shots!

Congratulations on your second shot!

Not sure how it’s referred to up North, but in the States one is (currently) considered “fully vaccinated” when immunity “ripens”, 2 weeks (14 days) after the completing shot. (2nd dose for Pfizer and Moderna, single dose for J&J).

I think the media has taken the term and run with it, using it to cover more than the precise term initially meant.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11

Good afternoon friends,

We were up at 3 am today and out the door by 4 am.  We arrived at the airport in St. Louis at 1 pm central time just as our son's flight arrived from Detroit.  Picked him up and we grabbed a bag of food to eat at the hotel.  So we made it this far safely and it was helped along with the good wishes and prayers of the many folks here.  Thank you so much!  We are all a little tired to say the least.

Now suddenly my daughter has decided she didn't feel right missing the proceedings and is driving here from Cincinnati at this moment.  So it's a good thing son reserved a large room with beds for up to 6!  Hoping she arrives here safely now.  She has her in-law's 50th wedding anniversary dinner Sunday evening.  Plus her poor cavapoo Gracie is ill and is staying at the vet hospital today getting IV fluids and antibiotics.  Upper respiratory issue in addition to pancreatitis!  Have you ever heard of that in a dog?  Anyway her instructions to her DH are to call her if Gracie takes a turn for the worse and she'll come running back home.  400 miles each way!  

It's 100F here right now so I'm in no hurry to leave the room today but DS wants to check out the soccer fields for next week's soccer tournament so we may do that when traffic dies down.  

Like many of you we were in Katakolon (Prinsendam 2014) and stayed around town.  But if we go back I might try seeing Olympia, even finding out how to take that local bus @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Pretty little town.enhance

DH enjoyed a beer somewhere along here and I enjoyed the wifi. 

Hugs back to all of my new friends here on the Daily for your constant support.  I will check in sometime tomorrow night.  After the services tomorrow we are having dinner with my two precious nieces and their boys, just our small group.  I will be interested to see if the visitation tomorrow is anything like when Nancy's late husband died in 2016 (a heart aneurysm and died within a minute or two of suffering it).  The funeral home had people lined up out of the room, down the hall and out the front door for three solid hours.  All waiting to personally speak to her and the sons/daughters.  I've never seen anything like it.  A much loved couple and kids with many friends as well.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisersThinking of you this weekend as you celebrate your sister.

@cat shepardLove Iceland, and am looking forward to hearing and seeing pictures about your trip.

The Perlan is an interesting place to visit, and has an aurora experience.  Make sure you head outside for the view.  I have seen the Northern Lights in Northern Ontario in the summer, so maybe you will see them. Fingers crossed.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:46 AM, zgscl said:

If this passes it will be very interesting to see. On the east coast I think it would be virtually unaffected as Canada is the highlight of Canada New England cruises. 

On the west coast you would almost certainly lose most of if not all of the Hawaii cruises plus some of the Alaska cruises. That being said Victoria is very popular and ideally situated for a short evening stop on the way back to Seattle as is Vancouver. Also I don’t think Seattle has the capacity to take all of the cruises that started or ended in Vancouver pre-pandemic. I still think Vancouver and Victoria would see quite a bit of traffic in the Alaska & west coast cruise season both because of location and popularity. 

Ensenada  on the other hand would probably lose a lot more. Also the US west coast would probably lose most of their Hawaii trips but could potentially gain on coastal and Alaska cruises. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Have you ever heard of that in a dog? 

Unfortunately it is very common.  My daughter is a Veterinarian Technician and she see it very often at the Vet Clinic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon friends,

We were up at 3 am today and out the door by 4 am.  We arrived at the airport in St. Louis at 1 pm central time just as our son's flight arrived from Detroit.  Picked him up and we grabbed a bag of food to eat at the hotel.  So we made it this far safely and it was helped along with the good wishes and prayers of the many folks here.  Thank you so much!  We are all a little tired to say the least.

Now suddenly my daughter has decided she didn't feel right missing the proceedings and is driving here from Cincinnati at this moment.  So it's a good thing son reserved a large room with beds for up to 6!  Hoping she arrives here safely now.  She has her in-law's 50th wedding anniversary dinner Sunday evening.  Plus her poor cavapoo Gracie is ill and is staying at the vet hospital today getting IV fluids and antibiotics.  Upper respiratory issue in addition to pancreatitis!  Have you ever heard of that in a dog?  Anyway her instructions to her DH are to call her if Gracie takes a turn for the worse and she'll come running back home.  400 miles each way!  

It's 100F here right now so I'm in no hurry to leave the room today but DS wants to check out the soccer fields for next week's soccer tournament so we may do that when traffic dies down.  

Like many of you we were in Katakolon (Prinsendam 2014) and stayed around town.  But if we go back I might try seeing Olympia, even finding out how to take that local bus @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Pretty little town.enhance

DH enjoyed a beer somewhere along here and I enjoyed the wifi. 

Hugs back to all of my new friends here on the Daily for your constant support.  I will check in sometime tomorrow night.  After the services tomorrow we are having dinner with my two precious nieces and their boys, just our small group.  I will be interested to see if the visitation tomorrow is anything like when Nancy's late husband died in 2016 (a heart aneurysm and died within a minute or two of suffering it).  The funeral home had people lined up out of the room, down the hall and out the front door for three solid hours.  All waiting to personally speak to her and the sons/daughters.  I've never seen anything like it.  A much loved couple and kids with many friends as well.

Sandi, I’m glad you made it safely to St. Louis.  

If I don’t do this now, I’ll forget it.  The locals have a regular big bus that they sell tickets to  Olympia and back.  You can’t miss them as they outside the first group of buildings across from the dock.  In 2019 it was €8-10 round trip.  My advice is to check with several “sellers” as they have different prices for the same bus.  You need to be off the ship early.  Our bus left at 9 am and they picked us up in Olympia at noon.  This does not include the entrance fee to the museum or the grounds.  This beat the ship tour prices and the €90 to rent a car.  The two ours in Olympia was plenty of time for us

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Late, again.  Good evening!  
We have sailed to Katakolon twice, both times on Rotterdam VI.  First time was May, 2001, our first cruise on a BHB, and our second in October, 2019, our last cruise on Rotterdam VI, sigh.  

• Like 8

Plus her poor cavapoo Gracie is ill and is staying at the vet hospital today getting IV fluids and antibiotics.  Upper respiratory issue in addition to pancreatitis!  Have you ever heard of that in a dog?  Anyway her instructions to her DH are to call her if Gracie takes a turn for the worse and she'll come running back home.

Sadly, I have.  My kazu had puppy strangles when he was a puppy.  It’s very rare but of course we were the lucky ones.  The rest of his litter escaped.  Upper respiratory, pancreatitis, swollen throat and steroids.  He was under my care for 8 weeks with 3 times a week to the vet to check.  He wasn’t allowed to leave the property as he had no immune system.  

The blessing was he was young and it was caught fast.  An older dog?  Yup, Fox had that and it was really tricky but worked out.  Prayers for Gracie 🙏🏻. Our fur babies are part of the family and any illness is trying. 😔 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tbay said:

@cat shepardLove Iceland, and am looking forward to hearing and seeing pictures about your trip.

The Perlan is an interesting place to visit, and has an aurora experience.  Make sure you head outside for the view.  I have seen the Northern Lights in Northern Ontario in the summer, so maybe you will see them. Fingers crossed.

Thank you so much. The Perlan is one of the places we have bookmarked. Would be thrilled to see them live!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Glad you made it safely Sandi. We will be with you in spirit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tbay said:

@StLouisCruisersThinking of you this weekend as you celebrate your sister.

Thank you so much!  I appreciate it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bdrcole said:

Unfortunately it is very common.  My daughter is a Veterinarian Technician and she see it very often at the Vet Clinic.

Hoping Gracie will be able to get over this.  They are so sweet to her there - feeding her by hand like a little princess.

• Like 5