Journey Asia itineraries at risk?

Drebay

Booked on the Mar27 2022 Japan Intensive on the Journey. Was checking pricing again (as one does - was able to get two reductions already) and noticed it’s now sold out in all categories but “Guaranty Interior”. Did more digging and noticed every cruise from Nov02 2021 to Jun05 2022 is now “Sold Out” in all categories but Guaranty Interior. 

Effectively you can still get Journey Med itineraries on either side of the calendar, but all Journey itineraries for Asia / Oceania seem zeroed out. This can’t be good. I’m thinking we’re about to see a major schedule/itinerary shift. I’m hoping it’s just a rework to substitute other countries for the Oz/NZ itineraries (neither country likely to be open by late 21 / early 22) and we’ll be able to keep our Japan itin (which should be open by then). I’m hoping, but I don’t know that I’m hopeful….

Thoughts from others booked on Asia / Oceania itins on Journey?

Edited by Drebay

11 minutes ago, Drebay said:

I’m on 11/2 Athens to Dubai and agree that it doesn’t look good. Hope they will let us know the plan soon. I extended my final payment, but it is still due in a couple of weeks.

39 minutes ago, Drebay said:

Booked on the Mar27 2022 Japan Intensive on the Journey. Was checking pricing again (as one does - was able to get two reductions already) and noticed it’s now sold out in all categories but “Guaranty Interior”. Did more digging and noticed every cruise from Nov02 2021 to Jun05 2022 is now “Sold Out” in all categories but Guaranty Interior. 

Effectively you can still get Journey Med itineraries on either side of the calendar, but all Journey itineraries for Asia / Oceania seem zeroed out. This can’t be good. I’m thinking we’re about to see a major schedule/itinerary shift. I’m hoping it’s just a rework to substitute other countries for the Oz/NZ itineraries (neither country likely to be open by late 21 / early 22) and we’ll be able to keep our Japan itin (which should be open by then). I’m hoping, but I don’t know that I’m hopeful….

Good spot. We have two Asian itineraries booked, Nov 21 and April 22, and both are showing as you describe on a number of TA sites.

Oceania Cruises has cancelled all Asia-Australia-New Zealand cruises through June 2022.  So many countries there are locked down and dealing with either severe infection rates or at least very low vaccination rates.

I think it's very obvious that Australia/ New Zealand will not sail in 2022; they will need to jockey around all of the Asia cruises to bypass those countries.  I would think that will mean lots of sea days once they re work itineraries...

We are on a B2B from Tokyo to Athens Apr 26 - June 5 2022, not going to Australia/NZ on this itinerary, but something is going on there too.  I fear more cancellations.  This is our fourth attempt to see Petra.

Edited by TeaBag

We just had our March 2022 Oceania cruise Singapore-Tokyo cancelled last week.   As Jazzbeau has pointed out, it is most likely a combination of restrictions (lockdowns, quarantines,etc) and low vax rates.   At least we were notified 9 months prior to our sailing date, although I had been expecting this cancellation for quite some time.    

As for Japan cruises, perhaps Azamara is waiting to see the impact of the Tokyo Olympics and how the Japanese government reacts after that.   Only domestic spectators are allowed for the games.  This webpage has Japan's travel ban restrictions - section 1 seems to list the entire world 

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

They’ve cancelled all the Far East and all Pursuit for 2021. Sorry to everyone affected especially the crew 

Yes, that’s us cancelled. Got the email today. Our TA (our daughter) wasn’t impressed that they let us know before her!

49 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I have heard nothing from no one 🙁

I can still book tours on my cancelled cruises.  On the bright side though, they probably wouldn't be too crowded.  Lots of room on the bus.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My letter from Azamara was in my junk email though my travel agent also received an email. I understand,  yet am so sad our Japan Intensive was canceled—it was for our 25th anniversary. We will move it to 2023. This is our third lift and shift with Azamara. Soon one of them will actually sail!  I had just begun using mikes to book flights so the notice was timely. Good luck to all of us loyal Azamara cruisers. 

• Like 1

The writing has been on the wall for some time, apart from which, with our borders "closed" to international travel, we could not fly out.

Unfortunately for us, as we did not have an extension to final payment for our November 2nd cruise on Journey out of Athens, we jumped the gun and cancelled three weeks ago, moving to same time next year, new fare, no perks.

Edited by Baynanno1
additional information

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

I can still book tours on my cancelled cruises.  On the bright side though, they probably wouldn't be too crowded.  Lots of room on the bus.😀

It is good to retain a sense of humour in these prolonged, difficult times! 😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I guess since we're new to Azamara, we don't merit an email.  Cruise Critic is just the very best for keeping us all informed.  Thank you posters.

We are Discoverer member  and we haven’t got any email neither even if we had two cruises that got canceled , CC informed me.

5 hours ago, uktog said:

They’ve cancelled all the Far East and all Pursuit for 2021. Sorry to everyone affected especially the crew 

Thank you uktog;  your comment about the crew has been in my mind all day.   A very needed dose of perspective and reality, reminding me of how little I have to grump about.

I received an email from our TA this afternoon that our January 2022 Peru/Chile cruise was cancelled, which was the replacement for our November 2020 South American cruise.  It's actually a good thing, as we were going to cancel it anyway--we didn't feel it would be safe to travel to South America by then.  Hoping we can reschedule to our original Brazil-Argentina itinerary being offered in February 2023.

6 hours ago, Laganlady02 said:

Currently there are two Pursuit sailings in November 2021 still going ahead.

Not in my life. All my cruises were canceled.

taking the money and moving it to future AZ cruises in 2022.

Reading between the lines it looks like Quest will be doing Caribbean itineraries for American/Canadian guests and Journey the Med & Canaries for European/U.K. guests.

I realise the Caribbean is a possibility from this side of the pond but there are too many unknowns to make booking it feasible, certainly for those of us in the U.K. I assume cruises will be from Miami and currently travel to the US is not possible and the AZ vaccine appears to be problematic there.

Not sure how winter med itineraries will fair, weather in the Canaries is ok but we’ve been to Athens in January and it was freezing.