COVID TESTS AT WALGREENS

ROYALBOY

Those are the tests that Walgreen's offers, not necessarily what's available. If you click on the box beside Rapid Antigen, you probably won't see any availability. Last time I searched out of curiosity, the closest locations to Fort Lauderdale that offered appointments for Rapid Antigen were in Virginia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Those are the tests that Walgreen's offers, not necessarily what's available. If you click on the box beside Rapid Antigen, you probably won't see any availability. Last time I searched out of curiosity, the closest locations to Fort Lauderdale that offered appointments for Rapid Antigen were in Virginia.

How far do they go out for appointment?

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

How far do they go out for appointment?

Not sure. Walgreens appears to require you to register to get the available appointments screen; CVS Minute Clinics show appointments and then you give them information. I don't need a test, haven't gone to the next screen on Walgreens. The main thing is that Walgreens in the Miami/FLL area is offering PCR that they're apparently sending off site with a 24-48 hour (not guaranteed...) turnaround.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Not sure. Walgreens appears to require you to register to get the available appointments screen; CVS Minute Clinics show appointments and then you give them information. I don't need a test, haven't gone to the next screen on Walgreens. The main thing is that Walgreens in the Miami/FLL area is offering PCR that they're apparently sending off site with a 24-48 hour (not guaranteed...) turnaround.

That's what happened to me, lol, I was hoping someone that was sailing sooner than we were would know. 

I'm having no luck with Walmart pharmacies, despite having gotten both my vaccine shots there. 

From past experience, Walgreens opens appointments 3 days out.

I do not believe the red dot is available in CA, it wasn’t in May.

We used the PCR (purple dot) and had results the following day/night.

If you test with Walgreens be sure you test before they have had their Fed Ex pick up for the day or it wont go out same day.

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

All 3 are accepted per Celebrity site. 

It says antigen and NAAT.

The Binox is just a bit more accurate but like first choice is antigen.

Two quicker choices as well as longer PCR

The NAAT test (ID NOW) is not accepted to get on the ship. NAAT and Antigen are acceptable to gain entry to the US. To board the ship the cruise line specifically requires PCR or Antigen. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

All 3 are accepted per Celebrity site. 

It says antigen and NAAT.

The Binox is just a bit more accurate but like first choice is antigen.

Two quicker choices as well as longer PCR

Be very careful with that. What Celebrity says is PCR or Antigen test. All PCRs are NAATs, but not all NAATs are PCR. The IDNow is now a PCR, and so far I've not seen anyone get clarification from Celebrity that they will accept the IDNow.

I've done the ID NAAT one before and results came back within 45min. I also done the PCR one from Walgreens and it came back within 24hr. Though with the increase number of testing due, there might be a delay again. I've not done antigen test at Walgreen/CVS, but I've gotten results back within 15min.

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

From past experience, Walgreens opens appointments 3 days out.

I do not believe the red dot is available in CA, it wasn’t in May.

We used the PCR (purple dot) and had results the following day/night.

If you test with Walgreens be sure you test before they have had their Fed Ex pick up for the day or it wont go out same day.

My experience was that while the Antigen test was listed on the website for our local Walgreens it isn't available here.  And they also didn't open appointments until three days out.  But since the test is sent to a lab in Tennessee I was told that it would be a minimum of 72 hours to receive the test results.  

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

Be very careful with that. What Celebrity says is PCR or Antigen test. All PCRs are NAATs, but not all NAATs are PCR. The IDNow is now a PCR, and so far I've not seen anyone get clarification from Celebrity that they will accept the IDNow.

Wow you just confirmed how confusing everything is.

I always thought both rapid tests were ok.

I know Idnow uses PCR elements in testing meaning a quicker version.

I just wish all cruise lines and CDC would use Exact words and clarifications on what test to take. 

Me also thinks that all pharmacies are going to get busy as well as lots more confusion.

What a mess. On line searches lead down a rabbit holes of confusing information

I do like your answer though as it feels like both rapid are ok.

I hear that some intl ports do accept Idnow.

• Like 3

'I just wish all cruise lines and CDC would use Exact words and clarifications on what test to take. 

Me also thinks that all pharmacies are going to get busy as well as lots more confusion.'

Totally agree! 

Too many opinions being provided without validity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oxo said:

'I just wish all cruise lines and CDC would use Exact words and clarifications on what test to take. 

Me also thinks that all pharmacies are going to get busy as well as lots more confusion.'

Totally agree! 

Too many opinions being provided without validity.

I'm confident that the opinion expressed in post #2 is valid.  Markeb has clearly explained why.  This issue has been "resolved" here several times on several theads.

Edited by canderson
stupid spellchecker on Markeb

i just looked up on the internet and the Molecular test (Id Now) are supposed to be more accurate. see below I found on www.health.com

1) Antigen tests are highly accurate. The problem is, these tests are more likely to miss active infection

2)  Molecular test (aka RNA or PCR test)

These diagnostic tests are considered the most sensitive for detecting an active infection, and the results are highly accurate.

wish cruise web site would expand their words to include molecular or not

Walgreens books 3 days out, as previously mentioned.  CVS allows you to book 2 weeks out.

PCR is the most accurate.  I've had 4 PCR tests so far.  Received results back in less than 24 hours.  But, I'm in OH, which probably doesn't have the same demand as FL which is now raging out of control and demand is high!  So, for those traveling to embark/disembark from FL, pre-book your tests as far ahead as possible.

These are the CVS tests....(from their WEB site).....

Molecular lab test (PCR/NAAT)

The most accurate test available.

Results typically take 1-2 days.Link, go to disclaimer for details2

Test performed in drive-thru lane.

Required for most travel.

Rapid-result test

Reliable for people who are recently infected or with symptoms.

Results within hours.

Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline.

4 hours ago, markeb said:

I agree that Walgreens Antigen test availability is sparse.  CVS seem to be much better.  There are multiple within 10 miles of my house offering them.

Here is a CVS within a couple of miles of the port with Antigen appointments available every day starting next Thurs.  In most locations the next few days are generally hard to book but looking further out there are appointments available.

image.thumb.png.cba0e6c276167dd6513759a5232615cd.png

Edited by wrk2cruise

5 hours ago, atexsix said:

That's what happened to me, lol, I was hoping someone that was sailing sooner than we were would know. 

I'm having no luck with Walmart pharmacies, despite having gotten both my vaccine shots there. 

We are in Portland, Oregon. I used Covid Clinic. They have lots of places around Oregon and Washington. $99 for an Antigen test. Register online. Go to location. They verify some info, do test and you have results email and text in under 30 minutes. I used them when we went to Curacao in June and already made appointment for us for September 3 before flight to FLL. I highly recommend. Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS and others (at least in our area) could not guarantee results within 72 hours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snorkel2 said:

We are in Portland, Oregon. I used Covid Clinic. They have lots of places around Oregon and Washington. $99 for an Antigen test. Register online. Go to location. They verify some info, do test and you have results email and text in under 30 minutes. I used them when we went to Curacao in June and already made appointment for us for September 3 before flight to FLL. I highly recommend. Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS and others (at least in our area) could not guarantee results within 72 hours.

Thank you!  Sounds promising.

24 minutes ago, snorkel2 said:

This might be our saving grace, thank you so much for the info, I've passed it on to my roll call. 

This is my initial concern and another reason why this is such a mess, stated on the website for Covid Clinic is: The antigen test administered to the patient will be one of three tests, but Covid Clinic is unable to guarantee which of the tests will be utilized for a specific patient. 

Whether or not that presents an issue or not I don't know.

28 minutes ago, atexsix said:

This might be our saving grace, thank you so much for the info, I've passed it on to my roll call. 

This is my initial concern and another reason why this is such a mess, stated on the website for Covid Clinic is: The antigen test administered to the patient will be one of three tests, but Covid Clinic is unable to guarantee which of the tests will be utilized for a specific patient. 

Whether or not that presents an issue or not I don't know.

There are 32 FDA authorized antigen tests in the US. As long as they’re using one of those, you should be fine. Do they list the test names? It shouldn’t matter for acceptance if it’s Abbott or Qwest, etc. And I think that’s what they’re saying. Or there are folks out there shopping for specific tests. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

There are 32 FDA authorized antigen tests in the US. As long as they’re using one of those, you should be fine. Do they list the test names? It shouldn’t matter for acceptance if it’s Abbott or Qwest, etc. And I think that’s what they’re saying. Or there are folks out there shopping for specific tests. 

No they didn't list the names, but I think you're right, I can't see the printed covid test results having that much detail on it, especially since it doesn't sound like there's a standard similar to the vaccine cards.

I had no problem traveling to Curacao with Covid Clinic Antigen test. If I remember right they provided a laboratory/test accreditation sheet with the test. Wish I would have saved what they sent but it was over a month ago and I shredded all that when I got home. I was pleased with their service and the cost wasn't bad @ $99. My insurance won't cover travel related. My friend who I traveled with from Dallas had a hard time finding even a PCR (could not find an Antigen) that would come in within the 72 hours time requirement of Curacao. I think she was charged over $300 for the test but the lab billed her insurance (Medicare I think) and she only ended up paying $39. We about went crazy trying to determine all the different tests and time requirements and many of the places themselves gave incorrect info. I booked what I thought was a PCR at a local urgent clinic but when they called to verify appointment I re-asked to make sure I was getting the right test and it was not. After that I just booked with the Covid Clinic and it was done. All their different tests, timelines and costs are spelled out. They will NOT bill insurance.

I totally get people's confusion and frustration trying to figure this all out. When you are under last minute time pressure it is even worse.