New Covid Policy - Some of you will be forfeiting your $$$

1 hour ago, PTAngel said:

I went into this link but so far it does not apply to me.  We are cruising October 17, 2021 from Bayonne, NJ.  I know Oasis hasn't had its test cruise yet.  I guess they are waiting for that cruise & seeing how ships are doing from other ports besides Florida.  Not all ships leave from FL.

With the current fourth wave, the protocols are only going to get more strict over the next few months,,, not less restrictive. Royal had at least 8 covid positive passengers last week (6 fully vaccinated), so testing, testing, and more testing is coming our way. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RumJunkie said:

If you are unvaccinated, you still have to have that 3-day test.  BUT... you also get a day of sail rapid test - which is complimentary on some cruises.   Why not offer that to vaccinated cruisers?  If you do not have test results, you get a day of sailing test complimentary or reasonable priced. In my case, why not give me the test on the Mariner 3-days prior...?   But RCCL says no. 

Because it takes infrastructure set up to handle testing at check-in. The cruise line knows approximately how many unvaxxed passengers they have on each cruise and can schedule nurses and lab techs to do the on-site testing. 

If you now add in the vaccinated passengers who "didn't get their test results back" (i.e., couldn't be bothered to follow the protocol and get a test done), there will be an unknown number (hundreds of more people) that need to be tested. The goal is to get people in and out without causing social distancing problems. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RumJunkie said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

As of yesterday, August 1 to December 31st sailings... click for details based on departure port.  Some appear to be indefinite.

I also complained that I am finding out about this through websites (here) and FB and not from them. RCCL insist emails were send out.  Everyone got that email right?  Wait... no one?  How odd...  🙂

I did receive e-mails on Friday for my August 14th cruise.

• Like 1

And with the resurgence of the virus (Delta), are we heading back to the way it was last spring/summer where it was a freakin nightmare to get tested? They really  should look into giving these tests as an option at the pier. Charge $50 pp and I would think this would cover the cost. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you now add in the vaccinated passengers who "didn't get their test results back" (i.e., couldn't be bothered to follow the protocol and get a test done), there will be an unknown number (hundreds of more people) that need to be tested. The goal is to get people in and out without causing social distancing problems. 

It is very easy to prove you have a test result pending and aren’t lying about it because you “can’t be bothered” to get a test. What isn’t easy is getting a test result back within 3 days. I’ve had two Covid tests over the past year, one at Rite Aid and one at CVS. Each took almost 5 days. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vegascruiser1 said:

I will be in the same predicament. We get off the Freedom on December 3rd (Friday) and get on the Radiance December 5th (Sunday). At least we have a couple of months to figure this out. 

You think that's bad.  I'm scheduled for Oasis Sept. 5 sail from Bayonne, but the test cruise wont end until August 28th.   It is still listed as a live cruise, but wondering how will all of the coordination be accomplished.

When will the next round of cancellations be announced.

22 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You think that's bad.  I'm scheduled for Oasis Sept. 5 sail from Bayonne, but the test cruise wont end until August 28th.   It is still listed as a live cruise, but wondering how will all of the coordination be accomplished.

When will the next round of cancellations be announced.

Yikes! Nothing like waiting until the last moment. I know the Freedom has been going out, but haven’t heard anything regarding the Radiance. One thing good there isn’t any flying involved. 

I am scheduled to depart on Aug 22 on the Allure. Will have my PRC done on Aug 19th. I figure that worst come to worst, if my results are not available at check in time, I am willing to pay the $178 that they are offering to unvaccinated folks. The only things is my cruise in scheduled to stop in St.Thomas, where that is a whole other ball of wax. But I assume that the tests will still be available for children, if there are any. Maybe I am just being the worry wart I always am.

11 hours ago, RumJunkie said:

Under the new policy (through Dec 31) you have to get a covid test prior to boarding EVEN IF YOU ARE VACCINATED (though not for most 4 day or less sailings).

That is nothing new, been around for quite a few days now....yes we're all scrambling to schedule our testing, but we will be armed with not one (Rapid) but 2 (PCR) tests on boarding day.  And Sooooooo glad I continued sewing up my goody bag covid masks for my party, at one point I didn't think they'd come in too handy, but now!  At least we'll all be stylin.  But nothing will stop me from sitting out on deck WITHOUT a mask watching Big Blue and the world go by, if they want to post a crew member at my deck chair so be it, otherwise back off!

null_zpsed037e0d.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Not a chance. You will get refunded. This is how misinformation starts and rumors. Do yourself a favor and call back You will get another answer.

AND...I'm not so sure they won't have Rapid testing at terminal for those who want to pay some bucks for it.  I'd think they'd almost have to do that after what's been happening with Celebrity cruises.  In fact they should have it available since it IS very hard to find.  I've been researching in our area for days.  Finally have a plan, then a backup plan and a contingency plan as well for when we reach Florida.  Ain't takin any chances...........😇

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

I find this Royal Caribbean discussion interesting. We cruise with RC next January.

HOWEVER,  we have an MSC cruise out of Miami next month.

They will NOT accept any tests in advance. You get tested at the pier. unvaccinated pay for it, vaccinated do not but all get the test.

Very nerve wracking !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soremekun said:

Selfishly, I hope this is resolved before my December cruise on Anthem.

Policies change so I hope this is changed by then.

Same -- I cruise early November.  Hoping this all gets changed yet again before then.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I find this Royal Caribbean discussion interesting. We cruise with RC next January.

They will NOT accept any tests in advance. You get tested at the pier. unvaccinated pay for it, vaccinated do not but all get the test.

Very nerve wracking !

I like that setup better than the current RC setup.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We needed to do this in May for a trip to Hawaii. we did at PCR test through CVS. My results came back within 3 days and my daughter’s did not. CVS said most tests come back within 3 days but don’t guarantee that. We had to cancel last minute. Thankfully the airlines, hotel and tours all refunded us  although the airlines are vouchers.  I absolutely would never do this again.

4 minutes ago, paradise4me said:

We needed to do this in May for a trip to Hawaii.

OMG, same here.  Our daughter got married there (she was stationed there AF) we started preparing months in advance, but Hawaii's requirements weren't just hoops, they were roadblocks!  As a diabetic I couldn't even get the test done at CVS or Walgreens and back Jan. 1 (wedding day) things were quite different.  The state would only accept certain testing centers such as the ones I mentioned and it had to be no more than 3 days before flying, we would've had to drive 5 hours up and back to Little Rock for it and finally, we just gave up...that's right we missed the whole wedding.  I was so steamed.  We did a Zoom thing so we got to see it, but couldn't even hear the service or the I DOs.  What a mess.  Even if we had gone, Hawaii had rules about how many could attend, how many attendants and it was ON THE BEACH.  Retd!

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because it takes infrastructure set up to handle testing at check-in. The cruise line knows approximately how many unvaxxed passengers they have on each cruise and can schedule nurses and lab techs to do the on-site testing. 

"Couldn't be bothered" is rather insulting.  

My cruise leaves on the Sunday after Thanksgiving making a Thursday test possibly, and more probably than not, difficult. And honestly, who wants to run around on Thanksgiving Day getting a Covid test? Yeah, you are right about that - I can't be bothered to do that while I'm cooking a dinner for 20 people.

I haven't purchased my air yet, but I was considering leaving on Friday rather than Saturday and now that will also be a problem.

Yes, I understand testing is available at the Miami airport, but that sounds like it might be expensive - not sure why I should have to pay extra to get a test.  

Sorry, but I don't care how accommodating Royal can be for unvaxxed passengers or the infrastructure that will be necessary to test at the pier - that shouldn't be my problem.  Just make the test available to me at the pier.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, sailor05 said:

And with the resurgence of the virus (Delta), are we heading back to the way it was last spring/summer where it was a freakin nightmare to get tested? They really  should look into giving these tests as an option at the pier. Charge $50 pp and I would think this would cover the cost. 

$50 at the pier, I can handle.  But the $150 pp I'm hearing if you are tested at the airport is not.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Very nerve wracking !

And if it is necessary to test everyone, that is exactly how it should be.  Kudos to MSC and a big thumbs down to Royal.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RumJunkie said:

If you do not get test results for ANY reasons (lab delay, email issues, etc) you will be Denied boarding and Forfeit all all money.  No refunds, no credits. 

Every trip covered by CWC can get a credit to a future cruise if cancelled within 2 days of departure. If you're unsure if you can secure a test for each of the traveling party before the trip just cancel and get your credit? Seems Royal gives you and every passenger every possible out and you're stressing out unnecessarily.

6 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Every trip covered by CWC can get a credit to a future cruise if cancelled within 2 days of departure. If you're unsure if you can secure a test for each of the traveling party before the trip just cancel and get your credit? Seems Royal gives you and every passenger every possible out and you're stressing out unnecessarily.

So easy to say for those of you who live in Florida or within driving distance to the port.

• Like 3

Just now, mek said:

So easy to say for those of you who live in Florida or within driving distance to the port.

You have plenty of time until your trip to re-arrange air too. Many airlines still have very lenient charge-free changes.

Edge tried to test everyone last weekend... after 5 hours in line.... they stopped the process. While Royal has more unvaccinated than Celebrity.... they likely have less than 10% of passenger list requiring testing at the pier... you add to that an unknown number of the remaining 90% and you have a mess like Edge had. I am not sure of the answer. The rapid test could be..but not as widely available as they might have thought. Perhaps they could do a reservation system... have passengers check out availability of rapid test... and for those without test in area allow to be done at the port. But you still have the issue of the possibility of being denied boarding at the pier... vs knowing it before you leave home. While the 5 day lead time does not catch all disease... it at least allows positive people the option of cancelling before the 48 hour deadline and for most before the trip to the port. Not sure shortening the time requirement helps that much.. 

• Like 1

Just now, coldflame said:

You have plenty of time until your trip to re-arrange air too. Many airlines still have very lenient charge-free changes.

You really don't get it.  Who wants to run around at the stroke of midnight ,(and a holiday weekend), changing travel plans because Royal can't provide testing at the pier?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1