The Daily for Saturday Jun 26, 2021

richwmn

Good day all. Busy few days behind me so have read but really not posted much. We have been to key west several times only once on a cruise ship. Have always enjoyed that drive to the keys. We first went with our daughters in 1982 during spring break. (Mid March) we were there for the blessing of the shrimp fleet and later had fresh shrimp down on the dock. Daughters still remember that trip with great fondness, especially the shrimp.

we have a break from the rain for a couple of hours but more thunderstorms predicted for later. We had almost 3 inches of rain yesterday and I have water standing on my lawn. 

• Like 18

@mamaofamiHappy Birthday!  Celebrate yourself today.

Thanks to all who contribute to running this site. 

I have great memories of being in a canoe on the lake, early in the morning with my Dad, and the loons.

Today's recipe looks very good. I hope I have an appointment booked with my hairdresser. They can open here on June 30.  Can't wait.

• Like 14

Thank Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Great collection of days today, although I haven’t been in a canoe.  Forgiveness can be hard to do, and forgetting is even harder. 

I had a busy day yesterday and didn’t make it to the Daily. Started with a hair appointment, yay to beauticians. I love mine and consider her a friend also. Craig and my DM also go to her so it’s a family affair.  Afterward I went grocery shopping, came home and put everything away and then picked up DM for lunch. I ended up with a headache later, probably not enough water. A good nights sleep took care of the headache. 

Wow, today’s meal suggestion is something I would love. I’d have to tweak it because I can only get frozen lobster but I have everything else. Maybe tomorrow. 

We were in Key West on the Nieuw Amsterdam January 2015. The cruise itself wasn’t a favorite, too many odd things happened including Craig losing his iPhone and an excursion we refer to as “The Ferry From Hell”, but we really enjoyed Key West and I would love to go back.  I’ll look for pictures. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22

Howdy Dailyites!

I've been so missing. I pretty much check in on my roll calls and check out various stuff here and there but haven't done a ton on CC otherwise.

Hope everyone is well and looking forwards to being back on cruise ships hopefully within the next 6-9 months.

Happy Birthday @mamaofami!!!

Thoughts and prayers to all those on Roy's care list. Congrats to all those celebrating!

We got (or are in the process of) cancelled off the Rotterdam TA as dd can not be vaccinated yet, "too widdle" as she says. Soooo lemons from lemonade and yes indeed there is a pony under that pile of manure... we are doing a road trip through France for 2.5 weeks to use up some of dh's vacation time and finally satiate our wanderlust deprived souls. Should be a fun adventure. I will sure miss meeting the extraordinary bunch of folks on the TA roll call though. It will end up being a huge group. 

Life has been going on as it does. Summer is in full swing and the flowers and the garden are glorious. The mosquitos, not so much. I suppose they feed the bats, of which we have loads. Otherwise the unofficial TN State Bird can take a flying leap!

We already have an abundance of green tomatoes just waiting for that July heat to turn into that most sublime of Southern US delicacies, home grown tomatoes fresh picked, sliced, salted and peppered. My mouth is watering.

Dh has finally gotten much of his sense of smell and taste back after Covid in January. Woohoo!! Our moms health has not weathered as well through all this but they keep chugging along and are both still independent. Ds is almost done with school and will be choosing which HVAC company he does his paid apprenticeship with very soon. He is so happy. Dd is her delightful rambunctious self, presently enamored of all things fairies and unicorns and anything purple. 

Cheers to you all and hope you have a fantastic day!

• Like 24

Good morning, aol, I must be quick because Pat is itching to get out and have a coffee in the air-conditioned mall.  We are going to be under a "heat dome" for 4 or 5 days, it could go up to 40 celsius or even higher.  We only have fans, which are fine at the moment, as we live under the trees, but...

I'm still re-packagingn chicken and fish from our foray to Costco yesterday, and I should do some watering, too.  I don't know if I willl be allowed.

Happy Birthday, @mamaofami!  Glad you made it home safely, @VMax1700, after a nice break.  Pat is still drooling over the sausages!  

We went to Key West once with DD, before a cruise.  She rented a car and we drove down through the Keys for the day.  Pat had his obligatory Key lime pie!

CIMG2012.thumb.JPG.30b1037986057106a87a9b095166ec89.JPG

CIMG2007.thumb.JPG.f225a9507bec96b70923fce3f21114a9.JPG

P1000014.JPG.cb28f222998493c87c9e0b9286dd468b.JPG

CIMG1999.thumb.JPG.3d16a791df70dcec7ed671dc06d64d8a.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Dd is her delightful rambunctious self, presently enamored of all things fairies and unicorns and anything purple. 

Good to see you posting today. In case you missed it Thursday was International Fairy Day 🧚‍♀️

• Like 9

Just now, Cruising-along said:

Ooh, some of my favorite memories are from driving through France.  Will you be concentrating on one area or "everywhere"?  

Yes, we are doing Normandy(6 days), the Loire Valley (5 days), and Paris(6 days). I am a firm believer in not cramming too much into a trip. Quality over quantity.  

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good to see you posting today. In case you missed it Thursday was International Fairy Day 🧚‍♀️

Well looky there! I am sure she was celebrating in her own way. She has a few sets of fairy wings (thank you Amazon) that she wears continuously. 

• Like 7

Just now, fatcat04 said:

Yes, we are doing Normandy(6 days), the Loire Valley (5 days), and Paris(6 days). I am a firm believer in not cramming too much into a trip. Quality over quantity.  

Love it. We love those areas (especially Paris!!), plus the Dordogne Valley is beautiful. We spent a week in the Loire Valley before our last cruise (fall, 2019).  

• Like 10

Good morning, happy Saturday!  Got a lot done so far today, the townhouse is completely closed up so I don't let in the heat, I've found it stays about 15 degrees cooler that way, especially on the lowest level. There's always the car for some brief cooling breaks for when it gets really bad.  

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to those that need them.  Happy birthday to @mamaofami

Don't get to Key West much, had a lot of family there at one time which was reason enough to avoid it....okay, I'm kidding!  But seriously, it's always been out of the way for me and I've never been on a ship that stopped there because I generally cruise the Pacific only.

Have a great day!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 19

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good morning, happy Saturday!  Got a lot done so far today, the townhouse is completely closed up so I don't let in the heat, I've found it stays about 15 degrees cooler that way, especially on the lowest level. There's always the car for some brief cooling breaks for when it gets really bad.  

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to those that need them.  Happy birthday to @mamaofami

Don't get to Key West much, had a lot of family there at one time which was reason enough to avoid it....okay, I'm kidding!  But seriously, it's always been out of the way for me and I've never been on a ship that stopped there because I generally cruise the Pacific only.

No need for a beautician as you can tell by the attached picture, and haven't had need for a few decades.  By the way, I have a full head of hair, but prefer being clean-shaven, especially in summer.

Dh has had a Mr Clean hairdo for a decade now and loves it in all seasons. He was hesitant at first but I can't imagine him with hair now. He does maintain a fine beard and mustache as well though so not quite "clean" shaven. He says once he hits retirement he is gonna go full on ZZ Top with the beard just for fun. Maybe he will let me braid it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

We were in Key West January 10, 2015 on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  We just walked around and visited a few places.  It must have been a Saturday:

image.thumb.jpeg.f213a9abb591279500b61f5a057d5f10.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bedf870af9f175b5db9672fa3bf4e61c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b2a5faa505ec1bbc63207f6b68d6b5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6a776534b82c92d0515e0167a7c494fc.jpeg

We had to see the Hemingway House and the cats, although we didn't really get a good picture of the cat's toes:

image.thumb.jpeg.26e0e2a56283f8b178fae5b5323311d3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cb7e3bc93e9f9cd0496cbf1965e28be3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91cd238793f74e77f277e310886d4aa9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4cf80558ff23c13d3084f94ca61ebe3b.jpeg

We went to eat at an outdoor cafe/bar and had friends join us:

image.thumb.jpeg.cefd1085ec9110994d9c650ac2ff1483.jpeg

And had to get the obligatory key lime pie dipped in chocolate on a stick:

image.thumb.jpeg.a798b9c0bdd7b4b6c439fd5856b0a191.jpeg

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 25

55 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Does this mean you won't be using the hotel?

Roy

• Like 6

Starting to warm up a little here.  DW and I got up about 6 to walk half an hour before it gets to hot.  We once drove from Miami to Key West and the best memory was the great key lime pie.  I noticed a few months ago that the civic leaders there were agitating to refuse large cruise ships the right to dock there to preserve the quiet life for the residents.  Has anyone been following that to see if it went into effect?

Ray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@fatcat04Too bad your cruise was cancelled, but it sounds like you have a great back-up plan.  Enjoy!

Was the cruise cancelled? My interpretation was @fatcat04 cancelled because it is now fully vaccinated and DD was too young..

Roy

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@fatcat04Too bad your cruise was cancelled, but it sounds like you have a great back-up plan.  Enjoy!

Yes! We too think it is a good Plan B.

Luckily for those able to go, it was not cancelled. 100% vaccinated though so dd is not able to go. But thankfully Europe is opening up now and since dh and I are vaccinated, she can be in our travel group without issue. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today the Tigers won 3-2 with one goal scored by DGS.  These teams are tough to beat since they are all champions in their state.  Yesterday's team was from Nebraska, today's was northern Ohio.  Tomorrow will be a nail biter because the Kansas team they will play is winning easily.  My blood pressure may not be able to take it!  Today three of my late sister Nancy's kids came out to watch DGS play.  They are all sports nuts and enjoyed it, but I think that is so sweet of them to do that.  DGS is lucky to have relatives living here to add to his entourage!😉

Glad DGS's team won and that he helped with the win.  What a nice thing for Nancy's kids to come to the game and support your DGS.

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

We got (or are in the process of) cancelled off the Rotterdam TA as dd can not be vaccinated yet, "too widdle" as she says. Soooo lemons from lemonade and yes indeed there is a pony under that pile of manure... we are doing a road trip through France for 2.5 weeks to use up some of dh's vacation time and finally satiate our wanderlust deprived souls. Should be a fun adventure. I will sure miss meeting the extraordinary bunch of folks on the TA roll call though. It will end up being a huge group. 

Dh has finally gotten much of his sense of smell and taste back after Covid in January. Woohoo!! Our moms health has not weathered as well through all this but they keep chugging along and are both still independent. Ds is almost done with school and will be choosing which HVAC company he does his paid apprenticeship with very soon. He is so happy. Dd is her delightful rambunctious self, presently enamored of all things fairies and unicorns and anything purple. 

Cheers to you all and hope you have a fantastic day!

Great that you could come up with a Plan B, even if doesn't include a BHB.  Normandy is one of my favoirte parts of France.

Good news that your DH has gotten much of his sense of smell and taste back.  That will probably really be appreciated with all the French food.  Congratulations on your DS getting ready for his apprenticeship.  If you missed it, HVAC techs were honored one day this week with their own day.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Flowers from Sam

image.thumb.png.40572fb4db1e5b85ada5122e1747a424.png

Wow! What beautiful flowers!

Lenda

• Like 11