Dining with Ship Officer

Oxo

23 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Whatever happened to the perk of Dining with a Ship Officer? That use to be a perk. We really enjoyed it! 

Usually a perk now for some high-level suites.  Maybe Zeniths?

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Usually a perk now for some high-level suites.  Maybe Zeniths?

Thanks! I am sure others miss that perk. We are Elite+ and will never become Zenith. Too much of a spread between E+ 750 and Z 3,000.

We cruise other cruise lines. 

Stay Safe! 

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

Thanks! I am sure others miss that perk. We are Elite+ and will never become Zenith. Too much of a spread between E+ 750 and Z 3,000.

We cruise other cruise lines. 

Stay Safe! 

I was invited in the past as E+ but not for a very long time now.

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I was invited in the past as E+ but not for a very long time now.

We were too. We were even invited as Elite years ago. So,  over the years it moved from Elite to Elite+ and now Z.

Some cruise lines (MSC) give Specialty Restaurants for their perks.

However, X has really cut back on their perks.

LOL--- What makes dining with a " Ship Officer " a perk ?

By " Ship Officer " it is assumed ( ?? ) they mean Captain, but, from what we were told it could be someone from the GR counter.  Either way, not important to us, and make " small talk " for 2.5 hrs in a formal setting. We do enjoy chatting with any staff member, no matter what their position is.  

• Like 7

The last time we were invited to Dine with a Officer was in 2018 and we had dinner with Staff Captain “Lefty”.  We had a great time.  We have attended about 6 of these events, all interesting.  Some Officers seem to enjoy them, for others it is a part of the job.  Only once were  we in a Suite when we got invited.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- What makes dining with a " Ship Officer " a perk ?

By " Ship Officer " it is assumed ( ?? ) they mean Captain, but, from what we were told it could be someone from the GR counter.  Either way, not important to us, and make " small talk " for 2.5 hrs in a formal setting. We do enjoy chatting with any staff member, no matter what their position is.  

Thanks for your input and opinion. Unless you have experienced it, you can't realize the value of it. 

Shop Officer could be anyone from Captain to any other Officer. 

Everyone has different views and importance. 

Some people would never go on a cruise. LOL

• Like 2

In the past there were three ways one could be invited to a table.  1. The officer could invite the he knew. One HD played table tennis and would often invite those he met at the games. 2. RCL might suggest some VIPs who were to be invited. 3. The Captain's Club Host/Hostess might invite people to the table. The system seems to have changed slightly. Now the top suite passengers are invited.

When there were few Zeniths onboard they were usually invited. The "top cruiser" would normally receive an invitation to dine with the Captain. Now the "top cruiser" will be invited too dine with "an officer". Usually the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Director, Guest Relations Manager  Chief Engineer would host tables, but others may be asked to host especially on longer cruises.

DW and I were usually invited to the tables, but we've noticed a drop off in invitations since there has shift from loyalty to spending. I've met some interesting people at the tables, but really don't miss them.,

Back in January 2019, the CC newsletter indicated dining with senior offices was a special thing for them:

Zenith members that reach 6,000 and 9,000 points will receive a special invitation to dine with one of our Senior Officers on their first sailing after reaching this milestone.

Could it be that they reduced or eliminated this offer for others to make it extra special for Zenith? Or does the "senior" part do that by itself?

6 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Back in January 2019, the CC newsletter indicated dining with senior offices was a special thing for them:

Zenith members that reach 6,000 and 9,000 points will receive a special invitation to dine with one of our Senior Officers on their first sailing after reaching this milestone.

Could it be that they reduced or eliminated this offer for others to make it extra special for Zenith? Or does the "senior" part do that by itself?

On my first cruise as a Zenith I was invited to dine in the private room in Murano with all the Senior Officers. The dinner was arranged by the HD who knew us well.  It was very special to us and one of our best memories.This was the usual way a Zenith was "welcomed into the family". I don't know what they do now.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 3

We used to get invited all the time...virtually every cruise...it started very early on--when we were barely Elite.  We always tried to figure out "Why us?"...and, occasionally we knew why...and it wasn't always the same reason.  Invites were either directed from the office in Miami...or they were at the discretion of the Captains Club Host on the individual ship.  On one cruise, we learned from the CC Hostess that she had taken a liking to us during the Elite Cocktail hour...We usually sat with the same group there...and every one of us were invited during one of the formal nights.  She said the Captain specifically told her he wanted fun, friendly people and she decided our group was just that.  Another cruise, there were only 24 Elite CC members onboard...and three formal nights...and everyone of us got invited on one of those three nights.

They had a reserved large table centered in the MDR solely for this purpose.  They made a big deal of marching us in down the MDR staircase after everyone else was seated...and took a table photograph from the upper level.  Sometimes it was the ship's captain...but often one of the senior officers--like the Ship's Engineer.  On a couple of occasions, we had two officers host.

But all of this went away as traditional dining and formal nights changed.  They used to do this on one of the two traditional seatings and on formal nights only.   But, as people stopped dressing in gowns and tuxedos and eating at predictable times, they dropped it.  They started doing it with less fanfare in one of the specialty restaurants for awhile...For a while, I noticed they were doing it--with much less fanfare as part of a purchased package...but they seem to have dropped that now as well.  I don't see it showing up on the new listing of Zenith benefits either...

6 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

If I paid to go to a luxury hotel and had to eat with the staff I would not be happy!

Servants to some, friends to others. Many of the staff have very interesting backgrounds and experiences., and not just Senior Staff. A Ph.d, a MD, a Engineer, a lawyer, etc. might be serving you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

If I paid to go to a luxury hotel and had to eat with the staff I would not be happy!

With an attitude like that, please don’t come across the pond 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

We used to get invited all the time...virtually every cruise...it started very early on--when we were barely Elite.  We always tried to figure out "Why us?"...and, occasionally we knew why...and it wasn't always the same reason.  Invites were either directed from the office in Miami...or they were at the discretion of the Captains Club Host on the individual ship.  On one cruise, we learned from the CC Hostess that she had taken a liking to us during the Elite Cocktail hour...We usually sat with the same group there...and every one of us were invited during one of the formal nights.  She said the Captain specifically told her he wanted fun, friendly people and she decided our group was just that.  Another cruise, there were only 24 Elite CC members onboard...and three formal nights...and everyone of us got invited on one of those three nights.

They had a reserved large table centered in the MDR solely for this purpose.  They made a big deal of marching us in down the MDR staircase after everyone else was seated...and took a table photograph from the upper level.  Sometimes it was the ship's captain...but often one of the senior officers--like the Ship's Engineer.  On a couple of occasions, we had two officers host.

But all of this went away as traditional dining and formal nights changed.  They used to do this on one of the two traditional seatings and on formal nights only.   But, as people stopped dressing in gowns and tuxedos and eating at predictable times, they dropped it.  They started doing it with less fanfare in one of the specialty restaurants for awhile...For a while, I noticed they were doing it--with much less fanfare as part of a purchased package...but they seem to have dropped that now as well.  I don't see it showing up on the new listing of Zenith benefits either...

It was never a benefit, but a reward for loyalty and friendship. I was thankful that they ended the formal dinner in the MDR, but it has been replaced with a special table in a speciality restaurant. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Don't know or care what you profession is. However, these Offices have big responsibilities, educated and very informative. The event is special as not everyone will be attending. 

I'm English and I'm appalled at your attitude. Are we to uppied to be invited to a meal and conversation.

So, if you were invited to the Queens luncheon, You would not attend as you don't mix with the hired staff. LOL

Cheers, your shout! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Thanks for your input and opinion. Unless you have experienced it, you can't realize the value of it. 

Shop Officer could be anyone from Captain to any other Officer. 

Everyone has different views and importance. 

Some people would never go on a cruise. LOL

It’s a large ship and that is why they offer so many different experiences.  I hope you are able to enjoy this experience next time you sail.

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

We were too. We were even invited as Elite years ago. So,  over the years it moved from Elite to Elite+ and now Z.

Some cruise lines (MSC) give Specialty Restaurants for their perks.

However, X has really cut back on their perks.

While at any Official CC function, I have been known to request an Officer below the Captain to visit us during dining one evening.

Well, needless to say it did happen once and we were the talk of the MDR for the rest of the sailing... as in 'Who are they, that an Office joined them at their table??'

Being vegan helps too, when the comes over to ask how your meals have been...

Loved it!!!

bon voyage

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

We have heard interesting statements come out of the Captain's mouth at these dinners..

I'm not being a "smart ass " -- but, The same " interesting statements " are most likely heard at every meal the Sr Staff attend as part of their job

And, for that to be a " Perk "  --- I just don't " get it " -- ( tongue in cheek )-- even though we graduated to Elite a few years ago.

Between lunch and dinner we've been invited about 10 times out of 20 cruises.  A few were because we were celebrating special occasions, some at the invitation of the CC host or hostess and other times because of the suite we were sailing in.  We found every meal enjoyable and would never turn it down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Traditionally, being invited to dine with the Captain was considered an "honor"...not a perk nor a benefit nor a right nor an obligation.  Some people just don't care...or find it uncomfortable or stuffy and old-fashioned...and they might turn it down.  That was okay.  .  But many of us just took it for what it was--an "honor"...We were being singled out from among the thousands of passengers...for the honor.  Either because the cruise line was telling us they really valued us...perhaps they recognized the number of times or the length of time we cruised with them...perhaps it was just that someone at the cruise line had a special reason to honor us...perhaps we just impressed someone on the ship during that sailing.   But whatever it was, we just saw it in the traditional sense--it was a one time per cruise special honor.  And an interesting experience.  We never needed to be honored...but neither would we turn it down.  It was just one of those experiences on a cruise which you might be lucky to have.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1