Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

4 hours ago, atexsix said:

From a privacy standpoint, there are aspects to Medallion and the app I find disturbing and you better believe as soon as we return from our sailing, the app will be deactivated from our phones.  I could even bring a dummy phone onto the ship, but it still doesn't change the fact that everybody is walking around with a giant tracker around their necks and every time somebody goes to the restroom or is still sitting there at last call, Princess knows about it. 

Surprised there aren't more people flat out refusing to use it.  Off ship, the majority of society would be horrified at the thought of such a device, our smartphones track us to some extent, but they can be shut off.  I don't need a phone to get into my house like we need the medallions to get into our staterooms.  

It's just weird in an Orwellian kinda way and we're probably going to take this one Princess trip and then run back as fast as we can to Holland America. 

Yeah I am not a fan. All you need is a booking number and now you have pictures of passports, vaccine certificates, a credit card, contacts. Its crazy. I will board the old fashioned way and if its too hard to get a restaurant reservation on board then maybe Princess has left us behind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jammu2 said:

Yeah I am not a fan. All you need is a booking number and now you have pictures of passports, vaccine certificates, a credit card, contacts. Its crazy. I will board the old fashioned way and if its too hard to get a restaurant reservation on board then maybe Princess has left us behind.

You do not need a picture of your passport. You can type the information in just like you used to do with the web based "Cruise Personalizer".

• Like 1

Sorry to say that if you live in the United States; after Sept 11, 2001 there really is no privacy any more.  The gov't can track your whereabouts all the time.  I don't worry about Princess keeping track of me on the ship.  It is not a big deal and won't ruin my cruise vacation.  My wife loves that she can find me anywhere on the ship.  I wander off quite a bit; so she likes to be able to track me.  Everyone have a great week.  Cheers

• Like 3

One thing I am not a fan of is the names of stateroom occupants are digitally displayed at all times adjacent to the stateroom door. So you know all the names and cabin numbers of everyone if you really wanted to.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skid1127 said:

One thing I am not a fan of is the names of stateroom occupants are digitally displayed at all times adjacent to the stateroom door. So you know all the names and cabin numbers of everyone if you really wanted to.

They used to place paper cards at each door, so same thing.  I have read that you can ask to have the names hidden on the display.

Saw this on Holland board regarding their app problems, had not seen it in this thread but it might be useful. 

Go to settings - select apps - select navigator - go to storage - at the bottom of the screen you will see clear data and clear cache - clear both - you will then need to log back into the app.  That fixed the problem on my Android phone.

12 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Saw this on Holland board regarding their app problems, had not seen it in this thread but it might be useful. 

Go to settings - select apps - select navigator - go to storage - at the bottom of the screen you will see clear data and clear cache - clear both - you will then need to log back into the app.  That fixed the problem on my Android phone.

What problem did this solve for you?

TIA

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Sorry to say that if you live in the United States; after Sept 11, 2001 there really is no privacy any more.  The gov't can track your whereabouts all the time.  I don't worry about Princess keeping track of me on the ship.  It is not a big deal and won't ruin my cruise vacation.  My wife loves that she can find me anywhere on the ship.  I wander off quite a bit; so she likes to be able to track me.  Everyone have a great week.  Cheers

I agree that there are good things about it, and I hope they work, I'll be testing them for sure since Dear Dad almost always gets lost trying to find our room on his own.  Also agree that 9/11/01 was the end of privacy as we knew it. 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

They used to place paper cards at each door, so same thing.  I have read that you can ask to have the names hidden on the display.

I haven't seen HAL do this in years, and even then it was only the top suites that had it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I agree that there are good things about it, and I hope they work, I'll be testing them for sure since Dear Dad almost always gets lost trying to find our room on his own.  Also agree that 9/11/01 was the end of privacy as we knew it. 

I haven't seen HAL do this in years, and even then it was only the top suites that had it.  

For the two Medallion cruise we've been on the locator was very helpful for finding shipmates and routes to venues.  Using QR to read bar menus worked as well - none of the bars we lurked in had normal drink menus.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:21 AM, jeno said:

It is still only showing the 5 year cruise.  I wrote the email this morning and I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for your very exact directions.  Very helpful. 

After them asking me to rewrite the description, they wrote that they were fixing things in order of cruises.  So I guess I have awhile to wait. I sure hope all my dinner reservations didn’t disappear.  This medallion really is a pain in the neck. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:01 PM, Jammu2 said:

Where do you upload vaccine cards?  I just completed my info, or thought I did, but it just had me check a box saying I was vaccinated and didn’t give any option that I could see to attach my proof of vaccination.  Now I wonder if I missed it somewhere.

6 minutes ago, MommyOTwins said:

Where do you upload vaccine cards?  I just completed my info, or thought I did, but it just had me check a box saying I was vaccinated and didn’t give any option that I could see to attach my proof of vaccination.  Now I wonder if I missed it somewhere.

You don't.  Princess had the upload feature for the briefest of time in 2021, but this isn't something we do now.  Bring a hardcopy or have it loaded to your smartphone. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 7:16 PM, PROCRUISE said:

Well, just got the word from Medallion Support, in a very rude manner too.

"Only iPhone 8's and above will work for the MedallionClass App."

When I inquired as to when we could print off luggage tags for our August 8th cruise I was told: "if you had the app you wouldn't need luggage tags!"

Great way to treat return clients Princess.

How would having the MedallionClassApp mean your luggage wouldnt need labels? They still need to kn ow who it belongs to in order to deliver it to the correct room. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fifi1969 said:

How would having the MedallionClassApp mean your luggage wouldnt need labels? They still need to kn ow who it belongs to in order to deliver it to the correct room. 

Only thing I can think of, and it's a bit of a stretch, is he meant if you didn't print the tags "they" could do it when you get to port?  We'd never even consider risking that.

57 minutes ago, fifi1969 said:

You still print your luggage tags on the website and your travel summary, as always.  75 days before travel it is available.

I would definitely print and attach them, so it is ready for the baggage guys to load.  IF for some reason, you don’t do this, the baggage handlers to have the capability to print them or hand write it on a tag.  Another reason to have your travel summary, so they can see your cabin number.  But, some ports don’t have the capability of a printed luggage tag.  Why would you want to wait around for this, when you could be on your way inside the terminal to checkin?  NOT..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just booked a new cruise and all information for DW and me is shown using web access and iPad access. One glitch, the Medallion Pay shows the same credit card I used on recent cruise. It does not show for DW. Add Authorized User shows briefly but then disappears.

Princess Chat suggested try the steps below, and see if it will work:
* Under My Cards - select Delete 
* Once Deleted - Authorize Users will appear 
* Select User to add to card 
* Re-select card then Save and Continue

This fixed the problem 🙂

Separate question we are both Green Lane My photo has B on it DW has P what does this mean?

• Thanks 2

So I cancelled a cruise today and booked a new one.   Logged into ocean medallion with my new booking number.   When I try to book dining, it keeps showing my old booking number.  Deleted the app twice, logged in each time with new booking ref and still showing old booking.   Any tips? Tia

1 minute ago, Island wannabe said:

So I cancelled a cruise today and booked a new one.   Logged into ocean medallion with my new booking number.   When I try to book dining, it keeps showing my old booking number.  Deleted the app twice, logged in each time with new booking ref and still showing old booking.   Any tips? Tia

Sorry not to help, but FYI, deleting app does not help. The app does not store any data. I have just booked new cruise but not tried to book dining yet. All other info was correct from prior cruise.

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Just booked a new cruise and all information for DW and me is shown using web access and iPad access. One glitch, the Medallion Pay shows the same credit card I used on recent cruise. It does not show for DW. Add Authorized User shows briefly but then disappears.

Princess Chat suggested try the steps below, and see if it will work:
* Under My Cards - select Delete 
* Once Deleted - Authorize Users will appear 
* Select User to add to card 
* Re-select card then Save and Continue

This fixed the problem 🙂

Separate question we are both Green Lane My photo has B on it DW has P what does this mean?

If it’s updated, may mean she’s a platinum P and your a new cruiser=Blue B.

Ours both show E=Elite.

Who knows if it’s updated, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Island wannabe said:

Give it a day or two

to update the cancellation and new booking on the app.  It updates first on the website, followed by the App.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If it’s updated, may mean she’s a platinum P and your a new cruiser=Blue B.

Ours both show E=Elite.

Who knows if it’s updated, though.

OK makes sense, we are both Platinum, probably makes no difference. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Based on what I’ve read that’s a recurring problem with having the incorrect Captain’s Circle level (B-Blue; P-Platinum) which some have not been able to correct despite attempting numerous times…another MC app glitch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

OK makes sense, we are both Platinum, probably makes no difference. 

No, as long as your account info on the website is correct, that’s what matters.

Just check your account and circle status on the website, to make sure.

• Like 1