No more free internet for platinum & elite

I am booked on a 3 night Seacation from Southampton on 21st August. I declined the Premium package as my room mate is teetotal and I decided to join her for this short cruise. It’s not worth £30.00 ($41.41) per day if I get my allotted 150 free minutes as a Platinum member. 

Are these new rules coming in now or am I still likely to get my minutes?  The Captain’s Circle pages still show it as a perk. 

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Certainly the sharing is OK if you do purchase at full price the 4 device option.

Would princess allow one to purchase a package for more that the number of guests in a stateroom?

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Correct if I cannot afford $5 a day for internet then I should not be spending 5k on a cruise. 

If it's $5/'day I didn't need to pay before we still don't  have to like it. A penny saved is a penny earned.

• Like 4

Yesterday my pvp confirmed no more free mins for platinum & elite. She explained the new medallian net can't be done by the minute, it's many advantages, etc. She made sense & won me over. For less than $70 total for our upcoming 14 day TA I'll have unlimited wifi, fast, no accidentally losing minutes, etc. It's not as nice as free, but it's doable. I have drunk the koolaid. Lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, caribill said:

What we do not know (and can only speculate) is if the new discount benefit which would be limited only to each eligible person would only be for the single device option. Or, as we might hope, the eligible person can purchase the 4 device option at a 50% discount and share the benefit with three other people whether they are or are not platinum/elite.

I don't think it is a lot of speculation.  Prior to the Covid Pauses, Princess granted the 25% discount to both plan types and I don't see why that would change.  (FWIW, both of us and both our friends are Elite). 

As to the last sentence, Princess has no control over the person who buys the plan as to who they might share login credentials with.  A family with parents who are Elite and younger children not yet Platinum could all share a 4-device plan purchased by one of the parents.  I don't even recall reading a policy (which would be unenforceable in any case) in regards to this.

Information says they will apply the discount as OBC to a pre-cruise purchase.

Not questioning the veracity, just interested in the source of the "information".  Thanks.  Works for me - I would just want to know the list pricing won't be better on board (it was not before).

And that was when the minutes benefit was free. If it did not work, you might be unhappy but it did not cost you any $$$.

With the new benefit of purchasing the package at a discount, it it does not work, you might be even more unhappy and it would cost you $$$.

I disagree.  You would be both unhappy and costing $$$.  The slow internet is not only frustrating but would chew up minutes online and then most likely require purchasing additional time in order to continue to do whatever wanted to do.

50 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Yesterday my pvp confirmed no more free mins for platinum & elite. She explained the new medallian net can't be done by the minute, it's many advantages, etc. She made sense & won me over. For less than $70 total for our upcoming 14 day TA I'll have unlimited wifi, fast, no accidentally losing minutes, etc. It's not as nice as free, but it's doable. I have drunk the koolaid. Lol.

That's odd. We did one medallion net cruise pre-COVID, and it was certainly done by minutes on that one. I suppose they've changed the system now.

• Like 1

I've scoured the Princess TA site but can't find anything updated recently regarding the change to benefits or Internet minutes. If reps/PVPs are giving clients answers, they usually find them on OneSource...but I'm not able to find that info! I did find the following (updated 30 days ago). Take from it what you will (it sounds as if you want to lock in these prices you can ask your TA/Princess to book them - but not clear if the 50% discount would apply?):

MedallionNet® offers the best Wi-Fi at sea, featuring unprecedented connectivity that’s fast, unlimited, reliable, and affordable with an access point in every stateroom. Available on all Princess ships, the superior Wi-Fi features connectivity that is so fast guests can stream movies, sports, games, music, videos and facetime from anywhere on the ship and never miss a beat.   

When purchased pre-cruise, voyage-length plans offer big savings.  Device-switching allowed.  

MedallionNet is included in PrincessPlus packages, and, by the end of July, guests will be able to pre-purchase single and multi-device plans via the MedallionClass app as guests get OceanReady.   

The below packages are available only in Polar and PolarOnline for purchase in the meantime. We will honor all pre-purchased discontinued internet packages, which will all convert to MedallionNet onboard. We'll let you know once MedallionNet is available in MedallionClass app. 

6417 WY MedallionNet 1-Device Package 9.99 per day rate 

6418 WY MedallionNet 4-Device Package 19.99 per day rate

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I've scoured the Princess TA site but can't find anything updated recently regarding the change to benefits or Internet minutes. If reps/PVPs are giving clients answers, they usually find them on OneSource...but I'm not able to find that info! I did find the following (updated 30 days ago). Take from it what you will (it sounds as if you want to lock in these prices you can ask your TA/Princess to book them - but not clear if the 50% discount would apply?):

MedallionNet® offers the best Wi-Fi at sea, featuring unprecedented connectivity that’s fast, unlimited, reliable, and affordable with an access point in every stateroom. Available on all Princess ships, the superior Wi-Fi features connectivity that is so fast guests can stream movies, sports, games, music, videos and facetime from anywhere on the ship and never miss a beat.   

When purchased pre-cruise, voyage-length plans offer big savings.  Device-switching allowed.  

MedallionNet is included in PrincessPlus packages, and, by the end of July, guests will be able to pre-purchase single and multi-device plans via the MedallionClass app as guests get OceanReady.   

The below packages are available only in Polar and PolarOnline for purchase in the meantime. We will honor all pre-purchased discontinued internet packages, which will all convert to MedallionNet onboard. We'll let you know once MedallionNet is available in MedallionClass app. 

Thanks for this detailed information.  Look forward to seeing the "new" options in MC App (or Personalizer) later this month.

I wouldn't recommend locking in the POLAR prices as it won't be worse when the plans come out and - as the text mentions - there are full-voyage discounted prices pre-cruise.  This was the case pre-Covid as well.  But these pre-cruise plans are not for Platinum & Elite.  Unless things change, the net price after discount was better DAY ONE on board.  No discount was given pre-cruise.

I can see with this moving to MC App that they may have (hopefully, but wouldn't bet $1 on it) implemented recognition of CC Status and then will discount the packages by 50% for Elite & Platinum members.  Wait & See again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Basically thats what my PVP wrote although she rounded it out to even $$s

Edited by Ombud
Changed 'said' to 'wrote' bc it was via email
  • Like 2

Just now, Ombud said:

Basically thats what my PVP said although she rounded it out to even $$s

If you purchase in advance, do you get the 50% off this price? That's what doesn't seem to be mentioned...

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Not questioning the veracity, just interested in the source of the "information".  Thanks.  Works for me - I would just want to know the list pricing won't be better on board (it was not before).

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/cc/captains-circle-loyalty-benefits.pdf

See footnote number 8:

8 Discount only available to Captain’s Circle Platinum and Elite guests, for MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages on sailings embarking after July 24, 2021. MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio. Discount is not combinable with any other MedallionNet Wi-Fi offers, discounts, or promotions. Discount is not transferable and has no cash value.

Also, since the last sentence says the discount is not combinable with any other offer or discount or promotion, I think that means it is not applicable to special first day on board pricing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I wouldn't recommend locking in the POLAR prices as it won't be worse when the plans come out and - as the text mentions - there are full-voyage discounted prices pre-cruise.  This was the case pre-Covid as well.  But these pre-cruise plans are not for Platinum & Elite.  Unless things change, the net price after discount was better DAY ONE on board.  No discount was given pre-cruise.

That definitely was the way it used to be, but as footnote number 8 (shown in my previous post above) indicates, the discount does not apply to other specials.

And you are 100% correct that no discount for platinum/elite was given pre-cruise. That was the first devaluation of the benefit that time around. Anybody could purchase at the pre-cruise price. The only discount available for platinum/elite was that first day on board.

Now that I have that knowledge I can again evaluate which fare type is better for me

Best Price: shareholder OBC to pay for

15 Crew incentive

05 internet

00 trade minibar for 2 coffee programs

2.85 carryon 2nd bottle $20/7 -- carry 3 for longer trips)

$22.85

Princess: $40 qd out of pocket 

10 minutes ago, caribill said:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/cc/captains-circle-loyalty-benefits.pdf

See footnote number 8:

8 Discount only available to Captain’s Circle Platinum and Elite guests, for MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages on sailings embarking after July 24, 2021. MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio. Discount is not combinable with any other MedallionNet Wi-Fi offers, discounts, or promotions. Discount is not transferable and has no cash value.

Also, since the last sentence says the discount is not combinable with any other offer or discount or promotion, I think that means it is not applicable to special first day on board pricing.

Ahhh....the fine print! Thanks! This is the answer I've been searching for (and didn't read the fineprint). So pay full upfront and receive credit onboard!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Would princess allow one to purchase a package for more that the number of guests in a stateroom?

Since it is a device package, not a person package, the answer is yes.

I think the original intent was for when three or four people were in a cabin. But even if only two people in a cabin, some people like to have multiple devices online at the same time, for example a lap top and a smart phone used by the same person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

That's odd. We did one medallion net cruise pre-COVID, and it was certainly done by minutes on that one. I suppose they've changed the system now.

And we as well. It was certainly done by minutes on our cruises, so the previous info on not being capable on a minutes basis is absolutely wrong.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Correct if I cannot afford $5 a day for internet then I should not be spending 5k on a cruise. 

And for some of saving $35-$70 on the internet is HOW we pay for our cruise.    $35 here, $70 there, it all adds up.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Skai said:

Princess has made a number of questionable decisions over the years.   The bean-counters have certainly been busy.  

We're most likely done with Princess.  Nor do we feel comfortable to recommend them to anyone else(over any other line).

It's a shame.  Princess originally played a big part in us falling in love with cruising.  There used to be certain aspects of Princess that made the line unique; inspiring us to loyally select it as our preferred cruise-line.

Princess has changed, our preferences haven't.  I honestly don't see Princess surviving much longer at this pace.. Not with the current crop of decision makers at the helm.

We are in the same frame of mind. Our two Covid cancelled cruises would have made us Elite but see no reason to stay with Princess. Most other lines are offering all the perks now anyway. Our travel agent had been trying to get us to try others for the last five years and we had been resistant but no longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1