C&A Updated Awards Link

Oxo

13 hours ago, Oxo said:

They sectioned off a back portion of one of the MDRs which was used by D, D+ and P. They served special coffees, drinks, and breakfast. Not all ships did that.

True.

I don't think it's a published perk.

Our experience:

1. On a few of our cruises the MDR breakfasts were very nice, secluded with a sign and separate door. In my opinion this would be a great perk I would really like to see added. It really wouldn't cost much for  RCI. We've even seen some ships open up one of the specialty restaurants (for seating only) near the Windjammer area for the buffet breakfasts. You'd get your food through the regular line and take it to the restaurant.

2. Some MDR breakfasts were nothing more than a designated area and you still had to wait in the regular line. Not advertised. You had to ask.

3. Some ships didn't have it at all.

10 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

We started in 1989. There have been plenty of improvements and enhancements. 

FOOD - Do you think there is better quality, more selection, presentation, service now than previously (x nr of years ago?)

ENTERTAINMENT - Canned music, no more famous stars.

I cited two items.

What do you think are the improvements? 

CABINS, BIGGER SHIPS...........

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oxo said:

FOOD - Do you think there is better quality, more selection, presentation, service now than previously (x nr of years ago?)

I cited two items.

I remember seeing Marty Allen and Norm Crosby do shows on Royal Caribbean ships years ago.  Have not seen “famous stars” in a very long time.

4 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I remember seeing Marty Allen and Norm Crosby do shows on Royal Caribbean ships years ago.  Have not seen “famous stars” in a very long time.

Many of the stars we saw years ago, were:

5th Deminsions

Jack Jones

Charo -- Coochcoch (SP)

Julio Iglessios

Godfrey Cambridge 

Patty Page

Philips Diller

Platters

Forgot more than I can remember. Getting too old. Can't even spell. LOL

MOMENTS TO REMEMBER!

MDR Service Team - waiter, asst. waiter, bar person and Wine person.

FOOD 4 to 5 vegetables served by asst waiter . Desert trays with 4 selections.

Much more personalized service, selection. Lobster, crab, tiger shrimp. Better cuts of steak. No up charge for a better steak or lobster.

We still think cruising is the best bang for the buck. 

Just reflecting on momories of the more elegant experiences.Yes, even Formal nights!

HAPPY CRUISING!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Looking forward to partying with the two of you!!

Gosh yes...let the party begin.   

The way this has turned out...will be more than just getting back to cruising again to celebrate!  😉 

11 hours ago, Oxo said:

I cited two items.

Ok, if you want to go there, even though the original thread is about C&A perks

Food is subjective, but how far back are you wanting to compare.

Do you recall no real daily buffet like WJ. I remember eating in MDR with strict dining times for lunch and dinner. Early seating for dinner meant early breakfast and early lunch.

Midnight buffet is gone, but it was a horrible waste and unless you were at beginning of line, it was picked over. I guess it was a nice photo op.

The advent of hot stations in the WJ allows us to enjoy fresh stir fry and pasta. Big fan.The only thing similar was tableside pasta on Princess, but not everyone could get that.

But let's bring in loyalty perks to the equation. My Golden Pinnacle Badge gets me access to CK (might change) on ships that have it, Food is high quality and diverse. It also gets me the ability to just walk up and get a table, no real lines to speak of. Once seated at my 2 top the wait staff seem to work a little harder and a little quicker if we let them know we have things to do. I like that perk.

Next up Entertainment....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oxo said:

Many of the stars we saw years ago, were:

5th Deminsions

Jack Jones

Charo -- Coochcoch (SP)

Julio Iglessios

Godfrey Cambridge 

Patty Page

Philips Diller

Platters

Forgot more than I can remember. Getting too old. Can't even spell. LOL

MOMENTS TO REMEMBER!

Great let's key off this post for my entertainment discussion.

You couldn't pay me to see anyone here but the Platters, and that's a stretch. Well maybe Phyllis Diller, she's a hoot.  But the comedians working now are fairly entertaining as well. 

What I remember from the good old days was a tacky lounge singer and 5 or 6 showgirls. 

They always had the same Broadways Greatest Hits medley as the main show. 

Now we get full Broadway productions, Aqua Shows, Ice Capades, etc..

And who doesn't love drunken karaoke

Oh, and a Jazz band if you are into that. Nightly.

I miss ballroom dancing a little, but those days are behind us due to hubby's physical limitations

Next up, Ships...

• Like 2

Ships aren't just bigger, they are way better.

Our first few sailings were converted ocean liners. Hardly ideal for tropical cruising.

On Carnivale we had Uppers and Lowers, and you had to walk through shower to get to the toilet.

Dining room had 8 foot ceilings, very claustrophobic compared to the 3 story dining rooms today

Balconies rarely existed, and mainly for suite guests.

Cabin size constantly fluctuated. Princess was huge compared to Sovereign Class cabins, but the pendulum swung back and the cabins ended up decent sized. Plus they redesigned Oasis Class with Harmony and the Symphony into a very functional layout with the split closets

When was the last time you heard the comedian joke about fighting the shower curtain? The phone booth design may seem tight, but nothing like the constantly attacking shower curtains from days gone by. And once again the new showers on Harmony and Symphony have an improved design, less claustrophobic. Even room for two I'm told.

Next up, Coco Cay...

• Like 2

Coco Cay was a huge investment. It does generate a lot of revenue, but you can spend the day and not spend anything. Is it the same as it used to be, a deserted island? No, and that doesn't appeal to some, but having been there multiple times and unable to dock due to weather, the new pier is fabulous.

And the food is a huge improvement over Labadee. Big fan of Snack Shack, but the traditional buffet sections are done very well.

And the Oasis pool with it's swim up bar is not to be missed. 

Now the point of all this is Royal has invested billions of dollars to reinvent the cruising experience. Some is to keep up with other lines, but some is just to be different. Royal fought slides for years, but finally succumbed and they did a good job with them. TV screens, Rock Walls, bungee attractions, ziplines, flow riders, bumper cars, iFly, NorthStar, etc.. replaced skeet shooting and hitting golf balls off the fantail. That's a no brainer.

And I'll bet there's more to come with Icon in two years. They just keep moving forward.

22 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Ok, if you want to go there, even though the original thread is about C&A perks

Food is subjective, but how far back are you wanting to compare.

Do you recall no real daily buffet like WJ. I remember eating in MDR with strict dining times for lunch and dinner. Early seating for dinner meant early breakfast and early lunch.

Midnight buffet is gone, but it was a horrible waste and unless you were at beginning of line, it was picked over. I guess it was a nice photo op.

The advent of hot stations in the WJ allows us to enjoy fresh stir fry and pasta. Big fan.The only thing similar was tableside pasta on Princess, but not everyone could get that.

But let's bring in loyalty perks to the equation. My Golden Pinnacle Badge gets me access to CK (might change) on ships that have it, Food is high quality and diverse. It also gets me the ability to just walk up and get a table, no real lines to speak of. Once seated at my 2 top the wait staff seem to work a little harder and a little quicker if we let them know we have things to do. I like that perk.

Next up Entertainment....

OK, so your GP.

How would you be served in the MDR?

Three classes in the 3 dining rooms. 

MDR, BLU and MDR. You paid for what you get. Do you believe others get the same treatment as GP?

We cruised on the NCL NORWAY as our first cruise. That was the first Big One and a truly classic. 

Do you cruise only RCI? 

18 minutes ago, Oxo said:

OK, so your GP.

How would you be served in the MDR?

Three classes in the 3 dining rooms. 

MDR, BLU and MDR. You paid for what you get. Do you believe others get the same treatment as GP?

We cruised on the NCL NORWAY as our first cruise. That was the first Big One and a truly classic. 

Do you cruise only RCI? 

GP?

We used to sail other lines. Found a home with Royal back in 2008 with Mariner. It out wowed the competition. Only strayed once, and thatvwas a disastrous NCL TA. May try a few more if friends can talk us into it. Mardi Gras looks interesting.  But I looked at it today alongside Allure, and it's way smaller, but similar passenger capacity

25 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

GP?

We used to sail other lines. Found a home with Royal back in 2008 with Mariner. It out wowed the competition. Only strayed once, and thatvwas a disastrous NCL TA. May try a few more if friends can talk us into it. Mardi Gras looks interesting.  But I looked at it today alongside Allure, and it's way smaller, but similar passenger capacity

23 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

GP?

'My Golden Pinnacle Badge' GP

How many RCI cruises did it take to make GP?

I'M interested to see if we only cruised RCI if we would have been GP. Really not trying to be funny or rude.

We cruise other lines to experience variety. Each line has their + and -. To cruise one line 5 or more times in one year would not be an experience,  but a routine. Oasis class ships are all basically the same except decor. Been on them all: Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Symphony. Some changes we liked from the original Oasis to the Symphony. Others we did not. However, when we go on each one of those, they seem so similar and loose the excitement/experience.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oxo said:

'My Golden Pinnacle Badge' GP

How many RCI cruises did it take to make GP?

I'M interested to see if we only cruised RCI if we would have been GP. Really not trying to be funny or rude.

We cruise other lines to experience variety. Each line has their + and -. To cruise one line 5 or more times in one year would not be an experience,  but a routine. Oasis class ships are all basically the same except decor. Been on them all: Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Symphony. Some changes we liked from the original Oasis to the Symphony. Others we did not. However, when we go on each one of those, they seem so similar and loose the excitement/experience.

Probably around 50 or so. We stay for an experience we enjoy. I'm fairly certain if we try other lines again we'll just compare them to Royal. Also enjoy the convenience of cruising from home, but do love cruising Europe and/or Middle East at least once a year. Should have done Australia/New Zealand but Covid got in the way.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I'm wondering what perks now are going to make people say "Hey, maybe I should consider joining "Crown And Anchor!" now that some of the perks have temporarily gone away?

Please understand I am all for the safety protocols (I've spent the last year and a half on the front lines), but I wonder what that special perk will be that will draw people in?

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

...To cruise one line 5 or more times in one year would not be an experience,  but a routine. Oasis class ships are all basically the same except decor. Been on them all: Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Symphony. Some changes we liked from the original Oasis to the Symphony. Others we did not. However, when we go on each one of those, they seem so similar and loose the excitement/experience.

I am fortunate if I am able to sail once or twice a year.  All of my cruises, starting in 2012, have been on Oasis class ships, and I haven't lost the excitement.  In fact, I still enjoy, and look forward to, the familiarity with this class of ships.  I really like the updated clothes storage in the Harmony and Symphony cabins, but will sometimes book the Oasis or Allure if the price is right.  Frankly, the ship is my destination, and I seldom get off at the Caribbean ports.  At 81, I thoroughly enjoy the relaxation of provided meals, housekeeping, entertainment, and a week to spend in the unhurried company of one of my daughters.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not to sound ungrateful, but I'm wondering what perks now are going to make people say "Hey, maybe I should consider joining "Crown And Anchor!" now that some of the perks have temporarily gone away?

Please understand I am all for the safety protocols (I've spent the last year and a half on the front lines), but I wonder what that special perk will be that will draw people in?

That is RCI's problem to figure out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I don't think you join C&A in the beginning to get perks. It's something that is designed to keep you coming back. Even with any slight changes, it's the best loyalty program at sea. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

I miss ballroom dancing a little, but those days are behind us due to hubby's physical limitations

So you actually are pretending you're a woman John 🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Probably around 50 or so. We stay for an experience we enjoy. I'm fairly certain if we try other lines again we'll just compare them to Royal. Also enjoy the convenience of cruising from home, but do love cruising Europe and/or Middle East at least once a year. Should have done Australia/New Zealand but Covid got in the way.

Must do Australia/New Zealand! If you do,  do not waste time going around the entire Auzzie coast. Nothing to see on Northern coast. NZ worth it.

Our favorite is Santorini and Med.

South East Asia worth the travel, too.

Yes, we would have been GP if we only cruised RCI. 

STAY SAFE and HAPPY CRUISING!

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Must do Australia/New Zealand! If you do,  do not waste time going around the entire Auzzie coast. Nothing to see on Northern coast. NZ worth it.

Our favorite is Santorini and Med.

South East Asia worth the travel, too.

Yes, we would have been GP if we only cruised RCI. 

STAY SAFE and HAPPY CRUISING!

The 50 cruises was a lot of suites and solo trips. Closer to 100 is typical. Might want to re check your calculations