No more free internet for platinum & elite

3 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I took the pricing information from the Princess website - actually a link from the Princess site to someone’s blog, but the pricing was correct when operations ceased in 2020. $9.99 per day for unlimited WiFi for one device, $14.99 pd for up to 4 devices. Of course, those prices are likely to go up slightly. The prices are per day so the length of voyage doesn’t matter.

Those weren't real prices.  That was marketing stuff that approximated the cost IIRC.  In any case, there were package prices for varying lengths of voyages.  Do not think it was flat price per day as you indicated.

I posted charts of the old pricing.

No one who is Platinum and higher should be booking pre-cruise.  The discount was always applied on board to those prices.  IDK if they are going to apply a discount to any pre-cruise internet order.  Remains to be seen. 

The on-board Day 1 price was higher than the Personalizer pre-cruise offer, but was net lower after applying the 25% discount.  It isn't clear what they are doing going forward, so we don't know what 50% off is as we don't know the pricing going forward for sure.

• Like 1

After looking over the new benefits list as shown on the Princess site, I have called my TA to have her upgrade me to the dreaded Princess Plus for two of my next cruises.  By the time I "buy" internet, drink package (non-adult or adult), and pay for crew incentive I will not come out ahead doing it individually.   I guess i will be using my OBC for shore excursions and spa items.  🤷‍♀️  YMMV

I just got off the phone with a Princess rep and she said that the free internet minutes for Platinum and Elite members are still there.  She read verbatim what the loyalty levels used to say that your free minutes are based upon the length of your cruise.  When I told her that my computer doesn't show that anymore, that its all over FB and cruise critic that the benefits have changed and the free minutes are gone, she said "that's social media" that Princess is still  in the process of moving over to Medallion App and changes are still being made.  She reassured me that the free internet minutes are still there. 

Also brought up that I cant see where I can purchase the small bottles of spirits.  She went into my booking and couldn't find it either.  She then tried to see if she could purchase a bottle as a gift and that also didn't work.  So then she checked her personal booking for Dec 2021 and the ability to purchase spirits per-boarding is available on her booking.  I mentioned to her that others can see the order form,  She again mentioned to be patient and wait that perhaps its too soon to appear on my booking. 

Maybe someone else can contact Princess and verify what I was told that the free  minutes are still a loyalty benefit. 

• Like 4

Princess has made a number of questionable decisions over the years.   The bean-counters have certainly been busy.  

We're most likely done with Princess.  Nor do we feel comfortable to recommend them to anyone else(over any other line).

It's a shame.  Princess originally played a big part in us falling in love with cruising.  There used to be certain aspects of Princess that made the line unique; inspiring us to loyally select it as our preferred cruise-line.

Princess has changed, our preferences haven't.  I honestly don't see Princess surviving much longer at this pace.. Not with the current crop of decision makers at the helm.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skai said:

Princess has made a number of questionable decisions over the years.   The bean-counters have certainly been busy.  

We're most likely done with Princess.  Nor do we feel comfortable to recommend them to anyone else(over any other line).

It's a shame.  Princess originally played a big part in us falling in love with cruising.  There used to be certain aspects of Princess that made the line unique; inspiring us to loyally select it as our preferred cruise-line.

Princess has changed, our preferences haven't.  I honestly don't see Princess surviving much longer at this pace.. Not with the current crop of decision makers at the helm.

Princess will do fine and are not going anywhere.  OMG, some folks are really taking the "sky is falling" approach to new changes...

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Skai said:

ot with the current crop of decision makers at the helm.

some of those 'decision makers' also approved the bonus FCC when cruises were cancelled

now you can actually use that 'bonus fcc' to pay for your crew incentive, drinks, and wifi

• Like 3

I hope the free minutes are not really gone.  That would be a big disappointment.  You can take my 10% spa discount and give me my minutes back. 

I usually share my great cruise experiences on social media with my friends during the cruise.  If I don't get the free minutes, they lose the free advertising.  When I come back, I will not remember any good experiences, and my social media update would be I took a Princess cruise and it was blah.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

$9.99 per day for unlimited WiFi for one device,

Yes. I remember that. I was going to buy this version when taking the girls:

46 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

$14.99 pd for up to 4 devices

But what I don't understand is all the posters who want to leave over $5pd. If I can't afford $35 a week I shouldn't be cruising

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, nyc12345 said:

When I come back, I will not remember any good experiences,

I guess I'm lucky bc I don't have early dementia 

@pompeiithank you. I've sent an email PVP & Kimberly Baldwin asking if I need to alter my Australia -> Asia 18 night cruise

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nyc12345 said:

I hope the free minutes are not really gone.  That would be a big disappointment.  You can take my 10% spa discount and give me my minutes back. 

I usually share my great cruise experiences on social media with my friends during the cruise.  If I don't get the free minutes, they lose the free advertising.  When I come back, I will not remember any good experiences, and my social media update would be I took a Princess cruise and it was blah.

oh, so sad 

I take photos and have wonderful memories of places Princess & Celebrity ships have taken me. Russia, Egypt, Med , Falkland Islands, Japan, N.Korea, Australia, New Zealnd , Tahiti & the Cook Islands, Mexico, Caribbean, Bermuda, etc.  

no internet needed. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

The 4 device option was $14.99 a day. If it becomes $7.50 a day its worth it when I take 2 kids (assume only 1 can be on it at a time)

If you have 4 devices, all 4 can be logged in at the same time. My kids are often both on some kind of device...lol

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

If you have 4 devices, all 4 can be logged in at the same time. My kids are often both on some kind of device...lol

Then it is a definite plus to have 50% off that instead of internet minutes when cruising with others

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Omega1 said:

Would it be possible for people travelling together on different booking numbers (2 couples) to share the 4 device package? So one person buys the 4 device  package at $14.99 per day (less 50%) and all four people log in on a device each.

This would be $1.87pp per day for unlimited internet. Asking for a friend!😂🤣

4 can share, done it with our son & DIL, however only one can be on the internet at a time and you have to all use the same log in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dog said:

oh, so sad 

I take photos and have wonderful memories of places Princess & Celebrity ships have taken me. Russia, Egypt, Med , Falkland Islands, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealnd , Tahiti & the Cook Islands, Mexico, Caribbean, Bermuda, etc.  

no internet needed. 

Corrected. To South Korea. 

Edited by dog

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Then it is a definite plus to have that instead of internet minutes when cruising with others

4 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

4 can share, done it with our son & DIL, however only one can be on the internet at a time and you have to all use the same log in.

Now I'm second guessing myself...lol

For sure we have all been logged in at the same time on medallion net, but now I'm wondering if that was because we each had the Princess Plus fare or if it was when I upgraded from free minutes to the 4 device option. I'm pretty sure it was both (the only time we have ever had to log out was when using the free minutes - not medallion net)....but maybe I'm wrong??

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Now I'm second guessing myself...lol

For sure we have all been logged in at the same time on medallion net, but now I'm wondering if that was because we each had the Princess Plus fare or if it was when I upgraded from free minutes to the 4 device option. I'm pretty sure it was both (the only time we have ever had to log out was when using the free minutes - not medallion net)....but maybe I'm wrong??

I know ... it has been so long since we cruised it is hard to remember.  Last few cruises were just DH & I and we had Princess + but early 2018 took son & DIL and  was 4 devices on one  (one at a time). Perhaps it had changed to allow all on at once.  Who knows how anything will be when we cruise in the future?????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omega1 said:

Would it be possible for people travelling together on different booking numbers (2 couples) to share the 4 device package? So one person buys the 4 device  package at $14.99 per day (less 50%) and all four people log in on a device each.

This would be $1.87pp per day for unlimited internet. Asking for a friend!😂🤣

Yes, we did this on the Sky in Jan 2020. My husband and I used 2 and my in-laws used the other 2. My kids used the free minutes that came with Platinum.

• Like 2

So this is how I am looking at the loss of the wifi minutes for platinum and elite.

Back before Medallion Net you, I believe that you could only buy packages of minutes, there was no unlimited (please correct me if I am wrong). When they introduced MedallionNet, on  the ships that had it, the only option you had was to buy an unlimited package, so if you had the loyalty perk of minutes, you could upgrade that to unlimited, BUT you could not buy a larger package of minutes. I felt like they were trying to get away from the "by the minute" internet.

So, in my opinion, it is not too much of a stretch that they decided to move away from giving internet minutes. For me, it doesn't matter because we have a Princess Plus fare, and even if we didn't we would get an unlimited package, but I do see how someone who only rarely logs in can feel like this is a loss.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Then it is a definite plus to have 50% off that instead of internet minutes when cruising with others

I would question whether or not the 50% discount applies to anything other than a single ddvice plan ... based on T&C #8 specifically saying this is only for Plats and Elites

My memories of the free internet minutes:

Logging on - checking email or uploading email -- being frustrated that it took so long - then logging off.

Standing in line waiting to ask the internet manager to restore the minutes I lost, because I forgot to log off and being treated like a child because of it.

My memories of unlimited MedallionNet internet:

Being frustrated on a transatlantic cruise when the speed slowed to a crawl after we passed Ponta Delgada on the way to Copenhagen.  Hope that has improved as we have a Baltic cruise scheduled for next April.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1