How many months left do you need on a passport us closed loop cruise

maggieq

36 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

How did you figure out where they were finally sent for processing?

When we realized they had only begun processing (and counting) after having had our renewal applications for 6 weeks, we called. After 2.5 hours on hold, we learned both our files were in NH and that our odds were “good” for having our passports in 8 more weeks. This information wasn’t available when we checked our status on their website.

Edited by Silkroad

23 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Yes, I’ve been told six months for international trips.

You would be able to use your government issued birth certificate (not a hospital birth registration) and your drivers license for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. Many thanks to @CHEZMARYLOUwho reminded me that we could do this if our renewed passports didn’t turn up in time.

Also, if your birth certificates last name does not read the same as your DL, i was told you need to take your marriage certificate.  I am divorced so they told me I need to also bring those papers......good grief....

6 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

Also, if your birth certificates last name does not read the same as your DL, i was told you need to take your marriage certificate.  I am divorced so they told me I need to also bring those papers......good grief....

What a pain! I hope you receive your passports very soon.

Just sent mine in a little over 1 week ago via USPS priority express. I knew it was received but then saw this thread and was concerned about the 5-6 weeks before they show it in process.

Thanks for the heads up on tracking status! I was able to login and see that my renewal was “In Process”. The update said as of August, they are processing expedited renewal within a 6 week timeframe plus shipping may add an additional 6 weeks to the door to door timeframe. Additionally, I sent in a check for expedited shipping on the return of the new passport. As with anything government related, it is too big and slow…the renewal website had a fee for expedited return shipping via priority express that was several years out fo date.

10 hours ago, rM3panno said:

Thanks for the heads up on tracking status! I was able to login and see that my renewal was “In Process”. The update said as of August, they are processing expedited renewal within a 6 week timeframe plus shipping may add an additional 6 weeks to the door to door timeframe. Additionally, I sent in a check for expedited shipping on the return of the new passport.

It looks like you're likely to have a much better response time than we did. Once ours were "in process" (which didn't happen for us until 6 weeks after they'd received them!) it took just under 9 weeks for ours to arrive via UPS 1-day air (mine on Saturday & DH's yesterday). Maybe they've worked through some backlog or more people are back at the offices. Best of luck to you.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

My PP expires in one year.  Wondering if I should just do it now.  Any rules about this?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

Yes. Your passport does not have to be expired for you to renew it. If you want to renew both a valid passport book and passport card, you must submit both documents. For example, if you can submit a passport book, but you lost your passport card, you cannot renew the passport card. If you want to renew either a valid book or a card, you must submit the specific document you want to renew. 

We recommend renewing your passport well ahead of any planned international travel, even if it still has a few months validity left on it. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Learn more about your destination's entry requirements.

35 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

Yes. Your passport does not have to be expired for you to renew it. If you want to renew both a valid passport book and passport card, you must submit both documents. For example, if you can submit a passport book, but you lost your passport card, you cannot renew the passport card. If you want to renew either a valid book or a card, you must submit the specific document you want to renew. 

We recommend renewing your passport well ahead of any planned international travel, even if it still has a few months validity left on it. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Learn more about your destination's entry requirements.

Thanks @LGW59.  I was aware of the 6 month rule but was not sure about how far ahead of that time I could renew.  

i mailed my passport for renewal on june 3rd. The tracking number shows it was physically delivered 3 days later. The passport website didn't list it as received until june 28.

5 weeks after that I got a letter that I had an error on my form and to reprint it. I've done so and I'm awaiting the next step. But so far I'd expect TWO MONTHS from when you mail it before anyone actually looks at it.

It is the country you are entering that sets the entry requirements - you can verify that information on the internet by country.  On several trips where we were entering multiple countries we did surrender our passports to the ship in order for them to manage the border control issues.  Our trip to Russia using a full entry passport required 6 months from the end of our travels.  Also some cruise lines make that requirement - check with your cruise line.  If your cruise is Caribbean and you are a US resident you should not need any specific time on your passport.

My new passport is "in the mail" according to the website.  I sent my renewal application mid July, They received it July 20th and I am supposed to get my new passport August 13th (tomorrow).  I paid for expedited processing and also 2nd day air shipping.  So for me it was only about 4 weeks.  I had also heard the horror stories of 18 weeks and was worried because I have a final payment due early Sept. (assuming the website isn't lying)

Sent mine in, expedited, and it was received by the Post Office in Philadelphia on 7/22. It was listed by the Passport Office as received 7/24. The website showed it 'In Process' several days later with a six week processing time. It didn't list it as having gone any place else. There is an assigned locator number but I don't see anyway to use that on the website. Does the locator number provide anymore information?

Last time I renewed, expedited, was in 2011 and the turn around then was only about three weeks.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, sasset said:

Sent mine in, expedited, and it was received by the Post Office in Philadelphia on 7/22. It was listed by the Passport Office as received 7/24. The website showed it 'In Process' several days later with a six week processing time. It didn't list it as having gone any place else. There is an assigned locator number but I don't see anyway to use that on the website. Does the locator number provide anymore information?

Last time I renewed, expedited, was in 2011 and the turn around then was only about three weeks.

Thanks

You are just a few days behind me.  I saw the Approved notice this Monday with an expected arrival date of tomorrow, before that it said the same thing as you're seeing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TFLG said:

You are just a few days behind me.  I saw the Approved notice this Monday with an expected arrival date of tomorrow, before that it said the same thing as you're seeing.

That's great news, thanks for sharing. I'm a few days behind the person you quoted (delivered July 26) with expedited service and mailing paid for. I fly out September 17, and didn't think there was any chance I'd get my new one in time, so I've entered driver license and birth certificate information for my two upcoming cruises. I intend to also bring my marriage certificate for the surname change. I'm also bringing my Global Entry card as a back-up (though I don't know it would actually help).

Your post gives me hope. 

DW, DD, and I all applied for renewals at our local township office ~7-July. 

Took until 30-July for the state dept system to register them as received.

Mine and DW's show as "In process".
DD's is already in the mail as of yesterday, 17-Aug

On 8/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

If your cruise is Caribbean and you are a US resident you should not need any specific time on your passport.

Not true.

For cruise ship passengers, Martinique requires a passport valid for six months beyond completion of the trip. 

Still waiting on mine. It went into processing on July 14. Last week I decided to call to add the expedited service to it. I waited on hold for 90 minutes and when I finally got through the person just sent me an email with a form I had to fill out. I can't believe they didn't just have this form on the website somewhere. When I asked to check on the status they said they had no access to that system and all they could do was send me this form. A week later and I am still waiting on my expedite form to be "accepted" by the passport office. 

I sent in my renewal on July 20. Sent express, paid for expedited and express return. On July 23, it showed as "IN PROCESS." I received my new passport in the mail on August 14, just shy of 4 weeks door to door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Update here.  Perhaps for whatever reason I was lucky or the backlog is gone.  I mailed the renewal application DS82, photos, check, and old passport by overnight mail to the Passport Office in Philadelphia on December 3rd.  I paid for expedited service and paid for the express mail return too.  Today (December 18) I received my new passport in the mail.  So 15 days total including mailing times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Update here.  Perhaps for whatever reason I was lucky or the backlog is gone.  I mailed the renewal application DS82, photos, check, and old passport by overnight mail to the Passport Office in Philadelphia on December 3rd.  I paid for expedited service and paid for the express mail return too.  Today (December 18) I received my new passport in the mail.  So 15 days total including mailing times!

I renewed in July with all the same express methods and it took just under 4 weeks, so it's definitely speeding up.

If you have Global Entry, don't forget to update your passport number and expiration. It might take a full month before it recognizes your new number. If you get an error, just be patient and try again in a few weeks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Wow!! 

Glad you got them promptly. You're probably wishing you hadn't paid extra for the expediting.