No more free internet for platinum & elite

13 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

I hate to see an e-mail from Princess in my inbox any more....

What is astonishing to me is them touting their new benefits which eliminate 3 Elite benefits…free internet minutes, priority boarding and Loyalty OBC.

How can Princess think this is something to boast about.

My TA forwarded the email from their SVP of Sales and the last line is ridiculous after eliminating benefits…he thinks that’s the way to earn clients loyalty? 

“What hasn't changed is our commitment to earning your clients' loyalty”.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

I agree & expressed my unhappiness at making boarding requests first come, first booked and having to be lucky to discover when Arrival Groups are available to board early. When a first time Princess passenger can board before an Elite level passenger who wants to board early then there is no priority boarding. I understand that boarding flights are different but could you imagine airlines allowing passengers to select a boarding preference that’s not based upon loyalty level…not going to happen yet Princess has no problem having such a system. 

The frustrating thing is that priority boarding doesn’t really cost them much & only requires an emailed notification. Although if it’s like their inconsistent email notifications to elite level passengers to book a day before the general public they too often fail to do it.

When their SVP of Sales expressed at his most recent webinar that priority boarding isn’t as important because of Arrival Group times, it is an indication to me that upper management doesn’t have a clue about the importance to many of us to board early with Priority Boarding.

Right on!! Excellent post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waynetor said:

With the 4 device internet package is there any issue with asking another couple on a roll call to split the cost each share the package using our own device?

No, but one will have to order and pay for it and the "friends" will have to recompense the person who made the order in cash.

Both get a 50% discount…for example with a 7-day cruise:

• Pre-paid: $70 with a $35 non-refundable OBC added to the portfolio
  • Pay onboard: $105 with a $52.50 NR OBC to portfolio.

The 50% discount is a CC benefit so either use it or lose it. That’s the way the customer service rep explained it but we won’t know for certain until some experiences the procedure. I used the email posted on one of these change in benefits threads & as I recall she was described as a customer service manager who would hopefully be knowledgeable & she said she’s worked for PCL for a long time.

Interesting info, but stupid for Princess to do this.  Now, only an uninformed Platinum/Elite would wait to purchase internet on board.  Seems crazy, but like you said, we won't know for certain until we hear what pricing scheme the Internet Cafe Mgr is using on board. 

I will do what I did back when I couldn't get a straight answer on Medallion Net pricing when it was new.  I pre-ordered and then when I found out what was going on for real on board, I requested and received a credit on account for difference. 

Pre-Covid, the internet package was simply charged to my on-board account at the discounted rate - no NR OBC.  I don't object to the OBC as it can be used in other ways - such as towards Crew Incentive.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Pre-Covid, the internet package was simply charged to my on-board account at the discounted rate - no NR OBC.  I don't object to the OBC as it can be used in other ways - such as towards Crew Incentive.

Except for those who booked with Princess Plus

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Was that Kimberly Baldwin? Did she say if we could use OBC to buy internet pre-cruise?

52 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I didn’t think about asking her that question. She said that many things need to be finalized hopefully before the first cruises sail. And she was cautiously optimistic about a more reliable MC app. 🤞

I seriously doubt it.  The only thing we can use OBC for is Excursions and we all know that was a special case due to policy change of paying for them in advance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amtrack Springfield said:

Question, we have a cruise in February 2022 for 14 days. How do we order our internet? Can we do it before or on board?

51 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

For my 3 future cruises internet plans are not even shown in the Cruise Personalizer or MC app so there is no way for me to order it which others are posting as having the same experience.

I read that it will eventually be added to the MC App for ordering.  I would expect a FEB 2022 voyage to have internet package on offer in Personalizer.  Perhaps holding them back for MC App, or to implement new pricing, including the OBC for Platinums/Elites???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonesbk said:

I’d like to see if they give the internet 50% OBC to those that book PrincessPlus. Otherwise I’m not getting the benefits I earned. Princess won my loyalty, but as they continue to go the way of Carnival, I may be moving on to other lines, again (we used to LOVE Carnival cruises).

I really can’t wait for cruises to resume so we can hear back as to what “really” happens onboard because you know it always varies ship to ship…

No one who books PLUS is going to get some sort of OBC rebate for internet benefit.  That didn't happen pre-Covid and surely is a pipe-dream now.

• Like 1

What is astonishing to me is them touting their new benefits which eliminate 3 Elite benefits…free internet minutes, priority boarding and Loyalty OBC.

You've stumped me completely on this one. Clearly there's something I'm missing. The PDF I received today describing the changed Plat/Elite perks contains in the Plat section the bullet point "priority boarding". Plat perks, of course, also apply to Elite. 

Where do they say they are eliminating priority boarding? If they really are doing this, I too will send emails to those individuals who carbill identified in his post #254. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

You've stumped me completely on this one. Clearly there's something I'm missing. The PDF I received today describing the changed Plat/Elite perks contains in the Plat section the bullet point "priority boarding". Plat perks, of course, also apply to Elite. 

Where do they say they are eliminating priority boarding? If they really are doing this, I too will send emails to those individuals who carbill identified in his post #254. 

As long as Princess keeps Arrival Groups in place, and administers the way they have started and the way some have reported after speaking to Customer Relations, they have effectively (key word) eliminated priority boarding.

WHY?

Arrival Groups begin at 11:30am.  By the time a line of customers goes through security scan, and then check-in process, they will proceed right on board as no need to hold in the terminal.  General boarding is normally underway by 11:30am. 

Once Arrival Groups open, anyone can select any time block which means the 11:30am slot could be filled with mostly people who have no status.  There appears to be no advance notice or time for Elites/Suites to book a group, followed by Platinum, followed by the rest. 

There is priority check-in line, so that may help a small number at the start of each Arrival Group.  Anyone who is OCEAN Ready and has Medallion in hand is going to get through check-in fastest.  Without Medallion will take a bit longer.  Without being Ocean Ready in the MC App is going to take a lot longer.  With no holding of passengers in lounges prior to boarding, priority is gone. 

For later Arrival Groups, again, the first few in the door for each group will have some priority check-in process and make it to the ship sooner, but that is not the same as it was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steveww48 said:

My goodness, what a terrible marketing decision.  As Platinum cruisers, losing the free internet minutes is an absolute downgrade and is something that truly matters to us.  Princess' "loyalty" program now has no value to us--this change has obliterated our loyalty.

Our "status" will absolutely not be a factor in future cruise decisions and we will actively evaluate all cruise lines for every cruise we consider. Princess is now just one of many cruise lines to us and it will get no preference of any sort when we evaluate cruise possibilities.

I will write to Princess and as noted in an earlier post it appears that others will too. Perhaps there will be enough of us to matter.

That was absolutely one of the best benefits to becoming platinum. The free minutes. These days we do purchase Princess Plus. So, it's no loss. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

While Priority Boarding still shows beginning at the Platinum level it isn’t the same Priority Boarding as before.

Based on my conversation today with a customer service manager the only priority boarding will only be within Arrival Groups. As I’ve previously posted their SVP of Sales didn’t think that priority boarding was important now with Arrival Groups.

What they fail to understand is that without giving Elite & then Platinum passengers first choice of arrival times then even a first time Princess passenger could get an early group time & an Elite passenger could get stuck with boarding last. I’ve read posts from Elite passengers on some of the first cruises who could only get the last of the 3 groups.

That’s why I feel that Priority Boarding is another lost benefit…if I want to board early like always but because I wasn’t aware the Arrival Groups were available to book & got the last group that’s not my definition of Priority Boarding.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

There is priority check-in line, so that may help a small number at the start of each Arrival Group.

Our most recent MC boarding pre-pandemic was at Civitavecchia in November 2019 & there weren’t any lines because they had staff roaming the lobby with mobile devices to quickly scan medallions & to check passports for passengers to immediately walk onboard. 👍😊

I still cannot login as a Registered Guest and so have been unable to look at my Captain's Circle information.   I have just seen this thread and am very annoyed.   The shambles with login has annoyed me and this loss could well be the last straw.

3 hours ago, mjmalino said:

I went through a bottle MAKING dinner tonight. In my defense I get really thirsty cooking since I tend to sing and dance while cooking.

My wife loves to "cook with wine" as well. Pour the wine and drink it while cooking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Our most recent MC boarding pre-pandemic was at Civitavecchia in November 2019 & there weren’t any lines because they had staff roaming the lobby with mobile devices to quickly scan medallions & to check passports for passengers to immediately walk onboard. 👍😊

We'll be sure and get there early.  First time boarding there next Fall 2022.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

As long as Princess keeps Arrival Groups in place, and administers the way they have started and the way some have reported after speaking to Customer Relations, they have effectively (key word) eliminated priority boarding.

WHY?

Arrival Groups begin at 11:30am.  By the time a line of customers goes through security scan, and then check-in process, they will proceed right on board as no need to hold in the terminal.  General boarding is normally underway by 11:30am. 

Once Arrival Groups open, anyone can select any time block which means the 11:30am slot could be filled with mostly people who have no status.  There appears to be no advance notice or time for Elites/Suites to book a group, followed by Platinum, followed by the rest. 

There is priority check-in line, so that may help a small number at the start of each Arrival Group.  Anyone who is OCEAN Ready and has Medallion in hand is going to get through check-in fastest.  Without Medallion will take a bit longer.  Without being Ocean Ready in the MC App is going to take a lot longer.  With no holding of passengers in lounges prior to boarding, priority is gone. 

For later Arrival Groups, again, the first few in the door for each group will have some priority check-in process and make it to the ship sooner, but that is not the same as it was. 

20 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

While Priority Boarding still shows beginning at the Platinum level it isn’t the same Priority Boarding as before.

Based on my conversation today with a customer service manager the only priority boarding will only be within Arrival Groups. As I’ve previously posted their SVP of Sales didn’t think that priority boarding was important now with Arrival Groups.

What they fail to understand is that without giving Elite & then Platinum passengers first choice of arrival times then even a first time Princess passenger could get an early group time & an Elite passenger could get stuck with boarding last. I’ve read posts from Elite passengers on some of the first cruises who could only get the last of the 3 groups.

That’s why I feel that Priority Boarding is another lost benefit…if I want to board early like always but because I wasn’t aware the Arrival Groups were available to book & got the last group that’s not my definition of Priority Boarding.

OK, now I understand. I missed the entire point about Arrival Groups. 

I wonder if Princess will consider and implement the Arrival Groups idea that is currently part of Carnival embarkation. (Not having sailed since this all began, wife and I took a deep breath and booked a Carnival B2B out of Galveston next month. First time on Carnival. Should be interesting.)

They first began their revamped embarkation process by having everyone check in 14 days prior to sailing. They apparently soon realized the error of their ways and changed the process so that their Plats and Diamonds (and suites, that's where we fit in given that we have absolutely NO status with them) could check in and secure an Arrival Group 16 days prior to sailing. I have midnight 16 days prior to sailing on my calendar so I can get it done early and get an early boarding spot. They are doing groups in 15 minute windows. 

Seems to me that if Princess followed suit and implemented this same change, Plats/Elites/Suites would be able to snag an early (or whatever one's preference may be) Arrival Group and thereby truly have priority boarding. 

Granted, this is one more hoop to jump through that heretofore was not required. But given the perceived need post-covid to have Arrival Groups, the Carnival approach seems to me like a reasonable workaround. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

When you say arrival groups do you mean people on a charter bus being dropped off at the pier at the same time?  How about if you're staying overnight at a hotel and you take their shuttle?  How would you even know what time to select for arrival when you're dependent on the hotel shuttle schedule? 

So many changes to deal with and still getting over the loss of for me the most important loyalty benefit internet minutes. I haven't downloaded the App yet as my phone is quite old and hope to upgrade this summer. 

I keep reading that the internet we now have to purchase will 50% off, but 50% off what price?  Princess puts out their memo without the important details.   I only use the internet on sea days, so if the $5 per day cost is correct, can I purchase a daily plan?  For instance my upcoming 15 day Hawaii cruise with 8 sea days total cost $40 (8 days @ $5)  instead of $75 (15 days @ 5 per day) for the full cruise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

When you say arrival groups do you mean people on a charter bus being dropped off at the pier at the same time?  How about if you're staying overnight at a hotel and you take their shuttle?  How would you even know what time to select for arrival when you're dependent on the hotel shuttle schedule?

Even harder to estimate is the time a Princess shuttle from the airport will get you to the port.

o Plane arriving on time or early or late

o Time to get luggage and, in some cases, go through immigration/customs

o Time until next bus with available space leaves the airport

o Traffic conditions getting to the port

Princess has said if you arrive too early for your selected time, you will need to wait (preferably away from the cruise terminal). They have not said what will happen if you arrive after your selected time slot.

15 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

So many changes to deal with and still getting over the loss of for me the most important loyalty benefit internet minutes. I haven't downloaded the App yet as my phone is quite old and hope to upgrade this summer. 

I keep reading that the internet we now have to purchase will 50% off, but 50% off what price?  Princess puts out their memo without the important details.   I only use the internet on sea days, so if the $5 per day cost is correct, can I purchase a daily plan?  For instance my upcoming 15 day Hawaii cruise with 8 sea days total cost $40 (8 days @ $5)  instead of $75 (15 days @ 5 per day) for the full cruise

No, just when each customer plans to arrive at the terminal for check-in. 

Your hotel shuttle question is interesting.  Makes me think a lot of people will just select as early time as possible and then show up whenever.  Problem is most groups are noon or later so people are out of hotel rooms by then and have nowhere to go potentially.

In the past, full-cruise packages cost less than the single day pricing of $10/day.  Not clear if they are having those package prices going forward.  I believe you could purchase a day of internet for $10 before.  But I think the member discount only applied to full-cruise packages on Day 1 (or later perhaps).  I don't think there was any discount for individual day purchases.  So, I doubt it going forward.  This is conjecture based on the past and may not be accurate.

Your example might be $80 (8 x $10) versus $75 (I have a package price of $150 for 15 - 30 days and $130 pre-cruise in Personalizer).  Internet packages will eventually be for sale in the MC App, but cannot say for sure what the pricing will be. 

6 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

No email here in Australia, well not for me. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

The email has a link that takes you to benefits on Princess website. Chart has been posted on here showing changes