Have you ever requested a kettle for your room? Did you get one?

BuckeyeMark

11 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

There ARE kettles.  I’ve been in higher level cabins where they are standard and have used and enjoyed making my own coffee. The supplied kettle did not burn the ship down because Kettles are not the fire hazard people make them to be. BTW that’s why select ships out of the UK have kettles in every room.  

So … back to the original questions: have you ever asked for a kettle? Did you get one?

Not on Princess unless the ship is out of Southampton and this was just starting in 2018 or so. It didn't matter what level of cabin.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'd really like a kettle to make coffee first thing in the morning. Yes, I know you can get a thermos of hot water via room service. Yes, I know they have coffee in food court upstairs. I want my own kettle to make my own coffee on my own balcony. #coffeesnob

So... how do I get one without being in a high dollar suite? I'd really like a kettle in my balcony room.

Have you asked your room steward for a kettle? Did you get one? Thoughts on how to get a kettle? 
Please help keep this thread on track - it's about kettles. Thanks!

A big fat NO because it is a heating device and on the prohibited list.

But it does seem illogical. If it is OK for every cabin to have a kettle on cruises leaving Southampton, why do these same kettles suddenly become safety hazards when leaving other ports ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But it does seem illogical. If it is OK for every cabin to have a kettle on cruises leaving Southampton, why do these same kettles suddenly become safety hazards when leaving other ports ?

Again, it depends on the availability of crew to spend the time to inspect and test the kettles.  Because of the cultural necessity of kettles for the British, they shift manpower to dealing with this.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Again, it depends on the availability of crew to spend the time to inspect and test the kettles.  Because of the cultural necessity of kettles for the British, they shift manpower to dealing with this.

And what is the test?

and where is this shift from ? what area does the Brits not use that say Americans do use ?

But it is just a one off inspection, perhaps annually.  

I believe the Kettle the OP is referring to are like this: It has no open burners/warmers, auto shut off as soon as the water rapid boils...  We had one and loved it!  I used ours for Pressed coffee.  

image.png

Edited by MishelleMcc
remove duplicate pics

2 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

image.png.de430bf4c4d8262b42ea6d3007ec35fb.pngI believe the Kettle the OP is referring to are like this: It has no open burners/warmers, auto shut off as soon as the water rapid boils...  We had one and loved it!  I used ours for Pressed coffee.  

image.png

image.png

Which is the sort of kettle found in just about every home in the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

And what is the test?

The entire function of the unit is tested, including a thermostatically controlled test of the auto-off switch.

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and where is this shift from ? what area does the Brits not use that say Americans do use ?

The electricians will take time from other maintenance to work on these, or they will add more assistant electricians.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But it is just a one off inspection, perhaps annually.  

Typically quarterly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

I believe the Kettle the OP is referring to are like this: It has no open burners/warmers, auto shut off as soon as the water rapid boils

And again, the open burner is not the problem.  This has a heating element inside the plastic kettle.  If the auto-shut off fails, the heating element will continue to heat the plastic and cause it to melt and burn.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Which is the sort of kettle found in just about every home in the UK.

And as consumer articles in the UK advise, when not in use, turn the kettle off at the socket (or in the US you would need to unplug, as our sockets aren't switched).  Does everyone do this?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

And again, the open burner is not the problem.  This has a heating element inside the plastic kettle.  If the auto-shut off fails, the heating element will continue to heat the plastic and cause it to melt and burn.

And as consumer articles in the UK advise, when not in use, turn the kettle off at the socket (or in the US you would need to unplug, as our sockets aren't switched).  Does everyone do this?

No, of course not! We only turn ours off when we go on holiday. 

we have some switched sockets in our house

j/s

If the auto cut off fails, the turn on switch on the kettle wiil not turn off and you would know it (Steam) and turn it off manually. You do not leave a kettle while its boiling, you are waiting to make a cup of tea. I however have never seen this happen.

I've been in suites, mini-suites, outside, inside window and balcony on many different Princess ships. Nary a kettle EXCEPT on the Diamond Princess during an Asian cruise in an inside room. And as far as trying to smuggle one on, I don't think so. My husband is always called to he naughty room if he packs his CPAP (has a heater).

15 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

This is helpful. Not encouraging but helpful!  If someone in a penthouse suite can’t get one I don’t think I’ll be getting one either!

I’ve sailed Princess out of Southampton numerous times and, despite what other people are saying on here, have never had a kettle provided in my cabin. P&O are a completely different matter. It irritates me no end!  In answer to the original question, I did ask & was told no.

Edited by portiaqueen
Spelling

45 minutes ago, cjpj said:

I've been in suites, mini-suites, outside, inside window and balcony on many different Princess ships. Nary a kettle EXCEPT on the Diamond Princess during an Asian cruise in an inside room. And as far as trying to smuggle one on, I don't think so. My husband is always called to he naughty room if he packs his CPAP (has a heater).

NEVER pack the CPAP. Go ahead and pack the heater (if he must), but not the machine. You can do without the heater/humidifier, but not the CPAP.

Example: our suitcases (2) were allowed to fall into the harbor during the loading. It was a whole pallet of suitcases (or whatever those rigs are called). It was the first and absolutely the last time I had packed the camera in the suitcase due to space/weight. Result: soggy clothes, ruined paperwork, dead camera. And the insurance didn't come close to paying for all the damage.

What if the suitcase doesn't make it onto the ship/airplane (it happens).

• Like 3

We have received kettles on at least one Princess cruise not out of Southampton, but it is not the “norm”. It helps if you walk around the ship calling everyone “governor” in your worst British accent. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
It helps the rest of the passengers have a laugh.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

We have received kettles on at least one Princess cruise not out of Southampton, but it is not the “norm”. It helps if you walk around the ship calling everyone “governor” in your worst British accent. 

YOU WIN!  Best post in this thread!  LOL

2 hours ago, portiaqueen said:

I’ve sailed Princess out of Southampton numerous times and, despite what other people are saying on here, have never had a kettle provided in my cabin. P&O are a completely different matter. It irritates me no end!  In answer to the original question, I did ask & was told no.

Sorry, but in recent years,  all cruises out of Southampton have had kettles in every cabin. 

When did you last sail out of Southampton? 

Or perhaps the kettle in my cabin was a figment of my imagination! 

So..... the thorny question of kettles in cabins raises it's head again. Unfortunately, buckeyeMark, I can't answer your question about requesting a kettle for your room on a  Princess ship although it is worth trying at the customer service desk and elevating the request if you are told 'no'. We had that experience on Celebrity and, once we had spoken to the hotel director, a kettle was promptly brought to our lowly inside cabin.

Kettles with 'hostess trays' are standard  facilities in all staterooms where a ship has its home port in the UK and we have had kettles in our cabins on many sailings  from different countries. I love being able to boil water for a 'proper' cup of tea in my cabin without having to trek to a café or have to wait for lukewarm water to be delivered! 

I did an internet search for fires caused by Kettles with the auto shut-off and found 1 in New Zealand in 2018. There are millions of these kettles used every day in the UK alone without incident so the question of kettles being a fire hazard is a lot less than other items like hair straighteners which are allowed to be brought on ships.

Diamond Princess  sailing from Tokyo. The arrow is pointing to the kettle

301612872_DiamondPrincess.thumb.jpg.a7dec7afc6f28a426271e2d49e4d8333.jpg

Sun Princess sailing from Sydney, Australia

1097184643_SunPrincess.thumb.jpg.fc47a5f519882a27749b2075798c4ee6.jpg

Celebrity Constellation sailing from Singapore

970339317_CelebrityConstellation(22).thumb.JPG.ac255f9e568009f6192dfae546ef9d54.JPG

Celebrity Infinity sailing from Miami

1200215380_CelebrityMillenium(1).thumb.JPG.dee10905806abe85729abd0bce86f668.JPG

Celebrity Millennium sailing from Hong Kong

793174683_CelebrityMillenium(2).thumb.JPG.be1a357ef07952a77bb8303fcae23b30.JPG

Costa NeoRomantica sailing from Mauritius488222407_CostaNeoRomantica(24)_LI.thumb.jpg.5fc3b8ecf7fa146bae24e1ae40ac1f06.jpg

Explorer OTS ailing from Sydney1153971625_ExplorerOTS.thumb.JPG.827549df85b1862f390d935877543ce4.JPG

P&O Oriana sailing from Southampton

553917579_Oriana(1).thumb.JPG.a99ab831a83580f45149af8d636845fe.JPG

MSC Armonia sailing from Havana

1212421748_MSCArmonia(12).thumb.JPG.ec57e5d802c8c1f566a72fafd711ed92.JPG

Fred Olsen Boudicca sailing from Liverpool

906110113_FOBoudicca.thumb.JPG.acfef654cf5faaa064094a808c5d059a.JPG

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Izzywiz said:

So..... the thorny question of kettles in cabins raises it's head again. Unfortunately, buckeyeMark, I can't answer your question about requesting a kettle for your room on a  Princess ship although it is worth trying at the customer service desk and elevating the request if you are told 'no'. We had that experience on Celebrity and, once we had spoken to the hotel director, a kettle was promptly brought to our lowly inside cabin.

Kettles with 'hostess trays' are standard  facilities in all staterooms where a ship has its home port in the UK and we have had kettles in our cabins on many sailings  from different countries. I love being able to boil water for a 'proper' cup of tea in my cabin without having to trek to a café or have to wait for lukewarm water to be delivered! 

I did an internet search for fires caused by Kettles with the auto shut-off and found 1 in New Zealand in 2018. There are millions of these kettles used every day in the UK alone without incident so the question of kettles being a fire hazard is a lot less than other items like hair straighteners which are allowed to be brought on ships.

Diamond Princess  sailing from Tokyo. The arrow is pointing to the kettle

Sun Princess sailing from Sydney, Australia

Celebrity Constellation sailing from Singapore

Celebrity Infinity sailing from Miami

Celebrity Millennium sailing from Hong Kong

Costa NeoRomantica sailing from Mauritius

Explorer OTS ailing from Sydney

P&O Oriana sailing from Southampton

MSC Armonia sailing from Havana

Fred Olsen Boudicca sailing from Liverpool

Thank you for carefully photoshopping a kettle in all these pictures.  I am sure that it's all a big photoshop job because so many have assured me that kettles are a giant fire danger and that any ship where you even say the word "kettle" spontaneously combusts and burns like a Roman Candle! 😉

I kid, I kid... but this should help us all see that (1) it's possible to have a kettle on a cruise ship without it being a safety risk and (2) some Princess ships do have them.  Let's end the discussion about kettle safety.  That's settled.  Back to the original OP!  The question remains: HOW DO I GET ONE?

I like the idea of asking the hotel director.  Anybody else got an idea?

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Example: our suitcases (2) were allowed to fall into the harbor during the loading. It was a whole pallet of suitcases (or whatever those rigs are called). It was the first and absolutely the last time I had packed the camera in the suitcase due to space/weight. Result: soggy clothes, ruined paperwork, dead camera. And the insurance didn't come close to paying for all the damage.

What if the suitcase doesn't make it onto the ship/airplane (it happens).

Why wouldn't the cruise line pay for all the damage?

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Why wouldn't the cruise line pay for all the damage?

Until the baggage cart is actually on the ship, the baggage is "not under the cruise line's control" and therefore not their responsibility, but that of the port or the longshore company.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I like the idea of asking the hotel director.  Anybody else got an idea?

They literally do not have them on other ships on Princess. Asking won't help. They can't magically appear. 

Edited by Coral