What custom dishes have you ordered in Luminae?

towel-animal

51 minutes ago, gojigirl said:

My husband is a vegan.  Does anyone know if they do vegan or at least vegetarian meals?

You know, I'd email special needs. And plan for a first day visit. We do a lot of vegetarian by choice at home. And a lot of Indian and Mediterranean dishes are vegetarian. And I recall vegetarian dishes. But true vegan is not as common, as I'm sure you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

You know, I'd email special needs. And plan for a first day visit. We do a lot of vegetarian by choice at home. And a lot of Indian and Mediterranean dishes are vegetarian. And I recall vegetarian dishes. But true vegan is not as common, as I'm sure you know.

Good idea, thanks!

On 7/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, gbphipps said:

I have a severe mint allergy (love the taste but I prefer breathing).  From the old menus I have seen online I have seen a lot of mint used in their dishes.  A sprig for garnish I can pick off without issue but often it’s an integral part of a soup or sauce.  If I explain my allergy would it be possible on a meat with added sauce to get them to substitute a different sauce they are also serving that night?

I too have a mint allergy and have yet to across another who share's that condition until now! I discovered mine after always getting sick after brushing my teeth as a child.  Always a bummer to get excited about a watermelon & basil salad and find out it's actually mint, LOL. Like you, I've removed more dessert garnishes than I can count 😬

Edited by towel-animal

10 hours ago, towel-animal said:

I too have a mint allergy and have yet to across another who share's that condition until now! I discovered mine after always getting sick after brushing my teeth as a child.  Always a bummer to get excited about a watermelon & basil salad and find out it's actually mint, LOL. Like you, I've removed more dessert garnishes than I can count 😬

Wow!  Nice to meet another person with the same weird allergy.  I love the taste of mint but used to be sick with asthma, sinus infections and bronchitis all the time.  My allergist diagnosed aspirin sensitive asthma and fresh mint is my strongest trigger (its very high in salicylate).  I know what you mean about the watermelon salad!  I am always asking my husband to taste things for me to determine if those stray herbs include mint.

• 11 months later...

OP here — just wanted to report back that on Apex, my family of 3 did in fact special request an Italian themed dinner in Luminae through one of the Retreat Lounge managers a couple days in advance, for a night where none of the menus on offer particularly appealed to us. And it was the highlight of our cruise!

Per our request, the chef prepared a meal of:

• Brushetta with prosciutto 
  • Spicy pasta fagioli 
  • Bucatini amatriciana
  • Veal parmesan with roasted red peppers
  • Tiramisu 
  • Limoncello 

Mamma mia it was delish!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, towel-animal said:

OP here — just wanted to report back that on Apex, my family of 3 did in fact special request an Italian themed dinner in Luminae through one of the Retreat Lounge managers a couple days in advance, for a night where none of the menus on offer particularly appealed to us. And it was the highlight of our cruise!

Per our request, the chef prepared a meal of:

• Brushetta with prosciutto 
  • Spicy pasta fagioli 
  • Bucatini amatriciana
  • Veal parmesan with roasted red peppers
  • Tiramisu 
  • Limoncello 

Mamma mia it was delish!

So pleased for you! 

It really makes a difference if you arrange things in advance. It also adds to their ease if you group order…The odd time we have arranged something different (usually in Murano) we have all requested the ‘special order’.

3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I ordered spaghetti noodles with green pesto for the following evening.

Again the clear message that pre arranging is easier than last minute requests….

On 7/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, tfred said:

my guess that first up for making off menu choices are

• people who are allergic to certain things - gluten, garlic, low salt etc.   They will always be accommodated 
  • Next are special occasion folks - anniversary, Big 60 etc. They are glad to help you celebrate
  • last would be " I don't like the menu, its weird, or I only eat red meat". Low on their list of accommodating   That is why the Chicken, Beef or Fish everyday menu is there.  

There are some really bad eaters out there (formerly know as "picky") who dont really like food.  Makes me wonder what they are doing in Luminae or Blu since that menu is more "refined' and available for review prior to booking   Want to enjoy the Retreat and the suite - Great, but the food is a package deal.  The newer ships the MDR menu doesnt appear to be an option save the Everyday options - (which should be good enough).  It isn't a custom kitchen just like any other restaurant in the world 

I was often given the Blu menu when I found nothing on the wonderful Luminae menu, as I do not eat seafood. I am grateful for that option. I do not choose a cruise based on a menu-it's destination- then date for me...we enjoy the Summit suite perks & we LOVE luminae -yummy food and staff.

Bernadette

We were on Equinox in April and I have to eat gluten free.  Personally, I do not think they bend over backwards(or any way) in accommodating what I would like the next day based on the menu.  It’s always no we cant do it.  But, we were in Murano for our second dinner that cruise and asked for same waiter as we really liked him.  When it came time for dessert I was going to have sorbet as I already had soufflé first visit.  The waiter said, no , he, knew we were coming back for dinner and had been thinking of a special dessert for me.  He made it tableside and he was so proud of himself and it was delicious.  The next day I saw him around the ship and he was still talking about my dessert!  Even if the dessert had been horrible I would have eaten it with a smile on my face because he was just so happy!  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, wr2next said:

My wife has severe reaction to garlic.   When we made our cruise reservation we stated that.   When we came into Luminae the first night, the head chef can out told us what on the menu had garlic in it and then also suggest a couple of alternatives to the menu that he was happy to make as a substitute.   He did that every time we came in.  It was awesome!   He could not have been nicer or more accommodating.   He also came out to see how she enjoyed her meal (it was spectacular everytime). The staff of Luminae and the kitchen folks we all awesome.   So while we did not specifically ask for any custom meals, they did customize many meal for us.   The experience solidified our making suite reservations everytime we are on Celebrity.

I m anaphylactic to a common food.  We’ve been in Aqua and Luminae and they have really made sure I can eat safely.  I get the menu for the next day.  So, in a way, customizing.  

• Like 1

Do custom desserts count? 

One scoop of vanilla gelato, shot of expresso, and a shot of Bailey’s. 

Also, I am a huge fan of shrimp cocktail but find the cocktail sauce a little bland so ai asked for a small serving of horseradish on the side.  Every time after that I received my horseradish with my cocktail sauce. 

• Like 2

I've asked for chicken instead of things like game hen.  In March, I asked, since sometime we can get Indian food or Philippine food the next day, I jokingly said that since the officers are greek, could we get Greek food?  One night a few nights later they made us a special greek meal.

I enjoy a broiled breakfast Kipper. This is a dish difficult to find almost anywhere else these days.

Was very pleased on embarkation day lunch in Luminae when I inquired about Kippers and was told they'd be available every morning if wished. I wished them so to my delight several mornings and they were prepared to perfection.

36 minutes ago, Kilroyshere said:

I enjoy a broiled breakfast Kipper. This is a dish difficult to find almost anywhere else these days.

Was very pleased on embarkation day lunch in Luminae when I inquired about Kippers and was told they'd be available every morning if wished. I wished them so to my delight several mornings and they were prepared to perfection.

Broiled fish for breakfast?  Isn't that somewhat aromatic?

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Scotch smoked Kippers and various varieties of herrings were traditional breakfasts all over the UK, Ireland, throughout Scandinavia, North Atlantic and the Canadian Maritime Provence, who produce them.

Scandinavian crewed ships e.g.; NCL offer Kippers on their MDR menu.  They are quite nice with scrambled eggs and are an alternative to smoked bacon.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:28 PM, towel-animal said:

I've read that if given 24 hours notice, Luminae can prepared off-menu dishes on request. I'm curious to know what such dishes people have ordered on their past cruises that they'd recommend. Huge foodie here and am looking for some inspiration for my upcoming cruise 🙂

When we were in one of the royal suites on millennium, we have tried to order a croquembouche with a minimum height of 3 feet which they denied (it was asked as a joke), but they did honor our beef rendang an Indonesian dish that came with all the sides, yellow rice, pickled vegetables.  Chef at Luminae at that time was from Indonesia.  I suggest find out where chef is from first and then deciding.   It was as authentic as they could get it, given lack of certain ingredients.  It was fun.  He also came out and wanted to know if we liked it.   

• Like 1

I've only preordered once and that was spaghetti noodles with green pesto. One night I ordered a pork dish from Luminae's menu. It was not good. Of coarse my waiter asked what can I get you. I said I really liked my prawns appetizer. The waiter ordered the appetizer as a main dish for me. It was really good.

When we were on a cruise a few years ago, I recall ordering some escargot (love it), but my husband would not even try.  However he did like the buttery garlic sauce that they "swim" in, and said it would be good to dip bread in.  The next night in Luminae, the maitre d' (yes, maitre d', not the waiter) brought him a small bowl full of the yummy sauce and a lot of crusty bread!  He loved it!

On another cruise, one evening in the Luminae, there was nothing on the menu that we really liked or wanted.  The waiter had come to "know" us and our likes.  So he said he would bring a spicy pasta for my husband and a seafood dish for me.  We didn't even ask ....... but everything was delicious.  We have always been cordial and appreciative towards the waitstaff, never demanding or rude.  It goes a long way......we have always had wonderful experiences in the Luminae......and the main reason we book sky suites.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:05 AM, zitsky said:

I prefer raw, but that's not a complimentary option (and the sushi quality on Celebrity is not really up there). My best breakfasts ever have been at Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.

• Like 1