Census

I did it this afternoon. Pretty quick.

As others have said, seemed a bit light on for getting good data.

There were some questions which did not seem to have enough options. 
The family background — where did the ancestors come from. I entered Irish from the list, added Welsh in the other box. Then I tried to add English:

Warning Will Robinson. Danger, danger danger.

Only 2 choices permitted.

Left English out, of course.

40 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I did it this afternoon. Pretty quick.

As others have said, seemed a bit light on for getting good data.

There were some questions which did not seem to have enough options. 
The family background — where did the ancestors come from. I entered Irish from the list, added Welsh in the other box. Then I tried to add English:

Warning Will Robinson. Danger, danger danger.

Only 2 choices permitted.

Left English out, of course.

For family background/ancestry we put Australian, as the example they gave was for parents or grandparents born overseas. All our ancestors who came to Australia were great grandparents or further back. We both have English, Scottish and Irish ancestors who came to Australia.

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

For family background/ancestry we put Australian, as the example they gave was for parents or grandparents born overseas. All our ancestors who came to Australia were great grandparents or further back. We both have English, Scottish and Irish ancestors who came to Australia.

Perhaps I should read instructions.

But not a small number could have grandparents born in 4 countries. Especially with WW2 dislocation.

Or in countries which no longer exist.

32 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I really don't know... the only things they found out was we were at home and not in Tasmania....

Also I not plan in dying tomorrow night...

as have already bought dinner and the wine is on the ice....lol

In fact it was really pretty boring......

Don

Good on you Don. Would be such a pity to waste dinner and wine!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

But not a small number could have grandparents born in 4 countries. Especially with WW2 dislocation.

In my experience most family members married people from their own country.  (A friend who was taken fromPoland to work on German farms married a fellow Pole working on the farms. after the war they worked for the British before being given the opportunity to migrate to Australia. They didn’t go home to Poland first.  Later I took their daughter back to meet all the old relatives on both sides.in Poland.  They would each bring out things her parents sent them as Poland was very poor after the war.).

My girls never forgave me for having British relatives too far back to give them British entry privileges. 
My husbands family all married Germans in Australia for generations.

25 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Yes I agree Adrian, it is a badly written question and we should be able to tick more than two countries.

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes I agree Adrian, it is a badly written question and we should be able to tick more than two countries.

When I paid the big bucks out for an Ancestry.com DNA test, I found out, apart from Enlish and Irish ancestry, I had Saxon which are the Germanic Countries and Nordic which are Scandinavian. Yes just permitting two countries on the form is not really fair dinkum.

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

When I paid the big bucks out for an Ancestry.com DNA test, I found out, apart from Enlish and Irish ancestry, I had Saxon which are the Germanic Countries and Nordic which are Scandinavian. Yes just permitting two countries on the form is not really fair dinkum.

How long ago did you have your test Les? From our family knowledge and then my own research I was aware of our ancestry. We both did an Ancestry DNA test a few years ago, Rob has 31% England  & north west Europe, 31% Scottish, 14% Ireland, 13% Norway, Wales 11% and I have 49% Scottish/Northern Ireland, 36% England & north west Europe, 15% Ireland. 

We weren't aware of our convict ancestry until I started my research. 

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Maybe they could do research on suggested

questions to be asked for next census. The questions are as important as the answers as Aust has changed so much in my lifetime.

I have worked for the census for the last few times.

i had to give out forms and them collect them.  Had my fair share of rude words and penis drawn on the forms.

with being in lockdown some of the questions are going to be skewed 

not many of Sydneysiders went to work last week or did any volunteer work, although we do Normally 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cruise love said:

I have worked for the census for the last few times.

i had to give out forms and them collect them.  Had my fair share of rude words and penis drawn on the forms.

with being in lockdown some of the questions are going to be skewed 

not many of Sydneysiders went to work last week or did any volunteer work, although we do Normally 

I did think of working for census at one stage but thought of dogs turned me off. I didn’t think I might be exposed to rude words and artwork. 

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

How long ago did you have your test Les? From our family knowledge and then my own research I was aware of our ancestry. We both did an Ancestry DNA test a few years ago, Rob has 31% England  & north west Europe, 31% Scottish, 14% Ireland, 13% Norway, Wales 11% and I have 49% Scottish/Northern Ireland, 36% England & north west Europe, 15% Ireland. 

We weren't aware of our convict ancestry until I started my research. 

Did the DNA thing about 3 yrs ago.  I knew I was English/Irish but unaware of the Saxon, Nordic bits. Of course Vikings and the Germanic people invaded Britain like the Romans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Did the DNA thing about 3 yrs ago.  I knew I was English/Irish but unaware of the Saxon, Nordic bits. Of course Vikings and the Germanic people invaded Britain like the Romans.

Yes evidence of Vikings everywhere. Plus close relationships between Germans and Royalty.  I knew I was British/American but never thought of their history. 
Recently I saw an interesting segment about a coloured person who passed for white her whole life on Margo Kelly.  She even wore pale makeup to bed.  Seems her husband was a bigot and didn’t know.

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good on you Don. Would be such a pity to waste dinner and wine!

Have just been to Doctors.... He says I won't be dying any time soon....

Better put some more wine on the ice....lol

Now so excited only 6 years or so until the next census........

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Sounds like I misunderstood the ancestor question😳 I took it to mean your ethnicity😂

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

It could mean either I think. 

Well I put down Australian for both of us, I'm 8th generation born in Australia from good convict stock that both husband and wife had served their 7 years in Port Arthur Tasmania. My wife goes back many generations here and in a very early photo of a Great something Grandmother she either had very dark skin or there was a problem with early photography. 🙂 So if this buggers up their ancestry figures they should ask clearer questions.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Well I put down Australian for both of us, I'm 8th generation born in Australia from good convict stock that both husband and wife had served their 7 years in Port Arthur Tasmania. My wife goes back many generations here and in a very early photo of a Great something Grandmother she either had very dark skin or there was a problem with early photography. 🙂 So if this buggers up their ancestry figures they should ask clearer questions.

I agree. We put Australian too. We also have Tasmanian convict ancestors - 6 to 8 generations back. Husband's included a husband and wife, plus wife's mother and sister. Mine included 2 fathers and sons.

Edited by possum52

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I agree. We put Australian too. We also have Tasmanian convict ancestors - 6 to 8 generations back. Husband's included a husband and wife, plus wife's mother and sister. Mine included 2 fathers and sons.

Some people get all the interesting family history!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Not forgetting those convict ancestors came from UK/Ireland.

1318453986_th(1).jpg.c25045fe8d9d45f4cd462a99d57d056d.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Have just been to Doctors.... He says I won't be dying any time soon....

Better put some more wine on the ice....lol

Now so excited only 6 years or so until the next census........

Don

Ha ha  so you’ll be around for next census

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

You are right the question probably needs to be clearer 😂. I was thinking the question is more so they can see what ethnic groups are in Australia since not every ethnic group has a country like you could put your parents are born Cambodia but you actually identify as Hmong🤔