Census

I did mine a few minutes ago. Took all of about 5 minutes. The question of registered vehicles pulled me up for a second or two. Had to do a count. Answer was eight (not including my bike trailer and  caravan). Three cars and five motorcycles.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I did mine a few minutes ago. Took all of about 5 minutes. The question of registered vehicles pulled me up for a second or two. Had to do a count. Answer was eight (not including my bike trailer and  caravan). Three cars and five motorcycles.

really impressive.  Are they all working?  I didn’t count my Hillman Minx wreck!

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

really impressive.  Are they all working?  I didn’t count my Hillman Minx wreck!

Yes. IIRC the question asked for registered vehicles. I have about another fifteen bikes unregistered although I haven't done an actual count for a while - some are runners, some not, and some in various stages of restoration.

Interesting question.... but why on the census ?  state rego bodies would all ready have that info ....   

Standing cost is always the killer for multiple vehicles 

Had Car, 4WD and bike for many years... standing costs were getting high..

but still have Car & 4WD..... the Car in garage on average  is about a minimum of $6 per day to sit there.

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Interesting question.... but why on the census ?  state rego bodies would all ready have that info ....   

Standing cost is always the killer for multiple vehicles 

Had Car, 4WD and bike for many years... standing costs were getting high..

but still have Car & 4WD..... the Car in garage on average  is about a minimum of $6 per day to sit there.

I can relate to that because you can only drive one car at a time. I haven’t counted the cost.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Yes. IIRC the question asked for registered vehicles. I have about another fifteen bikes unregistered although I haven't done an actual count for a while - some are runners, some not, and some in various stages of restoration.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Do you have special registration for antique vehicles or full registration?

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I can relate to that because you can only drive one car at a time. I haven’t counted the cost.

About 18 months after Rolf retired we decided having two cars was a waste of money so now we just have one. 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Do you have special registration for antique vehicles or full registration?

The bikes and caravan have NSW Historic Registration. Must be 30 years old, in as close as possible to original condition. Registration and greenslip total cost is $50 pa per bike (including 3rd party greenslip insurance) and may be operated for personal use up to 60 days pa plus club events.

I know that is sensible. However I notice retired people in my street with two cars.

I guess it depends on your lifestyle. Our retired neighbours have two cars but they have a lot of different interests so were often out at different places at the same time pre-lockdown. 

We've managed to work our way around the very, very few times when two cars would have been useful so it's never been a problem. Ubers are cheaper than having a second car for those rare occasions.

The extra bonus is we can now offer visitors off-street parking in the spare space in our carport. We've even been known to let out-of-town friends park there while they went on a cruise in the past.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

24 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The bikes and caravan have NSW Historic Registration. Must be 30 years old, in as close as possible to original condition. Registration and greenslip total cost is $50 pa per bike (including 3rd party greenslip insurance) and may be operated for personal use up to 60 days pa plus club events.

I think that is a good Govt initiative to help with cost of upkeep of historic vehicles.  Do you take them to club events and on trips ?

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I guess it depends on your lifestyle. Our retired neighbours have two cars but they have a lot of different interests so were often out at different places at the same time pre-lockdown. 

We've managed to work our way around the very, very few times when two cars would have been useful so it's never been a problem. Ubers are cheaper than having a second car for those rare occasions.

The extra bonus is we can now offer visitors off-street parking in the spare space in our carport. We've even been known to let out-of-town friends park there while they went on a cruise in the past.

Works better in urban areas where there is plenty of public transport, taxis, ubers etc, not so great further out with less services. Not sure my license has many more renewals left (if any) so heading to a one car family again

59 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Works better in urban areas where there is plenty of public transport, taxis, ubers etc, not so great further out with less services. Not sure my license has many more renewals left (if any) so heading to a one car family again

Yes license renewal for older people is always a worry. 
My doctor had to certify I was fit to cruise on my last couple of cruises. I can’t remember what she wrote on the last one but I remember thinking what do you mean??  

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think that is a good Govt initiative to help with cost of upkeep of historic vehicles.  Do you take them to club events and on trips ?

Sure do. Historic clubs have regular rides, rallies, coffee runs etc.. My last long trip was an annual rally for FJ Yamaha owners a few months ago. That was a weekend at Bingara with a side trip to Narrabri and back. It was good to get out of the burbs for a few days. Some riders came from interstate. Had about 50 people roll up for that event, including WAGs. I'm guessing the average age of attendees would be about 50+.

Edited by lyndarra

13 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Sure do. Historic clubs have regular rides, rallies, coffee runs etc.. My last long trip was an annual rally for FJ Yamaha owners a few months ago. That was a weekend at Bingara with a side trip to Narrabri and back. It was good to get out of the burbs for a few days. Some riders came from interstate. Had about 50 people roll up for that event, including WAGs. I'm guessing the average age of attendees would be about 50+.

Sounds like great clubs to belong to. You must make good friendships with people who share a common interest. Agree it is good to get out into the regions and the Bush.
My dream was to own a truck camper and join a motor home club.  

My dream was to own a truck camper and join a motor home club.  

Ha, My current dream is to escape the house & go with Tracey to Coffee Club for one of those big breakfasts that Uncle Les posts on here 🙂 

My previous dream was to win the powerball jackpot last night, but seems I didn't 😮 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Ha, My current dream is to escape the house & go with Tracey to Coffee Club for one of those big breakfasts that Uncle Les posts on here 🙂 

My previous dream was to win the powerball jackpot last night, but seems I didn't 😮 

Here you are Neil, just for you mate..enjoy..

20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

We didn't win it either. 😥

I'm missing going out for lunch to our favourite local restaurants. But luckily even though we can't go to Sugarlane, Sugarlane can come to us, so we had our favourite dishes for dinner last night: crispy chicken witb blood orange sauce, pad Thai, and stirfried veges. 

20210812_185603.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was evidently won by a Victorian man who had lost his job due to Covid. 

49 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It was evidently won by a Victorian man who had lost his job due to Covid. 

The whole 80 million? Wow! At least it went to someone who really needed it. I hope he gets some really good financial advise on how to manage his win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm missing going out for lunch to our favourite local restaurants. But luckily even though we can't go to Sugarlane, Sugarlane can come to us, so we had our favourite dishes for dinner last night: crispy chicken witb blood orange sauce, pad Thai, and stirfried veges. 

20210812_185603.jpg

Did it taste as good?