Denied boarding

Tiffanymom

22 hours ago, Tiffanymom said:

Received a message from our travel agent Wednesday  informing us Hal would deny boarding for our Alaska cruises.

Wow, I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I can't imagine how disappointing that would be after anxiously waiting for a vacation.  

22 hours ago, zgscl said:

I did find this on their FAQ 

"Unfortunately, we are unable to accept guests who are dependent on oxygen or dialysis on sailings during our restart phase (through December 2021). This includes guests who use oxygen concentrators."

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.html

Well, that answers that.  It appears that CPAC machines would also not be allowed.  But would it not be considerate for HAL to include such a provision in a booking confirmation?

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Well, that answers that.  It appears that CPAC machines would also not be allowed.  But would it not be considerate for HAL to include such a provision in a booking confirmation?

I believe CPAP would be allowed unless it is one with oxygen supplement. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

It's very important to undersstand that CPAP machines do NOT require additional oxygen to function. They simply increase the pressure of the existing air flowing to the lungs. I have used a CPAP machine for thirty years. That use does not indicate any increased risk for contracting any ailment.  

• Like 6

I have found that the issue with CPAP - is having a long enough power cord. Once upon a time - they would provide a long extension power cord.  Learned my lesson one time where they "ran out" of long cords (cannot remember which cruise line). Now I bring my own. Long enough to wrap across or around the room and get to the corner of the far wall. I also bring a velcro floor cord cover to eliminate the cord trip hazard (covers the cord, and sticks to the carpet). I also bring a AC muti-outlet that is NOT surge protected - so no issues with that (but usage was under...discussion...at one port). I never bring my humidifier - ocean air is humid enough for me (and less to carry).

Edited by RGEDad
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:18 PM, zgscl said:

I believe CPAP would be allowed unless it is one with oxygen supplement. 

That shows how little I know about CPAP's.  I thought that they all used an oxygen supplement.  Sorry to all you CPAP users.  I stand corrected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Keep the email and take it with you. 

Very good thought, I absolutely will do this. I will bring my CPAP as well and certainly will not refuse delivery of distilled water. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, Tiffanymom said:

I also believe that Hal has violated the America Disability Act . i am filing against a violation with the Justice department.

Since the ships are foreign flagged, the ADA has no merit.  

On 7/25/2021 at 5:26 AM, Roz said:

After the debacle with the Diamond Princess and HAL's World Cruise, I think cruise lines are aware that they were allowing passengers to board with medical conditions that could compromise their safety and welfare as well as the safety and welfare of others onboard. 

What debacle happened with HAL’s World Cruise that was on a par with the Diamond Princess?  I was on board that voyage, but clearly missed some important events.

4 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Since the ships are foreign flagged, the ADA has no merit.  

The US Supreme Court, in a 2005 decision, held that Title III of the ADA is applicable to foreign-flag cruise ships in U.S. waters.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-1388.ZS.html

Edited by cruiserchuck
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, zgscl said:

So I emailed Hal special needs and they have confirmed that there is no issue with CPAP provided no oxygen component.

That makes sense.  I think the issue is the oxygen.  IF there is a covid outbreak on board, the oxygen may be needed by those afflicted.  HAL would not want to deprive them or others who need it.  There is only a finite supply on board.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

HAL would not want to deprive them or others who need it.  There is only a finite supply on board.

If one brings their OWN oxygen concentrator on board how is that depriving anyone else of the ships supply? That is what I don't understand...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

If one brings their OWN oxygen concentrator on board how is that depriving anyone else of the ships supply? That is what I don't understand...

Room to store it. The ship is maximizing its own supply, and there may be safety regulations about how much they can carry.

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

Room to store it. The ship is maximizing its own supply, and there may be safety regulations about how much they can carry.

An Oxygen concentrator as shown below is small and stays with the guest or in their staterooms... there are no tanks for storage

POG.jpg.cd292e4db2ee4c2c8b1d482076904398.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

What debacle happened with HAL’s World Cruise that was on a par with the Diamond Princess?  I was on board that voyage, but clearly missed some important events.

@Lido - Lanaigave the answer above, along with passengers lacking enough mental acuity to make flight reservations and arrangements to get home.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

An Oxygen concentrator as shown below is small and stays with the guest or in their staterooms... there are no tanks for storage

POG.jpg.cd292e4db2ee4c2c8b1d482076904398.jpg

I think I misread your post. I was thinking oxygen. Indeed, the generator should not be a problem. Perhaps the cruise lines are concerned about providing for the passenger in case the generator fails.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

I think I misread your post. I was thinking oxygen. Indeed, the generator should not be a problem. Perhaps the cruise lines are concerned about providing for the passenger in case the generator fails.

May be.. I don't claim to understand their logic I only use mine per doctors orders "as needed" and haven't had to use in in over 4 months...🤷🏼‍♂️

But I still lug it when I travel (just in case)

35 minutes ago, Babr said:

If that were the case, why would they only have the policy lasting until December 31, 2021?  Wouldn't it be a permanent policy if that was their concern?  HAL specified that this is only in effect during their "restart phase."  This sounds like they are using an abundance of caution to make sure those with severe enough lung disease requiring supplemental oxygen don't get even a mild case of Covid which could be more likely to become deadly.  JMHO.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If that were the case, why would they only have the policy lasting until December 31, 2021?  Wouldn't it be a permanent policy if that was their concern?  HAL specified that this is only in effect during their "restart phase."  This sounds like they are using an abundance of caution to make sure those with severe enough lung disease requiring supplemental oxygen don't get even a mild case of Covid which could be more likely to become deadly.  JMHO.

I think it has to do with the agreements in place to restart. Cruise lines had to improve their medical facilities and make provisions for the possibility of patients needing care on board until they could be transferred. That is why they are maximizing oxygen supplies to the limit and reserving them for emergencies.

People requiring oxygen or dialysis are not being allowed to sail now because of the ongoing critical nature of their care and the need for supplies which may be difficult to replace in an emergency.

Yes, for now it is stated to be a temporary measure, but who is to say how long this will last. Most people did not expect to see such a spike in cases now though no one should be surprised when you consider how this variant decimated India.

As long as people resist getting vaccinated, it will continue to circulate. Takes more time and suffering to reach herd immunity that way.

Edited by Babr