Dress code

jjsnonna

Does how we dress reflect who we are? Is our attire an indication of how we feel about ourselves, much less, others? I think that how we dress is an attitude. My attitude is to wear clothes that fit the guidelines of where I am patronizing. Any deviation to that would be upscale rather than to trend downward.

Environment, occasion, dress code (if any) determines my attire. I seek no attention or recognition for what I wear, but I am certainly cognizant of a slovenly appearance and where it does not belong.

Dressing nicely and appropriately makes me feel good. Whereas I feel no compulsion to please strangers, I take heed not to offend them as well. Whether it matters or not to other folks, proper attire, for me ensures that I am comfortable with myself and those around me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, bEwAbG said:

The first rule of dressing well, no matter the garment, is making sure it fits.  I'd take a dining room of people dressed neatly in shorts & polos over one in which the men are wearing cheap polyester jackets that were too small 30 lbs & 20 years ago.

It also peeves me when men don't get their suit jacket sleeves altered and instead have jacket sleeves so long it covers their thumbs. Same thing with trousers. Your trousers should not be pooling around your ankles. Get them hemmed! Last thing, the Brand label on your jacket sleeve is SUPPOSED to be removed. Leaving it on really shows how little you understand about what you're wearing. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It also peeves me when men don't get their suit jacket sleeves altered and instead have jacket sleeves so long it covers their thumbs. Same thing with trousers. Your trousers should not be pooling around your ankles. Get them hemmed! Last thing, the Brand label on your jacket sleeve is SUPPOSED to be removed. Leaving it on really shows how little you understand about what you're wearing. 

LOL - k they intend to return the items after the sailing...

bon voyage

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, kwokpot said:

Yes!

As an aside this particular practice is quite common in China where it's popular to show off the brand labels you're wearing.  

I was about to point out this may be cultural as I see it often in China  and some other Asian countries.    At least for me,   I find it interesting but it doesn't spoil my day.

36 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Does how we dress reflect who we are? Is our attire an indication of how we feel about ourselves, much less, others? I think that how we dress is an attitude. My attitude is to wear clothes that fit the guidelines of where I am patronizing. Any deviation to that would be upscale rather than to trend downward.

Environment, occasion, dress code (if any) determines my attire. I seek no attention or recognition for what I wear, but I am certainly cognizant of a slovenly appearance and where it does not belong.

Dressing nicely and appropriately makes me feel good. Whereas I feel no compulsion to please strangers, I take heed not to offend them as well. Whether it matters or not to other folks, proper attire, for me ensures that I am comfortable with myself and those around me.

Well said. My wife loves dressing up where ever we go and I try to compliment her attire in the way I dress. Gets me serious "Brownie" points too!😎 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When I worked in California there was definitely pressure to dress down.  Some places even thought khakis were too formal and jeans preferred.

Last mont in Nordstroms in Overland Park KS all the sales associates were in jeans--was surprised Nordstrom would elect such a dress code. 

6 minutes ago, KKB said:

Last mont in Nordstroms in Overland Park KS all the sales associates were in jeans--was surprised Nordstrom would elect such a dress code. 

Those people won't even sell me a cashmere sweater in summer.  I'm so done with them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Are dressy jeans similar to dressy athletic shoes?   I know someone on the board said he wore his dressy athletic shoes on the chic night.    Wonder if he was just speaking about the cost of those athletic shoes, expensive equals dressy.

No, times have moved on, they are a thing and have been a thing for a long time.  I don't understand why everyone thinks style and culture are frozen in time and there is one "correct" one.  The whole purpose of fashion is to constantly change.

Nordstrom even has a category called "dress sneakers"

https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/men/shoes/sneakers-athletic/dress-sneakers

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

No, times have moved on, they are a thing and have been a thing for a long time.  I don't understand why everyone thinks style and culture are frozen in time and there is one "correct" one.  The whole purpose of fashion is to constantly change.

Nordstrom even has a category called "dress sneakers"

https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/men/shoes/sneakers-athletic/dress-sneakers

A nice button shirt, Dress Black Jeans and a Black Leather Dress Sneakers Makes a sharp, contemporary outfit.

• Like 3

As I think back on it after reading a few posts much earlier, I should have worn my suit to the White House. The People's House, right, so My House, and I should be able to wear what I want instead of being forced to conform. Shorts and sandals, even. Why should I be uncomfortable in My House? Dress codes--ha! 

Note: sarcasm font unavailable. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

A nice button shirt, Dress Black Jeans and a Black Leather Dress Sneakers Makes a sharp, contemporary outfit.

Is this another "my jeans are expensive therefore ok" thread?

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is this another "my jeans are expensive therefore ok" thread?

I mean, why are people wearing trousers to a dressy night, those are casual clothes.

Dressy occasions clearly call for breeches:

1800-10_va-214x300.jpg

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I mean, why are people wearing trousers to a dressy night, those are casual clothes.

Dressy occasions clearly call for breeches:

1800-10_va-214x300.jpg

Does it come with a powdered wig?

• Haha 1

Celebrity requests on Evening Chic nights that you wear designer jeans.   No definition of designer is provided so my choice is Le Kirkland by Costco.  I would never wear jeans in the Caribbean but did so in Alaska.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

Celebrity requests on Evening Chic nights that you wear designer jeans.   No definition of designer is provided so my choice is Le Kirkland by Costco.  I would never wear jeans in rye Caribbean but did so in Alaska.

Isn't it designer jeans for women but NOT for men?  Or am I wrong about that?

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Why the gender difference? That makes absolutely no sense.

Women get more flexibility to say what's fashion.  Example.  Can men wear sleeveless shirts?  Can women?

20 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Why the gender difference? That makes absolutely no sense.

There is no difference it says designer jeans for both men and women. Besides I was trying to add a little levity, why does everyone have to be so serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

There is no difference it says designer jeans for both men and women. Besides I was trying to add a little levity, why does everyone have to be so serious.

The humor wasn't apparent. Sometimes an emoji helps with intent. Now if you quipped about 'I Guess kilts are out of the question for men since skirts are listed for women but not for men' that's a bit wittier.😉